Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What RuneScape is being UNFAIRLY accused of.

2»

Comments

• DubonEngevenDubonEngeven Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by M-Toe

Runescape feels like an introduction to MMORPGs, to me.  It shows you all of the basics, and how everything works, at it's most basic form (combat for example).
    The ability to be an expert combatant, mage, and archer all at the same time is like playing rock, paper, scissors.  It's just too plain, and that is why i think it loses the attention of the PvP gamers.  Well, that and the fact that you have to be in "the wilderness" to do anything against another player.
    The only reason, i think, that the economy of runescape isn't totally messed up, is that the people who are playing this game are too lazy to get their skills to 99 to make full rune, or a dragonstone necklace, and that the ones who are able to do that are members and have full dragon, so they don't need to make anything for funds.
    To be more on topic; i completely agree with you, Nazaros.  You can't compare Runescape to World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, or even Conquer online.  Each one of these games has a different target.  It has nothing to do with what language the code is in, or weather it is 3D or not. 
    Look at World of Warcraft.  World of Warcraft is with out a doubt in my mind, the most popular MMORPG in existance as of right now.  Who does it target?  People who are old enough to pay for it (16-18+).  I'm not saying there aren't little 10 year olds begging their parents for money, I'm just saying, that is who WoW targets.  And it does it's job very effectively (not that you didn't know that)  with the endless ammount of quests, the numerous zones.  I would state something about it's PvP, but i haven't played WoW enough. 
    Now look at LotRO.  It has no PvP, a very beautiful realistic (fictional, though it may be) landscape, and again the insane quantity of quests, and the Book quests.  Who do you think this is targetting?  LotRO fanbois?  Well, yes, but that isn't the only demographic.  The more mature, more prone to RP, fan base is going to be more attracted to this game.  You can't RP very well while someone is hacking away at you. 
    Now, back to runescape.  Who is it targetting? Lets make our equation.  It has a very, very simple user interface.  I mean, a three year old can find their way around that.  The very calm, serene textures.  More pleasing to the 5 year old eye?  Look at blues clues, or teletubbies.  There isn't much action goin' on in the grass (is it even grass or just a green.. layer?).  I'm not saying that runescape has the graphics it has, because of the limits of Java, i'm saying that it was meant to be like this.  Another variable; the system requirements.  What, 32 mb of ram, a p2, no hard drive space required?   This seems like a reasonable computer for a child, don't you think?  membership fee: 5$ a month.  Common, who doesn't buy toys for their toddlers? do you think five dollars is far off the cost of toys?  The quests hold your hand, and the "newbie island" is an insult to anyone who has ever played an MMO.  No, close your mouth, don't hit quote, just read.  I know most games have some form of "newbie island", but they don't hold your hand like this one does.  Sure, LotRO has the whole snow thing, but it isn't teaching you how to click a tree to chop it down.. 
    Now let's look at our equation.  simple UI + calm textures + low system requirements +low monthly fee(optional) = our target.  Now solve for x.  Do you honestly think this game is for anyone over 18?  It had it's time.  We all played it and loved it, but just because you realize what a waste of time it seemed like doesn't mean that you have to flame the crap out of it.  If you didn't play it, then you have no business critiqueing it, so GTFO MF.

I agree with all of this, there really isn't a reason to flame it, and the game really is too basic for more advanced gamers to enjoy.

But as many say it is a good MMO for a younger Audience to be aquainted with as a first MMO.

• LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234

Today Jagex released a "development diary" that reveals how they make their music. The music is written by two guys who have degrees in music technology and used to be in rock bands, and the music is created using highly advanced computers. They have a sound bank with 128 different instrument sounds and 58 different drum sets.

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.
    Currently playing: RuneScape, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.

• JonnyHelfireJonnyHelfire Member Posts: 125

Originally posted by Llamster

Everyone knows that Runescape has bad graphics. Everyone says that Runescape has bad music. Personally, I think that is simply ridiculous!! Though it's not incredible, it's quite decent. It might have been pretty bad before, but after they improved it a few months ago it is now easily comparable to "better" MMOs. Once, I carefully listened to one song and found it was quite complex, with at least 4 or 5 instruments, including brass, string, and percussion. They're also kinda catchy. I'm pretty sure that people are biased because other parts of Runescape suck when they say the music is horrible.
    depends what kind of music your into and look at rap its popular, but sometimes the only instrument they use is a DJ thingamajig, but of course most people today like either rap, pop, rock, metal, and any combination of the 4 i just mentioned (im into metal) and there comes out the idea that runescapes music sucks, it all depends on who you ask, but i personally think it sucks too since i like vocals and words that electrify the soul. I personally play electric guitar and i personally dont like the music i play very much but if i add words to it (i have my cousin sing sometimes while i play) it seems soo much better.

anyway my guitar is a ibanez xj something with a whole bunch of numbers i cant memorize but you get the point

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167
    Originally posted by JonnyHelfire

Everyone knows that Runescape has bad graphics. Everyone says that Runescape has bad music. Personally, I think that is simply ridiculous!! Though it's not incredible, it's quite decent. It might have been pretty bad before, but after they improved it a few months ago it is now easily comparable to "better" MMOs. Once, I carefully listened to one song and found it was quite complex, with at least 4 or 5 instruments, including brass, string, and percussion. They're also kinda catchy. I'm pretty sure that people are biased because other parts of Runescape suck when they say the music is horrible.
    depends what kind of music your into and look at rap its popular, but sometimes the only instrument they use is a DJ thingamajig, but of course most people today like either rap, pop, rock, metal, and any combination of the 4 i just mentioned (im into metal) and there comes out the idea that runescapes music sucks, it all depends on who you ask, but i personally think it sucks too since i like vocals and words that electrify the soul. I personally play electric guitar and i personally dont like the music i play very much but if i add words to it (i have my cousin sing sometimes while i play) it seems soo much better.

anyway my guitar is a ibanez xj something with a whole bunch of numbers i cant memorize but you get the point

Well you cant really expect metal music on runescape you? Btw yes i also listen to metal im just saying that they do music to fit with the theme of the town etc

?

• JonnyHelfireJonnyHelfire Member Posts: 125

Originally posted by AkaJetson

Originally posted by JonnyHelfire

Well you cant really expect metal music on runescape you? Btw yes i also listen to metal im just saying that they do music to fit with the theme of the town etc

Yea I know, but I was trying to bring the often overlooked point that there is no sucky or crappy music it all depends on your taste of music, for example classical music is really hated these days, but back a couple hundred years ago it was either that, folk music, or gospel and people still listened to it because they grew up with it, but now looking at Runescape's music its probably not going to be deemed good for the following reasons to keep it more short and specific of what I said up until now.

1. No words, these days words are the most important part of the song.

2. No one grew up listening to that type of music so when someone hears it he will think its a taste of hell. Usually.

3. We have a gift called Windows Media Player, thus eliminating the need to add songs to Runescape, but I have no idea why they added songs in the first play. Gaming companies these days hire a guitarist from some famous band to record the music or they buy the rights to use some of the popular songs already made by famous artists of course I would hate going through the trouble to do that.

Well enough of that I think you get my point.

• gman2100gman2100 Member Posts: 94

Im going to guess that this is the only mmo you have ever played.  Play a mainstream mmo and I guarentee you will be editing this post.  Runescape is not comparable to the good mmos AT ALL.  Its fantastic for a java based game, but you cant even call it comparable to real mmos.

Runescape has bad quests.  Runescape has bad music.  Runescape has no main storyline.  Runescape has terrible combat.  Must I go on?

And dont think Im someone who played the game for 10 minutes and then made this post.  I played for a good 6 months on free/member.  Then I played a real mmo and realized what I was missing.  I advise you do the same.

edit: And one more thing, Runescape has the worst community known to the mmo world.  Its terrible.  All you runescape fanboys need to try out a real mmo and realize what your missing.

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167
    Originally posted by gman2100

Im going to guess that this is the only mmo you have ever played.  Play a mainstream mmo and I guarentee you will be editing this post.  Runescape is not comparable to the good mmos AT ALL.  Its fantastic for a java based game, but you cant even call it comparable to real mmos.

Runescape has bad quests.  Runescape has bad music.  Runescape has no main storyline.  Runescape has terrible combat.  Must I go on?

And dont think Im someone who played the game for 10 minutes and then made this post.  I played for a good 6 months on free/member.  Then I played a real mmo and realized what I was missing.  I advise you do the same.

edit: And one more thing, Runescape has the worst community known to the mmo world.  Its terrible.  All you runescape fanboys need to try out a real mmo and realize what your missing.

What you just said has barely nothing to do with what you quoted.

Llamster was talking about the music and your talking about the whole of the game, meanwhile half of it is lies.

?

• LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234

Originally posted by gman2100

You played Runescape for six months and say that the quests are bad, especially compared to "mainstream" MMOs. Have you been eating cattle lately, 'cause you're spitting out bull.

And as AkaJetson said, this thread is about Runescape's music, not the other aspects.

P.S. I have played other MMOs, all of which are considered better than Runescape.

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.
    Currently playing: RuneScape, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

Everyone knows that Runescape has bad graphics. Everyone says that Runescape has bad music. This, in my opinion, is a very biased statement. While Runescape's music, as of now, is not quite as good as that of mainstream MMORPGs, it is at the very least comparable to them. Some of you who shed the music in a negative light may have been correct a year ago, but a while ago Runescape's music was greatly improved. I would ask that, before you post, please log on to Runescape, turn on your speakers, and listen for about 10 seconds.
    Runescape's music has many different instruments playing within each song. The sounds come from a massive digital sound bank that recorded its sound from several staff members of Jagex dedicated to Runescape's sound, each one with degrees in music and decades of experience. The songs are also well-composed and very catchy, which may make up for its slightly lesser quality.
    IF YOU HAVE NOT LOGGED ON TO RUNESCAPE SINCE MARCH 31, 2007, YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO POST.

RuneScape has more feature then any other MMO out there. I mean come on, you can have your own farm in that game hehe!

However, not sure I can still play more then 15 minutes a shot when I do. Reason that I have a level 26 character after more then 5 years hehe.

As for the music, I don't know.. it's ok but it's not tripple A quality. It's decent and fits the cheesy mood :)

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

the music is awful lmao.. I couldn;t stand to listen to that junk like ever.. most elevators play better music than that these days. But then again  I haven;t heard hatebreed in an elevator either. I like my metal hard and fast like my gameplay so no wonder I am sick of runescapes slow game speed, slow music, and SLOW customer service. This day and age you would think things would be abit faster =x.  I mean you would think you were playing pong or something with the gamespeed on trying to mine a rock on that game .. that is not challenging .. it is BORING.

• RyfelwrRyfelwr Member Posts: 5

Don't really care about the music.  I turn the sounds off anyway.  Graphics are average, but ok.

• RaitsesmanRaitsesman Member UncommonPosts: 215

Must agree with devil. Toooooo slow