Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Carebear Enjoyment

GhabrielGhabriel Member Posts: 6

Thinking about giving the game a go, but one thing keeps me back: is there a reliable way to avoid loosing skills? I.e. is it possible to either just PvE, or PvP without skill-loss risk (ship/money loss is more than fine)?

Comments

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

The only way you can lose skills is if you forget to upgrade your clone.  This is a very very easy thing to do though so not really worth mentioning, imo.  Now then, forgetting to set a long skill to train when they patch....   THAT will lose you some time...  :p

Ship/ISK loss is pretty much going to happen at some point so glad to see you say that doesn't matter.

• GhabrielGhabriel Member Posts: 6

(wow, awesome fast reply)

So the clones are easy to keep updated?

Are there pvp "systems" or is it open chaos everywhere?

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680
    Originally posted by Ghabriel

You seem to misunderstand there is Open PvP everywhere. Even in the Noob zones.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

Hmmm, it seems I do misunderstand.

Is there anything that prevents just noob-camping/gankfests galore?

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

There is open pvp everywhere. The solar systems all have a security standing, from 0.0 (the systems with no security) up to 1 (the most secure systems). In systems from 0.5 to 1 the police is there to maintain security, so if you attack anyone in those systems the police will hunt you down.

To answer your question, the newbies will prefer to stay in the higher security level systems. In the lower security systems you will find the player starbases and outposts, but you need to be strong to survive there (due to the many pirates and especially the pirate players and the pirate player corporations who hunt for a living).

Is it possible to get a solid foot hold, or will I have to prep myself for being ganked constantly? (more of an issue considering the harshness of the death penalty per se in this as opposed to other MMOs)

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Don't worry, there is no ganking in the higher security level systems.

Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear. I wanted to make sure there was some peaceful place to do stuff in addition to the treacherous lawlessness of the low sec places.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Empire is "Safe". Concord doesnt prevent Crime, but it punishes an attack with shiploss of the attacker, so you will only get attacked if you:
    Have about double the worth of the attacking ship in cargo, so the ganker makes profit with it.
    AND have to be in a ship that can be killed within 10-20 seconds.

Nothing a newbie will achieve in the first month. And after that, it is not very likely that you will carry so much stuff with you that anyone will try to anbush you in high security space.

Btw. i recommend this Video about the topic. ;)

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Is it possible to get a solid foot hold, or will I have to prep myself for being ganked constantly? (more of an issue considering the harshness of the death penalty per se in this as opposed to other MMOs)
    In the "safe" zones 1.0 to 0.6 security the police shot down anyone that takes a single shot at you, so being killed in the safe zones as a newbie is not even possible (unless it has changed over the last year).

You start out in a npc corporation which is not at war with anyone, but if you join a player corporation they can be at war with someone & those can kill you without intervention from police.

Death-penalty: there are insurances for ships (cover a certain percentage of ships value & clones for xp. Implants however do get destroyed.

Thanks for the replies everyone (and amusing vid btw). Download complete so going to go throw myself into it.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Its even more funny because there is some truth about that vid. ;)

• Anti-FanboiAnti-Fanboi Member Posts: 188

Originally posted by METALDRAG0N
    Originally posted by Ghabriel (wow, awesome fast reply)

You seem to misunderstand there is Open PvP everywhere. Even in the Noob zones.

This is a misnomer. There is pvp everywhere but in High sec it's not all out open pvp. If anything pvp in high sec is scam based (ie..tricking you into going red so to speak or suicide ganks) or consensual. If you have an IQ above 70 you can avoid most PvP threats in high sec space.

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

They're very easy to update, when you're in a station with a medical icon you simply choose the clone. There are a lot to choose from, but just pick a clone that holds higher (not too high, no point in wasting money if you tend to PvP a lot) your current skill points. Once your pod is destroyed you will be sent back to the station that you setup your clone, so updating it is very easy. ;)

Oh, and you can change the station of your clone so long as there is a medical centre.

-iCeh

• hawk162hawk162 Member Posts: 36

Don't play Eve if your worried about losing your ship and isk etc... its a big aspect to this game and you'll miss out on a lot if you don't get into low sec space.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

I stay mainly in high security.

been playing for 5 months, in one of the more heavily trafficked places in the game, and i've never ever gotten ganked.

only time i've been attacked was during a war between my corp and another

Itchmon

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Only ship I've ever lost in high sec happened when I was grouped up with my main (who was in a corp) and my alt character (who was in a noob corp).  I accidently shot a wreck (instead of tractoring it) with my alt that my main had killed...and was stunned when I was killed by Concord.

Fortunately the GM's gave me back my ship (hey, it was a ROKH) and I've learned to keep my hands well away from the guns when grouping with an alt.

My corp is always getting wardec'd, and while I've been chased a few times in Empire I've never been killed by a Wardec corp. (you need to stay away from Jita particularly if you are wardec'd)

But stay in a noobcorp and you can't even be wardec'd.

Though the game is far more fun if you join a real corp, even with the threat of being wardec'd.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

In my opinion Eve is very grief friendly with lots of tools to give griefers the upper hand if you're not aware.

There is a tactic, which i consider a grief tactic, whereby people sit in crappy ships that they arent afriad to loose near a gate. They cargo scan your hold and if they find something of value they make the decision to shoot at you and then take the concord (NPC police) hit while their buddies loot whatever is left over.

trade hubs are loaded with 'gate gankers'.  On the average however, hi sec systems are less prone to griefers or grief tatics. CCP's stance on this is that Eve is a 'cold hard universe'.   Lo-sec or null sec systems have standard gate ganks set up whereby no police show up (because its lo sec) - which i consider to be a in a totally different category then hi sec gankers.

My stance is the risk vs reward concepts in this game are totaly fubar right now.

Anyway, hi sec can be considered pretty safe. But Eve is hardcore in the sense you can spend weeks or months obtaining items and ships and loose it all to a bad day, being in the wrong place at the wrong time or not being smart about where you travel and how.  Eve forces you to be smart and always looking over your shoulder....some people love this some dont.

I have learned my lesson a few months ago that NPC patrolled space is policed but the police action is a REACTIVE one which means you're really never safe.

I hate to love the game and love to hate the game.  I bounce back and fourth between the two like Lindsey Lohan and rehab.

I find the "geo" policitcal stuff to be interesting but I've never felt part of it. So while I can watch wars go on with great interest and find it exciting to see major alliances fall I'm feel powerless to actaully have any real impact other than being a solider in a fleet "blob". 

Take away the pvp and I find most of the content highly highly repetitive.  Having said that I like the game if you can believe it from my post :P

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

Originally posted by JelloB2000

In the "safe" zones 1.0 to 0.6 security the police shot down anyone that takes a single shot at you, so being killed in the safe zones as a newbie is not even possible (unless it has changed over the last year).

You start out in a npc corporation which is not at war with anyone, but if you join a player corporation they can be at war with someone & those can kill you without intervention from police.

Death-penalty: there are insurances for ships (cover a certain percentage of ships value & clones for xp. Implants however do get destroyed.

Respectfully, unless something has changed regarding my facts I beg to differ. A newbie could get into a hauler and a hauler can be one shotted **if** there's more then one person as part of the gank squad.  I've been ganked in a .8 in the last year or so.

The only time you're %100.00 safe from ship destruction is in a space station.  I will however, agree that on the average .6-1.0 are pretty safe.

• teko82teko82 Member Posts: 8

As one wrote, don't make it worth to shoot you down. If your flying in an untaked transportship with loads of expensive stuff it's worth it (got ganked that way once ;) ). But even if your flying  tanked transport ship, your cargo might be worth loosing a couple of ships.. One way to be a little safer is not to fly on autopilot when carying expensive stuff..

But high-sec ganking is kinda a rare.. High-sec PvP is primarely wars between corps and alliances or people avenging killrights.. Once in a while some corps do hauler ganking just to do it, and kill whatever they can, but again, it's not everyday, and normally only in one system ;)

Low-sec (0.4-0.0) on the other hand is game on, and people will shoot you down, even if your flying without any cargo ;)

• KulthosKulthos Member Posts: 89

Originally posted by teko82

Low-sec (0.4-0.0) on the other hand is game on, and people will shoot you down, even if your flying without any cargo ;)

Ganking and griefing is very common in lowsec space, and the missions will send you into lowsec space.  Expect to lose ships and implants often.