Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well Done Turbine :D

2»

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Only 2 days into the trial and i'm having a blast with Lotro. Well done mmo, the graphics are awesome,no mindless grinding for levels, community is very helpful and just exploring middle-earth is fun. Most definitely will pick up the game tomorrow and take advantage of the Holiday offer. I read they are giving Angmar a facelift and going to be shoveling out more content soon so there will be plenty of content to keep me busy for awhile :D 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Dont forget they have 3 months for 29.99 $ deal

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Dont forget they have 3 months for 29.99 $ deal

Yeah and if I read correctly as long as you have an active account it stays that way too. I'll have to go to the main website just to make sure of that again. I been playing a Captain on the Brandywine server, it has been great fun.

• slythsslyths Member UncommonPosts: 208

for anyone who is intrested i'm on the Eldar server... and i'm currently trying all the classes but i privilage burglers and hunters... since i kind of hate direct combat

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

Originally posted by Flodgy

Originally posted by Lobotomist
    RAID
    A dirty concept used for a LAZY GAME DEVELOPERS to HIDE that they DO NOT WANT TO DEVELOP NEW CONTENT FOR GAME.
    SO instead they build ARTIFICIAL TIME SINKS aka RAIDS.

Thank you TRUBINE for developing actual NEW QUESTS instead of RAIDS
    Let Blizzard develop RAIDS for their brainwashed populace that think that FUN MEANS actuall repeating of some RAID instance for 100 times until their eyes pop out, brains turn into sponge and puke on mere mention of its name.
    But if you actually enjoy this - than please do go play your FUN game

This man speaks the truth.

But hell, as said, if you enjoy mindlessly raiding, go for it!

What kind of quests do they develop ?

I liked Lotro from the start. I played a hunter and minstrel to 30-34 and crafted with both as far as i was able to gather raws without dieing to often.

But then there was not much to do but group quests. There is plain nothing to do while downtimes or if you dont want to group or only have 25 minutes. Thats why EQ2 still is the queen of mmo. Many are maybe bored with it, but i do collections, grey heritages, grey adventure packs, books, L&L and languages when i dont feel like endgame or just have no time for endgame.

I am not saying EQ2 is the better game, but it has much more content. If Lotro would have some sideshows i most probably would be a better game.

• kranfkranf Member Posts: 5
    null
  • openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by eugam

I liked Lotro from the start. I played a hunter and minstrel to 30-34 and crafted with both as far as i was able to gather raws without dieing to often.
    But then there was not much to do but group quests. There is plain nothing to do while downtimes or if you dont want to group or only have 25 minutes. Thats why EQ2 still is the queen of mmo. Many are maybe bored with it, but i do collections, grey heritages, grey adventure packs, books, L&L and languages when i dont feel like endgame or just have no time for endgame.
    I am not saying EQ2 is the better game, but it has much more content. If Lotro would have some sideshows i most probably would be a better game.
    I think this was my issue as well. It is all well and good to quest away (LOTRO does have a good quest system...with lots of these)...but, the crafting was very light...kinda like WoW, and otherwise...what else was there?

In EQ2...I can do the following...Gather more than one type of material for crafting (and can sell what I do not need), do collections, do quests for crafting, do writs for Status (as it helps my guild level), language, AA systems...on and on...

I believe they have added the collection system for faction...but, anything else to do in LOTRO besides...quest or raid?

later

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by openedge1

Originally posted by eugam

I think this was my issue as well. It is all well and good to quest away (LOTRO does have a good quest system...with lots of these)...but, the crafting was very light...kinda like WoW, and otherwise...what else was there?

In EQ2...I can do the following...Gather more than one type of material for crafting (and can sell what I do not need), do collections, do quests for crafting, do writs for Status (as it helps my guild level), language, AA systems...on and on...

I believe they have added the collection system for faction...but, anything else to do in LOTRO besides...quest or raid?

later

Well let's see using your examples from EQ2 how well LoTRo stacks up:

"Gather more than one type of material for crafting (and can sell what I do not need)"

LoTRo has this.   Everyone can gather hides from kills... they are very sought after in the AH and can make even a beginning character very rich.  There are also the Critical crafting components that everyone can gather as well.  Depending on the item there is some good money to be made there as well.

If you choose the Explorer profession you can also gather Mineral resources (for Armorsmith, Weaponsmith, and Jeweler) and Wood resources (for Forester and misc.)  Each profession has at least one resource gathering ability with it.  So, even if a person doesn't choose the Explorer profession there will still be at least 3 different types of crafting components that a person can collect.

"Do collections"

For this one LoTRo doesn't have a direct correlation that would be comparable (i.e. no killing of mobs involved). 

However, there are Exploration Deeds available for every area that you come across which doesn't involve any killing.  It can be quite an adventure to find every spot to complete the Deed (especially if you don't "cheat" by looking up the location on a spoiler site), and some of them give very nice increases to your stats for completing as well.

"Do quests for Crafting"

LoTRo has Crafting quests as well.  Just because you dismiss LoTRo's crafting as "very light" doesn't mean that there aren't just as many or more people in LoTRo that enjoy it's crafting as EQ2's.  I'll gladly compare the quality and quantity of crafted items produced from LoTRo against anything that EQ2 has available for your character. 

The one area that is still lacking for crafting in LoTRo is in the housing items.  They are adding a slew more recipes in the upcoming books to address that area though... so even that may be on par in the near future.

Also remember... LoTRo has yet to celebrate it's first birthday or release it's first expansion.  EQ2 has the advantage of being over 3 years old AND 3 expansions and a few "adventure packs" under it's belt.    Considering that LoTRo stacks up as well as it does in it's first year is pretty impressive. 

"Do writs for Status"

The most comparable in LoTRo would be the Reputation system that was recently added.  It allows you to gain favor with a handful of NPC groups from around Middle Earth by collecting different items that drop off certain mobs.

Again, remember that the writs currently in EQ2 are not what it released with.  I believe they have been changed twice or perhaps 3 times to their now current functionality.  As with many things in EQ2, they have made many changes since it's release, a lot of them have made it a much better game than what it was upon release.  Some of them... not so much.   (The main example being the Crafting changes... I liked  the old way a lot better.)

"Language"

LoTRo has music with different instruments being trainable.  I'll venture to say the music in LoTRo is more popular than the different languages in EQ2... unless it's changed drastically since I left EQ2.

"AA systems"

LoTRo's closest match to this would be the Deeds and Traits available to all from the very first levels.  It is not as fully developed yet as EQ2's AA system... but considering that they released the game with the system already in place speaks volumes.  It will be added onto and expanded as it grows.

"on and on..."

LoTRo has more as well.  Come on... who can resist the temptation to play as a chicken! 

In the end it boils down to what a person finds fun. 

As for the amount of content... does EQ2 have 3 times the content of LoTRo?  I'd concede they have more content now that what LoTRo does now... but is it 300% more?  Also consider where EQ2 was 3 years ago... which game will be in a better position 3 years from now? 

The game I'm currently playing... LoTRo... is how I answered.

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

Originally posted by dragonace

"Do writs for Status"
    The most comparable in LoTRo would be the Reputation system that was recently added.  It allows you to gain favor with a handful of NPC groups from around Middle Earth by collecting different items that drop off certain mobs.

Ok, this is news.

Now dont worry. I am aware that Lotro is much younger then EQ2. The graphics are really great (minus the tree blending). This game will be around for quite a while. Still i think they need some sideshows. The one i liked is the guy who barters stuffed animals for bodyparts. Just sad that housing is so limited.. Even if 40 stuffed animals would be available, you dont want to collect them if you dont have room (housing slots) for them. 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by openedge1 I think this was my issue as well. It is all well and good to quest away (LOTRO does have a good quest system...with lots of these)...but, the crafting was very light...kinda like WoW, and otherwise...what else was there?

later

Just remember that you talk about EQ2 after what ?  4 years of existence , 4 adventure packs and 3 major expansions !

Remember EQ2 when it just came out ? It was so bad that its bad reputation killed it. Even today it is

not recognised as truly great game that it is , because of that.

LOTRO is also evolving. And it is evolving in great speed.

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332

LotRO may well have all the content detailed by the posters in this thread, but they fail to mention that much of it is extremely repetitive.  WOW may have firmly adopted the standard "Kill XX Boars,"  or "Gather XX Sticks," but LotRO took them to an extreme not seen before in any previous game.  If you think you don't grind in LotRO just try and get all the deeds, you'll see there's plenty of grinding out there. (and let's not even mention factions)

It seems that Turbine took a look at what made WOW successful and magnified and intesified them, while discarding WOW's already weak PVP system.

And what LotRO will never have is player controlled territories, influence/control of the economy, massive battles on an epic scale that the LotRO franchise is so famous for.  (Might as well toss in meaningful PVP as well)

So sure, if you like LotRO for what it is, I guess its a great game.  For the rest of us who are looking for a challenge in our gaming, (and please, you can't tell me there is anything challenging in LotRO) the game falls far short.

BTW OP, if you wish to praise Turbine for their fine efforts, feel free to post on the LotRO forums, I'm sure they read them more often than this one.  Otherwise your initial post was merely a troll attempt, and of course, look what happened, it drew a troll.

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by Trollstar

LotRO may well have all the content detailed by the posters in this thread, but they fail to mention that much of it is extremely repetitive.  WOW may have firmly adopted the standard "Kill XX Boars,"  or "Gather XX Sticks," but LotRO took them to an extreme not seen before in any previous game.  If you think you don't grind in LotRO just try and get all the deeds, you'll see there's plenty of grinding out there. (and let's not even mention factions)
    It seems that Turbine took a look at what made WOW successful and magnified and intesified them, while discarding WOW's already weak PVP system.
    I don't think you have enough information to state such a comment that Turbine took something from WoW.

There was Asheron's Call 2 three years before WoW. It was spamned with solo quests that sent you to kill X/X boars and collect X/X bazilisk eyes. AC2 was a Turbine game built on same engine as LOTRO. AC2 was the first game that was focused on solo easy content full of quests (This was an extreme already at that time).

REALITY CHECK

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Thillian

I don't think you have enough information to state such a comment that Turbine took something from WoW.

There was Asheron's Call 2 three years before WoW. It was spamned with solo quests that sent you to kill X/X boars and collect X/X bazilisk eyes. AC2 was a Turbine game built on same engine as LOTRO. AC2 was the first game that was focused on solo easy content full of quests (This was an extreme already at that time).

So, let me get this straight..Turbine made a game that is like...it's other game?

The same engine, same quest system? The same game that failed....?

Hmmm...was that smart? You decide....

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

Originally posted by Wiznumb

Johnny Motrin - "Just my Opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone but WOW = kids game, LOTRO = adult game. Again, this is just my opinion."
    Not offended, but this is coming from someone who's all time highest played game via xfire is Guildswars . . . the wtfbbq_O.o_pwnasaurusrex of all kid games?
    Those are the words who didn't play Guild Wars the way he should have. Try participating in the monthly tournaments, or you should have seen the previous tournaments.

That title is still reserved for WoW my friend ;) Although I think AoC will be even worse, I can imagine all those teenagers having 'fun'. After all, it's like the mmo fantasy version of GTA.

Anyway about LotRO, it isn't a bad game, but it lacked a reason to pay for a subscription a few months ago. However I've been thinking about opening my subscription again in a few months, that'll depend on Codemasters. Their servers were pathetic...

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

BTW OP, if you wish to praise Turbine for their fine efforts, feel free to post on the LotRO forums, I'm sure they read them more often than this one.  Otherwise your initial post was merely a troll attempt, and of course, look what happened, it drew a troll.
    I thought this part was interesting and a bit puzzling as well.

Some of us like making posts on mmorpg.com and we play LoTRo. 

With that as a given, where else should he make a post about LoTRo here on the mmorpg.com forums?  Or, are you suggesting that since his post is favorable of Turbine and LoTRo that he shouldn't make the post here on mmorpg.com's LoTRo forums? 

Hopefully you can clarify your statement, as I'm a bit perplexed.