Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help picking right Video card for my comp

C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
I was wondering if you guys could help me pick out a new video card for my new computer(Inspiron 531)with vista home basic on it. I was given this comp for christmas and all I play on it is a bit of WoW everynow and then, and i tried without a card and it is a bit choppy. What do you all reccommend? Im not looking for an expensive card, Around $50bucks, im not a very big gamer, just looking for somthing that runs good with vista and is quiet and cool.

Edit: I was looking at this card, www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

Is this the right card for my system(Meaning right card interface)

Comments

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

not a good enough machine for gaming where i would even bother.........

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• D4rv3nD4rv3n Member Posts: 164

Originally posted by Vampir

@up

that's not what he's asking, ur not helping him....

Well, I would recommend u spend some more money and get something in 8000's but if ur not a gamer but u need a cheap card under 50$ I guess you should go with the one u want.... Don't expect to play the new games on it tho....

EDIT: From what I'm seeing after looking at this model is that it comes with GeForce 8300 GT, check ur graphic card again, if not then go with the one ur showing

• C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
    Originally posted by Vampir

Hey bro thanks for those brilliant words. Ill let you know when I post another question just so you can come on in and post something stupid again. Anyone a little smarter got a suggestion.

BTW: thanks D4, what i didnt understand was ur edit part?

"EDIT: From what I'm seeing after looking at this model is that it comes with GeForce 8300 GT, check ur graphic card again, if not then go with the one ur showing"

What you mean by this?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

the 7300 series is a decent card. I would however, look into ATI as they have better performance per cost.  It depends on how much money you're looking to spend.  Good luck!

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

If you can spare 9 more dollars than this should play WoW fine for you:

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

What CPU did your Inspiron come with? If it has a core 2 duo then I would spend a few more and get the 1650PRO the one listed above me, was a good choice or a 7600GS if you wana spend a few more.

With a celeron CPU that could be in your PC would be limited to going anything really good. The CPU becomes a bottleneck. The base CPU is the celeron 1.6 GHz 800FSB for that PC.

If you do have the core 2 duo then go with the 7600GS or higher if you can afford it.

If you have the celeron then a good bet is the 1650PRO for $59 on newegg, it has a slightly higher clock frequency on the GPU over the 1650XT, even though it won't be a smoking system you inch closer to bottlenecking the celeron with anything bigger then 1650 model from ATI. For Nvidia your price/performance doesn't start till you go 7600GS, where ATI has a much better price/performance.

my processor is : AMD Athlon(Tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+(2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz

Originally posted by C.L.O.U.D

my processor is : AMD Athlon(Tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+(2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    Hmm yeah your fine then. I was surprised you got a AMD in yours. Most Dell Inspiron are made with a Intel processor. But hey, AMD is so cheap now, adding that processor in and charging the same amount makes them a better profit.

Your CPU is just as good as the slowest Core 2 Duo so go with the 1650Pro or 7600GS if you can afford the 80 bucks. Remember though, anything below 7600GS is slower then the 1650Pro starting price/performance.

And you can play WOW and every MMO out with that setup, it won't play them at max graphical settings but you should be ok with most of them at medium settings. WOW will play max with your setup.

Im running Vista with DX10, and that card up there ^ only supports DX9, so if any of you have any suggestions let me kno, Btw thanks to all of you who have helped. :)    (>^.^)>

Im running Vista with DX10, and that card up there ^ only supports DX9, so if any of you have any suggestions let me kno, Btw thanks to all of you who have helped. :)    (>^.^)>

The thing is, there is no DX10 cards out for 50 dollars that will give you the performance of a 1650 pro.

Do you mind me asking why you want DX10 capability? WoW doesn't support DX10 and with $50 your not gonna get a video card that can take advantage of the DX10 graphical capabilities.

If you really want a DX10 card look for the 8500GT, but the 1650 pro is the better card for gaming.

Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

I don't mind helping people but it sounds to me like your asking for to much. Your system isn't going to carry a DX10 API that well for your price range. Not to mention DX10 games are very heavy dependent on top end hardware.

Your not going to get any DX10 titles to play that well on such low end video cards even if they where DX10 cards. DX9 is still great and will carry your PC for a couple years if you rarely game anyway.

Now if you wanted to spend some more money a 8600GT is your next step for a good price/performance with DX10. To me I think it won't matter with your system.

Look DX10 is the version that came with my comp, idc if the card is Dx10 or not, if a DX9 card will work on my comp thats fine, ill use it if it will work.

Look DX10 is the version that came with my comp, idc if the card is Dx10 or not, if a DX9 card will work on my comp thats fine, ill use it if it will work.

Yes, a DX9 card will work on your computer.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

You might honestly be better off adding more RAM to tell you the truth. I bet your dell came with a gig or less, which is not gonna cut it playing games, no matter what video card you put in.

D.

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by daelnor
    You might honestly be better off adding more RAM to tell you the truth. I bet your dell came with a gig or less, which is not gonna cut it playing games, no matter what video card you put in.D.

What he said.

If you have anything from 1gb ram or less. Get another gigabyte. If you got a 8300GT, im sure it will run WoW quite fine, if you just added another gb, since WoW is a MMORPG... and as we know, MMORPG and Vista eats memory.

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

• TegamalTegamal Member Posts: 66

I'd suggest spending a little more & getting more for your money.  This is what I am going to put in my system:  www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

I have the same CPU as you, 2gb ram now & adding two more, should be a decent setup when finished.

• asupermaneasupermane Member Posts: 682
    Originally posted by Tegamal

I'd suggest spending a little more & getting more for your money.  This is what I am going to put in my system:  www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx
    I have the same CPU as you, 2gb ram now & adding two more, should be a decent setup when finished.

I second that, you might want to play a more graphic intensive MMO in the years to come, and why buy another gpu if your not a hardcore pc gamer. Just a thought.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

If I recall correctly, WoW is a memory/processor intensive game rather than a graphically intensive game due to the programming style.

YOu'd definitely be better off with more memory I think, and it will probably be cheaper.

D.