Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Ron Paul Supporters March on WoW

Comments

• imershonimershon Member UncommonPosts: 73

I agree with the other posters - keep this political and other real world garbage out of the realms where people PAY to go to enjoy themselves.  This could easily spiral out of control if this precedent is not quashed by blizzard gm's  and make other alternative mmo's more appealing.  At the very least flag them all pvp! and let the subscribers deal with them.

DEFINITION OF REALITY: Graphics ok, Sound ok, Gold drops need more work...

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927

Im surprised theres so much opposition to this. Sounds like a lot of fun and not much if any harm.

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Ah, you crazy Americans! 

• swaindaddyswaindaddy Member Posts: 155

Don't you have to be 18 to vote? Seems like they would be missing their demographic here.

• swaindaddyswaindaddy Member Posts: 155
    Originally posted by qombi

Originally posted by Jetrpg

Originally posted by Szark

WoW Insider is reporting that supporters of  Republican Presidential Candidate Ron Paul will be staging a march in support of their candidate on World of Warcraft's Whisperwind server.

Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul's internet regiment has come to World of Warcraft-- a group of his supporters are planning to form a guild on Whisperwind and do a march from IF to Stormwind (which means they'll probably be Gnomes or Dwarves, which is too bad, because I liked the idea of "Trolls for Ron Paul") on New Year's Day at 8:30pm EST.

Now, we here at WoW Insider are politically neutral when it comes to Warcraft, so we won't advocate joining these guys (and we also won't advocate forming a "Horde for Hillary" guild to oppose them). But we are 100% in support of bringing widescale opinion expression of any kind into the game itself, so this should definitely be a fun event.

Read more here.

ITs cool Ron Paul has 0% chance of being elected and this should move him an entire -1% in the polls.

Sadly he is the only one also worth a hill of beans in all parties.

Great sense of humor.

• ghaleonx128ghaleonx128 Member Posts: 145

Marches of any kind are fun, so I don't get what the big deal is.  Mmorpg's should have change and large social gatherings, it's what keeps it fun - so stop complaining :P  If you want your "relative peace" turn off your public chat and go sit in Darnassus, or just logout of WoW for a whole day if it's such a big deal. 

Seeing how this could just be free publicity for WoW, I wonder how much they would do to stop it. 

• WispyWispy Member UncommonPosts: 51

Once all those level 6 gnomes hit Burning Steppes, they'll have a pretty good foretaste of what their experience during the election is going to be like.

• sunjenkweisunjenkwei Member Posts: 133

Originally posted by jinxit

everyone go get there level 70 horde toons and lets go killum   
    YEAH!

But I'm not on that server...

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by ghaleonx128

Marches of any kind are fun, so I don't get what the big deal is.  Mmorpg's should have change and large social gatherings, it's what keeps it fun - so stop complaining :P  If you want your "relative peace" turn off your public chat and go sit in Darnassus, or just logout of WoW for a whole day if it's such a big deal. 
    Seeing how this could just be free publicity for WoW, I wonder how much they would do to stop it. 
    Ever heard of the death march? Not fun. I hope Blizzard does stop this because it goes against the EULA and personally many people in these MMO's get on to get away from reality for some fun entertainment and do not want to go around seeing political rallies within their game worlds.

It's total BS if they leave this go on and not do anything about it. Like many other posters here they disagree to having this go on in game.

• PietoroPietoro Member Posts: 162

This sort of 'event' is something I'd expect to see in Second Life, instead of in WoW.

• lilune666lilune666 Member Posts: 129

Either way, they'll have to finally start making those big decisions they've been avoiding like the plague for so long.  Is the publicity worth the backlash?  In an international game like this, how legaly secure could the eula possibly be, anyway?  This is really interesting though!

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

Ron Paul "What?? I thought you could make a Troll Mohawk, Mister T. said it!"

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

Originally posted by Jetrpg
    ITs cool Ron Paul has 0% chance of being elected and this should move him an entire -1% in the polls.

Um no, actually it's leading in the straw polls even against Romney. Effectively, you're buying into what the Media is telling you and not what is actually going on. It's sad that you listen to talking heads and not to what's has been said.

-- Brede

• DvsclarityDvsclarity Member Posts: 21

Do they not understand they are just making a great GOP candidate look bad?

If anymore things come up about Ron Paul being related to WoW I'm going to have to remove the Ron Paul 2008 sign from my yard.

• sewashsewash Member UncommonPosts: 60

I am a Ron Paul supporter - and I am glad to hear this in only the sense of it representing more Ron Paul supporters - but for the love of all that is good - Stop This Moronic idea, you are only giving the media fuel for mockery, derision and scorn 

For the  Ron Paul campaign to be a success, he needs the respect and admiration of the mainstream media and populace -  stunts like this will only chip away at his chances, because like it or not you will not be taken seriously prefacing any political opinion with, effectively, "I am a WoW player and I support.."

I am not saying you can't play WoW and have well informed political standings so no flame war necessary- I am saying be practical, look from a bigger perspective, one of not how things should be in your mind but how things are.  To beat the political good ol boy network and their following sheep at their game, we need to play the game their way and win - and the 'game' involved here is not an online MMO. Don't give them ammunition to belittle the movements for change, because mainstream media and candidates can and will do so. Swallow your pride and keep you political voices where they 'belong' (again, my use of this word is subjective, but factual at this time)

• Reborn17Reborn17 Member Posts: 414

Originally posted by sewash

I am a Ron Paul supporter - and I am glad to hear this in only the sense of it representing more Ron Paul supporters - but for the love of all that is good - Stop This Moronic idea, you are only giving the media fuel for mockery, derision and scorn 
    For the  Ron Paul campaign to be a success, he needs the respect and admiration of the mainstream media and populace -  stunts like this will only chip away at his chances, because like it or not you will not be taken seriously prefacing any political opinion with, effectively, "I am a WoW player and I support.."
    I am not saying you can't play WoW and have well informed political standings so no flame war necessary- I am saying be practical, look from a bigger perspective, one of not how things should be in your mind but how things are.  To beat the political good ol boy network and their following sheep at their game, we need to play the game their way and win - and the 'game' involved here is not an online MMO. Don't give them ammunition to belittle the movements for change, because mainstream media and candidates can and will do so. Swallow your pride and keep you political voices where they 'belong' (again, my use of this word is subjective, but factual at this time)

Its not that serious I assure you. Ron Paul will not fly or fall on the actions of a few on a server in a video game. If a person doesn't have enough sense to appreciate what Ron Paul has to say on his own merits then it is their own stupidity or spiritual blindness that is the issue. I have no issue with this display, I appreciate and applaud it, my problem comes from the mindless numbnutz that fear the destruction of their gameplay experience more than the destruction of their country. People like that don't deserve freedom. Our founding fathers are corkscrewing in their graves.

"In order that the masses themselves may not guess what they are about  we will further distract them with amusements, games, pastimes, passions, people's palaces...Soon we shall begin with the press to propose competitions in art, in sport of all kinds; these interestswill finally distract their minds from questions in which we found ourselves compelled to oppose them."

- William Cooper from his book Behold a Pale Horse,cptr 15 Protocols of the Wise Men of Zion,pg 303

"The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion." -Edmund Burke

Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?"
    (Psalm 94:16)

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

It's just a symptom that the bread and circuses don't matter anymore. If people don't take back their lives, they might as well hug the chains of their masters. I guess the fact that I don't watch television anymore means I'm "off the plantation."

-- Brede

• DhaemanDhaeman Member Posts: 531

Amusing but I really don't care. Real life invaded video games and MMORPGs long before Ron Paul...

I don't feel any more immersed in a universe where spiders drop swords and my character's motivation for living is to kill the same bosses (aren't they dead already??) over and over for an epic weapon that everybody else already has.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Reborn17

Originally posted by sewash

Its not that serious I assure you. Ron Paul will not fly or fall on the actions of a few on a server in a video game. If a person doesn't have enough sense to appreciate what Ron Paul has to say on his own merits then it is their own stupidity or spiritual blindness that is the issue. I have no issue with this display, I appreciate and applaud it, my problem comes from the mindless numbnutz that fear the destruction of their gameplay experience more than the destruction of their country. People like that don't deserve freedom. Our founding fathers are corkscrewing in their graves.

"In order that the masses themselves may not guess what they are about  we will further distract them with amusements, games, pastimes, passions, people's palaces...Soon we shall begin with the press to propose competitions in art, in sport of all kinds; these interestswill finally distract their minds from questions in which we found ourselves compelled to oppose them."

- William Cooper from his book Behold a Pale Horse,cptr 15 Protocols of the Wise Men of Zion,pg 303

Reborn your the numbnutz. Just because someone doesnt want real world polotics in there game is no reason to assume they dont give a crap what happens to there country. Thinking that is simply idiotic. ITS A FREAKING GAME. Real world does not belong in GAMES. I play a fantasy GAME because I want to get away from the real world once in a while. Hell I even took issue seeing Christian guild spam in games. Like someone else said....what about thoes people that dont even live in the USA. Why should they have to deal with crap involving USA polotics?

Even more I laugh at your quote. With your (rather uninformed) logic and that quote why are you even on these forums? The people I worry about are people like you, who cant understand the diffrence between entertainment and religion/politics. People play games, Watch movies, Watch sports ect because they enjoy them and in most cases use them as stress relief from the real world. That is my issue with bringing the real world into games.

• CroseCrose Member Posts: 209

I don't see why people are so upset about this.  Ron Paul isn't going to be President, anyways.  He supports the constitution, and often expresses political ideals that would benefit the lower and middle classes.  Since when has making sense gotten someone the Republican nomination?

• lilune666lilune666 Member Posts: 129

Having an issue with the people who bring politics and other drama into your game is understandable, but how could such a thing be regulated without infringing on people's rights?   You can cover your ears and bitch about what the game should be, but people are assholes and will just do or say whatever they want if given half a chance.  

• WispyWispy Member UncommonPosts: 51

If anybody's really upset about this, they should just join in the march with NAKED DANCING NIGHT ELVES!

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Originally posted by Shoal

Let's hope some GMs (real ones) will attend and immediately ban them (permanently) for gross violations of TOS and EULA.
    Otherwise, where will it end.
    Real Life should stay in the Real World.
    To bad Whisperwind is not a PvP server.

Now THAT would be funny if the entire parade was wiped out by the Horde !

What a hoot that would be. :)
    I'd support GM's permabanning these morons mainly because one of the reasons I play games is to get away from politics, and I'm what many would consider to be a political junky.

Frankly, even if Edwards, Dodd, or Kucinich supporters staged this, I'd feel the same way.

The catch is that Ron Paul supporters are borderline cultists.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

They've made their way to SWG too.  There's been a few pop up on Chilastra in Restuss spamming crap about it...I don't even know who Ron Paul is, not following American Politics and all :/  Usually I report them and they get logged out...hopefully SOE lets the Wardens use their silence powers on them :P

• ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118

Lol that must be the most stupid idea ever