Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Played Beta for the first time today....

Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

and it was sweet.  some glitches (its expected in Beta and even then it was lower than what i was expecting), ships look epic and the Avatars look great.  i didn't find any problems with hand to hand combat and it was a welcome change from most other games (al ot more hectic and less about locking on a target).

the best part of the day was when me and my friend decided that those rich English merchants that were hovering around needed to be relieved of some of their cargo.  it was good fun hunting down groups of 2 or 3 NPC traders and tag teaming ships.  we are only lvl 8 and the ships seem to get better and better so the outlook is great.

this is my personal opinion and anyone who is considering trying it out here are a few tips

try out beta (you have til January 1)

if u enjoyed Sid Meier's pirates you will love this game

if u have played Sea dogs or Age of Pirates you will love this game

if u enjoy battling for control of territory (ports) you will like this game

if you enjoy the time that this game is set in then you will enjoy this game

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
-Solid non level based game
-Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

Comments

• TzargothaTzargotha Member Posts: 3

Agreed.  I am a fan of Sid Meires Pirates and thus was hunting for a decent Pirate game.  There is another thread where the poster has said  'sailing to other ports is too long'.  Im afraid it was even longer if you where to do it for real.  No I like that side of it, I remember in SMs Pirates I used to sit back and read a comic while I sailed from St Kitts to Port Royale (mind you with a ship loaded with food and rum!).

There are a few glitches, i.e. the combat on ship or taking over a fort can get confusing, but hey its beta. 

I think it should be left for the 'adults' and ppl who enjoy (of all ages) age of sail eras!

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I agree on all counts. Also, the more I play the more I love it.

I'm having a blast with this one!

• WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 19

I too have been playing beta, but my opinion is a 160 of the OPs.

I really..REALLY ..wanted to enjoy this game I thought this would be great..but it is not.

Here are some tips:

If you enjoy everything instance you will love this game

If you enjoy horrible avatar combat you will love this game

If you enjoy invisible walls where you can not sail away you will love this game

If you enjoy boring quest that are the most repetitive I have ever seen any any game you will love this game.

The open beta is still going on, I would say DL the client and give it a try for yourself, however.

This is just my opinion.

Originally posted by Wolfheart

I too have been playing beta, but my opinion is a 160 of the OPs.
    I really..REALLY ..wanted to enjoy this game I thought this would be great..but it is not.

Here are some tips:
    If you enjoy everything instance you will love this game
    If you enjoy horrible avatar combat you will love this game
    If you enjoy invisible walls where you can not sail away you will love this game
    If you enjoy boring quest that are the most repetitive I have ever seen any any game you will love this game.
    The open beta is still going on, I would say DL the client and give it a try for yourself, however.
    This is just my opinion.
    That's fair enough. I happen to not like any of those things and yet still love this game though, so there's that side of the coin as well. To add some tips myself :

If you love rich, thriving, player driven economies where you can make a real difference in the game world, you will love this game.

If you love PvP that has real impact on the game world and those playing it, you'll love this game.

If you love developers who openly and honestly communicate with the playerbase extremely often, you'll love this game.

If you like deep and strategic ship to ship combat that takes into effect Hull Armor, Ammo, Cannons, Ship size, Wind Direction, Ship Orientation, Cover, Sail Durability, Structure Durability, Mast Durability, Crew size and morale, etc... you will love this game.

I'm not saying this to be a smartass or to mock the previous poster as I believe that every view is valid, I'm just offering a different look at it.

Like Wolfheart said, the open beta is still going (ends the morning of 1/1/08) so there is time to try this out still and I highly recommend doing just that. Love it or hate it, at least you'll know... and for free too :)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you, be safe and have fun! :)

/salute

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

this game totally sucks.

• kdoane12kdoane12 Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by altairzq

this game totally sucks.

Please, post insightful posts like this on ALL the games that you believe "totally suck". I love reading those comments.

WHEN DID CREATIVITY DIE

Originally posted by altairzq

this game totally sucks.
    Thank you for breaking the news to me. I would have been pissed had I found out later that the fun that we are having in game is just an illusion.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Hey, the game is great if you have low standards... I mean.. really low.

• aedenaeden Member Posts: 11

The game is pretty fun and certainly novel. I've been waiting on it forever.

When I first started playing beta I was a little unimpressed and almost bored. However, I quickly found out that joining/forming a society (guild) and fighting in groups in either large NPC PvE convoy raiding or PvP raiding that the game becomes a lot more fun.

The economy system is nice and the crafting/production system is quite diverse and has many components. I think some players may only be interested in the economy aspects and not necessarily care to do much PvP.

There could definitely be some room for improvements: Most notably the avatar/character combat system - which I understand was only most recently added anyway.

This game has tons of potential and isn't a bad buy for launch/pre-order, especially with the crappy history of MMO launch titles to compare it to. It's certainly playable and fun.

I'm concerned about long-term playability, though, but I am confident in the development team so far.

• AbrunerAbruner Member Posts: 12

I have to admit I was rather upset when I spent all that time to download, install, and update this game. After 4 levels I logged out and went to watch TV. I was really close to removing it a couple days later when I decided to try it again playing a different class.

I think there is a LOT of room for improvement that I hope they will be working on. Combat on land has not been very exciting except for the longer missions. Something to add a little more strategy would be a good start but I know games are supposed to be easier when you are new.

Ships have the most potential. They need more modification slots. Make it so we can actually buy a ship "frame" and then add armor, mast, sails, cannons, rudder, etc.. Then you can have a lot more variety for ships in the same class. That would make it a lot more interesting.

Anyway, I am having a lot of fun now. Is it the best new MMO? Ground breaking tactics and next generation gameplay? Not really. Unfortunately some people expect way too much from new games these days.  I am guilty myself but I am glad I gave this a second chance.

Afterall, I know I am not the only person that is tired of the standard Orc and Elves fantasy worlds.

• pappy367pappy367 Member Posts: 2

i have been playing potbs since closed beta and i am having the most fun i have ever had in a mmo. i been around for the betas and launches for most of the big name mmos. is this game for everyone, no. it doesnt do some things that other games do better, but i also does it self justice in many aspects. as far as the avatar combat everyone is talking about, it wasnt even involved in the game, and was added like 6 months ago, so it is behind the rest, but it is getting alot of love and will catch up. also alot of features are going to be added including player housing/ player goverment and such. it seems everytime you have a new mmo out, people expect it to be a 100% product out the door. the nice thing about mmos is they are works in progress that you can have fun growing with. and my 2 cents is potbs is the best mmo i have played for my personal likes. again that is me, and really that is all i worry about lol

• jeeinechojeeinecho Member Posts: 5

do u know where and how to get parrots?

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289
    While I'm having a lot of fun playing this game, I gotta admit it has major issues and is nowhere ready to go live.

Don't buy without trying first. If you missed the open beta, the pre order will give you 2 weeks playtime for 5 bucks.
  • IthacaIthaca Member Posts: 4

Just not something I was able to get into, I guess I am not the ideal market for this kind of game.   My female avatar needed to visit an eye doctor for her pink eye or whatever unsavory diseases were eating away at her.   Combat felt so stale and anything concerning avatars felt like an afterthought to how smooth the open sea gameplay was.  I thought the ship based combat would shine, but I guess I was more meant for avatar MMOs.  I was excited for a pirate game too, but this one just wasn't for me.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

i guess its about getting into the mood.  i for one LOVE raiding merchant convoys.  i dont care if they are lvl 5 and i am 15 or they are 16 i still have fun thinking about all the loot the company just lost :P.  the economy was one hell of a confusing thing to get my head around but after 2 days of playing and researching and 1 notepad of notes i figured it out and its great.

off to go plunder the east India company for all its doubloons :)

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• boukyakuboukyaku Member Posts: 12

how is this compared to voyage century?

• coolmehikecoolmehike Member Posts: 5

I have to admit that all the MMO's i have played it's kinda more fun and stuff like this.Voyage Century is shit compared to this game.But it would be sad if i had to pay a monthly fee,i hope it's only gonna be the retail to pay for.Ehh....but what can u expect from Sony Entertament.

MAster

• Riho06Riho06 Member Posts: 431

Originally posted by Abruner

After 4 levels I logged out and went to watch TV.

Most people have 5 fingers on their hand, I only need 1 to tell you which games absolutely impressed me so much in the first 3 levels that I knew I was going to be playing awhile.

Nearly every MMO is identical in the first few levels <20. This is due to teaching you(the player) what your class is compable of and its limitations. People who judge a game from its first 4 levels really need to have a longer attention span imo.

As far as the person I quoted this from I read your whole post and my comments aren't directed at you at all just the people who make up their mind too quick. I was just using a fraction of your comment as an example.

• Riho06Riho06 Member Posts: 431

Originally posted by boukyaku

how is this compared to voyage century?

Voyage Century --->  Daddy pushing you on a bicycle with training wheels, you're wearing a helmet and  kneepads for saftey. You also have a pacifier in your mouth to prevent you from speaking and to keep you happy.

PoTBS---> You're on a bicycle.

• coolmehikecoolmehike Member Posts: 5

I HAD played VCO for quite some time.And i wasn't level 4.I had played VCO for about 4-5 months.And here are the problems why i stopped playing it.

1.Mining ant Woodcutting went hard if you have to travel in a new city when you can cutt higher level woods.Also then you have to transfer a warehouse or buy a new one for 500k.

2.Not much people playing it.Only Seville or Athens was full of people.

3.Too slow movement at High Sea in such a big world.It takes you over 45 minutes or maybe even an hour to get your ship from Asia to Carribean.

4.You can't use two weapons at once(pistol,sword)

5.No ship customization.Like paiting and stuff....

Good thins about VCO are:

1.Pretty good graphics it looks more realistic then it does in PotBS.

2.VCO includes mining,woodcutting,smelting,crafting etc.

Good and Bad things about PotBS

1.Graphics are okay but it seems sometimes like a cartoon.

2.Cool clothing selection for free.No armors,or something that gives you more armor witch is great cause in VCO a shirt gives you armor that is kinda impossible.

3.Bigger Ship selection and you can change your hull colour and sails too.

4.When you zoom in when you are Fighting on sea then you can see yourself and your crew working with the cannos or something like that.

5.The game does not include mining or woodcutting but about crafting that i don't know.

6.You can make your own flag and but it onto your ship.

7.You can be a Pirate and kill everyone in your path.

8.Quests are a little short and easy.

9.you can't put up a Shop yourself.(i think)

10.You  can take over enemy ships and sell them unlike in VCO when you grapple a ship its gonna sink.

That's all i gotta say.Make your Own choice.Both games have bad and good sides.But right now i think PotBS is a little better.

MAster

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by pappy367

i have been playing potbs since closed beta and i am having the most fun i have ever had in a mmo. i been around for the betas and launches for most of the big name mmos. is this game for everyone, no. it doesnt do some things that other games do better, but i also does it self justice in many aspects. as far as the avatar combat everyone is talking about, it wasnt even involved in the game, and was added like 6 months ago, so it is behind the rest, but it is getting alot of love and will catch up. also alot of features are going to be added including player housing/ player goverment and such. it seems everytime you have a new mmo out, people expect it to be a 100% product out the door. the nice thing about mmos is they are works in progress that you can have fun growing with. and my 2 cents is potbs is the best mmo i have played for my personal likes. again that is me, and really that is all i worry about lol
    you have a point here, of sorts.  MMO games have been around for a decade+ now.  What gamers EXPECT to be in an MMO, is no surprise to any person educated on current/past mmos, who is developing a new MMO.  Now, if the game is f2p or cheap in comparison to other MMOs out, sure, not having all the bells and whistles i look for is acceptable.   if they're wanting $50-70 for the box and $14+/month for a sub; then, i do expect a certain amount of "stuff" as soon as i purchase, install, and begin playing the game.

after all, these games ARE in production for YEARS, and it's really no secret what players are looking for in a game.  it may be sci-fi, fantasy, horror, whatever theme, but players are going to want housing, to be able to customize avatars/mounts/homes/everything, some will want a rich pvp environment, others will want a rich pve environment, some will want both, many will want a working/workable marketplace of some sort.  none of these things should be a surprise to anyone who is spending years to develop a game.

players desiring avatars seem to have been a surprise to this games' creators. eve doesn't have avatars and it's been such a complaint by the player-base, that ccp has been working on avatars for some months now.  other games without actual "person" avatars don't come to mind.  i believe auto assault didn't have any.  notice the past tense.

i'm hoping for the best from this game, lord knows we could use a new decent game TO play.  since SOE is involved, i will be waiting for a couple of quarters past release to go and enjoy this game.  please, no one reply with "soe doesn't control anything about this game".  if that's the case come Q3 2008, then all is well.  if it's not, then...

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• jazix01jazix01 Member Posts: 2

just got into the open beta a week or so ago and leveled up to 22. then just recently leveled to 50 for the open beta event, and got one of the best ships a privateer can get.  the game is fun i'll admit but you need a crap load of patience for the ship battles. it's quite realistic but in this case realistic means very slow and boring.  if you thought eve online combat was drawn out and boring, play this game.  it'll open your eyes to a new form of tedium.

yay for another beta saving me money ^_^

• futchmachtfutchmacht Member Posts: 33

"If you love developers who openly and honestly communicate with the playerbase extremely often, you'll love this game.

If you like deep and strategic ship to ship combat that takes into effect Hull Armor, Ammo, Cannons, Ship size, Wind Direction, Ship Orientation, Cover, Sail Durability, Structure Durability, Mast Durability, Crew size and morale, etc... you will love this game."

Totaly true i have asked questios aimed at the dev's and have them personally answered the SAME day.

And as for player content....ANY player can DESIGN and submit player made ships to the developers. and there ships can be added into the game!!!! (already a few of the ships have been desibned by players are in the game at launch) mind you these ships are produced by people who are VERY good with making 3d ship models. but is very interesting to see a game where people are welcome to make in game content.

and for the people less into making whole ships anyone can design flags and or sail decals which go through a vote system.. and if accepted will be entered into the game. at which you can make and sell them to others.. how about that for an extra aspect of player made content.

• VincenzVincenz Member Posts: 1,498

Good and Bad things about PotBS

2.Cool clothing selection for free.No armors,or something that gives you more armor witch is great cause in VCO a shirt gives you armor that is kinda impossible.

5.The game does not include mining or woodcutting but about crafting that i don't know.
    9.you can't put up a Shop yourself.(i think)

um...

wrong...

wrong...

and

wrong...