Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GIVE ME A ACTION/SKILL BASED MMO

syphon1313syphon1313 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 10

I WANT A SKILL BASED MMO, NOT THE WOW-STYLE CLICK AND WATCH GAMES!!!! I want a game where you can click and your character will swing his sword, where damage calculation is done by who you hit, not by who you have selected. Give a  MMO like Oblivion where you can block your opponents attacks and, if you feel like it, go show that stone wall or that air what the cut of your sword feels like. I want to be able to do my own attacks and block the enemies based on my ability to press a button and pull up my shield, not the fact that my when the computer calculated some random crap, I got a correct number and got lucky.

Give me something like Mount & Blade (except an MMO) or something like Dungeons and Dragons Online (on there you can dodge) or RYL 2 thats actually popular. If ANYBODY, anybody at all, can please tell me of a game where the FIGHTING REQUIRES SKILL, where its not hahaha, I am a lvl higher and am better at being a pussy and running away while healing myself so therefore I win. Where you can actually call ure attacks, not where your person swings automatically when ure close enogh, PLEASE TELL ME OF THIS GAME. The only ones I know of right now that are even close to achieving that are DarkFall, Age of Conan, AutoAssualt, Tabula Rasa, PlanetSide, and.... Sadly, most of those are based in the future. Is it really that much harder to swing a sword then it is to shoot a gun?

I believe Oblivion, Rakion, Mount & Blade, D&DO, and RYL 2 have proven that it is possible, but why wont ppl do it? Is it because all the people out there who dont have enough hand-eye coordination or have slow enough reflexes that these games wont work? If thats the case, then I am glad I was blessed enough to be able to move my mouse around and click instead of accidentaly punching my monitor off my desk. So, for the last time I ask, IF ANYONE KNOWS ABOUT A GAME LIKE THIS, PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME!!!!!!

FTrunks21

Comments

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Guild Wars is the most skill-based MMO I've come across, so I'd recommend checking that out.

Blocking etc. will be hard to implement into an MMO because of latency issues sadly.

• ElectricdawnElectricdawn Member Posts: 35

Hm, reading your last paragraph I would like to say something to you. I don't want to come off as rude, but maybe if you're reaching 30, you will realize that not everybody has the 1337 Sk1lZ like a 13 year old. We do get older, slower, and we still want to enjoy games. That's why the click and fight variety of games (like WoW and many other games) is very popular. This just for your information.

Still I would say that the problem with twitch based combat games is not so much a problem that people don't want to play them, it is a very real technical issue. Lag has always been a problem in network based games, especially back in the 90s, when there were only 56K Modems. The problem is still here. How can you make a game world inhabited by 1000s of players that can literally fight each other at the same time and not expect to experience massive amount of lag?

This is a problem even with the regular point and click games, how bad is it in a twitch based game?

I think that the time is not right for games like this (i.e. Darkfall) When internet technology gets better and faster, we might see more twitch based combat games appear, but that will not happen for a few years to come. And then of course, these games will only appeal to a niche market of players, that love games just for being hard and punishing.

Me, I love demanding games, but I don't want to be punished and robbed clean AND laughed upon by my "peers". I can have that in real life. No, thank you. I rather have fun. :D

• syphon1313syphon1313 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 10

I understand your points in lag, and I also believe that, though it does take away from gameplay, Guild Wars has accomplished that. The little mini-worlds you can enter with just your group would be a good way for it to work. I cant stand games where you can just have your character auto-attack. It really takes out of the game. Most games are, as said very well by Carolyn Koh in her report on AoC, for "the type of gamer that likes to have your Cheetos in one hand and your coffee in the other while your character auto-attacks mobs, licking your fingers every now and again to hit that flashing special attack button" Which i think is ridiculous.

I believe that it should be a test of skill to lvl, not a test of time. Im about to say something that will make some of you OMFG this kid is such a loser but, regardless of your opinions, I will say it. I believe that the leveling system with the best ideas is the one on Adventure Quest (battleon.com), yes, the 2D, little kid, turn-based browser RPG (I stopped playing it about 2 years ago). When you level, you health raises, as does your mana. That part is normal in games, but get this. You get stat points, but dont get to add them. To add them, you must go to a stats trainer, choose the stat you wish to add to, and then defeat the trainer to get a point in that area. Some of you might say well gosh, that seems like it would take a awful lot of work for stat points. Sure maybe 2 minutes of combat per point but hey, is that really alot compared to the 5 straight days of gaming it requires to gain a level in most games?

If there is one thing I have noticed in every game I have played, the people that brag the most are the people that really, really suck at the games but are powerful because they have the time to get a high level. The worst part about it is, these high level people only play against those who are half their level. I believe, if you cant hang with everyone else who is level 50, maybe you shouldnt be level 50. Also, to those who say they enjoy playing games that dont require lots of skill, I am not saying we should do-away with those games, I would just enjoy some games for people like me who consider a challenge to be of skill, not of total time devoted. So far, the posts seem good on this thread and, according to the poll when I wrote this post, most people agree with me. Its good to know I'm not the only one. Its just a shame that there is nothing I can really do to make one of these games be created...

• ZsasZZsasZ Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by syphon1313

I believe that the leveling system with the best ideas is the one on Adventure Quest (battleon.com), yes, the 2D, little kid, turn-based browser RPG (I stopped playing it about 2 years ago). When you level, you health raises, as does your mana. That part is normal in games, but get this. You get stat points, but dont get to add them. To add them, you must go to a stats trainer, choose the stat you wish to add to, and then defeat the trainer to get a point in that area. Some of you might say well gosh, that seems like it would take a awful lot of work for stat points. Sure maybe 2 minutes of combat per point but hey, is that really alot compared to the 5 straight days of gaming it requires to gain a level in most games?

I'll have to remember this when my kids ask for thier allowance. "Sure, you've earned the money, but you cannot have it until you can defeat me in unarmed combat!'

In case the sarcasm was a bit much, I'm kinda against that idea. having to fight for something you've already fought for adds nothing. What happens if you lose, do you lose your level as well?

Evil will always win, because Good is dumb.

I wasnt sure I was being to clear on that so, here it goes. In a RPG that requires no skill, as in adventure quest itself, the idea would be a waste of time. In a skill based RPG though, it would be great for seperating the strong and the weak. It would make it kind of like a single player game. As the game progresses, it gets harder and harder, so you must become better and better or just get left behind. Lets say your were training in strength. You would fight a knight. Lets say your increasing your strength for 1 to 3. The knight you are faceing would then have stats alot worse then yours and would basically be a practice dummy that swings every once in a while and might block an attack. Lets say your increasing your strength from 300 to 303, the knight would have alot better stats then you and have great AI, making him a fierce warrior and making it hard to progress further into the game.

Nothing happens if you lose. It would kind of be like I said, a singleplayer game, as you progress, you must get better or just stick where you are. I understand it might get a little to hard for some people so, another idea could be different servers with different difficulty. On the easier servers, you can just explore the game, get to max level easy but, due to easy-ness of it, there has to be a penalty like less items on those servers, less places, less skills, and only basic classes and races. There could be a medium server which would just be moderate everything and then a hard server where everything is unlocked but its alot harder to play on.

• spector75spector75 Member UncommonPosts: 168

You know why a game like that will never come into play? Because of what you just said in that post.  "Much like a single player game you either get better or get left aside" Lemme look at this from a buisness stand point.

So i could have a game where 500k people play and there are 200k people who only log in for say 5 hours a week. or i could have 200k people where they all log in 8 hours a day. Lemme think... Yep loss of money due to a game that won't attract the masses = no go in developement.

Do you  have some good ideas? Sure... But then again thats what single players games are for. To me no offense but you sound like a 16ish y/o kid who has to get gaming mixed into with school and homework and you don't have time to dedicate to playing. So u want to log in for 2 hours a day and be able to compete with the top people who spend all day playing because your on the same skill length they are, just not level. Which i know alot of people understand. However, level doesn't determine everything in an MMO like your trying to say. I mean come on,  would you as a raid leader take any max lvl toon with you? or only the best?

Skill is all based on the game and whats going on. Does it take more skill to click your button to swing, or to know exactly which skills in which order will maximize your damage output? All i'm saying is looking at a game based on point and click and a game based on left click = attack right click = defense isn't that much different, the skilled players will always shine. You won't see a crap player in the top of the pvp standards, nor in a top tier raid guild. They will just be a max lvl person who is ganking lowbies.

The fact that not everyone is skilled is the reason why i suggested different servers. To what you said about the raid leader thing, would the best not be a lvl 60ish person with great items? And, about the click to swing fighting system, it would not be that simple. Just look at AoC, that is the type of fighting I am talking about. So now, you tell me, does it take more skill to simply memorize which order to use skills in to get maximum effect, or does it take more skill to be able to look at your oppenents swing, parry their attack, and then go in on thier open side for a nice, clean blow? Does it take more skill to select your oppenent then press attack and watch your guy shoot the enemy with a bow, or does it take more skill to take aim with the bow and lead the person, maybe even getting a headshot worth more damage? Im sure we could keep doing this all day. The fighting system would not get rid of skills. It would be your knowledge of "exactly which skills in which order will maximize your damage output" along with good aim and the ability to stick with your enemy. Heck, all these things I am suggesting would take years to make. I would be fine with keeping WoW the exact same way it is but just modifying the fighting style to a more third / first person type thing. When I compare my gameplay experiences in WoW to that of a simple, free game like RYL 2, I love the world and ideas of WoW, but just the simple fact that you have to click for each individual attack helps keep me interested in the game. When I was playing WoW, I was killing people on COD: 4 at the same time.

• bazolabazola Member Posts: 3

I didn't bother to read all of your post or most of the responses.  I don't see why everyone is so against skill based gaming.  I'm not saying lets get rid of everything else, but the list of skill based MMOs is extremely short.

Planetside.

Well that pretty much covers it.  Other ones that aren't true MMOs include Freestyle, Gunbound, Drift City.  Levels aren't a big deal in those games. 

Unfortunately if you are looking for a "fantasy" skill based MMO I can't help you.

• Gammit100Gammit100 Member UncommonPosts: 439

I agree.  Even at 30, I'm tired of all level-based games.  This would be why my favorite MMO is Planetside.

I wish there were more skill-based MMO games, even if only to offer more choices.

MMO games played or tested: EQ, DAoC, Archlord, Auto Assault, CoH, CoV, EQ2, EVE, Guild Wars, Hellgate: London, Linneage II, LOTRO, MxO, Planetside, SWG, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WWIIOL, WOW, Age of Conan

• tripmodetripmode Member Posts: 84

I WANT A SKILL BASED MMO, NOT THE WOW-STYLE CLICK AND WATCH GAMES!!!!
    There must be a few posts like this every week....Obviously you have never played an MMO past the "tutorial" stage of a game.  

Go play DOOM, mmorpg games obvoiusly require more brainpower than you possess.

• xXSeraphielXxXSeraphielX Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by tripmode

I WANT A SKILL BASED MMO, NOT THE WOW-STYLE CLICK AND WATCH GAMES!!!!
    There must be a few posts like this every week....Obviously you have never played an MMO past the "tutorial" stage of a game.  

Go play DOOM, mmorpg games obvoiusly require more brainpower than you possess.

I see this style of post from you all the time... "Go play Doom" and frankly this was a persons opinion that you have addressed and invalidated. Do you not think that other people can expect something else from an mmo that the current point and click? I agree that it would be nice to see something more from an mmo... maybe not fps controls but something more action oriented.... DDO had some of it down and it was more action than most. But I tire of seeing people say " XXX style of game is not for you go play XXX" in this case it's MMO's are not for you, you expect too much, go play doom! Please if this is all you are going to post... why bother? Just because someone prefers a certain style does not mean they have less brainpower as you have stated. I play FPS and I play MMO's.... hell I even play EVE which requires a ton of thought and planning... tell me.. do I have less brainpower because I too would like to see more player skill involved in MMO's?

My 2 Cents

xXSeraphielXx

• XerpherionXerpherion Member Posts: 28

It sounds to that if your looking for a skill based game that requires alot of your input during combat, and allows you to go attack walls if you feel the need, you'd be better off playing an FPS, instead of an MMO, if its an MMO your looking for your best, and probaly only bet would be planetside

• turnipzturnipz Member Posts: 531

Check out this game, its a team based game with an action rpg type level system to it called Monster Hunter:Frontier.

Its also really damn hard, and wont be released in usa, only in japan..  yet its exactly what a lot of us are looking for i think.

• JMadisonIVJMadisonIV Member Posts: 282

the only one is Planetside.

but if you like PVE, then Planetside's not for you.  all PvP, all the Time.

but even so, let's see all the "Hardcore Forum PvPers" play that one.

Well, congratulations tripmode on the first flame post. I understand how to play games, if u werent such flaming retard and actually read all the posts before you comment, its not the fact that the games are to complicated. The first step would be to keep everything there currently is, just make the fighting style more complicated and skill based. Maybe, just maybe its you who is afraid of these games cause your one of those ppl whose 30 and still lives with their mom. You still get mommy and daddy to pay for everything so you can game 11 hours a day. Either that, or your one of those 5 year olds who talks shit online but sucks balls at everything. Who knows, ure probably one of those high levels i mentioned earlier. I'm just putting my ideas out and flaming @$$holes like you dont help any. Im tired of little kids who talk $hit and people who have no life. I havnt hooked my mike to my ps3 in months because all the little fagets just got mommy to buy them a ps3 and its just non-stop flaming and bull-shit. You probably have hours played on WoW then hours outside your computer room. Please no more flaming posts. Dont you have anything better to do then find people to insult? If your asking about what im doing, it takes me about an hour to type each post cause I do it while I'm doing other stuff with my friends at the same time. Do us all a favor and try to spend atleast 3 hours a day outside. Thnks...

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Seems like your wayting for  " The chronicles of spellborn"

http://www.tcos.com/sbforum/viewtopic.php?t=10368

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

Age of Conan has skill based combat (heavy skill with some abilities mixed in).  if you are talking about a non level system then the old SWG was for you it was 100% skill based (combat was generic click and watch though(SOE destroyed this a while ago unfortunately)).  Tabula Rasa has a semi skill based combat (point at the enemy with ur cursor and click to fire ur gun but again its got abilities mixed in and its level based)

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

Actually, believe it or not, I was paying lots of attention to the Chronicles of Spellborn and Darkfall a while ago but both just seemed to die... Im fine with fact the AoC has a level system too. Like I have said my last couple posts, the one thing I really want is just an improved fighting system, whihc AoC has. RYL 2 and D&DO are the best examples of it right now. RYL 2 is just the basics, with click to swing and skills. D&DO added dodging to that.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Electricdawn

Hm, reading your last paragraph I would like to say something to you. I don't want to come off as rude, but maybe if you're reaching 30, you will realize that not everybody has the 1337 Sk1lZ like a 13 year old. We do get older, slower, and we still want to enjoy games. That's why the click and fight variety of games (like WoW and many other games) is very popular. This just for your information.
    Still I would say that the problem with twitch based combat games is not so much a problem that people don't want to play them, it is a very real technical issue. Lag has always been a problem in network based games, especially back in the 90s, when there were only 56K Modems. The problem is still here. How can you make a game world inhabited by 1000s of players that can literally fight each other at the same time and not expect to experience massive amount of lag?
    This is a problem even with the regular point and click games, how bad is it in a twitch based game?
    I think that the time is not right for games like this (i.e. Darkfall) When internet technology gets better and faster, we might see more twitch based combat games appear, but that will not happen for a few years to come. And then of course, these games will only appeal to a niche market of players, that love games just for being hard and punishing.
    Me, I love demanding games, but I don't want to be punished and robbed clean AND laughed upon by my "peers". I can have that in real life. No, thank you. I rather have fun. :D
    For me its other way around i dont get the punisment in real life so i want punishment in game robbed clean and laughed at.

Get real man its only a game, the funs is in open pvp games bordem comes when you play carebear games with no risk, all save play, when you start playing that kind of games,  your dead already:P

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• KyntorKyntor Member Posts: 280

I think you are confusing "twitch" with "skill."  I have always considered skills to be things such as stretegic thinking, situation awarness, positional awareness, preparedness, etc.  These are the type of skills that should be the focus of MMORPGs.  A lot of the "twitch mechanics" kill the immersiveness for me.  Being able to jump to avoid some explosion damage is just silly.

From reading your post, it seems that you would much happier if you stuck with MMOFPS.  I do not believe that MMORPGs are going to have the mechanics that you enjoy.

"Those who dislike things based only on the fact that they are popular are just as shallow and superficial as those who only like them for the same reason."

Originally posted by Kyntor

I think you are confusing "twitch" with "skill."  I have always considered skills to be things such as stretegic thinking, situation awarness, positional awareness, preparedness, etc.  These are the type of skills that should be the focus of MMORPGs.  A lot of the "twitch mechanics" kill the immersiveness for me.  Being able to jump to avoid some explosion damage is just silly.
    From reading your post, it seems that you would much happier if you stuck with MMOFPS.  I do not believe that MMORPGs are going to have the mechanics that you enjoy.

These days prepareness is not realy a skill anymore, go over to sites learn walkthroughs, many players these days have second pc next to main pc and just look up what do next on these sites i dont see that as a skil.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

QFT

Give me a skill based MMO (by that I mean skill systems like old UO, SWG, Oblivion) but you can keep your twitch "action" gaming. I play real "skill" games like Halo for that. I like my MMO with RPG in it. Or should I say I like my RPGs to be MMOs? Hmm.....

Originally posted by heerobya

QFT

Give me a skill based MMO (by that I mean skill systems like old UO, SWG, Oblivion) but you can keep your twitch "action" gaming. I play real "skill" games like Halo for that. I like my MMO with RPG in it. Or should I say I like my RPGs to be MMOs? Hmm.....

Morrowind was much more skill based then Oblivion, they symplify it alot.

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

I think you are confusing "twitch" with "skill."  I have always considered skills to be things such as stretegic thinking, situation awarness, positional awareness, preparedness, etc.  These are the type of skills that should be the focus of MMORPGs.   

Problem is, MMO's don't require much of those skills either.  It's more along the lines of:  learn which six buttons to click, then build your character and get uber gear.  Even in PvP, it takes a limitied amount of those skills.  In PvE, well, a retarded monkey could be successful at PvE in most MMO's...

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810
    RPG’s require tactical, strategic and logistics skills rather then manual skills.  They allow you the play the General, or the troop commander as opposed to the private who pulls the trigger.  They allow you to play the CEO who makes the decisions rather then the assembly line worker who makes the product. They allow you to play the architect rather then the carpenter.  They allow you the play the person who does the thinking and planning rather then the person who does the work.

If you really want to play games that are reliant on manual skills then you shouldn’t be looking at RPG’s.  For technical reasons most MMO’s tend to be RPG’s. 

Games like Oblivion give something of the effect you are looking for, but lets face it Oblivion is an average game at best and doesn’t remotely measure up to it’s predecessor, let alone the truly outstanding RPG’s.  The “sword swinging” in the elder scrolls series tends to get in the way more then it adds, the real fun comes from the flexibility of the character creation system.  This flexibility, however, comes at a price. It’s easy to make a character that vastly overpowers the content, this would never work in an MMO because everyone would choose the exact same builds.