Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This may be the most disappointing game in mmo history

smitty0356smitty0356 Member Posts: 368

Not that this game is horrible, I just think that since the original was so ground breaking, easy to play, and really the standard for that time, that this failed in all of the aspects that the original shined.

I mean the graphics are not great, the expansions are not great, the game it's self is no better than the original, and in fact worse in some ways.  navigation is worse (we all hate the big arrow).  And the mechanics of the quest system is a carbon copy of the original....  It's as if they made a new release of the original, this time without all the players....  not a stinker, but wow, I thought it would be what wow is today, but it is.... just kinda the dead-horse of mmo's.  Sony seems to get alot of those (mxo ect)

Elite poster by 82

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

its only disappointing to you because you are comparing it to EQ1

EQ2 is an entirely different game than EQ1

EQ2 my personal favorite at out the current MMO choices available

- and Ive been playing different mmos since 1999

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

EQ2 is currently the best MMO out there. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean anything. You don't like it, don't play it.

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431
    Originally posted by Nadia

its only disappointing to you because you are comparing it to EQ1

EQ2 my personal favorite at out the current MMO choices available
    - and Ive been playing different mmos since 1999

This is absolutely true, its like comparing modern rock to the Beatles. Sure some of it may be good for the time, But lets face it, EQ1 like the Beatles are a classic to the genre itself. Its not a fair comparison.

• xcaliburxcalibur Member Posts: 571

Most disappointing game in mmo history...

Well, first of all, you are three years late on this topic.  Second, you must have missed shadowbane, horizons, vanguard, etc.

• Vaz'tarnVaz'tarn Member Posts: 14

he's not really late.

RoK is garbage and is as game changing as LU #13. In a lot of ways, EQ2 was a better game at launch (minus bugs, anomalies, 100% avoidance  nottwithstanding) than it is now. EQ2 at launch was more Vanguard than what Vanguard wanted me. Plus, I ran into so many people in the EQ2 community that actually WANT low pop servers so they continue to have their pristine solo environment. Leaving 2 or 3 guilds on the server that think they are "hardcore raiders" when EQ2 raiding is the easiest thing to do in the world.

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614

LOL

BAHAHAHA...

I give smitty a 5 out of 10, because he does at least make a point about comparing the originality and "Vision" of EQ1. It is something that is missing from EQ2.

But Vaz'tard has no clue. 1 out of 10 because you're comparing an exp to a combat update and hasn't "hardcore raided" anytime in his life. Have you killed Trakanon yet? Oh, wait, noone has. LOL How about the ape in Fens, what's the loot like on him? Oh, you have no idea? That's what I thought... Fitting name.

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Disappointing post mr. OP...seems you also have hatred against you in the LOTRO forums there for posting that no level 50's exist in game...are you out to attack all MMO's?

Now, at least I picked ONE game to hate...you better make up your mind on which game is worse...LOTRO, EQ2 or WoW

Hey, have you tried GW?...maybe that is more your speed..

Later!

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Releasing EQ2 at the same time as WoW didn't give it a good start.

WOW as a game is far more polished and just feels higher quality and smoother to play, which is probably why is rakes in all the gamers.  EQ2 just feels half-arsed in places, like the finish on some of the terrain (mismatching polys, bad texturing and all kinds of mistakes).  You just don't get that in WoW, every inch is properly mapped.  As a result EQ2 only gets people willing to overlook the bad eye-candy, even if the game is good.

I don't think I even have to mention how many people the SOE logo scares away ;)

Also EQ2 appears to be a modded version of the same engine they used for SWG, some of the flaws are suspiciously similar.  As is the poor performance when there shouldn't be:/

• I played EQ2 from release date on for about a year and have been on hiatus from gaming since.  I'm just now starting to get back into things and have been looking around for an MMORPG to play...so I've been trying to track down current opinions of the various games out there.

I've played around a little in WoW for a couple hours and it's not bad but it really made me miss the wonderful and amazing graphics from EQ2 - everything in WoW seems so "EQ-1" and "cartoony".  Not to mention that there's no option for an evil gnome, lol.

Still, some of the points made on this thread that it seems like the quality of content has been going downhill since I've stopped playing is concerning - especially considering how SOE is nortorious for leaving ongoing support/new-content development to their junior designers - e.g. Shadows Of Luclin Expansion

------

I don't know, maybe I'll just hold out for something new on the horizon altogether.  LOTR's new game looks visually stunning but I never gave a rats ass about the books (movies where inticing enough though) and having dealt with Frodo wannabe halflings for years and years on EQ and EQ2 I afraid the last thing I'd want to do is be "in their world now" - lol, no pun intended.

Originally posted by arjo_reich
    some of the points made on this thread that it seems like the quality of content has been going downhill since I've stopped playing is concerning

I played EQ2 at launch for 2months

-- then came back preDOF to try again for a few months

my 3rd time I came back, this past August,  was the charm and Ive been happily playing since

if you have the EOF expansion -- and didnt care for the game -- you probably wont like it now either

otherwise,

EOF expansion enhanced EQ2 content dramatically

adding fun content for all levels 1-70 

-- its the largest  expansion to date

• TheKrakenTheKraken Member Posts: 154

Its like saying the Porche isn't worth driving because the Model T was so revolutionary.  "Worst in history"? When people exaggerate they do so to compensate for the poor strength of their argument.

Smitty (the OP) created  troll posts on many game forums on  12/31 all within the same hour

- GW, WOW, LOTRO, EQ2

www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/userThreads/414048

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Smitty (the OP) created  troll posts on many game forums on  12/31 all within the same hour
    - GW, WOW, LOTRO, EQ2

www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/userThreads/414048

lol, this is the first time I decided to look a troller, man no kidding, I think this guy has issue with life in general. Well rather have him type away then go balistic in a school or something ;)

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614

Originally posted by arjo_reich

I played EQ2 from release date on for about a year and have been on hiatus from gaming since.  I'm just now starting to get back into things and have been looking around for an MMORPG to play...so I've been trying to track down current opinions of the various games out there.
    I've played around a little in WoW for a couple hours and it's not bad but it really made me miss the wonderful and amazing graphics from EQ2 - everything in WoW seems so "EQ-1" and "cartoony".  Not to mention that there's no option for an evil gnome, lol.
    Still, some of the points made on this thread that it seems like the quality of content has been going downhill since I've stopped playing is concerning - especially considering how SOE is nortorious for leaving ongoing support/new-content development to their junior designers - e.g. Shadows Of Luclin Expansion
    ------
    I don't know, maybe I'll just hold out for something new on the horizon altogether.  LOTR's new game looks visually stunning but I never gave a rats ass about the books (movies where inticing enough though) and having dealt with Frodo wannabe halflings for years and years on EQ and EQ2 I afraid the last thing I'd want to do is be "in their world now" - lol, no pun intended.

Dude, stop reading the flamer (trolls) that don't play. RoK is a great expansion, you have to try it out, it's really great. Huge changes, and more to come, that are signatures of things getting even better than ever. The huge zones are one indication, TONS of choices in armor and weapon styles (which will even get much better yet), and the quests are great, and the dungeons (and raids) are some of the best yet.

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

i would say EQ2 is a gem of the MMO world.  if any friend of mine decided to take up MMO's this would be one of the ones i would recommend.  i personally dont like the game much for the same reasons as the OP but you cant deny that

1. there are some really bad games out there and some real disappointments.

2. its one of the most popular games on the market.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

To some of the OP's point, a lot of folks were disappointed with EQ2.  As an early EQ player, what I envisioned for EQ2 was a reworking of EQ with better graphics, more fleshed out geography (i.e, a bigger better Odus), the same dungeons but with a few twists, and essentially a rebirth of Norrath.

What we got was a major disappointment.  I thought to myself, "how could they kill Norrath?".  With the racial starting cities gone and folks lumped into either Freeport or Qeynos, the game lost it's "world feel" and became more like a linear amusment park.

The hidden sewers that were a cool surprise to find in the first EQ were revealed in the citizenship quests in EQ2.  Basically, they were saying, "hey, everyone, here's the mysterious underground sewer tunnels.  Guess it's not a mystery anymore."

Someone needs to revive the EQ franchise; someone with a true love of MMORPG's and a love for Norrath.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

wow....had to be one of the worst troll posts i ever read

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by smitty0356

Not that this game is horrible, I just think that since the original was so ground breaking, easy to play, and really the standard for that time, that this failed in all of the aspects that the original shined.
    I mean the graphics are not great, the expansions are not great, the game it's self is no better than the original, and in fact worse in some ways.  navigation is worse (we all hate the big arrow).  And the mechanics of the quest system is a carbon copy of the original....  It's as if they made a new release of the original, this time without all the players....  not a stinker, but wow, I thought it would be what wow is today, but it is.... just kinda the dead-horse of mmo's.  Sony seems to get alot of those (mxo ect)
    Sounds like your problems with the game could be fixed by:

a) Getting a better computer - EQ2 has the best graphics for a fantasy MMO to date. If it looks crap then your computer isnt good enough to handle the higher graphics settings. Admittedly this doesnt scale well and it probably looks worse than WoW at low end settings.

b) Getting a better user interface - there are heaps around eq2map and ProfitUI will make your life much easier.

As for the mechanics and quests, well its a MMO, ive yet to see any fantasy MMO do something different to the original EQ.

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

EQ2 is not perfect but for sure one of the best MMOs out there. And the expansions just made the game better not worse like u said, well IMO. If u dont like it dont play it, but saying it is a bad game is just not true.

• Jeff44Jeff44 Member Posts: 459

Troll.

I give him a 2 out of ten and remember that you get one point just for posting.

user
  • ShadowfaderShadowfader Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by NasherUK

Also EQ2 appears to be a modded version of the same engine they used for SWG, some of the flaws are suspiciously similar.  As is the poor performance when there shouldn't be:/

I've often thought that very same thing. The stiff and goofy character animations when transitioning from a sitting position to running are almost identical and after 7 or 8 generations of hardware advancement, both games run much worse than they should. I still play them though. I just don't agree with the OP.  EQ2 is a much better game than most of the stuff out there.

• Everybody has his own tast, you can choose not to like it. But if 90% people like this game, and you are the 10% who don't like it, this post doesn't mean anyting!

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

The most disappointing game in mmo history?   You're being silly now. 

• LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994

Why  are you guys still posting in any of smitty's threads?  Have you looked at his post history?  Every post is a troll post, not just about EQ2, also WoW, LOTR, etc......

• dA_fReAKdA_fReAK Member Posts: 384

Thats why it shouldn't be called EverQuest 2....