Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

my laptop keeps shutting down

mmo_ninja_32mmo_ninja_32 Member Posts: 50

Well my laptop keeps shutting down randomly. I think it is RAM, but I only have guild wars and itunes on it. help.

Checkout my website!
www.freewebs.com/mmorpgaming

Comments

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

prop it up offa whatever you have it sitting on so air can get under it and help keep it cool. see if it works that way.

and.. is it a hp ?

• CresilDamasCresilDamas Member Posts: 28

He/She may be right about the whole heating thing, but for that, you can get a cooling pad for only....5-30$ Depending on how many programs you're running. But another thing is that, No it is NOT your RAM, if you can run GW then it's not the RAM. It could be your MotherBoard or your battery. If you run off of battery then it could be that you run the battery down fast and it not be able to alert you. The motherboard side of it, your graphics card / your CPU could be a bit slow / low.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Most likely it is overheating or a bad battery. If its not either of those you probably have motherboard issues, which would really suck for you. Do what that other guy said and prop it up so you have ventilation on the bottom before you go buying a laptop cooling pad thing.

If its not an overheating issue, take the battery out and plug it in and try that way. If you have no further issues then it was your battery...go and get a new battery.

If its neither of those, then you have big problems, and I hope its under warranty.

D.

• mmo_ninja_32mmo_ninja_32 Member Posts: 50

Well, i have put it up about 3 inches. My computer does run extremely hot. To the point where it will you if you touch it near the battery, it will burn, and hurt. And, the battery is already a mess. It won't work just on its own battery, I need to plug it into the wall. So, I will see how it works now that it is off the ground.

Checkout my website!
    www.freewebs.com/mmorpgaming

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

Originally posted by mmo_ninja_32

Well, i have put it up about 3 inches. My computer does run extremely hot. To the point where it will you if you touch it near the battery, it will burn, and hurt. And, the battery is already a mess. It won't work just on its own battery, I need to plug it into the wall. So, I will see how it works now that it is off the ground.
    umm.. get a new battery.

yours is toast.

and since it's are running that hot, as mentioned before, a laptop cooler would prolly be a good idea... AFTER you get a new battery.

• ak_STALKERak_STALKER Member Posts: 1

running your laptop on a battery that is getting extremley hot like that is potentially dangerous. I would advise you to remove the battery and then take it to a battery recycling factory.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Take the battery out immediately. You can run your laptop on the cord without the battery in it. Sounds like your battery has gone the way of the dodo.

D.