Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's good?

Hello! Well, I was thinking to check out this game but before I do, I would like you guys to tell me what's so good about this game and if it's a long-term game.... And if any, what would be the cons?

Thanks,

D4rv3n!

Comments

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

The main con is that there's hardly any contents when you reach max lvl. That's why it's not a long-term game, imo.

The pro is mainly the beautiful graphics and a community that's better than average. Roleplayers seems to like this game very much, too.

Imo, LOTRO is first of all for players who has not played a lot of MMOs. The reason is simply that this game doesn't have anything new to offer. If you have played a lot of MMOs (ie EQ2, Vanguard, WoW, etc.) there is a chance you will get tired of LOTRO quite quickly. Simply because you've seen it all before.

LOTRO isn't trash, I'm not saying that. But it's lacking. This may become a good game when more contents pathes are released, and maybe an expansion or two, but right now it's just too shallow.

• CartographyCartography Member UncommonPosts: 331

LoTRO is great leveling 1-50, after that I  quit due to boredom. If you like playing alts, you'll like the game. The only other problem I had with the game was the armor/artwork, it's terrible... people will say it keeps with the lore, but to me it feels completely uninspired. If you play a male character, and unless you are wearing a robe, I hope you enjoy wearing tights/bodysuits lvl 1-50.

• labg11labg11 Member Posts: 84

Why do people even bother to say something not even backed up with anything, and absolutely wrong... artwork of the armor uninspired? OMG!!! what are you smoking dude.

And nothing to do after 50, nothing new to offer compared to other mmorpg's???

One thing about this game, people and please do take seriously this advice.... Game is extremely well done, from lvl 1-50, expansions coming out regulary, map zones expansion on the sigth now and under development a long time ago... amazing dev's and crew, the community is almost perfect.

I really don't get the guys telling, this is a boring game, not a chance in hell, i play since beta and i never ran out of things to do... FFS i even learned to play music!

Just explore the game, get into the lore, get in touch with the community and blend.

Namarië

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by labg11

Why do people even bother to say something not even backed up with anything, and absolutely wrong... artwork of the armor uninspired? OMG!!! what are you smoking dude.

Logicbox9 did back it up. His/her issues are about tights/bodysuits. Learn to read.

And nothing to do after 50, nothing new to offer compared to other mmorpg's???

Well? If I'm wrong, and you don't agree, point out all the stuff you can do after 50 and what's new compared to other MMOs, then. You're the one who complained about "not even backed up with anything", so it's just fair you act as you ask of others.

One thing about this game, people and please do take seriously this advice.... Game is extremely well done, from lvl 1-50, expansions coming out regulary, map zones expansion on the sigth now and under development a long time ago... amazing dev's and crew, the community is almost perfect.

There has NOT been released any expansion yet. Content patches (books) are not expansions.

I really don't get the guys telling, this is a boring game, not a chance in hell, i play since beta and i never ran out of things to do... FFS i even learned to play music!

Boring or not, that's a matter of opinions, you do understand that???

Just explore the game, get into the lore, get in touch with the community and blend.

Namarië

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

Originally posted by D4rv3n

Hello! Well, I was thinking to check out this game but before I do, I would like you guys to tell me what's so good about this game and if it's a long-term game.... And if any, what would be the cons?

Thanks,
    D4rv3n!
    Its an EQ2, WOW type game. What makes it good is the community.  There is enough to do for a single toon than you could do in 6 months of non-stop play. This game doesnt save all of that until after level 50. You gain access to this at very early levels. Traits, reputation, Hard group quests, areas that are basically raids for low levels. GA and fornost for example. Alot of people just skip over these things and level to 50. Missing out on alot, ALOT of content. The only content you're excluded from until after 50 is raids. There are 2 and if you want the whole set of rift armour, you'll be playing for a while. Especially if you try and do these with none of your traits or have the rep with certain factions to gain bonus' and things like repair anvils.

getting rare drops that you can turn into furniture for your house or kin hall. Decoration for houses and kin halls can also be bought from factions if you have enough reputation.

Theres enough to keep you busy for a long time. Iv'e been playing since the beginning of beta 2 i think. A year and half almost. Ive never cam close to doing everything, or maxing out a toon. It would take forever. Especially since they keep adding so much so fast.

If your expecting this game to be like those that force you to level to max level before you can do anything fun, and play the game that way, youll probably be expecting more at level 50. If you want to develope a char in middle earth as best you can, you'll be overwhelmed at how much you can do.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• OrihuelaOrihuela Member Posts: 115

Thanks,
    D4rv3n!

Well, you only have to read this http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Release/All and you will know that this game is a long-term game...

• Kon85Kon85 Member Posts: 88

Thanks,
    D4rv3n!

That is a big question. You will get loads of different answers. Here is mine;

Before lotro, I played WoW for 3 years. That is a long time, so naturally I compared it with WoW. In the beginning (lvl1-15) I found lotro to be less good then WoW. I felt that I was playing an average mmorpg.

BUT, then I reached lvl15+ and the epic story quest kicked in. Man...I never played such great quests before. Also, I tweaked my PC and ran lotro on high settings, which made it look very very nice. I hear some people complaining about animation stiffnes, well, I guess they haven't found the animation smoothnes function yet

The only cons I have for lotro is the PVP. I don't like the way they made it. But, on the other hand, I play most mmo's for the PVE. So it isn't that big of a deal. The last thing I really don't like about lotro, is the false complains about it from the gaming community. I hear to many stupid arguments why it is bad, and I always get a feeling that person didn't play up to at least lvl 20(where the storyline gets great and instances become more frequent).

I'm no fanboy, not I really recommend this mmo.

I also recommend RP-ing with this game. You don't have to be an ubergeek here, casual RP-ing is fun also. But this games lore really invites you to roleplay a bit, which really works because of the things you can do in lotro; emotes, playing your own music, smoking, etc. Some of these things are quite unique.

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by Netspook

The main con is that there's hardly any contents when you reach max lvl. That's why it's not a long-term game, imo.
    The pro is mainly the beautiful graphics and a community that's better than average. Roleplayers seems to like this game very much, too.
    Imo, LOTRO is first of all for players who has not played a lot of MMOs. The reason is simply that this game doesn't have anything new to offer. If you have played a lot of MMOs (ie EQ2, Vanguard, WoW, etc.) there is a chance you will get tired of LOTRO quite quickly. Simply because you've seen it all before.
    LOTRO isn't trash, I'm not saying that. But it's lacking. This may become a good game when more contents pathes are released, and maybe an expansion or two, but right now it's just too shallow.

Just curious on when the last time you played Netspook, as there has been quite a bit of content added in the last few months for the upper levels. 

There is more than plenty of content for multiple alts from levels 1-50... so that's not much of an issue. 

The main contention seems to be what to do at level 50.  Here's a short list of some of the things you can do once you reach level 50.

- MPvP

There are quite a few players that have a great time with the freeps vs. creeps battles.  It isn't for everyone, but it can be a lot of fun if you enjoy large group battles.  A new area is being added in the up-coming book (a few weeks away).

- Raids

They have added some additional raids for those that like doing those.  It's not really my thing but there are quite a few kinships that have regular groups participating.  Another thing that is nice about the raids in LoTRo is that you don't have to belong to an "uber-guid" to participate.  Most of the raids can be done with less than the max-raid-group-size of 24... so they are quite a bit easier to organize than the 40-man groups a lot of people are used to. 

One caveat about the raids in LoTRo. 

The loot from raids is NOT necessary to be an effective character. 

This sometimes causes raid-oriented players to be a bit miffed... but it's the design choice of LoTRo.  Raids are optional content... just like all the other level 50 content.

Again not really something that I get into; but it's there for those that do enjoy it.  There are a number of different groups with whom you can gain reputation which then opens up additional items and content for you to participate in.

-Traits and Deeds

Very few players have their Traits and Deeds maxed out by the time they reach 50.  Those higher level Traits and Deeds can give some of the biggest boosts to your stats available in the game.  Additional Traits and Deeds are another thing that may be added in the upcoming books.

- Crafting

A lot of players I know like to wait until they reach 50 before they concentrate on their crafting, as it's an expensive venture for most professions and it's nice to be able to fund it with a character that has access to the higher levels and the drops that they can acquire.

- Housing

Another activity that can be an expensive proposition if you like to do some unique decorating.  There will be even more content and mechanics added for this area in the up-coming books.

- Help for Kinmates and Friends

I really enjoy helping my friends and kinmates with content that they are having trouble with or have decided to complete at a latter time.   This is how I spend the majority of my level 50 time... but it is more of a one-way proposition.  I guess it all depends on how much a person likes helping other people.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by dragonace

Just curious on when the last time you played Netspook, as there has been quite a bit of content added in the last few months for the upper levels. 

There is more than plenty of content for multiple alts from levels 1-50... so that's not much of an issue. 

The main contention seems to be what to do at level 50.  Here's a short list of some of the things you can do once you reach level 50.

- MPvP

There are quite a few players that have a great time with the freeps vs. creeps battles.  It isn't for everyone, but it can be a lot of fun if you enjoy large group battles.  A new area is being added in the up-coming book (a few weeks away).

- Raids

They have added some additional raids for those that like doing those.  It's not really my thing but there are quite a few kinships that have regular groups participating.  Another thing that is nice about the raids in LoTRo is that you don't have to belong to an "uber-guid" to participate.  Most of the raids can be done with less than the max-raid-group-size of 24... so they are quite a bit easier to organize than the 40-man groups a lot of people are used to. 

This sometimes causes raid-oriented players to be a bit miffed... but it's the design choice of LoTRo.  Raids are optional content... just like all the other level 50 content.

Again not really something that I get into; but it's there for those that do enjoy it.  There are a number of different groups with whom you can gain reputation which then opens up additional items and content for you to participate in.

-Traits and Deeds

Very few players have their Traits and Deeds maxed out by the time they reach 50.  Those higher level Traits and Deeds can give some of the biggest boosts to your stats available in the game.  Additional Traits and Deeds are another thing that may be added in the upcoming books.

- Crafting

A lot of players I know like to wait until they reach 50 before they concentrate on their crafting, as it's an expensive venture for most professions and it's nice to be able to fund it with a character that has access to the higher levels and the drops that they can acquire.

- Housing

Another activity that can be an expensive proposition if you like to do some unique decorating.  There will be even more content and mechanics added for this area in the up-coming books.

I really enjoy helping my friends and kinmates with content that they are having trouble with or have decided to complete at a latter time.   This is how I spend the majority of my level 50 time... but it is more of a one-way proposition.  I guess it all depends on how much a person likes helping other people.

Good stuff there.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• FurrbawlFurrbawl Member Posts: 95

Thanks,
    D4rv3n!
    You want to know why some love and some hate the game?

It's all about play style.

If you are in a race to get to max level, a power-gamer player that plays 4-5 hours a day or more. Or 12+ hours on the weekend, then you will think there is nothing to the game, get bored, leave, and talk bad about it.

If you are a more casual player - 10 hours or so a week. Or actually read the story line of the quests, get envolved in the community, crafting, buying a house, or working on traits. Then you will love the game.

Think about how your play style is for MMO's and you will know if you will like it.

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
    J. R. R. Tolkien

• Masta22Masta22 Member Posts: 298

I agree. The community is what makes this game shine. Me and my kin are in a band. One of my kin members makes own songs (and they really are spectacular and theres diffrerent roles for each instrument). Then we play the songs together using the sync command and it really is great fun, makes you forget about questing.  Im on the Laurelin server btw. Listen to us, we are great.

So its true that if all you are after is rushing to max level then this game probably isnt for you.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by Masta22

... So its true that if all you are after is rushing to max level then this game probably isnt for you.
    True words.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

- MPvP

- Raids

-Traits and Deeds

- Crafting

- Housing

Good post Dragonace.

Though these things aren't really new or revolutionary, neither is any other MMO out there. TR offers a new angle on the genre, but is mostly more of the same.

LOTRO is a highly polished, graphically beautiful game with tried and true gameplay mechanics that anyone who has played any fantasy based MMO will immediately pick up on.

Pros include:

1) Beautiful graphics (landscape, at least).

2) Pretty darn good community compared with some 9 million player strong MMOs

3) Lots to do, enough that you can spend a night just grinding one thing or another, or completing quests.

Cons include:

1) No end game (obviously, this will be addressed in due time)

2) Pretty much just another fantasy MMO without much innovation.

3) Chained pre-requisite quest set up can make PuGs annoying and short-lived.

4) Extremely linear.

Overall, I would have no problem recommending LOTRO to anyone as a MMO to play, especially MMO newcomers.

• Sicc1Sicc1 Member UncommonPosts: 243

IMO like said above if youve played other MMOs you might find this game lacking,i sure did.Like stated above the armor is awefully ugly and artwork is nothing to be excited about.The landscapes are sometimes nice to look at.But i didnt find the combat very exciting and it was just the same old thing with nothing new or exciting to really hook me into it like SWG,WoW,and EQ2 did.Hard to put my finger on it really but it was just....boring.

Darkfall - Sick
    Earthrise - Sick

Originally posted by Sicc1

IMO like said above if youve played other MMOs you might find this game lacking,i sure did.Like stated above the armor is awefully ugly and artwork is nothing to be excited about.The landscapes are sometimes nice to look at.But i didnt find the combat very exciting and it was just the same old thing with nothing new or exciting to really hook me into it like SWG,WoW,and EQ2 did.Hard to put my finger on it really but it was just....boring.
    Definately can be a feeling of "more of the same" if you've been playing MMOs for a long time, but you can't fault Turbine for releasing an incomplete unpolished game. I found the graphics quite beautiful (anytime you're near water at least).

The combat, crafting and general gameplay is nothing new per se, but what's there is very well done.

• D4rv3nD4rv3n Member Posts: 164

Well, First thanks for all the answers... Yes I think I've played most or all the best MMORPG's out there, starting at Tibia, Lineage II, Ultima Online, thru all the new games out there.... So I do know a lot about MMORPG's and I think that's why I can't find "the one" because basiclly I've seen most of it. One thing that worries me a bit is the class system.... Is it simple or the game has it's own races and class names? I'll sure give this game a try when I find a second....

D4rv3n!

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

- MPvP

- Raids

-Traits and Deeds

- Crafting

- Housing

Good stuff there.

OP,

Its the same damn game as WoW or EQII just with a LotR twist.

Yes, I play. We have 2 accounts.

We all know for a fact that new areas are coming in expansions. I'm sure it will add to the "endgame" for those minded players to keep them entertained for a couple of days.

Are there simple classes? Or like LOTRO kind of classes?

• swainiacswainiac Member Posts: 120

Thanks,
    D4rv3n!

Long time WoW player here - I quit when LotRO came out and started playing it. Here is my answer to your question:

The quests are fair - some very good others boring but overall a good mix and I would classify them as "good"

The graphics are very good - I have a high-end rig and they were amazing. I have seen it on a low-end and still not too bad + no hit on gameplay.

The title system is fun and unique.

The skill system is "good" - not great, but fun.

I grew tired of the game a couple of months in just because it didn't continue to ring my bell but definatley worth at least a purchase and the free month's play. try the Trial for free.

Yea, I have a high-end rig too, but I heard that u can't run in on high in trial? Is it true?

D4rv3n!

• DruzDruz Member Posts: 276

Yea, I have a high-end rig too, but I heard that u can't run in on high in trial? Is it true?

D4rv3n!

It's true, you can only access high res textures when you use the retail CD and download the high res texture pack - even if you download the pack the trial will not let you use it

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by Druz

D4rv3n!

It's true, you can only access high res textures when you use the retail CD and download the high res texture pack - even if you download the pack the trial will not let you use it

Huh??? 

There are 2 trial downloads you can choose from; I've quoted them exactly like they are on the webpage that you can access from the link below:

www.lotro.com/trial

Download Now!

Click Here for 4.7GB Client

High Resolution Download

Click Here for 6.6GB Client

I'll let you make up your mind on which one you want to download. 

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Go for the hi rez client.  The low rez one looks poopy and really doesn't run any better if you have an even halfway decent vid card.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

The classes are fairly standard MMO fare....sort of.

You got your CC (Loremaster), Tank (Guardian), Healer (Minstral), Nuker (Rangers actually have in the description in the charactor creator), and Rogues (rhieves, high dmg, stealth)

But they do conform to the LOTR lore in the design.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Die_Scream

The classes are fairly standard MMO fare....sort of.

You got your CC (Loremaster), Tank (Guardian), Healer (Minstral), Nuker (Rangers actually have in the description in the charactor creator), and Rogues (rhieves, high dmg, stealth)

But they do conform to the LOTR lore in the design.

IMHO, if LotR has a weak spot, its the dry classes. They are very limited / narrow in scope and completely combat centric.

Basically, if you don't follow the linear path of the game, you are not going to find much else to do. Show me "kill 10 boars" grasshopper. The instanced portions are very good (for an MMORPG) IMHO.