Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have a game that is infinitely replayable?

PorvenPorven Member UncommonPosts: 30

I recently had to reinstall Vista (don't ask) and when it came time to break out the game CDs,  I had some choices to make.

Looking over the game CDs I realized that there is only one game that I have installed over and over and over again as I have upgraded OSes and hard drives.

It's the game I played before and after and in-between my fascinations with SWG, WoW, EVE Online, Vanguard and LoTRO.  If MMOs are filet mignon, this game was comfort food that sustained my gaming appetite in between them all.

It is "Civilization".

Its current incarnation is "Civilization: Beyond the Sword"  it has never been an addictive game like some MMOs or shooters like Halo or Unreal Tournament can be but it is always something I have found to be an enjoyable way to pass the time.

I'm not sure what it is about the game that makes it enjoyable to me although I think it has something to do with its unhurried gameplay and the variety of options, playstyles and terrains you can play.

So here I am with a Vista install and the first game on it is Civilization.... again.

Does anyone else have a game that seems to be a permanent fixture on your hard drive?

Comments

• Keebs1984Keebs1984 Member Posts: 1,356

Masters of Orion 2. An old old space empire simulation game from 1995. It's such an awesome game though that I play it at least once a month. Sure, therte are other space sim games out there like Galactic Civilizations but this one was just so perfectly simple while at the same time offering a complex enough gameplay so as I don't get bored.

At least one of my PCs, at all times, has it installed.

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

The MMO gaming blog I write for.

• ju003ju003 Member Posts: 2

Well-said~~~

I agree!!!

And what do other people think???

• AguyAguy Member Posts: 561

I've never really stopped playing Goldeneye.

• RittoRitto Member Posts: 191

Well, I've been playing Zelda Ocarina of time since its release and I will still ocasionally go back to it to play some more, alough its only replayable if you got really into it like I did.

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

Just thought this was funny (and true lol!)

• ZnithZnith Member Posts: 212

NWN has always been installed on one of my computers since it's release.  I play an occasional mod or two at least a couple times a month.   Older games..  Mechwarrior 2 and Quake 2.

• Teh_ROFFLESTeh_ROFFLES Member Posts: 20

Civilization I V. That game is infinitely replayable because I can conquer the world as many times as I want!

• kel11kel11 Member Posts: 1,089

I can hop on CS:S and have alittle fun once in awhile.  I've been playing 2k4 for 4 years and it is still fun, depending on the gametype.

Change my mind so much I can't even trust it
    My mind change me so much I can't even trust myself

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Battle Tank global assult. I wish my N64 was still working just to play this. I could play though story is a matter of hours and it never got old. For multiplayer it was always a race to grab the nuke on the map to blow the hell out of everyone else. That game never got old. Also like someone else said goldeneye was amazing on every playthough too.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

Civ4 is good, Sid Miers is a genuis, That and Renegade are my 2 ifinitely replayables.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Originally posted by Arndur

Battle Tank global assult. I wish my N64 was still working just to play this. I could play though story is a matter of hours and it never got old. For multiplayer it was always a race to grab the nuke on the map to blow the hell out of everyone else. That game never got old. Also like someone else said goldeneye was amazing on every playthough too.

Heh you took the words from my mouth. I had it for PSX and it was a great game to play even with a friend. I love setting turrents up all around my base and wow throwing so many nukes on the ground that the whole map still has the nuke fog. I wish there was a remake.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

I used to play Fallout 1 and 2 and Master of Orion 2 for years. However I cant install them since windows xp came out

• Rreka'alRreka'al Member Posts: 450
    Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

Originally posted by Arndur

Heh you took the words from my mouth. I had it for PSX and it was a great game to play even with a friend. I love setting turrents up all around my base and wow throwing so many nukes on the ground that the whole map still has the nuke fog. I wish there was a remake.

Holy crap that is one of the best games ever made in terms of having fun with friends. I had soooo much fun with the tiny little one-seater motorcycle tank with gatling guns, flying between things. Aww, those were the days. Ocarina of time is another huge classic. But, my all time favorite would have to be a little known series called Space Empires by Malfador Machinations. The third is my favorite, but that game I played for hours at a time, whenever I came back to it. It's a space strategy game where you can customize every ship you build, what every planet you control has on it, use intelligence, sabotage, research, diplomacy, etc. to have fun with some good, if a little predictable AI. They're up to at least 6 in the series now, though. And they're next to free, with a free demo of each one. (malfador.com)

• TraceGaleIIITraceGaleIII Member Posts: 48

Where do i start. Well we'll just go through the ages.

Mario for Super Nintendo

Goldeneye for Nintendo 64

Virtual Fighter for Sega Saturn

Smash Brothers Melee for Gamecube

Pikmin 1&2 for Gamecube

Fight Night Round 2 for Xbox

Need for Speed:Most Wanted and Carbon for Xbox

Madden o7 for Xbox

Spellforce for PC

Dark Age of Camelot for PC

Madden 08 for Xbox 360

Need for Speed:Pro Street for Xbox 360

Saints Row for Xbox 360

• VemoiVemoi Member Posts: 1,546

Though I don't play it now because it was on 3.5 disk.

Star Control 1

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

GW RA arenas.

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384

A free, roguelike game called Dwarf Fortress.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

" Dwarf Fortress is a single-player fantasy game. You can control a dwarven outpost or an adventurer in a randomly generated, persistent world."

It's a great game but it's hard to learn

• hazmatshazmats Member Posts: 1,081

Fallout 1/2

• goneglockingoneglockin Member UncommonPosts: 706

...Another nod for the two Fallout games.

Hope you got your things together. Hope you are quite prepared to die. Looks like we're in for nasty weather. ... There's a bad moon on the rise.

• K.o.v.eK.o.v.e Member Posts: 227

Hmm i cant believe nobody has mentioned any games in the GTA series?!?

Heres what I can think of now:

GTA San Andreas-You can do anything you want just go around and piss off the cops, grab a plane and bomb the freeways, beat up the elderly, its great.

Starcraft/brood war- Always fun tons of maps, online too(even though nobody plays).

Civilization 3- Havent played the others but I spend lots of time on this one..

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Oblivion and real life (see picture posted on first page) and well... Megaman and other old Snes games too.