Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Award for LOTRO

Eurogamer's Top 50 Games of 2007:

QUOTES: Game #47

John Walker: It's quite clear that Tolkien was ripping off Blizzard, and he should be ashamed.

Kieron Gillen: It's a solid enough MMO, but that it's included only shows what a weak year it's been for the genre. That the first thing I think of when I look back on my time with the game is the fact you can play the instruments on your keyboard says how genuinely uninspired it is. It's like your favourite bits of the books being Tolkien's terrible songs or something. And the hobbit-forming puns! Man!

Rob Fahey: It should, by all rights, have been a total car crash of an MMO - but LOTRO was actually that rarest of things, a polished, playable and hugely enjoyable MMO at launch. It's not about to kick WoW off the throne, but it's a damned good second option, and a great place to start in MMOs for those who haven't touched gaming's equivalent of Class A drugs just yet.

Congrats

Comments

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Congrats

Although I would have wanted LOTRO to be a bit higher on the list. Now true, they did list Super Mario Galaxy as the #2 game of the year which should in perspective of how much weight we ought to put into this list. WoW Burning crusade expansion was #21.

So as new MMORPG released  in 2007, LOTRO was the best. I agree with that.

Torrential

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by openedge1

Eurogamer's Top 50 Games of 2007:
    QUOTES: Game #47
    John Walker: It's quite clear that Tolkien was ripping off Blizzard, and he should be ashamed.
    Kieron Gillen: It's a solid enough MMO, but that it's included only shows what a weak year it's been for the genre. That the first thing I think of when I look back on my time with the game is the fact you can play the instruments on your keyboard says how genuinely uninspired it is. It's like your favourite bits of the books being Tolkien's terrible songs or something. And the hobbit-forming puns! Man!
    Rob Fahey: It should, by all rights, have been a total car crash of an MMO - but LOTRO was actually that rarest of things, a polished, playable and hugely enjoyable MMO at launch. It's not about to kick WoW off the throne, but it's a damned good second option, and a great place to start in MMOs for those who haven't touched gaming's equivalent of Class A drugs just yet.
    Congrats
    Thanks... nice find openedge.  (See I knew you were a closet fan all along!)

Couple of interesting things I noticed.

First of all... from the link you provided it has  LoTRo as this:

45. The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar

Yet, you say in your post "QUOTES: Game #47".  That struck me as odd.  I'm sure it was just a typo on your part. 

Secondly...

There are only 2 MMO's listed in the entire list.  LoTRo at #45 and WoW's expansion at #21.  Didn't some other MMO release a fairly prominent expansion this year as well?  I seem to forget the name of it though... perhaps someone else can remember it. 

So in summary... LoTRo is number 2 in MMOs to WoW this year.  I'm pretty sure that's what Turbine has been saying.  Thanks for confirming what Turbine has been telling us. 

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Well to me Walker is full of crap tolkien invented and/or is the godfather of orcs, blizzard and gamesworkshop ripped his books off. The fact that Turbine made a game involving his work is a different matter.  The guy should be fired as a journo for lack of research.

Someone at tolkien or turbine please sue his ass into the ground for that statement.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Wicoa

Well to me Walker is full of crap tolkien invented and/or is the godfather of orcs, blizzard and gamesworkshop ripped his books off. The fact that Turbine made a game involving his work is a different matter.  The guy should be fired as a journo for lack of research.
    Someone at tolkien or turbine please sue his ass into the ground for that statement.
    I have to agree..I wonder if he meant  "Turbine" but was so worked up, he got his words messed up...

I still believe Turbine was smart by being safe...they needed to be or it would have been the end for them..

The game is a very good clone at least...but with less magic, and that other thing Blizzard has....fun!

Cheers!

• brodiej2001brodiej2001 Member Posts: 17

He was being sarcastic. And it's not like Tolkien came up with the concept of Middle-Earth on his lonesome...a majority of his ideas come from Norse mythology.

On another note: I can't believe this absolute BORE of a game is winning anything at all.

The quotes from the OP are ridiculous exaggerations.

• khartman2005khartman2005 Member Posts: 477
    Originally posted by brodiej2001

He was being sarcastic. And it's not like Tolkien came up with the concept of Middle-Earth on his lonesome...a majority of his ideas come from Norse mythology.

On another note: I can't believe this absolute BORE of a game is winning anything at all.

The quotes from the OP are ridiculous exaggerations.

It may be boring to YOU but a majority of people like myself (lifetime founder subscriber) enjoy the laid back, pve style of the game. You want a hardcore game then there are plenty for you to choose from and a few more on the way.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I have to agree..I wonder if he meant  "Turbine" but was so worked up, he got his words messed up...

I still believe Turbine was smart by being safe...they needed to be or it would have been the end for them..

The game is a very good clone at least...but with less magic, and that other thing Blizzard has....fun!

Cheers!

I think that LOTRO is the clone of EQ2 , which is clone of WOW.

LOTRO does not have the magic of WOW

But it sure beats crap out EQ2 (which is truly a shit hole)

• khartman2005khartman2005 Member Posts: 477

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Cheers!

I think that LOTRO is the clone of EQ2 , which is clone of WOW.

LOTRO does not have the magic of WOW

But it sure beats crap out EQ2 (which is truly a shit hole)

New Flash

WoW is a clone of every single fantasy style mmo before it. They did not invent anything new, they just took old ideas from other MMO's and improved on them. I am sick of people saying every game is a clone of  WoW. WoW brought nothing new to the MMO world except for 2nd class cartoony graphics which ran on tons of computers old and new (that is why it is so popular). I can guarantee that if WoW had graphics like other MMO's today and had a higher system requirement there would not be 9 million accounts in WoW.

By the way that 9 million I keep hearing are not fully paid 14.99 accounts. Most of them are internet cafe accounts (in Asia) which are considerably less then the normal subscription plan.

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

LOTRO is an excellent MMO. Probably the first I would mark as 'AAA' since WoW.

However, I think the only reason it's owning all of these online game awards is because it had ZERO competion.

I mean honestly, did anyone actually think Vanguard or Tabula Rasa were going to win anything at all?

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by darquenblade

LOTRO is an excellent MMO. Probably the first I would mark as 'AAA' since WoW.
    However, I think the only reason it's owning all of these online game awards is because it had ZERO competion.
    I mean honestly, did anyone actually think Vanguard or Tabula Rasa were going to win anything at all?
    You do have a point... but that isn't really the fault of LoTRo... that it had no competition that is.

The same can be said for every year since 2004.  So, it isn't like this year is an aberration for MMO releases.  It's more the norm.  For whatever reason most years only have one MMO stand-out product.  There are a couple exceptions; 2004 being one of them... but usually there is only 1 title that is remembered; or considered a success.