Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about Subscribing

tallshortguytallshortguy Member Posts: 92

I'm really tired of WoW right now and am looking for territory/pvp oriented game. I played the trial months ago and got a destroyer before the time ran out. The combat is okay, not really fast from what I saw but acceptable. Before I make my decision, I have a few questions.

How long does it take for an average person to advance to a level where they are competitive in pvp? I have heard of the unique "leveling" system but I'm not sure how it exactly works. Keep in mind I don't have hours a day to play, maybe an hour or two a night.

Do I need to pay for the client+expansions or do they come free to download when I subscribe?

The main reason I didn't sub after my trial before was because most of my friends were playing WoW. I liked the depth, although a bit confusing, but the first missions were very repetitive (kill these pirates and claim X object). Does the PVE content get any better latter on?

Thanks for any helpful responses.

In the end, logic and reason always beat out fanboys.

Comments

• BaxslashBaxslash Member UncommonPosts: 237

Well, first, u don't actually, its more like training, u start a skill, log off, and u log in again, 3-4 hrs, to 60+ days, depending on the rank of skill, and its trained.

To be effective in pvp, and, the time it takes is actually quite short, due to the act of specializing, you can train to be in a T2 frigate in less then a couple months, and be quite an good pvp within a few months of that to, so, overall, around 6 months.

Cruisers are a tad more time consuming, and even then, Battleships are roughly 1 yr  tops, if your running for specific training.

• tallshortguytallshortguy Member Posts: 92

So when you train a skill, does it train while logged off or do I need to be logged in for it to train?

both, which is great, no real grinding to do :)

• cormachcormach Member UncommonPosts: 98

It trains in real time, whether you are logged in or not.

Also, you hear about how hard it is to catch up to the vets all the time, but, to be honest, if you focus your training, I've seen some new players after a few months totally cream a vet.

• FinwolvenFinwolven Member Posts: 289

To be competitive in PVP, you need one thing: Friends.

"After courage and valor have long since fled, the day will be won by the guy who remembered to bring reinforcements to the party." -Narrator, Schlock Mercenary

Alone, you will be prey, in small groups, you will be a hunter, in fleets, you will be a part of a vast machine of war (or a collection of targets, if the FC sucks).

Time to fly a tackler efficiently: Two-three weeks tops

Time to fly an EW cruiser efficiently: Month or two

Time to fly a sniping BS or a T2 HAC: Five-to-six months

It's all about where you set your sights.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

What you need to be combat effective in EVE is Friends. Organizations win battles for territory and there is a lot of work to be done to make that happen. I would say 8 months to be a strong combat pilot, but this means very little unless you find the right group to fly with. Look for a group that has a strong industrial presence in both high and 0.0 sec., and be honest about the amount of time you can commit to the game. If you set a certain amount of time aside every week (the same hours) for the Corp., and they begin to utilize you during that time, that is a good sign. Building trust and making friends are more important than the pew pew IMHO. When both come together...thats what it's all about!

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

Be sure to check out the sticky on these forums, lots of useful links. Also, if you need help with ship set ups try the official forums, there's a ships and modules section with tons of info.

-iCeh

• IndoIndo Member Posts: 252

If you're looking for a territory/PVP oriented game and like Sci-fi, I'd give this game a try. The above posters are correct, you need numbers to succeed. The drawback is that technically, you'll never "catch up" to someone skill-wise that started on day one.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

Don't worry about catching up, you don't have to. Pick something you want to specialize in and you will have as many skill points as anyone else in the game who has mastered the same thing. Then go on and pick something else you want to master.  You might get tired of fighting and give industry a shot. That's a whole new ballgame. IMO that's what makes this game so cool. You want to take a break from doing one thing and can go and start training in another area.

The only difference is that a vet has mastered skills in many more areas. But they they can only pick one area at any given time. And there is no super uber player or setup that can't be taken out. Everything has strengths and weaknesses.

I read that scamming isn't against the rules. Does it happen alot? The one I read about was someone changing the ship name to make it seem like a more expensive one. Is there any way for me to prevent this when buying a ship?

yes, that happened in jita, and was done recently, and the only way to prent such things from happening, is to make sure that what ur buying is what ur getting ur isk worth, always investigate the sell, never just accept it without bringing up the show info of the item u wish to buy.

What areas are each faction better at?

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

Well as for chosing what race your Toon shall be it makes no real difference if your carefull how you distribute your atributes.

But ship wise they are different.

Caldari

Are the PvE race which uses missiles a lot and Shield based tanks a lot. And can have some of the best ECM ingame [scorpion battleship].

Gallente

Are a decent PvP race that uses a mix of blasters and drones and like to get up close a lot. Can do Armour tanking.

Mimmitar

The underdogs of eve are a Good hit and run PvP using projectile wepons and missiles they are light ships and fast. can do both armour and shield tanking but not both at same time.

Amarr

A PvP race that uses Laser wepons are a bit slow but are good with Armour Tanking.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

How hard is it to get into/find a good corporation?

Finding a Corp that fits you is hard, I've been a member of OCFF, for a long time now, with a few small associates outside the corp itself. OCFF is one of the many merc corps. you'll come across, but, there are many mining, industrial, and science corps out there.

BUT, in 0.0, with the big alliances, u'll find all manners of corp styles.

As I said, its a matter of finding the right corp for you, and, you'll get many offers from different corps to join, some of these can be a fake out, where you'll join a corp, and they'll charge a stiff weekly fee, and, if you try to leave, they'll force you to stay, so, becareful, listen in the rookie chat, and help chat, get as much info on the corp as possible to.

Use your wits, and, try hard to not let things get by you, and you'll do well.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

Originally posted by tallshortguy

How hard is it to get into/find a good corporation?
    If you don't know how to play the game, I'd strongly recommend Eve University. They actually teach classes in many aspects of the game ( I believe they teach 9 classes right now). However atm they are in a war and they close recruiting until the war is over.  They expect players to leave their corp and many big time corps want recruits that started in E-Uni because they know E-Uni grads learn how to play the game. BTW Eve University has a public channel.

You don't have to join E-Uni to learn the game. Many of the quality corps will also teach you how to play. Just know that most of them won't recruit you until your trial is over and you have played more than 2 weeks.

• solesole Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by tallshortguy

I'm really tired of WoW right now and am looking for territory/pvp oriented game. I played the trial months ago and got a destroyer before the time ran out. The combat is okay, not really fast from what I saw but acceptable. Before I make my decision, I have a few questions.
    How long does it take for an average person to advance to a level where they are competitive in pvp? I have heard of the unique "leveling" system but I'm not sure how it exactly works. Keep in mind I don't have hours a day to play, maybe an hour or two a night.
    Do I need to pay for the client+expansions or do they come free to download when I subscribe?
    The main reason I didn't sub after my trial before was because most of my friends were playing WoW. I liked the depth, although a bit confusing, but the first missions were very repetitive (kill these pirates and claim X object). Does the PVE content get any better latter on?
    Thanks for any helpful responses.

O  Tallshort guy stop think and subscribe ;)

Tallshort   this about to be competive in pvp depends what sort of a pilot you want to be  realy

We dont lvl in EvE   we skill up    " didnt you played the trial ?"    Skill system is so nice soo you skill up while you are offline.

All expansions are paid by the monthly sub fee.

The PvE content hm well  read the forums   Yo need a sort of a "vision" to see all the depths in EvE Online.

• LordSicLordSic Member Posts: 142

friends is all good as has already been stated but my response is

The ammount of time it takes you to be cometitive depends on YOU not your character.. It depends on how fast you learn to use modules and your ship and most importantly...YOU MUST LEARN WHEN TO FIGHT AND WHEN TO RUN.  if your in a destroyer and a vet is in a intercepter .. you got a great chance of smoking him.. better than great actually..

So the answer to your question is. It depends on how fast and well you learn .. i can take a 1 day old character in a tech 1 frigate and get stuff done in pvp... the only difference is that the better your skills and ships the more often you can fight and win 1 on 1 or at least engage and escape without dying... hell i took on an Red Alliance mother ship in my crow solo.... Of course i didnt even hurt it but it lasted over a minute and he didnt kill me.