Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO will define 2008 for the Genre?

Comments

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

Originally posted by dirtyjoe78

I am hoping taht an original IP comes along that is good i am disapointed with all the predefined IP's at least with a new one you have no predefined expectrations on how it should play, what classes, skills, sandbox or not ect.  Just hoping for a new IP game. 
    What you have just asked is why I am looking to TCOS it does seem to be doing something a bit different(well at least compared to recent releases).The all hybrid classes and the ability to group with any 3 guys to do something instead of the set "need tank"or "need healer"

I normally always play a healer so I am really looking forward to this game to try out all the hybrid classes,As for sandbox I dont think it will be that though with player housing etc promised after lauch and no raiding and all gear can be made it sure is looking good.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

I have read some on TCoS as well as Hero's Journey both look to have a lot of potential guess it is a waiting game now to see who delivers a good solid game in '08.

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400
    Originally posted by SpikeDX

AIon

Depends on how NCSoft handles this game if it is a grind heavy it will most likely fail or it will have it's niche players.  Having played Lineage 2 for 2.5 years i am really not a huge fan of the grind anymore but then grinding was always about hanging out in vent with your friends screwing around and leveling than serious grinding.

• CptObviousCptObvious Member Posts: 3

My vote will be hurled at WAR.

A well made skill system from all I've seen and heard. No one will have identical skill sets when you go a bashing into fights. PvP that is well developed, Orcs invading the capital of dwarves to ruinate it or the Keep sieges that were just recently talked about. Who doesn't want to attack a Keep of the enemy and let your guilds banner flap on the conquered walls? And not to forget the use of siege weapons against said keeps. One of those other things that made me smile was the changing as you get stronger. A high end orc will be bigger and meaner and darker skinned than a new orc, a high end dwarf's beard will be longer than a new dwarf.

Will it be able to topple WoW? No. As someone once said, you can't fix stupid, and thus that game will continue to thrive.

• QuantumQrackQuantumQrack Member UncommonPosts: 81

I would say AoC due to the mature content.  A lot of hype will be generated because the 18 and under crowd won't be able to access this content (but I am sure some sort of crack will be available later on).  Tits and blood are going to definitely attract teenage boys. (I am sure by design by funcom).

Also, the AoC world is very mature conceptually.  Howard wrote very adult and mature content.  I, for one, am very glad that a more mature MMO is going to be availabe to play.  I just hope the game mechanics are solid and innovative.

I really hope that the game is very open-ended and not story line driven except for epic and regular type quests.  I dont want to see an over-arching story like LOTRO has.

Time will tell just like it did with Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.  If it isn't what people want, then the money won't follow.

• Originally posted by pencilrick

I think Warhammer will make the biggest splash, then contract.  WAR is probably the most anticipated game, but heavy PVP games (or PVP servers within other games) never seem to do well in the long run. 
    Folks clamor for PVP, but when the get it, the irritation of being ganked tends to wear down the player base.  Just look at WOW's underpopulated PVP servers as an example.
    Ganking is fun.  Being ganked is generally not fun.
    Really?. 2½ million play Guild Wars there focus a lot on PvP. DAoC is also heavy made on PvP and RvR. So you are wrong.

Originally posted by Calcedon

I would say AoC due to the mature content.  A lot of hype will be generated because the 18 and under crowd won't be able to access this content (but I am sure some sort of crack will be available later on).  Tits and blood are going to definitely attract teenage boys. (I am sure by design by funcom).
    Also, the AoC world is very mature conceptually.  Howard wrote very adult and mature content.  I, for one, am very glad that a more mature MMO is going to be availabe to play.  I just hope the game mechanics are solid and innovative.
    I really hope that the game is very open-ended and not story line driven except for epic and regular type quests.  I dont want to see an over-arching story like LOTRO has.
    Time will tell just like it did with Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.  If it isn't what people want, then the money won't follow.

1,2.3 and 4. Yep, you used the word "mature" four times in your topic. But that is kinda off topic.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Originally posted by Battlekruse

Really?. 2½ million play Guild Wars there focus a lot on PvP. DAoC is also heavy made on PvP and RvR. So you are wrong.

Not sure that GW makes him wrong.  GW is also free to play, and I'm sure that has a lot to do with its popularity.  Charge 14.99 a month for GW, and then see if it has 2 1/2 million subscribers.  I'm betting that wouldn't happen.

• RespyShuntRespyShunt Member Posts: 396

My vote is on Aion.  Its another game from the far east (Asian games are my fave) , grphics look beautiful and the flying looks really fun.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Age of Conan and Hero's Journey. WAR doesnt give any innovative elements.
  • Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Originally posted by RespyShunt

My vote is on Aion.  Its another game from the far east (Asian games are my fave) , grphics look beautiful and the flying looks really fun.

I've always wondered why we've never seen a game with L2 type graphics and WoW-like western style ease of play.  It seems like such a game would be an instant hit.

I've been watching the Aion videos and it looks amazing.  Hopefully the gameplay will match.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by Deathstrike2

Will it be AoC with the blood and gore and topless females (maybe)?
    Will it be WAR with it's RvR play?
    Or will it be something different - maybe a fleshed out POBTS or CoS or something else?
    Just for fun, what do you think?

IMO there is no question at all.Before i tell ya what it is ,it shows how much marketing has to do with cohercing players in the fact you mention WAR and AOC wich are two of the biggest hyped games going right now.

Now for my answer,the next gen game by SQUARE ENIX will  without a doubt  be the game that not only defines 2008 but for everything up until 2008.These guys equalled any RPG game on  the market with there FFXI and they had there hands tied behind an inept PS2 system.

There next gen game will be made for PS3 and windows VISTA,YAY for vista compatability,how many games can boast that?It will also be designed to take advantage of multi core systems another big step over alot of junk being marketed out there.

SQUARE is very secretive of anything they do so only the concept video has ever been released way back at E3.Since then they have rights to use unreal3 tech as well as there own new engine,so imagine how far that game has come along since then.

video.aol.com/video-detail/square-enix-e3-2005-untitled-mmorpg-tech-demo/744621310

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

The flying looks more gimmicky in Aion to me then anytthing else. Besides, I've been able to fly in a MMOG since 2001 with Anarchy Online and that has remained the best flight model for a non-space MMOG I've played. So it's not a huge pull for me.

IMHO the best of 2008 is gonna be AoC. I think WAR is to generic and typical to 'define' the genre. AoC's more advanced combat system will IMHO set it apart from the pack.

• battleaxe22battleaxe22 Member UncommonPosts: 303

Aoc and War because they will FLOP  .. you heard it first here

• N1ghtsta1kerN1ghtsta1ker Member Posts: 112

Aion.  Korean's amazing graphical style combined with the Western MMO's gameplay = win.  But I have a feeling it's going to be a sleeper hit, because the ignorant will stereotype it as "yet another Asian grindfest", when nothing could be farther from the truth...

• Shifty360Shifty360 Member Posts: 629

My Pick + 1

Warhammer Online

Pirates of the Burning Sea

EAMythic is doing a fantastic job with the game. Due to their success with Dark Age of Camelot I expect this game to be the next big hit for Mythic and the MMO Community. Waaaaaaarrrrggggg!

I also think PoTBS will do rather well for a branch into a new direction. Althought many people love it and many people hate it, I believe it will have success as well. Great music, concept, economy and gameplay keep me interested.

Will WoW die? Who cares?

I hope it remains the game with the largest community.

Whatever keeps l33t sp34k k1dz away from the games I play is a good game.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I  think a lot of the new games will add some unique things to the world of MMORPG's but when you ask what one game will define the genre in 2008 (and many years to come) there is only one that is a household name and that has gone beyond just the realm of video games in popularity. There is only one that every other developer wants to emulate in terms of subscriptions and quality. Sadly that is WoW.

It is what the majority of players want to play. It is what many people consider to be the standard of what a MMO should be. It is the game that every other game is compared to. Right now WoW is MMORPGs.

I am not a fan of WoW. I dont play it these days and have no urge to. I am in the minority though. I think individually most people will have a game that defines MMO's for them but as for the industry WoW will be king for a very long time.

• QuantumQrackQuantumQrack Member UncommonPosts: 81

Originally posted by Battlekruse

Originally posted by Calcedon

1,2.3 and 4. Yep, you used the word "mature" four times in your topic. But that is kinda off topic.

No, I did not use the word mature in my topic as I had no topic.  I used the word mature in the body of my message.  The topic is which MMO will define 2008 for the genre.  I chose the MMO Age of Conan as the MMO, and gave a reason why it might define the genre, i.e. mature content.

The fact that you can count the word mature four times is sort of neat (not really). 

• beckhambeckham Member Posts: 68

i think every gamer has their own ideas about this topic, but as for the game industry i'd to say wow is a great success and many game company want to copy its' success. however i am not a fun of wow, i like playing a variety of free games such as Tales of Pirates.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

None will. All this hype is going to kill WAR and AOC because once there is a problem at launch with these games at  there will be an avalanche of people leaving them. People will be heading back to their original mmo games. WAR is nothing more than a rehash of DAOC with horrible RVR rewards and AOC will be a huge grindfest with a nice ton of lag to go with it. I'm putting my faith in Guild Wars 2 and Bioware mmo to make a good impact in 2009 though :D

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

As others have said, Warhammer will define the genre, that currently being the WoW model, an easy watered down game for the mass audience.

Chronicles of Spellborn will be a sleeper hit for those looking for something different, a game that requires more skill and more effort.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by Deathstrike2

Will it be AoC with the blood and gore and topless females (maybe)?
    Will it be WAR with it's RvR play?
    Or will it be something different - maybe a fleshed out POBTS or CoS or something else?
    Just for fun, what do you think?
    Unfortunaly i don't think either of the two will define MMO's for the future.

AoC sure looks very good, hope it's gonna play as good, but as we have seen over hte years of gaming especilay by those who seem so utterly hyped about this game will for a part will become disappointed. Same with WAR i feel the game is totaly overhyped, mostly by it's community and again like we have seen with people who are overhyped by certain games in this genre it might end up i another disapointment.

I surely HOPE those looking forward to these games get what they hope/ask for....but over all the years of gaming it's mostly those who look forward to certain games to get disapointed as they expect far and far to much out of these type of games. This website is obvious proof of this......

I think we need to wait another full year ....maybe 2 when we can finaly see GROUNDBREAKING MMO's, sure there are and will be MMO's that break the mold of traditional MMO's but that doesn't make them groundbreaking.

But like i said i do hope people will NOT become disappointed and that those games turn out great, i might try AoC but WAR isn't on my list....sorry to say ....reason of this is when seeing such immature community for that game, not talking about everyone looking forward for WAR but just from what i see and read on forums how people who look forward to WAR are bashing almost every other MMO that is released or is gonna be released and thats not the crowed i see myself gaming with tbh.

• SelenciaSelencia Member Posts: 180

I think Age of Conan could appeal to many players who have steered away from MMOs in the past, especially because of it's action-oriented combat.

• Daedalus732Daedalus732 Member Posts: 589

2008 should be interesting as far as MMOs go, but I don't think the question is "Which MMO will define 2008 for the Genre", but rather "Will the next generation of MMOs rival already established games?". Will people buy Warhammer and AoC only to run back to WoW, disappointed and unhappy?

I think that's the question for 2008.

• garbonzogarbonzo Member Posts: 260

Actual gameplay will tell.  Any list of innovative features, barrel of screenshots/video, or forum hype will fall by the wayside if the game lacks that intangible key element - fun. 

That said, I'm feeling it like this tonight:

1. AoC - I want it to be great and succeed, but I seriously fear a tiny player-base.  The world will be beautiful - the way you can find beauty in a sculpture of decomposing rats - nice to see it in a gallery, but you wouldn't decorate your house with it.  I think the masses want something lighter/brighter.  Fans defend it - "it's not just the bloody boobs" - but the boobs will be the hook to get many people to try it.  If gameplay suffers they will exit before the 30-days are up.  I fear the combat system could wind up like Vanguard's crafting - sounds great and more complex, but in reality is just tedious and boring.

2. WAR - will be fast and pretty fun, but not so innovative as to "define 2008" and savage WoWs playerbase

3. WoW Lich expac - will be a hit just by sheer numbers, but nothing truly new (probably will still be fun.)

4. Aion - I have a bad feeling about this one...  I'll try it after a few months of reviews.  It could be a surprise, but I'm thinking another niche game.  We already have flying, so I don't think flight-based characters will hold that much new attention.

5. Spellborn - graphics put too many people off, I'm afraid, even though they're different (fresh?)  The game mechanics are a new take, though, and if it turns out to be fun, word will spread and they could get a decent market share.  I actually think they benefit tremendously from not having the AoC/WAR hype.  As far as defining 2008, it still seems too close to the typical fantasy model to storm the year.  Baby steps aren't bad, though.

6. Darkfall - if it launches smoothly and has half of the promised features, it will be the darling of many true gamefans.  It won't be mainstream, but could come the closest to defining the year.  Clearly by reading these forums we know people are begging for something "new."  Will be interesting though to see if those who started MMOs on WoW will take to a well-designed sandbox game.

7. PotBS - very small niche following.  Personally, for me pirates fall just above clowns and mimes on the list of irritating kitsch genres.  If it was a new take on pirates, perhaps.  But parrots on shoulders and all that is just too Disney silly for my tastes.  Some people will like the sandbox style (and that's the only thing that interests me about the game) but it won't go big.

And surely I'll be terribly wrong about 90% of this.