Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hang on, I thought that RF-Online was a free game?

redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

After praising this game to my friends about how free it was and how cool it is, my friends went off to get this great Free game, only to find that codemasters has Fileplanet.com distributing the client software for RF-ONLINE as only for Fileplanet subscribers, there is No non-subscriber download link. the only way to download Rf-online client software is to PAY Fileplanet.com a min 1 month sub fee. need less to say my friends are not interested in Joining Fileplanet.com for any reason.
or you can go thru Xfire.com and download it for free, u do have to download Xfire and register first, but it's all free......so far.
13.1.2008 ******** PLEASE READ THIS UP DATE FIRST BEFORE YOU POST ********
What we know so far is that some people have NO problems what so ever downloading the game.
But we also know, that some people Are having problems downloading the game, they keep getting a fileplanet page telling them that they can only download the client.exe if they subscribe to Fileplanet.com, NO free public server is offered,( not a normal Fileplanet page)
this is the page they find instead;
http://www.fileplanet.com/160107/download/RF-Online-Trial/Game-Client
Not every person, gets this link when they try to download the game, sometimes it happens when you try the DOWNLOAD NOW button on the splash screen, sometimes it's from the main page link.
It's seams to be random, sometimes existing player get it, some times new players trying to download the game for the first time get it.
We also know how to get the game for free and even what links to go thru.,( this is not the problem)
What I want to know is...
HOW MANY OTHER PEPOLE ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THIS  DOWNLOAD LINK?
********** Thank you for reading this first, before posting **********

Comments

• _rch_rch Member UncommonPosts: 34

um.. ever heard of  Torrent downloading?

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

yes I have and i don't see a download link on the RF-online main client download page for it.

yes it's true that you can download RF-online client software for free,( if you know where to find the download link.) the problem is that the main download link on the home page of the RF-Online game, sends you to FilePlanet.com which will only let you download if you are a subscriber, so much for a free game.

you can download the client software from;

Xfire.com

and I've been told, via Torrent download program,( from where i don't know yet)

• wind1wind1 Member Posts: 1

Uh... I downloaded RF through FilePlanet, and I didn't have to pay anything.

• Dragos1Dragos1 Member Posts: 1

follow the attached link

http://www.rf-onlinegame.com/splash.php?return=index.php

Go to any of the sites and there's no fee.

Also can use fileplanet just registers as a non paying member. I am this and have downloaded many games for free. They tend to say if you pay you get it quicker! your friends might have seen this option.

• alylynnalylynn Member Posts: 16

for sure, i havent had to pay yet, i got mine from gamershell.com ...try it out, hope it works for yah!

~`all the pretty ladies want to be like me, cause i've got a pocket full of candy`~

Ok, it's cool that some of you can find alternative download sites, i was thinking of pepole who were just starting like my freinds, who don't really know where to find other sites to get the same thing.

I also know how Fileplanet works, been a paid member and i'm still a registerd but non subscribing member, so I was quite suprised to find that it indeed said that only members with subscribtion could download it, it did not bring the public download servers up after a minute or two like it normally should.

to the guys who say they can download it form Fileplanet, please check to make sure you don't already have a sub to Fileplanet.

i would like to get to the bottom of this, It was a big turn off for my freinds, who thought they were going to download RFO.

so keep the comments and info coming please, thanks.

• coolmehikecoolmehike Member Posts: 5

First of all you don't need to pay to register to fileplanet.You can register for free membership that allowes u to download from there.Only those who want faster download may pay

MAster

Please read the above post's, before adding a reply.

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

Hhhheellllooooo.    you can download it from Fileplanet on a free account, you have multiple people telling you that "you can". It is not a conspiracy against you or  your friends.  I have done it once as well.  I have also used the gamers hell link which is an alternative link on the main web site for RF. 

As for alternative links.  What is so hard about finding out about those. They are on the main Site. People have answered you and told you where to go.

See here   <--- click that link.  where it says, "To download RF Online and get started in the world of Novus, please visit our Free to Play page here!"

Click the word "here!"  and do what it says.  It shows you all the alternative downloads.

Or better yet follow Dragos1 link its the same place I am pointing you towards. 

HI again, thanks to all for your help and advice, here's what I found out,

If your new and you follow the link from MMORPG.com you will be asked to input a security code and then be given a game key, once you have this you can follow the link to a download page with multi- FREE download links, if your a first time visitor.

If you already member and have the game and you want to download the client again, you will have to be a registered member of Fileplanet to download it, why or how my friends ended up at this link,I don't know.

Also Just for the record, I own a retail version of the game, so I have it on disc.

So Don't delete or lose that Free downloaded RFO client.exe, because next time you need it,(and u don't have it) it's gonna cost you a months sub at fileplanet.

or you could lust take someone else's MMORPG's free game key, ( Remember one per person/ member) then follow the link to the free download links.

My best tip here is; Don't post on someone else behalf!

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715
    Originally posted by _rch

um.. ever heard of  Torrent downloading?

Actually, I'm a bit paranoid about MMO client torrents from unofficial sources. Its the perfect way to slip in something to log account info from everyone who's downloaded it.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

Originally posted by redcap036

HI again, thanks to all for your help and advice, here's what I found out,
    If your new and you follow the link from MMORPG.com you will be asked to input a security code and then be given a game key, once you have this you can follow the link to a download page with multi- FREE download links, if your a first time visitor.
    If you already member and have the game and you want to download the client again, you will have to be a registered member of Fileplanet to download it, why or how my friends ended up at this link,I don't know.
    Also Just for the record, I own a retail version of the game, so I have it on disc.

So Don't delete or lose that Free downloaded RFO client.exe, because next time you need it,(and u don't have it) it's gonna cost you a months sub at fileplanet.
    or you could lust take someone else's MMORPG's free game key, ( Remember one per person/ member) then follow the link to the free download links.

My best tip here is; Don't post on someone else behalf!
    What the heck are you smoking.  Its never gonna cost you anything unless you buy from the item mall. 

Once you make an account for RF you don't ever!  have to worry about a key again even if you reinstall.   Just your account name and password. Maybe for the box you do. but the downloadable client you absolutely do not.

YOU DO NOT NEED A SUB AT FILE PLANET. LOOK AT THE LINKS PEOPLE GAVE YOU PREVIOUSLY IN THIS THREAD.  And read what was said.

How old are you, seriously? Do you not understand what people have told you.  Do you not understand the concept of click this link go to see alternative download options.

Jaybirdz, please go and try to bait someone else, somewhere else, into a flame war, I'm not intrested in anything you got to say.(time to show all of us how mature you are.)

Yes, I understand what everyone else is trying to say, but it don't work for me when I go and try to download it, it tells me i must be a subscriber of Fileplanet to download it.

And if you want to know why, read my last post.

thank's again for your feedback :)

• EstrusEstrus Member Posts: 357

Seriously, reading this thread reminded me of that Far Side cartoon, you know the one with the dude PUSHING the door to the School for the Gifted when the door clearly states PULL...

• anonymousseanonymousse Member Posts: 61

redcap > The reason you can't get it to work is because you're so intent on proving that you can't, that you somehow miss the obvious fact that you can. I just went and signed up for a free Fileplanet account and downloaded the game myself. If you want, I'll e-mail you the username and password,and then you can use my free account to do it, too!

/face palm

People gave you the links to download the stupid game. If you are offended by the wording I used. Then quit bs'ing around and telling people you CAN'T.   people spent time providing links and making sure they still work before posting. 

But some how beyond my knowledge you sit where ever you are and tell people that you can't.  I spent 15 minutes providing the same link that Dragos1 did from the RF's main website. 

And you still deny that you can get a free download of the game. What is your problem.    If it seems I am a bit hostile in my wording its because people have taken the time to help YOU  out. Only for you to say it does not work. 

The file planet download is free the other links provided to you in this thread is free.  I currently question your capability of being able to play an MMORPG at this point all together. Its been 6 days from the making of this thread and if you seriously can not or have not figured out how to download said game by now. HERE'S YOUR SIGN. And maybe thats a good thing. I can't imagine anyone trying to help you ingame with a more difficult task at this point.   Such as opening your inventory.

OK just to get the record straight,
    1) My friends who I have been  badgering for the last month to go download this wonderful Free game, finally said, "yep ok they would", so they followed the link from MMORPG.com, got their free cd-key and followed the link to download the game client, which took them to Fileplanet and told them that only subscribers could download this file, I didn't believe them when they told me, so I went and tried myself, went to RF online web site and tried the download link and ended up on the same Fileplanet page telling me that I had to subscribe to get the download.
    2) I have been a member of fileplanet and do understand how fileplanet works and how to use the public servers on Fileplanet.
    3) I originally downloaded my RF-online game client.exe from codemasters for free, since then I have also bought a retail version of the game, so I would not have to download it again, (if I needed to and no we did not have the disc, when my friends tried to download it) and I am still an active player in RF-online.
    4) I understand that other people can and indeed are still downloading it for free, which is great, but it still don't answer why myself and my friends can only get it if we subscribe to fileplanet for 1 month first, if they were to try and download it, but even that problem has been taken care of, by me buying a retail version of the game disc,( see above )
    5) My intentions with this posting was to find out why this happened?, was it a glitch?, is there a deal with Fileplanet and codemasters?, is fileplanet doing the dirty behind codemasters back?, really I don't care, I just thought it was a nasty surprise to any newbie,( like my friends found) who thought they were getting a free game.
    6) yes I did block what's it's name's post, looked to me as if he wanted to start a flame war and I was just not interested.
    7) my eyes are fine and I did read your posts, to all who really tried to just help, I say thank you and wish you good gaming.
  • SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Well, considering I downloaded the game without ever having paid fileplanet for a subscription, you're obviously doing something wrong.

It's absolutely free; believe me. They make their money from the cash shop in-game, so it's in "their" best interest that you get it for free.

congradualtions. Not only have I reported your thread at this very point. after peopel have helped you and you call them liars. 

1. people provided alternative links for you.

2. Multiple people told you the file planet download was free.

3. someone even offered to make you a file planet account and give you instructions from there on how to download the game.

and you still argue that you can not download the game client after 6 days.  6 DAYS!!! 

Not only at this point have I reported the thread for the stupidity of the thread maker but myself as well.     Something about natural selection  (<----edited: changed from random to natural. Not sure why I said random. ) comes to mind at this point. And I wonder how you have gotten this far in life.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

hehe its threads like these that secure my belief that most of our youth should be euthanized simply to save the gene pool.

I just made a new account to test RF online could be downloaded from fp with no sub, and to my surprise... IT CAN!

No need to pay.

You are officially an idiot and apparently so are your friends.

Please place your pc back in the box it came in, and return it to the store. You're not yet ready for this "New fangled contraption"

Alacres, number 4) and number 5) above.

I should have posted this in my first post.

I followed this link from the RFO homepage download/client link

http://www.rf-onlinegame.com/download-clients.php

which leads to this link

http://www.fileplanet.com/160107/download/RF-Online-Trial/Game-Client

which ends up at this link;

http://www.fileplanet.com/subscribe/sub_only_dl.shtml

make of it what you will.

Originally posted by redcap036

Alacres, number 4) and number 5) above.

And I'll reiterate by saying you must have done something wrong by mistake.

What is it doing exactly when you try to download RF from fileplanet? Does it show a list of free public servers to download from? You might have to wait in line for awhile depending on what time of day you try to download it, but I don't see how it's not working.

What are you doing exactly, step by step?

Edit: just saw your above post. Hmm, that is strange...

I'll mess around with a bit myself and see if I can get it to work. I downloaded the client a few weeks ago, so they might have just started this. I notice it's called "trial client" which is weird. Although, mine may have been called the same thing and I just don't remember. Anyway, I'll check it out too.

Edit Edit: Ah ha! I found your problem. The Fileplanet link is dead, since it's the "trial client" you've been trying to download. I'm not sure why they'd still have the trial client link on their site but I hear they don't update very often >_>.

Anyway, this is all you have to do:

1. Go to the main site homepage http://www.rf-onlinegame.com/, then click the banner to the right of the screen, right underneath the "Chip Wars" clock/counter. It says "Free to play, Free to download."

2. It will take you to the key generator page so you can get your serial number.

3. After you get your key, it will take you to the download page which gives you several links to different hosting site where you download the game (Fileplanet isn't even on the list haha, go figure). I'd suggest Filefront, since it's a pretty reliable site, but I'm sure any of them will work fine. I can't believe I forgot about all of this lol, I feel pretty foolish.

Anyway, your problem should be solved now :). Hope it all works out.

At this point you failed on link 2.  make a free account.

I am currently making you a bloody email and FP account since it seems beyond your capabilities.

I will post the email information as well as the fileplanet information in abotu 5 minutes. Don't complain when you see the usernames you rightfully earned them at this point. 

Originally posted by JayBirdz

At this point you failed on link 2.  make a free account.

I am currently making you a bloody email and FP account since it seems beyond your capabilities.

I will post the email information as well as the fileplanet information in abotu 5 minutes. Don't complain when you see the usernames you rightfully earned them at this point. 

Sorry to break it to you Jay, but we were all wrong (see my above, edited, post)

Fileplanet only offers the trial client which probably isn't even used anymore.

Unless you know something I don't...