Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seige combat L2 vs DAOC

ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

What has been your experience with both games  ?How does the castle/keep seige experience compare....pros...cons....which is better...why ?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Well, if your guild holds a keep in DAOC, it imparts certain bonuses to just your guild.  (there's also relics' which impart realm wide benefits)  L2 has a similar mechanic, clans that hold castles impart taxes (as I recall) and get a host of benefits.

L2 only permits castle combat on a schedule, about once every two weeks as I recall. DAOC permits guilds to attack keeps over and over, and back in the day it wasn't impossible for a particular keep to change hands several times a day.

DAOC has siege engines, including catapaults, battering rams and other gear which can be employed by both attackers and defenders.  Since I never got to the hard core fighting in L2 I can't speak to it, but I seem to recall there were similar items.

In the standard DAOC server, holding a keep was cool, but not vital, on the FFA PVP server it was more personal, guilds staked out their claims on a keep and defended it against all comers.  Lineage 2 is more like this IMO.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EllyrionEllyrion Member Posts: 193

Originally posted by Arawon

What has been your experience with both games  ?How does the castle/keep seige experience compare....pros...cons....which is better...why ?
    Sorry about the cross post. Things have changed a little from what I outlined in your previous question on this subject.

The most significant change is the new layer of complexity added with the inclusion of the Fortresses. These now allow a rulling alliance to split up ownership of their estates amongst the Lord of the Realm ie castle owner, and his loyal supporters which can own fortresses within his domain gaining some of the benefits of owning a castle. (Most infact). There is also an option not to swear fealty to the Lord of the Realm but then this carries consequences and reprecussions for the Lord, ones which they are not likely to tolerate for long as it directly affects their clan reputation and finances. For further detail have a read of the patch notes on the official forums.

Regards,

Ellyrion Fiallathandriel

The Reckless Knight

Lunatris