Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there an existing game where...

AhnilatorAhnilator Member UncommonPosts: 81

you don't have to go to big cities all the time to repair your equipement / buy potions?

Is there a single game here that you DON'T need to always be in a city / village so you can explore the world and kill stuff when you encounter them instead of always picking up boring quest and then return back to that place to complete it? Like a real adventure... You know, having a backpack with some food in it and nothing else than your sword? I really bored of sh!ts like WoW! I don't wanna stay in Stormwind and wait for my items in the auction house to be sold! I don't want to stay in that retarded-filled asylum to repair my stuff or craft there. I want to be able to be completly free and wander wherever I want to be without worrying about missing quest that could give me some good experience. I want to explore the world (without a map) and have like 2 entire day of playing without seeing anything else than grassy plain or giant tree-filled forest full of monsters! Wouldn't it be great? If your weapon break, you just have to repair them yourself and if you are wounded and don't have anything to heal you, you just have to search and pick up herb and mixing them in a mortar and pestle until you have something helpful. It would be awesome to be in an enormous world where there's alot of player playing with you but you encounter them only like 1 per hour or so... Sorry, I was bored. I like to rant about cities in MMORPGs though.

I may have done some mistake up here so I'd like you to forgive me.

Comments

• SerefineSerefine Member Posts: 6

Ooooo! I want one of those too!

I can't say I've encountered something like that yet, but I've had dreams about it. Living in the wild, surviving on your own wits, just popping into town now and again to pick up some supplies and perhaps sell your spoils. I would actually like to be able to stay away from town for longer periods.

The reason I see it not viable in current games is that you have to go to trainers (usually in a city)  to train new skills and crafts, and though you don't have to, life will be much harder if you do not. It would also make it hard to form parties, atleast if you only want to meet one person an hour, it would be a big world and take time to meet up with others.

It's a sweet idea, but maybe not the most feasible feature for a MMO.

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

Well in WOW you only have to go back to small towns.

• r0hnr0hn Member Posts: 185

Not true about WoW, every 2 levels one should visit the trainer.  Most trainers are only in big cities.   There are quests in big cities that originate/end there.  Want to do high level crafting, good luck not visiting a city.  Auction house?  Oh ya, big city.

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

I think you may like nethack games. I can't remember the name of one graphic nethack game, but it's not hard to find when you look up nethack. :)

-- Brede

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

you sir just described my dream mmo. I would like to add in:

• Hunting animals for food (you can starve or get dehydrated)
    • Climb trees and mountains
    • when you camp, you actually built a camp or just a tent or something (for logging out) maybe you stay there invounerable or something but people can see your camp in the forest.
    • One Major starting city at the edge of the world or in the middle
    • One city, players must branch out on their own to make city
    • everything player made (like how SWG was)
    • No levels only skills you get better at doing as you do them
    • little magic or none at all
    • horses a must

There are probably more things I would like in my dream mmo but I can't think of.

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

^

Why don't you just go out into the jungle

• sircusasircusa Member UncommonPosts: 11

Originally posted by slannmage

^
    Why don't you just go out into the jungle

Because he'll die....forever o_o

Lucky for you guys, I know of 2 games. Both have kind of crappy graphics but they have what you want.

Wurm Online is rather difficult at the start and best to play with friends but it has no leveling at all. You can improve your skills like crafting, blacksmithing, etc but you need the tools. Usually, you start with making a pot to cook food in but you need to get some clay. That's where exploring comes in! You can also ask for help at the IRC and there are many guides and a wikipedia. You start with no money and gainning money is quite hard so you either buy with real money, trade with players, find something npc shops buy or just stay poor forever and trade items for items. I didn't really go too deep into the game but I'd imagine how awesome playing this with friends would be! Also, there are 2 server types and 4 gods (3 good, 1 bad), pvp and non-pvp servers. There are also player made cities and you can make your own house X3

There's also Irth Online but I don't really know too much. It's a bit similar to Wurm Online, possibly easier actually. (Wurm Online is kind of hard, a pot takes an hour in real life to harden on a crappy camp fire @_@)

http://www.wurmonline.com/

http://www.irthonline.com/

Enjoy ^^

• RidgewoodNYRidgewoodNY Member Posts: 28

MMORPG's are supposed to simulate real world

Originally posted by Ahnilator

you don't have to go to big cities all the time to repair your equipement / buy potions?
    Is there a single game here that you DON'T need to always be in a city / village so you can explore the world and kill stuff when you encounter them instead of always picking up boring quest and then return back to that place to complete it? Like a real adventure... You know, having a backpack with some food in it and nothing else than your sword? I really bored of sh!ts like WoW! I don't wanna stay in Stormwind and wait for my items in the auction house to be sold! I don't want to stay in that retarded-filled asylum to repair my stuff or craft there. I want to be able to be completly free and wander wherever I want to be without worrying about missing quest that could give me some good experience. I want to explore the world (without a map) and have like 2 entire day of playing without seeing anything else than grassy plain or giant tree-filled forest full of monsters! Wouldn't it be great? If your weapon break, you just have to repair them yourself and if you are wounded and don't have anything to heal you, you just have to search and pick up herb and mixing them in a mortar and pestle until you have something helpful. It would be awesome to be in an enormous world where there's alot of player playing with you but you encounter them only like 1 per hour or so... Sorry, I was bored. I like to rant about cities in MMORPGs though.
    I may have done some mistake up here so I'd like you to forgive me.

MMORPG's are supposed to simulate real world. In the real word you need to repair your car when tit breaks down.

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

I emphatically second the suggestion of Wurm Online.

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Originally posted by -retro-

The closest I came to what you're decsribing was that first magical year of SWG playing as a Ranger.

Man that was right. I remeber running around on naboo on launch and getting all the way to the edge of the map from the middle. It took 30 mins... good times...

Trying wurm out right now from the earlier suggestion.

"wurm online is more than just an MMORPG it is a simulation"

got me excited.

• AguyAguy Member Posts: 561

Wall of unreadable text hits you for over 9000 damage.

You die.

• AhnilatorAhnilator Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by Aguy

Wall of unreadable text hits you for over 9000 damage.
    You die.

Heh, sorry about the bad punctuation and the non-existing  paragraph thing! I'll try Wurm Online then.

• sircusasircusa Member UncommonPosts: 11

Read the guides on the website and try to make a group here before starting. The game is kind of hard to get into.

• hubertgrovehubertgrove Member Posts: 1,141

The closest I came to what you're decsribing was that first magical year of SWG playing as a Ranger.

Yes, pre-NGE SWG sounds very like what this fellow was looking for. I used to live in Endor in a tent for a couple of weeks, harvesting Merek hide. Ugh! Those many-legged monkey-spiders screaming into my camp while I was trying to heal still haunt me!

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

Originally posted by hubertgrove

Yes, pre-NGE SWG sounds very like what this fellow was looking for. I used to live in Endor in a tent for a couple of weeks, harvesting Merek hide. Ugh! Those many-legged monkey-spiders screaming into my camp while I was trying to heal still haunt me!

Meh.. Try camping on Rori with Novice Scout box, hunting the lil birdies for a week!

Only reason I stayed a week, was because it took me a week to gather the 50k meat the dealer of a certain Nightsister Bracer wanted for it.

I got from 3-12 meat per birdie...

So.. OP, you are kinda describing the old SWG, where you didn't have to go into town..if you didn't want to...tho... After a week in the wild, you might have wanted to hit a cantina... just to get the call of the wild outta yer head

imageThe last of the Trackers

• CharlyTrippoCharlyTrippo Member Posts: 16

=p sounds like a story to write about. lol

I wonder why in alot of games there`s absolutely no camps or camping.

just a fixed place of a town or city. Even a gypsy camp is on a fixed place, aren`t they supposed to be travelling people?

and like, the raids, the orcs never ever defeat a town. and a town never gets destroyed or rebuilt. or even replaced to a safer location. or runs empty, or is all of a sudden filled because of a "local event". *well, actually, that last thing DOES happen sometimes.

`t would also be funny if you`d have to set up a tent first before logging out safely when you`re in the middle of a forest or something :P or at least head back to your camp.

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

Originally posted by CharlyTrippo

=p sounds like a story to write about. lol

I wonder why in alot of games there`s absolutely no camps or camping.

just a fixed place of a town or city. Even a gypsy camp is on a fixed place, aren`t they supposed to be travelling people?

and like, the raids, the orcs never ever defeat a town. and a town never gets destroyed or rebuilt. or even replaced to a safer location. or runs empty, or is all of a sudden filled because of a "local event". *well, actually, that last thing DOES happen sometimes.

`t would also be funny if you`d have to set up a tent first before logging out safely when you`re in the middle of a forest or something :P or at least head back to your camp.

Thats because todays developers don't make worlds, they make themeparks.

In a themepark, nothing ever changes. You pay your ticket, visit, do the rides, and leave..and nothing would ever show that you was there.. Nothing ever changes.

Static worlds... Theres a reason alot of MMORPG'ers find a lack of immersiveness in todays games.. And to feel "it" they need to be in a instance, with a storyteller telling them that they ARE the main character of the whole wide world... Ya know..singleplayer games way of doing things :P

imageThe last of the Trackers