Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Ron Paul Supporters March on WoW

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

WoW Insider is reporting that supporters of  Republican Presidential Candidate Ron Paul will be staging a march in support of their candidate on World of Warcraft's Whisperwind server.

Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul's internet regiment has come to World of Warcraft-- a group of his supporters are planning to form a guild on Whisperwind and do a march from IF to Stormwind (which means they'll probably be Gnomes or Dwarves, which is too bad, because I liked the idea of "Trolls for Ron Paul") on New Year's Day at 8:30pm EST.

Now, we here at WoW Insider are politically neutral when it comes to Warcraft, so we won't advocate joining these guys (and we also won't advocate forming a "Horde for Hillary" guild to oppose them). But we are 100% in support of bringing widescale opinion expression of any kind into the game itself, so this should definitely be a fun event.

Read more here.

Comments

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Undoubtedly, this is a clever move as I'm sure it'll even make it newsworthy for CNN. But I really fear where this will lead, as I think this will be precedent setting for other "causes".

• AenashiAenashi Member UncommonPosts: 52

hah what a joke.. Ron Paul doesnt even know what WoW is i bet. 

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Let's hope some GMs (real ones) will attend and immediately ban them (permanently) for gross violations of TOS and EULA.

Otherwise, where will it end.

Real Life should stay in the Real World.

To bad Whisperwind is not a PvP server.

Now THAT would be funny if the entire parade was wiped out by the Horde !

What a hoot that would be. :)

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

everyone go get there level 70 horde toons and lets go killum   

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

This seems inappropriate to me, for the reason that games are for many of their players an escape from the real world and its issues. Then people intentionally drag those issues straight into a game, for campaigning?

Come to think of it, that's another reason why Second Life isn't a game. :P

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• LifePositiveLifePositive Member UncommonPosts: 130

For some reason I find this incredibly amusing. Plus, from a Sociology perspective this is really neat stuff. Complain all you want about getting THEIR real life into YOUR fantasy land, but bleed over is fascinating stuff. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out...

“How do you kill that which has no life

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

as interesting as this might sound - please, keep real life stuff in the real world. most, if not all, go to wow, or whereever, to relax, have fun, etc., and usually real life things are just not part of that (even if some guilds perhaps have a structure close to real life companies, but it still is within the game realm).

Go to second life, there is enough real life stuff there. geez.

imageimage

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

Sadly, this is my server. I actually wish it was a PvP server. Hopefully the GMs will put a stop to this, especially since most who will show up will just be using the trial account to overload the server.

Anyone actually read the string where they talk about it? It's obvious that most people have no clue what WoW is... they'll just show up like sheep.

• ShijukiShijuki Member UncommonPosts: 318

Only in wow lol

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

WOW becoming a political front for Presidential Candidates, whats next Taco Bell refusing to serve illegal mexicans?

Surely this is because the young people support Ron, and because of this a clever idea to place it within WOW to support him makes sense. But whats that say for Rons supporters, that they are all worthy of bubbling and hearthing out when the going gets bad. Sadly this guy has more fun exciting new support changes then anyone I seen in the last 20+ yrs. Within that time period where technology still had enough pull to do some cool things like this. I say if they want to do this in game then Blizzard should stop it. Making others be around political or religious stuff in game is against the EULA for the game.

Pretty cool though, Ron is never going to win.

• raygunraygun Member Posts: 49

this is hella funny!  the only REAL republican if you look at the party historically

• doomrahdoomrah Member CommonPosts: 376

i wish they would do it on spirestone just so i can get a group to gank them LOL. whoever is on that server should make a guild against it and then fraps attacking them all.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

10G to the first person to call him a NOOB. 

I can hear the story on CNN now.

"Ron Paul supporters gathered on the Whisperwind server to rally support for the upcoming election.  After addressing the almost nonexistent crowd a folly of questions ensued consisting of 'Would you like to PWN some Noobs?' and 'HOWZ WILL U MKE AMERICAZ UBER!!!!1111'

Fantastic.

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

Originally posted by bezado
    Pretty cool though, Ron is never going to win. image

Say who? The talking heads on TV? Lets take Huckabee for example. The Media claims he's a contender, but here's the problem: he has less than 1 million in the bank. Even McCain has more money for campaigning than Huckabee, and both generally poll less than Ron Paul on popular unscientific polls, and straw polls. If that doesn't make you wonder what's going on, then maybe nothing will. Here's a hint: by the nature of reality contradictions do not exist, whenever you are facing one; check your premises, you will find that one of them is wrong.

-- Brede

• MagicManICTMagicManICT Member UncommonPosts: 92

I don't think Blizzard can stop this, whether against the TOS or not. They can certainly try. All players will have to do is find someone with a spare account that will create the guild, and everyone else get Trial accounts for the march.

I completely understand their reasoning behind it. They don't want to be seen as publicly supporting anyone, which will very well happen if political activists hold activities like this. The only way that Blizzard can avoid showing support is to open it so anyone can feel free to show support. Warcraft isn't Second Life, but it is still just as much a community with real people.

Also, I think the reason they are doing it on a PvE server is just so others can't interfer.

Once heard in the backwoods of Florida...

"Ma, it's time fer me ta go vote."

"Ok, Pa. Hurry back, now'

A few miles down the road, just outside the polling location, a man with a shotgun laying across his shoulder appears and approaches Pa. "Who ya votin' for, Mr. Pa? I hear that Jeb Bush looks to be a mighty fine candidate if ya know what I mean."

"Well, sir, I was plannin' on votin' for the other guy."

"If ya know what's good for ya, ya're gonna just turn right back around and go right back home."

"Now that you mention it, I do kinda like that policy Mr. Bush has on poor, uneducated folk."

(Note: Although these practices have ended in recent years, they were common practice through various laws. Southern states were the worst, though they could be found thoughout the entire Union. I only pick on Florida because of the 2000 election.)

• SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247

I would hate to see this happen in WoW or any other MMO. I don't want to see real-world politics in a game of any kind. If this were to become commonplace, I would quit playing the MMO that allowed it.

Ron Paul and his support people should have more consideration for the people who are playing the game and want to do so in relative peace. This will not raise awareness of him or his platform, it will raise resentment.

As son as their website sends me a registration confirmation for signing up, I will be posting in their forum my opinion about this idea. I hope others will do the same.

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• ShowrbeastShowrbeast Member UncommonPosts: 10

Why not do this?  It's not like WoW hasn't been actively taking over media outlets itself (South Park episodes etc).

• SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247

Originally posted by Showrbeast

Why not do this?  It's not like WoW hasn't been actively taking over media outlets itself (South Park episodes etc).
    Taking over?

As a one-time stunt by one candidate, I don't think of it as a problem. Rude, but easily ignored. However, the potential precedent is alarming to me. I will not play an MMO and be bombarded with real-world politics!

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Disgusting

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

So, do Canadian, EU, Asian, and other nations players get to file grievances against Blizzard for allowing political parties from the U.S. to campaign, when the Canadian, EU, Asian, and other nations have no interest in this and are not served in any way by this, but are basically being forced to watch this crap?

Also, are all the other Presidential hopefuls going to be given equal time, as U.S. law requires that if you give one party advertisement in any form of media ( and video games are media ), you must provide the same to the other candidates as well.

So, get ready to leave the game if Blizzard allows this, as then EVERY POLITICAL PARTY will have the right to do this, as will the political regimes of EVERY COUNTRY OUT THERE who has even 1 player in WoW.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

I know its only 1 server and its not even my server but jesus christ ...leave the politics out of the games please. If it were my server only a few stragglers might make it from getting corpse camped, lol.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by Szark

WoW Insider is reporting that supporters of  Republican Presidential Candidate Ron Paul will be staging a march in support of their candidate on World of Warcraft's Whisperwind server.

Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul's internet regiment has come to World of Warcraft-- a group of his supporters are planning to form a guild on Whisperwind and do a march from IF to Stormwind (which means they'll probably be Gnomes or Dwarves, which is too bad, because I liked the idea of "Trolls for Ron Paul") on New Year's Day at 8:30pm EST.

Now, we here at WoW Insider are politically neutral when it comes to Warcraft, so we won't advocate joining these guys (and we also won't advocate forming a "Horde for Hillary" guild to oppose them). But we are 100% in support of bringing widescale opinion expression of any kind into the game itself, so this should definitely be a fun event.

Read more here.

ITs cool Ron Paul has 0% chance of being elected and this should move him an entire -1% in the polls.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Originally posted by Jetrpg

Originally posted by Szark

Read more here.

ITs cool Ron Paul has 0% chance of being elected and this should move him an entire -1% in the polls.

Sadly he is the only one also worth a hill of beans in all parties.

• TenebrosoTenebroso Member Posts: 262
    Originally posted by Taevil

hah what a joke.. Ron Paul doesnt even know what WoW is i bet. 

so true, lol.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

Originally posted by Suvroc

But I really fear where this will lead, as I think this will be precedent setting for other "causes".
    Exactly.  I agree.

I know that I would get pretty sick of it if people were staging in-game protests and demonstrations and political rallies every month or so in a game I was playing.  Because if they allow it for one group they have to allow it for others.

How would you like to see pro-abortion / anti-abortion rallies in your game?  Gay rights parades?  Neo-Nazi rallies?  And the list goes on.

Do we really want all of that stuff brought into our game worlds?  I know I don't.