Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't play MMORPGs without roleplay anymore and need a bit of help...

glordglord Member UncommonPosts: 338

Since I can't find a game with good RP, I need help getting back into just playing the game. I can RP casually, but it's extremely difficult to play MMORPGs without RPing now because I just get tired of grinding and than the game loses my attention!

I also need help staying with one MMORPG. My attention span is so little, that I can't seem to stick with one game without trying out another and getting bored of the one I was playing. I've been MMO hopping ever since I started playing MMORPGs.

Comments

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431
    Originally posted by glord

Since I can't find a game with good RP, I need help getting back into just playing the game. I can RP casually, but it's extremely difficult to play MMORPGs without RPing now because I just get tired of grinding and than the game loses my attention!
    I also need help staying with one MMORPG. My attention span is so little, that I can't seem to stick with one game without trying out another and getting bored of the one I was playing. I've been MMO hopping ever since I started playing MMORPGs.

I feel your pain my friend. Sadly RP is a dying concept in MMOs. Todays MMO'r wants instant gratificiation, and rewards as opposed to us more old school players who appreciate the journey instead of getting to the destination as fast as we  can. I actually feel like the concept of RP died at the advent of the MMO, though there are a few survivors still RP'ing in MUDs.

• glordglord Member UncommonPosts: 338

Are there any MUDs you can recommend?

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

G'lord,

I roleplay all the time in EQ2 come on over and check it out it will be your new obsession. Ogglok on AB server...Ogg very popular here and having a blast!

• SpeiberbobSpeiberbob Member Posts: 233

i would advise you to get nwn1 or nwn2

and join one of the *player made persistant worlds* under the RolePlay folder

maybe even look at this build www.worldofcharun.net

Also eq2 antonia bayle server is very well known for its RP and eq2 is a realy nice game

with lots of stuff to do and nice graphics

AC2,AO,D&L,Lotro,VsoH,SWG,Uo,HGL,Drunners,CoH,GW,Potbs,PWI
    Eq2,Dofus,WoW,WWIIO,Ryzom,Planetside,EvE,TR,DDO,RFonline,FOM,VC,..etc blabla
    also hobbies....staring at loadingbars

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

seriously..if ya want to roleplay hop on eq2 and join one of the many rp guilds on antonia Bayle server I assure you RPing is not dead. the game has improved so much it is not hardly the same as it was ...I think it is prob the best MMO right now anyways...

I'm playing NWN1 on the escape from underdark server already. Great server so far!

I've tried the EQ2 RP community on Antonia Bayle and none of the RP guilds are very active, unless of course there is RP to be found outside of guilds.

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

I still play Gemstone 4. The type of RP these guys are talking about in MMOs isnt really roleplaying in its traditional sense. For example, in Gemstone, NO ONE, talks ooc. And if you do, people will treat you like you are a lunatic and ignore you. If you keep it up, youll get pulled from the game. now thats ROLEPLAYING.

Originally posted by Arcken

I still play Gemstone 4. The type of RP these guys are talking about in MMOs isnt really roleplaying in its traditional sense. For example, in Gemstone, NO ONE, talks ooc. And if you do, people will treat you like you are a lunatic and ignore you. If you keep it up, youll get pulled from the game. now thats ROLEPLAYING.

Is an occasional OOC comment okay in that game? I don't RP 100% of the time. Also, the trial required a credit card but I'll check it out when January starts most likely.

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

Originally posted by Arcken
    Originally posted by glord Since I can't find a game with good RP, I need help getting back into just playing the game. I can RP casually, but it's extremely difficult to play MMORPGs without RPing now because I just get tired of grinding and than the game loses my attention!
    I feel your pain my friend. Sadly RP is a dying concept in MMOs. Todays MMO'r wants instant gratificiation, and rewards as opposed to us more old school players who appreciate the journey instead of getting to the destination as fast as we  can. I actually feel like the concept of RP died at the advent of the MMO, though there are a few survivors still RP'ing in MUDs.

I hear ya, when I was playing EQ1 back in the day, my ultimate goal was to be able to explore the vast world of EQ, not getting to max level. Along the way I met and joined a good RP guild. Unfortunately that's dieing now. Heck if you even try to do it you'll get the usual "LOL! NUBCAKE! RPING SUXXORS LOL!" how sad.

• UtMoonUtMoon Member Posts: 99

Stop on over in http://www.planeshift.it/

Alpha tech demo stage MMORPG. Or as I like to call it, MMOIWG (imersive world). Most features are still basic, and not all races are modeled yet, but you will find an unequaled community.

Roleplaying is alive and well. If it is not to your liking, join the Devs as a prospect and help make it into the game you want. Free to play. No paying ever. No adds ever. No money is made by anyone working on the game, or for hosting it. Made by roleplayers for roleplayers. Roleplayers wanted.

I changed my mind. PlaneShift is not worth the time.

• LilaluLilalu Member Posts: 68

Oh, I had the same problem a year ago!  I tried some MMORPGs, but I was looking for RP and did not find any (or only very occasional). I am female (maybe thats the reason, maybe not) and just hate grinding and fighting all the time! It´s soooo boring!

I gave up on MMOs! There is no one out there, which could interest me for more than 5 minutes. 

Maybe planeshift will be good. But right now, it´s really an alpha stage MMORPG. If it gets ready or in Beta I will try it again.

Right now I play NWN2 on a persistant world. Its a very good gaming experience! Of course it´s not an MMO, it´s a small world and not more than 20 players online most of the time. But everybody you meet is role-playing constantly and instead of getting insulted, one can concentrate on the role and get more and more experience with RP.

I just love it!

Nevertheless I hope, there will be a different kind of MMORPG once with a bigger game-world and more role-players. But right now there is none and I would never go back to one of the usual MMOs out there!