Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Checked out the trial..

Like I had mentioned in another post that I was interested in..

I wasn't really into it. I probably played for about 45 minutes and it just wasn't catching on to me at all. The gameplay isn't what I was hoping it would be, the graphics didn't look as good as from what I had heard, and so forth. I've still got like 5 days left on it, so I might give it another shot, but it just doesn't appear like it's the one for me.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by CanesFan311

I wasn't really into it. I probably played for about 45 minutes and it just wasn't catching on to me at all. The gameplay isn't what I was hoping it would be, the graphics didn't look as good as from what I had heard, and so forth. I've still got like 5 days left on it, so I might give it another shot, but it just doesn't appear like it's the one for me.

Well, I imagine that you are in the dwarf starting area? This is not one of the best areas in the game. In order to experience the game in a better light, you need to move on past the new player areas. Also, you really need a decent computer to really appreciate the better textures/graphics. The game play is more story driven and very quest driven. If you actually start the main storyline you might get a better idea as to how the game propels itself. I can't say that every quest is genius but there have been quite a few that have been fun. I personally liked playing a guardian over my initial champion so part of it might also be class choice.

However, you really need to get past the new player area. To be honest, the game doesn't really start opening up until about lvl 18 or so. Not great but there it is. Also, when in combat and in a group, there are group "moves" that can be done that really add a bit of depth to combat. Most people pick the red option or "damage" but it is actually a lot more intricate than that. (with options that should be picked in a specific order).

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AckbarNLAckbarNL Member Posts: 458

So you played the game for 45 min?

Ok then your opinion receives 0.00 creditability from me whatsoever...

Playing: World of Warcraft.
    Played: Lord of the Rings Online, Starwars Galaxies.
    Tried: Starwars the Old Republic, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Aion.

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

I wasn't really into it. I probably played for about 45 minutes and it just wasn't catching on to me at all.
    I think it took me more than 45 minutes to adjust my settings and learn to navigate through the different UI features. Honestly, I couldn't have told you anything about the game after 45 minutes.

Perhaps, if you gave it a little more time, it could impress you at level 2.

• Masta22Masta22 Member Posts: 298

yeh really you have to play it longer than 45 mins. You should level to at least lv 15.And if you have picked the dwarf starter area, then start a hobbit or a man character.  To truely appreciate the graphics you need to see the shire and breeland.

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

Are the high-resolution graphics available with the trial client? I'd heard that they weren't, but that was just from another poster on the forum here, so who knows. If they're not, though, that'd be a big part of why the graphics don't seem as impressive as they could. Running at Ultra High with a resolution of 1680 x 1050, the game seems visually impressive to me.

EDIT: I posted a screenshot of my character in the gallery section. If you click on it and select the option to view it in full-screen, that's what the game looks like when I'm playing it. The only alteration I made for the photo was turning the UI off. And, for the sake of reference, it was taken in DX9 rather than DX10, so the shadows aren't as impressive as they could be, either. If your game looks the same and you don't think the graphics are good...I just don't know what to say.

www.mmorpg.com/photo/51e2bd6c-29df-412e-9469-99885c2e818f

• Masta22Masta22 Member Posts: 298

no high resolution texttures are not available with the trial client. You need to buy the game retail for that. But I have no clue if theres any way to download the high resolution textures seperately.

• OrihuelaOrihuela Member Posts: 115

Originally posted by Masta22

no high resolution texttures are not available with the trial client. You need to buy the game retail for that. But I have no clue if theres any way to download the high resolution textures seperately.
    http://www.lotro.com/trial/?utm_source=IGNITE_MMORPG&utm_medium=LB&utm_campaign=FreeTrial

You can download both clients.

If you have the game installed and you don't know what kind of client do you have, you have to look at Video Options > Texture Detail > Very High. If you don't have the "Very High" option, you have to donwload the High Res client. (Another way: check if you have the file client_highres.dat in the game folder).

• CanesFan311CanesFan311 Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by sandage

Thats fine with me, because I wasn't asking for your approval. But thanks for your concern.

Like I said, it was my first gut reaction, and I just wasn't feeling it. Still got some time left, just haven't had the urge to push myself to log on again. I might do it again tonight and check it out.

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

Originally posted by sandage

Thats fine with me, because I wasn't asking for your approval. But thanks for your concern.

Like I said, it was my first gut reaction, and I just wasn't feeling it. Still got some time left, just haven't had the urge to push myself to log on again. I might do it again tonight and check it out.

I didn't really "feel it" either when I started playing. Limited character customization options, simplistic combat and even simpler crafting made a poor first impression. I actually went back to Vanguard after a day or two, and only returned to LoTRO when VG's bugs became too much to bear. But I'm glad I did because LoTRO turned out to be one of the best MMOs I've played.  It's certainly a WoWalike in many respects, but not - thankfully - where the community is concerned. And while the graphics style may not be to everyone's taste, the attention to detail really brings the world of Middle Earth alive and leaves many more detailed gameworlds looking sterile and lifeless by comparison. I hope you stick with it and if you do, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the last few months.

• virtuellavirtuella Member UncommonPosts: 699

LOTRO is my 18th mmorpg and most of them needed some time to kick in.

Off course UO and EQ I back in 97/99 were two eyeopeners but since that it's hard to be impressed the first time you log in.

I played since January or February and at times i'm boored but that's why i bought a lifetimeaccount at release.Then i can play when i feel like it and not have to worry about payment/missed value for the money.

Give it some time,get into a good guild and then try out some of the interesting instances such as Weathertop or the firrst great barrows instance at lower 20's.

DO NOT go into those instances with 50's just to race you through the instances but go there with a group that is suited for it and you will have so much more fun.

That might change you whole point of view.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Going to check out the trial and test Lotro out. One question though, if I decide to buy the game what servers are best to play on ? I don't roleplay at all so just keep that in mind. I just would like a good active server to play on. Thanks !

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Yeah, I'm downloading the trial again also. Had the same knee jerk reaction the first time (dwarf starting area) but I'll give much more notice to comunity and enviroment this time.

• FurrbawlFurrbawl Member Posts: 95

I have played since Alpha 2, and never really cared for the Dwarf/Elf starting area. My favorite is the Hobbit starting area - The Shire. IMO, the quests here are more ballanced, easier to solo and the environment is nicely done.

As far as servers, depends on whether you are US or EU. For US servers, I can recommend Gladden (my main playing server) or Silverlode (where I play from time to time with friends). Both are active, friendly communities. I tried Brandywine too at first, but at launch, it was one of the most crowded servers due to name recognition.

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
    J. R. R. Tolkien

• RuthgarRuthgar Member Posts: 730

LOTRO shines in when you are grouped, and like others stated, try the Barrows instance.

If I play another other than a Hobbit, I head to the Shire and level there. It really gives you a good idea of what LOTRO is like.

If you aren't in a good kinship (Guild) and don't group (fellowship), you won't get the most out of the game.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by SLI2000

it sucks plain and simple

Could you elaborate please? A simple "it sucks" just does not suffice...lets hear more of "why" it sucks..

My opinions are as follows...

Less than satisfactory class selection

Amazing landscapes, but ugly character models

Jerky animations, or poorly done animations

Does not work well with ALL systems (some have stuttering issues...this is per my testing on several different varieties of systems in house and at friends homes)

Shallow crafting that just does not seem to satisfy

Too many quests with not enough down time diversions so you can enjoy other aspects of gameplay

Music in game is hit or miss as well as sound effects (but, the games music system is slightly fun for a bit)

There, try that, and you may have better luck getting your point across...

Later

• jsw40jsw40 Member Posts: 214

I actually felt the same way as the OP when I fired this game up for the first time. I don't have specific reasons why I felt the urge to log off nearly an hour after I logged on, but the game just kind of bored me to death.

It felt like I was playing a really basic and watered down WoW that was 10x as linear. This may not be the case, but that was certainly my impression. Add in the fact that I've never found the Tolkien universe very interesting, and the game just didn't toot my horn.

I don't blame the OP; I sympathize with him. This game just doesn't cut the mustard for some people.

• MaldachMaldach Member Posts: 399

I tried the game in open beta and it failed to grab me as well. I downloaded the trial this weekend and I'm enjoying it. Maybe I expected too much from it initially. Overall, I'm having a good time. The FedEx quests are beyond bad. At one point in the Man starting area, I completely gave up reading the quests. I was being bounced around the hobbits like a pinball with all of the run around do nothing quests.

Play it for no other reason than to say Man Minstrel. Man Burglar is good too

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Originally posted by openedge1

Originally posted by SLI2000

it sucks plain and simple

Could you elaborate please? A simple "it sucks" just does not suffice...lets hear more of "why" it sucks..

My opinions are as follows...

Less than satisfactory class selection

Amazing landscapes, but ugly character models

Jerky animations, or poorly done animations

Does not work well with ALL systems (some have stuttering issues...this is per my testing on several different varieties of systems in house and at friends homes)

Shallow crafting that just does not seem to satisfy

Too many quests with not enough down time diversions so you can enjoy other aspects of gameplay

Music in game is hit or miss as well as sound effects (but, the games music system is slightly fun for a bit)

There, try that, and you may have better luck getting your point across...

Later

It is also not enough to plainly say EQ2 sucks

You must elaborate:

Character models look like made of shiny plastic

Everything looks like coated in shiny plastic

Character models were so ugly they actually had to have all models completely redone (which improved some but messed the rest)

EQ2 landscapes look as bland as Meridian59

EQ2 was released in 2004 yet 2008 PC's have trouble running it at high settings

If you run EQ2 in high settings you see the game was released 2004

If you run EQ2 in optimal settings the game looks like Meridian59

The game designers thought realism means placing a monster every 10 meters , equally spread on landscape

EQ2 is a ghost town

EQ2 main designer just left SOE

EQ1 is actually much better game than EQ2

Should i go on dear Openedge1

Please go back to EQ2 forums if you like that game , there is no reason for you to troll LOTRO forums

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

the game didn't really catch my attention either, i don't believe i should have to play into higher levels to find the fun of the game, a game should catch your attention right away and keep that attention later on.  I really have no complaints other then that, they have done a great job so far i think otherwise, i just don't  play it for my reasons.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Originally posted by Scalebane

the game didn't really catch my attention either, i don't believe i should have to play into higher levels to find the fun of the game, a game should catch your attention right away and keep that attention later on.  I really have no complaints other then that, they have done a great job so far i think otherwise, i just don't  play it for my reasons.
    Exactly, I realy cringe away from having to work to be able to have fun, IN A GAME, fun should be first and then, only then should you have an option to work for something above and beyond. I believe there is far less people who play games to feel like they are working rather than having fun.

If you have to look for fun, it's also a wrong aproach. What is fun? Well, that's the question, isn't it?!

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

I'm a bit confused by the statement that LotRO requires you to "play into higher levels to find the fun of the game." That's precisely what the game does not do. Endgame pvmp and raiding are just side attractions, not the main objectives. Now, if you didn't find the game fun in the beginning for gameplay reasons, that's a perfectly valid feeling; not every game is for every player. This is very much a "journey" game rather than a "destination" game, though. The raids and pvmp are largely there so you'll have something to do at the level cap until the next chapter is released, not  to serve as the primary goals for the game or as big, gleaming rewards for "working" your way through the earlier levels.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Jenuviel

I'm a bit confused by the statement that LotRO requires you to "play into higher levels to find the fun of the game." That's precisely what the game does not do. Endgame pvmp and raiding are just side attractions, not the main objectives. Now, if you didn't find the game fun in the beginning for gameplay reasons, that's a perfectly valid feeling; not every game is for every player. This is very much a "journey" game rather than a "destination" game, though. The raids and pvmp are largely there so you'll have something to do at the level cap until the next chapter is released, not  to serve as the primary goals for the game or as big, gleaming rewards for "working" your way through the earlier levels.
    I agree.

As I got to the higher levels...I had less and less fun as I progressed...so, yes, and odd statement..

Later

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

I also agree that more than most MMOs out there... LoTRo is about the journey.  The fun does not "start" at level 50 for this game.  There are plenty of things you can still do once you reach level 50 with a character, but they are not always the same things that you may have enjoyed on the journey to get there.

If your character is in it's 30s and you are struggling to find "fun" in LoTRo; then it's probably a safe assumption that LoTRo is not the game for you.  No big deal, there are plenty of other MMOs to try out.  It's not like you'll need to go on a life-long crusade to figure out why you don't like the game... well, at least not for the vast majority of gamers. 

The longer I've been playing MMOs the more astounded I am by players who struggle to find fun in playing games.   If it seems like work... don't play it.  If it seems boring... don't play it.  Perhaps if gamers didn't "work" so hard to find fun (just let it come naturally... or move on); there would be a lot less disgruntled gamers.

LoTRo is a great game for many gamers (I'm one of them!)... but by no means will it be "THE GAME" for everyone.  Try it... play it if you like it... if not... oh well; there are more games out there.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

Originally posted by dragonace

I also agree that more than most MMOs out there... LoTRo is about the journey.  The fun does not "start" at level 50 for this game.  There are plenty of things you can still do once you reach level 50 with a character, but they are not always the same things that you may have enjoyed on the journey to get there.

If your character is in it's 30s and you are struggling to find "fun" in LoTRo; then it's probably a safe assumption that LoTRo is not the game for you.  No big deal, there are plenty of other MMOs to try out.  It's not like you'll need to go on a life-long crusade to figure out why you don't like the game... well, at least not for the vast majority of gamers. 

The longer I've been playing MMOs the more astounded I am by players who struggle to find fun in playing games.   If it seems like work... don't play it.  If it seems boring... don't play it.  Perhaps if gamers didn't "work" so hard to find fun (just let it come naturally... or move on); there would be a lot less disgruntled gamers.

LoTRo is a great game for many gamers (I'm one of them!)... but by no means will it be "THE GAME" for everyone.  Try it... play it if you like it... if not... oh well; there are more games out there.

Exactly, this is both the strength and the weakness of the game.

The journey to level 50 is nice, for those who enjoy the style of gameplay.  LOTRo, the fight in the middle earth is there, right from level 1 (tutorial), and the story starts differently for each race, which, exactly is the situation for the good races in middle earth.

So the immersion starts, from level 1, and very soon after tutorial (usually level 5-6) the epic prelude continues (usually around level 10 or lower, depending on the amount of side missions you do).  The storyline for each race is still totally different reflecting the different situation facing each race, till book 1 of the epic, where the races head out to Bree.  From there we will enjoy a full story about fighting back the dark side.  I find it more and more entertaining as I enter bk3 and 4.  Book 4 is getting intense, bk 5 you get to fight the Nazgul, and got a glimse at a 170k hp dragon, oh what a day it was when we first took down the Nazgul, great stuffs.  Bk 8 was once a big accomplishment (well before a certain patch you have to fight through a big instance just to get to the final quest of bk8).  Up till end of Bk8, I would say, I have yet to play an epic line of quest with as much fun in another game.

That is where the weakness of LOTRo (to me) also comes in.  Way before end of bk8, you should be level 50, unless you are powerlevelled through the quests.  Few ppl will start bk8 before level 50, who wants to do Carn Dum at lvl 46 (back in our days before the easy version with patch whatever)?  Ok after level 50 and after bk8, the rest becomes anti-climax.  Yes there is still helegrod to explore, the new map ... but then the intensity of bk4-8 is there no more, for me at least.  The game is still very beautiful, but the magic fades away.

Some people here talks about the music.  Oh that I have a strong opinion.  Try zone into the Shire.  If you love the LOTRo lore like I do, you will feeeeeeeel about the shire right away with the lovely tunes.  Its a very beautiful place to be in, just to walk around and enjoy the area.  Try the Misty Mountain.  There is enough music to enjoy for a while, till, as always, all music becomes boring with endless replaying.

Enough rants, enough.  LOTRo is for me a great game for a while, till it lasts.  It does not last as long as some other games, but while it last, its worth every penny and every moment I spent.  And more.

• LiquidvisonLiquidvison Member Posts: 112

i wish i would of tried the trial on this game first lol but didnt, now i got a lotr box that collects dust casue it wasnt worth the cash