Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Difficulty Curve. YIKES. EOTN, etc...

dmxkrewdmxkrew Member Posts: 56

Woah, did I miss something entirely?

My GF and I have Droknars (max) armor with great runes/insignias, and are both wielding perfect weapons... we have unlocked a bunch of heroes, levelled them (ETON / Nightfall) and have carefully laid out their skills and upgraded their weapons.

She is level 19 and I am 18, but we have the Buff of the North (or whatever) that lets you play as level 20.

We tried to do the Curse of the Nornbear chain and honestly could not get past the second area.  We managed to get past the mobs of Charr but those giants with the spiked clubs and waves of ice ele's completely wiped us... we were -60% within minutes.

Frankly, Im terrified... !  LOL.  What exactly are we doing wrong?  I am Wa/Mo, she is Ra/Me -- we have a good balance of ranged and melee with healer and protector monk... should we run a straight Nuke group?  Should I drop my protection and go for all out str/swo/tactics and use a bunch of +2 swordsmanship runes?  Or should I just breathe deep and figure out a way around these guys (avoiding?)

I feel like some parts of this game are insane... like the run to droknars forge... wtf.  unless you have a dervish who has that skill where they go unnoticed (forgot the name) how is it even possible?

Should I hit the books and work on our builds?

Thanks for any and all input!  I felt like it was fairly tough but managable up until this point... now its just extremely hard.... Im scared of the dungeons!

Comments

• Adogg1337Adogg1337 Member Posts: 14

Adogg has come to save the day.

Ill be nice to you, since anywhere else, I and others would flame you down.

1. If I could see your build, I might be able to help you run something that works faster. And remember, only 1 rune works at a time, so 2 swordsmanships is a waste of health.

2. I beat most all of EoTn with myself, and hereos,henchmen. If you are having problems, try rearranging your builds and hereos.

3. It looks like you have multiple quests active, that is why the charr spawned, and maybe those ice ele's.

4. The drocks run is hard because it is an exploit of the map. it isn't supposed to work like it does, so unless your really good, it will be hard seeing anet always find new nerfs for it.

5. don't worry bout dungeons, as long as your smart, you can go through them fast.

6. if you need help. add me to your friends Adogg The Superior, and I will gather some guildies.

• dmxkrewdmxkrew Member Posts: 56

Yo - I appreciate your honesty (and sense of humor) :)

My build is super noob, super basic... up until this point ive been just winging it and getting used to the game, until EOTN, nothing has proved too challenging.

I forgot the name of all the skills but its the adrenaline shout first, then the str-based +damage hit like powerful strike or something, two adrenaline bleeding skills next: gash and something else, ressurect, the skill that adds roughly 100 hp, the skill that decreases the damage you take by like 12 for 8 seconds, and the skill that lets you block everything for like 5 seconds ... and res signet.

When i get home from work Ill fill this out properly... I appreciate your patience :)

- Question - Does it matter in what order you put your skills for yourself or your heros? (slots 1-8), does it affect how they use them?

- Question - Active Quests?  You mean an instanced explorable zone will activate elements of a questline (such as roaming mobs) if you have it even in your questlog?  Or highlighted?  Do I have to "abandon" that quest to remove it from being active or can I deactivate it ?

Thanks a TON for your help and your offer to aid in-game.

Much appreciated!

• RothaelaRothaela Member Posts: 15

I've got two main 20s I play; Quiet Madness my necro and Child of the Summer my Ranger/necro. Most of the stuff in the game I do with heroes and henchies. Currently I run with Jora, Koss, and the dwarf monk..then get Devona, Mehnlo, Cynn and Lina. I have Jora and Koss set to compliment each other with their shouts and use Paragon secondaries for them, it makes for some nifty buffs that way. I also have them carrying cold damage swords that compliment my necro skills that interrupt whenever an enemy is hit with cold damage.

When I'm playing my Ranger I use the same heroes and henchies but make sure that Jora and Koss have shield bash and another interrupting attack. Between the two of them and Devona most of the stuff is on the ground a lot and then I just use Barrage to my heart's content.

I am in no way an expert on power sets; I only know that most of the time I survive quite well. Using heroes is an advantage because you can control the powers everyone is packing. I've played around with a lot of stuff before settling on the powers I use now that all compliment each other. Since death penalty is erased when you zone back to a city I'd suggest playing around with different things and warping back and doing it again. I've found that better than researchiing the so called Uber builds out there.

/end of two cents worth

I am the mother of 4; therefore I am insane.

• TraceGaleIIITraceGaleIII Member Posts: 48

Lol dont feel bad i was still somewhat a newb when EotN hit me and a friend of mine,derv, went through some quest and stuff i stuck to the charr portion to get use to it but some parts of the game are really hard.

I sped through Proph with my friend in two days i think we used a real group once for the last like three missions.

• TalynTalyn Member UncommonPosts: 587

I'd suggest reading up on the Hero and Hero Behavior pages on the wiki.

Heroes use a left-to-right priority for their skills, typically. In other words, put the skill you want them to use most on the first (left) slot, and work your way right.

Heroes aren't good at energy management, so for caster heroes you'll likely want a full radiant set and give them a secondary profession that has some skill, glyph or whatever that will reduce the amount of energy used.

Heroes are ungodly at interrupts... giving them either mesmer or ranger interrupt skills makes a huge difference. They scan the enemies *fast* (with priority on whatever target *you* are fighting) and interrupt like there's no tomorrow.

For great builds and ideas, check the Heroes section at PvXwiki too.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

It's most likely your build.

Make sure you have around 2 Eles, 2 Monks, a tank and a minion master Necromancer hero with sufficient skills and you should do fine. If you don't already have a minion master, I'd highly recommend setting up one, as the minions act as good meat shields.

Unlocking better skills will take time. As you play you should notice it becoming easier as more powerful skills are unlocked.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

I usually go for something like this:

• Heroes:
      • Warrior with Cleave, DIsmember, Cyclone Axe etc.
      • Paragon with "Go For The Eyes!" and a few other attacking support skills and then healing support shouts.
      • Ritualist with Explosive Growth, Boon of Creation and some necromancer minion skills.
    • Henchmen:
      • Interruption Ranger (love that one)
      • Healing Monk
      • Fire Elementalist
      • Random spot.
    • Me:
      • Spirit spammer using protection spirits.

This build setup I've kept through all of EOTN, some parts of factions and Nightfall and it works 100%. Usually not a single death and no problems with damage or anything.

• SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

FWIW, I always take 3 monks with me on any of these missions: Lina, Mhenlo, and Dunkoro (the latter 2 are healers, Lina is Protector).

If I'm playing my warrior, my group generally looks like this:

1. W/Mo (me)

2. Dunkoro (or healer of your choice) hero

3. Olias, Master of Whispers or Livia spec'd as minion master

4. Your choice for hero here.  Almost anything works, depending on the situation.  Sometimes I take Gwen or Norgu set for Dom/SS (spiteful spirit) and other curses.  Sometimes a nuker, sometimes a barrage/pet ranger with interrupts (although pets less effective now they can no longer be exploited by MM when they die).  An Assassin or Dervish is a good pick here, too.  Keep in mind that if you're going up against a lot of Wisps (Vow of Silence) you'll want physical damage (melee and bow).  Against the Jotuns, casters with degen or health stealing are good.  But keep in mind some of those are mesmers with hex removal, so melee is good against them, too.

I usually fill team with henchies this way:

Lina (protector monk), Mhenlo (healer), Eve (blood necro for keeping the monks and casters charged) and last slot for henchie is your call, but I usually take Cynn for Meteor Shower: does decent damage withe knockdown.

Most of your damage from this team will come from you, MM, 3rd hero and 4th henchie.  Rest of team is there for support.  Almost nothing I couldn't handle with this team build until you get into the end-game and some of the dungeons.

Just make sure when you're building your heroes, you buff them with runes, Majors, at least.  They are cheapest (except for Major Vigor) and help them out alot.

I'd invite you to join me in game, but I'm taking a much needed break from Guild Wars right now.

Good luck and hope this helps.

• BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483

@DMX - I just have to ask because I'm helping some newbie friends get into GW - how far are you in the original campaign? Have you done any of the Crystal Desert quests? Have you unlocked many elite skills?

I think part of the problem is you've jumped from beginner to advanced - some of the EOTN content is challenging for veterans, and you can easily find yourself in over your head. Yes you have max gear but as any GW player worth their salt will tell you, gear is only part of the equation in this game. Before trying to tweak your hero party to max efficiency, I recommend simply continuing through Prophecies and unlocking more key skills. You won't want to miss becoming ascended or battling the Lich Lord in the final battle.

BTW, I think the EOTN trial was one of the worst things ArenaNet could do long-term. It's like Blizzard giving out free trials and dropping new players into Karazhan.