Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

please tell me

tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

how dead is this game? I miss it greatly and my 52 ranger.

---------------------------------------------
WoW
-Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
-Rhalon 81 UD Mage
-Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
"If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura

Comments

• krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214

Don't do it; seriously, your memories of what EQ was don't deserve to be ruined by the abomination it has become.

Lets put it this way, there is raid gear with augs that have 190AC and 950hps on them! Swords that are 125 damage and 40 delay, mobs that quad for 2500! The designers said VELIOUS was pushing the combat system, this is silly. All it amounts to is SOE pushing you to raid, raid, raid, new expansion, raid more x3, new expansion, raid more x3.

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

I see

WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

well it isn't too dead from the server I was on. I found a group with two characters where there were the hotspot zones which seems to be a good addition.

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

EQ is not nearly dead.

That being said, if you miss EQ b/c of nostalgia, then it's probably best to just stay away and keep your fond memories. If you're like me, then EQ was your first MMO. I have a HUGE soft spot for EQ in my memories, it was my very first MMO and back when it came out there was absolutely nothing else like it. I still remember the immense and overwhelming feelings of awe and wonder that consumed me when I first started playing it. The feeling of stepping into that HUGE, and intricately detailed, three dimensional world that had a history all it's own was simply amazing and since then I have tried, in vain to recapture that feeling by playing other, newer MMOs.

Now, I truly do enjoy all, well most of the MMOs I have played since, and still play today but I was NEVER able to recapture those feeling that I felt way back-in-the-day playing EQ. I have even gone back to EQ a few times to see if the game still held that magic for me. But you know what? It didn't. I realize now that what I felt while playing EQ is something that can not be found in any other game b/c it wasn't really from the game itself. That feeling came from experiencing something so new that held so much promise and was unlike anything I had ever seen before.

So again, if you look to simply recapture, or relive that feeling by going back to EQ, don't do it. Just remember what it was like and how much fun it was b/c if you do go back, it most likely won't live up to your memories and you might just ruin them for yourself.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

Yeah, I don't really know what EQ is like these days because I haven't played since...um...God how long has it been?  I started quiting sometime during velious and finally quit for good after Planes of Power.  New characters on new servers kept me going for a while after I gave up on the high level game.

But anyway, depending on when you left I'm sure the game is nothing like you remember it.  I think the others are right, if you go back now you won't find the EQ you remember and it will just taint your fond memories.  If you are feeling nostalgic just wallow in old memories with people on a forum somewhere.  Like here.

Hey!  Anyone remember how awsome the PGT was back in the day?  Remember...from the gnolls in highpass...that ax that would proc a damage absorbing buff.  Ha, I won the roll for the PGT with my first character on a PvP server back before the Kunark expansion (I played on a PvP server and a blue server both).  Dang I loved that ax.

Anyone remember trying to do a corpse run from Halas through blackburrow with no light source?  Heh, there was that one rock in the middle of the tunnel that I always got hung up on.  I knew it was there but of course I couldn't see it in the dark.

Speaking of Blackburrow, remember the insane trains on a busy night?  I recall hunting snakes on that ledge and having train after train go through there.  Sometimes we got caught in the train and sometimes we would press ourselves up against the wall and they would ignore us.  Man it was crazy in there when it was crowded.

Going way back now...remember getting your first pieces of patchwork leather...and being GLAD to have it?

Ah, memories.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

heh, the best memories are either from the low levels or the high levels when you're no longer needing levelling. Maybe this secretly suggests that people desire something different than the grind or long levels. Ie: - adventure was where it was at but how to recreate that is a bit of a conundrum.

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453
    • I logged last night with my buddy's shaman; the game is dead:  spiritually, population, community, etc.
    • When I played very actively on Combine hacking was rampant in terms of about 80 to 90%+ using some third party program or other cheat to obtain undue advantages.  yes, about 8 in 10 people either directly hacked or indirectly benefited from hacking.
    • The game seems limited now.  I really hope they continue to develop Vanguard because it could become the next great thing in the spirit and tradition of EQ 1.

Play Vanguard, CoD 4.  Do not torture yourself or waste your time and money.  I come back to EQ 1 every once in a while and love it for 2 weeks, like it for 1 more, and hate it about a month later.

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

IMO, The Serpent's Spine (now a few expansions ago) wasn't an expansion for the original EQ so much as it was a replacement. The whole newbie experience is different. Any low level characters are likely to be in the newer zones than in the zones you remember. The scale of gear from the very beginning is different-- gear that you get for simple quests at level 1 may be better than what you might have had a higher level back when you played before, and the high level gear has stats that were unfathomable a few years ago. If you remember when 1:1 was a good dmg/dly ratio on your weapons... that isn't now.  

If you go in expecting EQ 1.5, and look for one of the more active servers, you might have an interesting new experience, but if you're missing a level 52 character, you'd going back into a game with 28 levels between you and cap, plus AAs and new gear, and little of what you remember still in play. It's not really worth it, IMO, at this stage in the game.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

So are you saying to find a better server and make a new charactger???

WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by tu_uilwen

So are you saying to find a better server and make a new charactger???

Well, if you do decide to play on one of the existing servers, I'd recommend the progression server that opened last year (The Combine) since I've heard it has a better low level population than most servers. But if you'd like to try out the new newbie zones I hear Stromm and Bristlebane are pretty healthy, population wise. This is all just hearsay though since I haven't played in quite a while; I just like the browse the forums ;).

Alternatively, SOE brought up the idea of a new alternate rule-set server a few months ago, and said they'd discuss it more seriously as soon as SoF (the last expansion) was released and ironed out. It's been about a month since that happened so I'm thinking they'll be bringing it up at the next Dev chat. If I had to guess, I'd say that if they do infact release a new server, it shouldn't be any later than March since that's when the anniversary comes around. Most people seem to be hoping for a new progression server (a server that starts with no expansions, and unlocks them as soon as certain objectives are met) with longer time-locks per expansion.

Anyway, long story short, you could always join the new server band-wagon with the rest of us and experience the fresh server feeling once again, if and when it's ever released ;). I'm pretty hopeful they'll discuss it at the next Dev chat, so you should keep up-to-date with the Everquest site.

I think a new server would be by far, the best experience for you, and everyone else who's thinking of returning, for that matter.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

• candygirl6candygirl6 Member Posts: 412

EQ is dead.

The majority of EQ players bot a second and third toon to play because zones are so empty. Do not come back. And I do mean the majority, this isn't a joke, the majority plays multiple toons at once.

There have been constant daily server crashes too, some servers crash 2 or 3 times a day. A lot of people have left in the last months because of that too.

Honestly, there is noone left to play with, and that is when you are lvl 80 (max). You are lvl 52.

I left EQ, and it was the right choice. Do not come back to EQ because you had fond memories of it, treasure the memories and move on to another game where you can experience it.

• Originally posted by candygirl6

EQ is dead.

The majority of EQ players bot a second and third toon to play because zones are so empty. Do not come back. And I do mean the majority, this isn't a joke, the majority plays multiple toons at once.

There have been constant daily server crashes too, some servers crash 2 or 3 times a day. A lot of people have left in the last months because of that too.

Honestly, there is noone left to play with, and that is when you are lvl 80 (max). You are lvl 52.

I left EQ, and it was the right choice. Do not come back to EQ because you had fond memories of it, treasure the memories and move on to another game where you can experience it.

This post is completely incorrect!

EQ is not dead - many people still play(on The Combine at least) and more join all the time.

The majority of players do not box.

I have been playing on The Combine server since july 2006 and have experienced almost no crashes.

There are many players to be found, albeit because of the overwhelming number of zones, they would mostly be found in the hotzones.

EQ is still a lot of fun with extraordinary content and a great community.

• candygirl6candygirl6 Member Posts: 412

Originally posted by Gjorgi

Originally posted by candygirl6

EQ is dead.

This post is completely incorrect!

EQ is not dead - many people still play(on The Combine at least) and more join all the time.

The majority of players do not box.

I have been playing on The Combine server since july 2006 and have experienced almost no crashes.

There are many players to be found, albeit because of the overwhelming number of zones, they would mostly be found in the hotzones.

EQ is still a lot of fun with extraordinary content and a great community.

haha, lies.

Servers crash daily......proof.....

Server Name      World Up Time       

Combine            06:20:50                 

Rathe                06:20:42 

Saryrn               06:20:25

Zek                    06:20:24                  

A.Bayle              03:20:35

Tribunal             03:12:30

Drinal                03:01:45

Quellious           03:00:15

Xegony              02:23:10

Druzzil               02:04:35 

Tunare               02:02:01

Luclin                 01:08:50

E-Marr                01:05:15

7th Hammer       01:04:30

Povar                 01:02:40               

Cazic                  01:01:43

Maelin               00:13:58    

F.V                     00:12:45 

BristleBroke       00:09:01

Bertoxx              00:08:37

Fennin Ro           00:06:20

Stromm               00:06:00 

Nameless           00:02:25 

Prexus                00:02:12

The majority does box.

There are not many players around. (the highest packet)The highest lvl zones have 4 or less people on peak hours.

Stop spreading lies, it's pathetic.

• MaastaMaasta Member UncommonPosts: 69

LMAO proof?!

Best  angry ex-EQ'erl in awhile. Thanks for the laughs, keep it up, I wish to see more "proof".

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by candygirl6

Originally posted by Maasta

LMAO proof?!
    Best  angry ex-EQ'erl in awhile. Thanks for the laughs, keep it up, I wish to see more "proof".
    No thanks, I won't give any more proof,

Keep playing your empty crack game without me. Bye.

You're right about the contant server crashes (only on certain servers, and it's being worked on as we speak) but as for the population being "empty" you're sadly mistaken. I guess if you did nothing but roam the old newbie area, I could understand your absurd point-of-view, but who really does that these days?

I don't normally even comment on stuff like this, but after seeing some of your other ridiculous posts I just couldn't resist.

Please, stop misinforming people about this game. It has it's problems yes, and servers have been crashing alot lately, but I'm sure it'll be ironed out soon enough. The population stuff you keep spouting though is just slander.