Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nice community

jpete3jpete3 Member Posts: 15

I'm a new player to L2.  Earlier today I was playing and something nice happened.  I'm am a lvl 26 warrior.  Another player whispered me while I was in town.  This player just gave me better D grade gear then I already had plus a C grade helmet and over 7 mil adena.  Now that might not seem like much to some, but I thought it was nice.  I'm not suggesting that this type of behavior is exclusive to L2 or that it is common practice within L2.  What I am saying is that there has been a lot of talk on this forum about how L2 is too tough and too hard for new players to break into. I don't think this is the case.   It has been a very fun game and I recommend it to anyone who is thinking of trying a different game then they are currently playing.

Bartz server

Comments

• SorrowhoSorrowho Member Posts: 581

it's not to hard or tough they's just a long grind with a hard economy's before you get high lvl enof to really find player's to party with or start pvping.

they's also very poor gm support for the game, and nothing being done aginst the farmer's or player's who bot, so it's pretty much win for cheater's while the fair player's loses in pvp.

not to mention where loseing more subscriber's then we gain so some server's are pretty dead

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by Sorrowho

it's not to hard or tough they's just a long grind with a hard economy's before you get high lvl enof to really find player's to party with or start pvping.

they's also very poor gm support for the game, and nothing being done aginst the farmer's or player's who bot, so it's pretty much win for cheater's while the fair player's loses in pvp.
    not to mention where loseing more subscriber's then we gain so some server's are pretty dead

It is true that it can be hard to start but it is far, far easier to get through the earlier levels then when the game first started.

the GM support seems spotty. I've actually had decent support. Even to the point where I had dropped an items (back a few chronicles when you could drop an item on death when not red or high pk count) on death and while running back to get it the server crashed. I made a report, got a message it was being escalated and the next day I got my item back.

As far as botters and farmers. There are so many game that have these. I challenge anyone to name me a game where it doesn't exist. And since L2 has so few instances there are no places for them to hide. And of course players can actually deal with them by training or pk'ing them.

As far as subscribers, all you have to do is look at quarterly reports to see the subscriber base. Now granted, some of those are going to be farmers.

I would say that any player starting out should either go to Bartz or Teon (euro server) for larger populated servers. Sure, the other servers (my Hindemith included) have unique populations and might seem lively but with a game this age (3+ years) I would just go to the most populated servers.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • jpete3jpete3 Member Posts: 15

I would add that every game mmo or otherwise even console games have a grind.  It is just a matter of how well it is hidden or whether the player just enjoys it.  I find it ammusing when someone accuses any game especially an mmo of being a grind. 

Also I would like to ask evryone who reads this a question.  We gamers here a lot from game developers these days about trying to appeal to the "casual" gamer.  How would you define a casual gamer as compared to a "hardcore" gamer?

• SorrowhoSorrowho Member Posts: 581
    Originally posted by Sovrath

It is true that it can be hard to start but it is far, far easier to get through the earlier levels then when the game first started.

the GM support seems spotty. I've actually had decent support. Even to the point where I had dropped an items (back a few chronicles when you could drop an item on death when not red or high pk count) on death and while running back to get it the server crashed. I made a report, got a message it was being escalated and the next day I got my item back.

As far as botters and farmers. There are so many game that have these. I challenge anyone to name me a game where it doesn't exist. And since L2 has so few instances there are no places for them to hide. And of course players can actually deal with them by training or pk'ing them.

As far as subscribers, all you have to do is look at quarterly reports to see the subscriber base. Now granted, some of those are going to be farmers.

I would say that any player starting out should either go to Bartz or Teon (euro server) for larger populated servers. Sure, the other servers (my Hindemith included) have unique populations and might seem lively but with a game this age (3+ years) I would just go to the most populated servers.

it's gotten esaier to solo but it's far harder to get party's at the lower lvl's then it was in the earlirer day's.

the gm support was also far better in the ealirer day's now it's pretty much automated respones to any petition's you make that dosen't help at all.

Refusing to host event's for us they do in Korea or only restoring some people's character's when they get hacked.

about farmer's and bot's yes all games have em but i never played another mmorpg where the gm support delibatly choose to not stop the botter's, but you should also remember the farmer's can deal with you to bye traning or pking.

the only subscriber report's i can find are for the overall population off lineage 2 where korea and such or countet in, i can't find any report's off only NA and Eu subscriber's so it's not helpfull at all.

jpete3 i like the grind, your missing my point that's they's a lot off work to be done in lineage 2 before you can start finding party's or pvp regulary, witch dosen't raelly happen before you get to 6x lvl's and that's anywhere from 1 to 6 month's grind.

• EllyrionEllyrion Member Posts: 193

jpete3, welcome to L2 :)

Its always great to see new players posting on the forums.  Great to see Sorrowho and Sovrath supporting new players as well, good work guys. 

To answer your question thought, I think that the concept of hardcore or casual players has evolved to mean something slightly different depending on the MMO its applied to. The overall concept remains firm though, "hardcore" is about dedication to the game generally defined by online presence.

It often leads to  prioritising the game ahead of other social activities, it does not equate to linear progress, but is a general consequence of the consistent online presence. Being "hardcore"  implies a certain degree of depth and understanding of the complexities of the game, usually well ahead of the general population knowledge curve. Broadly speaking, it is the "hardcore" players who test the limits of the game, explore those obscure quest threads, tackle the newly added raid content or test new PvP combinations  as new skills and equipment becomes available, thus paving the way for the general population of the game.

Consequently, the game knowledge is thus passed on to the "casual" players who benefit from the experience of the hardcore players and are therefore able to make a choice of whether to prioritise the game or whether to take a back seat and play as time permits. The casual player will allocate time to the game and try to accomplish as much as they can within the allocated time-frame. This by its very definition is where social interaction, online ettiquette, player maturity and the physical construct of the MMO all come into friction.

You will find that players often oscilate between the two states. Even the tamest and most casual player will prioritise the game when they can see the end of that long worked quest or they are close to harvesting enough materials for that long sought weapon/armour craft event. But overall, I believe that this roughly separates the two player types if you should chose to stereotype them in this way.

L2 can support both playstyles. It subsequently boils down to your expectations based on the risk vs reward model of L2.

Hardcore players by their very definition will find a niche and prosper as long as the overall game engine appeals to them and they do not become too disgruntled with the constant changes they need to make to their characters, equipment and even clan structure to accomodate the invariable changes to classes, abilities and the general environment that comes with the evolution of the game.

Casual players will find the game challenging simply because it is designed on an old paradigm for MMO's. It is the same paradigm as was used for EQ1 and DAOC, ie it focuses on group effort. Groupping is difficult for casual players. Its a fact of MMO's.  Ppl can write volumes on their "pick up" group experiences from MMO to MMO. Unlike other MMO's.  L2 is similar to UO in its depth of player vs player interaction. It is this aspect which makes the game so hardcore, as a wider range of player emotions and behavioural tendencies emerge. They are no different than in other games, but rather the game engine tools of L2 allow them to be more expressive than in other games.

It comes to pass then, that to play L2 you need a group, a clan, a greater degree of social interaction and emotional investment than is currently required for games like EQ2, WoW or LOTR for example where you can easily achieve all you want in the game and simply chose to group when its convenient for you to do so. L2's social structure and group methodology do not accomodate this level of freedom. You will be required to chose and chose wisely. Not necessarily from the outset but soon enough. This choice as in any other MMO, will ultimately mean whether you get to experience the end game or not.

Regards,

Ellyrion Fiallathandriel

The Reckless Knight

Kain

• VIISephirotVIISephirot Member Posts: 14

I give adena to players that just started and help them train and so I find a lot of new friend all around the world not because i want to make him stronger to Pvp but that doesn't matter anymore I have around 167'000'000'000+ adena and s grade armor and weapons so when I find an weeker shild ,armor or anything like that I give it away couse I don't need adena

so yes the BIG problem in L2 is economy

The Dark Myth is substance without a hint of style, a huge uncarved rock of back story, kept pure of any human interference that might have produced a consumable piece of fiction.