Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP games = FAIL

legolass11legolass11 Member Posts: 12

Because people dont like gettin killed over and over again.. whats the fun in that. You dont keep the stuff you raided so hard togetm, some lvl 70 ganks you and its gone?

Good riddance what are the devs thinking I dont know... fools looks like they know about EQ and WoW  and my fav WAR thats the right way of doing it.

Comments

  • ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

    The open pvp servers on WOW are just as popular as the non PVP servers. Lineage 2 is open PVP and has millions of people playing it.

    So you don't seem to know what you are talking about.

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,711

    OP didn't articulate his post very well, however he seems to be railing against FFA, full loot, non-consensual PVP.

    Its true, those games aren't for everyone, and its been a long while since a good game has been released that had that sort of format.  However, the market changes, and perhaps folks are growing weary of their PVE level grinding games and starting to show some interest in something with a little more risk.

    But OP, why do you care?  What's the point of dragging out this same tired subject yet one more time and demanding that people play games the way you want them to? 

    EVE is a game with harsh penalties for dying, even in the PVE side of the game, yet we all seem to enjoy it.  (sux when the NPC's manage to kill the BS you worked so hard to outfit).  Last evening my corporation had a major battle with another and lost 80 ships... (mostly small ones fortunately) however we rolled out some Carriers and beat them back off..... painful, yes, wasn't pleasant to lose the resources, however it was a good fight and is what EVE is all about...defending your turf, (or trying to take someone else's from them)

     

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • PhosPhos Member Posts: 455

    PvP can be very successful when implemented intelligently. It just hasn't been done right ever since the days of pre-trammel UO and EQ1. Most MMOs after those two have lacked creativity as it comes to PvP in an immersive persistent RP world.

    Those games were FFA, full looting, and a whole lot more. They worked great and were the golden age of MMOs. Problem with griefers? No problem, implement a reputation system with rewards and consequences attached to it. There are lots of simple solutions that are tried and true rulesets that satisfy the PVPers as well as carebears and elitist guild l33t lootzers.

    - Phos

    imageAAH! A troll fire! Quick, pour some Kool-Aid on it!!!

  • ZAGANZAGAN Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by ghoul31


    The open pvp servers on WOW are just as popular as the non PVP servers. Lineage 2 is open PVP and has millions of people playing it.
    So you don't seem to know what you are talking about.



    you can wake up now. L2 has 2 million what ?.. you say people i say bots.

  • ShazzelShazzel Member Posts: 472

    Yea dunno whats with all the boting in games, its rampant in guild wars too. Would be in WoW but they get banned kinda fast.

  • JudgifyJudgify Member Posts: 10

    shadowbane had the right idea with a bad implementation.

    The problem is, some people prefer a more lightweight PvP system then a hardcore system. This is because most of the time alot of players dont have the free hours upon hours to focus on getting their gear/loot back that they lost when they were killed. So its basically a "you cant win them all" battle.

    However a more indepth PvP/seige system in current MMO's would go a long way. If you base a game around PvP first and PvE second instead of vice versa, i garuntee your staying power will last alot longer then your most recent MMO's.

  • DrenathDrenath Member UncommonPosts: 6

    Originally posted by Judgify


    shadowbane had the right idea with a bad implementation.
    The problem is, some people prefer a more lightweight PvP system then a hardcore system. This is because most of the time alot of players dont have the free hours upon hours to focus on getting their gear/loot back that they lost when they were killed. So its basically a "you cant win them all" battle.
    However a more indepth PvP/seige system in current MMO's would go a long way. If you base a game around PvP first and PvE second instead of vice versa, i garuntee your staying power will last alot longer then your most recent MMO's.
    The problem with this line of thought is that it takes less time to get yourself to level cap and gear/rune your character to be at least technically capable of fairing quite well in pvp (the player skill takes longer than other games imo but that's another point entirely) than it does in, say, WoW. I can log into SB (something I haven't done in a few months because I feel the game has been dumbed down and carebearized since the 2nd xpack) and be 70 inside a week without using any questionable practices or outside help to get me there. That's considering I work 40 hours a week and would only be able to dedicate an absolute maximum of 2 or 3 hours to the game per night. Give that another day to farm and you've got mid-range gear and runes to make yourself pvp-viable. Get a guild and within 2 days (with a guild that actually takes care of its' members) you'll be wearing 2nd tier, if not top tier, gear and sporting top of the line runes.

    WoW requires ~3 months for the average player with the same time investment as above, IF you know what you're doing. Even then it requires months of raiding and grinding honor to be even CLOSE to competitive with much of the population. Most heroics take an hour to three for an average run with 4+ hour runs (ie: Kara) not uncommon at all. All that just for the CHANCE to get one piece of gear you need.

     

    Just in terms of time required in the sense you're referring to, WoW and other pve-centric games (I don't care what blizz says, their pvp servers are just as carebear as anything else) take far longer to develop a character than do games like SB. Eve is a weird exception to that because it's a ffa system that has abhorrently slow progression.

    To the OP: quit complaining that some people like to play a game that you personally find too scary to take on. It's a very different playstyle from the safe, souldbound grindfest that is WoW and games of it's ilk and that's totally fine. Just accept that not everyone likes your kind of game and get over it.

    Drenath - House of Errants
    www.teamxgaming.org

  • OldAgeJunkieOldAgeJunkie Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by legolass11


    Because people dont like gettin killed over and over again.. whats the fun in that. You dont keep the stuff you raided so hard togetm, some lvl 70 ganks you and its gone?
    Good riddance what are the devs thinking I dont know... fools looks like they know about EQ and WoW  and my fav WAR thats the right way of doing it.

    Says the person with the name Legolass...lol stupid fanboy go back to you're cave.

    mmorpg's flop faster then mcdonalds cheese burgers these days.

  • Ben_GrayBen_Gray Member Posts: 17

    Originally posted by Kyleran


    OP didn't articulate his post very well, however he seems to be railing against FFA, full loot, non-consensual PVP.
    Its true, those games aren't for everyone, and its been a long while since a good game has been released that had that sort of format.  However, the market changes, and perhaps folks are growing weary of their PVE level grinding games and starting to show some interest in something with a little more risk.
    But OP, why do you care?  What's the point of dragging out this same tired subject yet one more time and demanding that people play games the way you want them to? 
    EVE is a game with harsh penalties for dying, even in the PVE side of the game, yet we all seem to enjoy it.  (sux when the NPC's manage to kill the BS you worked so hard to outfit).  Last evening my corporation had a major battle with another and lost 80 ships... (mostly small ones fortunately) however we rolled out some Carriers and beat them back off..... painful, yes, wasn't pleasant to lose the resources, however it was a good fight and is what EVE is all about...defending your turf, (or trying to take someone else's from them)
     

    I agree with you completely.

  • ndpunchndpunch Member Posts: 208

    OP is a WoW fanboi, therefore we all should feel pity towards him because of his obvious mental ilness, not hatred

  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

    What do you bet the chances are that the OP was ganked and looted just moments before writing this post?

  • Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684

    Actually the reason why SB failed because of its FFA PvP system is a MYTH.

    SB failed because of major bugs that it had when it launched that simply killed the game. Devs and patchers couldnt keep up with the bad CS and it just snowballed from there. In fact, SB had a fairly large number of players during release, and they touted it as an FFA PvP game...so no, PvP games do not fail.

  • MaximosMaximos Member UncommonPosts: 80

    In its day Shadowbane was a decent game and had a lot of people. No, the game wasn't/isn't for everyone.  The city building and ability to design ways to defend it was a great thing.  The politics in the game, if that's your thing, was just as deep.  But there were some large problems during its hay day.  LAG could be horrible in large fights. And it wasn't something that was resolved till the game was on its down swing.

    Character customization in way of how you build your character was absolutely great.  The UI and movement in the game was not great and alot of people couldn't get past it.  It doesn't compare to a game like wow but its not the same generation of game. so wouldn't expect it too.

  • edgaloredgalor Member Posts: 35

    it's not that pvp games = fail... you can't say pvp games will fail because of  one game.

    SB at the begining is very fun to play with even with its ffa open pvp thing. Yet its system is failing now because

    1. there aren't enough players to fit the land mass in SB to counter  the griefer and gankers. the game orginally planned that there will always be peoople to protect the low levels

    2. there is no alignment system in SB, which makes ganking low levels or other players easy since there is no down side.

    I personally love how SB was when it just came out, but when the population drops, there just aren't any players left to maintain the outlaws.

    One thing I suggest if you play SB, find a group and always stick with it. it is very fun to have a scout or something (forgot) in your group and warn you whenever there are people in your radar,  makes hunting and pvping very intense. SB doesn't force you to group and party, but the players in the game makes it this way.

    and i know how painful and annoying it is to go to an empty city to train but get ganked for the money you are carrying.

  • Donovan85Donovan85 Member Posts: 13

    op doesnt know what his talking about

     

    probly should have done more research about the other games before complaining in the forms

Sign In or Register to comment.