Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to get excited for MEO, however buzz seems to be going elsewhere

Hi all, Im a really big LOTR fan. Ive read the books (including the Hobbit) several times. Ive seen the movies many times as well. Even had a LOTR marathon movie party where my friends and I watched all 3 (two were extended editions) on my widescreen 65' High Definition television. What Im wondering is...

1.) Why so few posts on this game here ? I see hundreds of posts on EQ2 and WoW. Are those games supposed to be better ? To me, WoW graphics look the same as MEO. And EQ2 is made by SOE, possibly the worst, most greedy, lying, releasing games too soon, awful customer support company out there. See SWG forum if you're unfamiliar with how SOE is screwing over its players. I dont know much about Turbine so perhaps this is the issue ?

2.) Will this game offer anything different than a typical EQ type game ? I read another post that mentioned something about Orcs breaking down a door to attack you ?

3.) Has beta started ? And if so, anybody care to share first impressions with us ?

4.) What should I expect as far as player populations go ? Im leary about playing a game with very few others around. I read that 50k population is considered a success. I played Horizons and might have stuck it out longer than a month but there was just nobody playing. Im worried if I do try this game out, Ill be by myself while everyone else goes to EQ2 and WoW. 

Finally, I really hope this game does well and gathers a player population bigger than SWG (Where I was playing). After all its a mmorpg. I just dont see why EQ2 is getting the love it is with the way SOE treats its players and the way it dropped the ball with SWG. WoW I can partly understand some buzz at Blizzard is good at what it does. However, Warcraft 3 wasn't that great and it still has a lot of good buzz on it (game of the year, etc). I just didnt see what was so special, looked like command & conquer with worse graphics, limited map movement, and pretty bad graphics for a "game of the year"

Comments

• pokethis30pokethis30 Member Posts: 55
    I agree with all the people that read the books and now with the movies there should be more interest.Guess all the talking is done at their official forums.Guess we are not good enough for them.

MY KINGDOM FOR BETA

• TyveilTyveil Member Posts: 201

Originally posted by admriker444

1.) Why so few posts on this game here ? I see hundreds of posts on EQ2 and WoW. Are those games supposed to be better ? To me, WoW graphics look the same as MEO. And EQ2 is made by SOE, possibly the worst, most greedy, lying, releasing games too soon, awful customer support company out there. See SWG forum if you're unfamiliar with how SOE is screwing over its players. I dont know much about Turbine so perhaps this is the issue ?
    MEO online is a lot further from release than those 2 games.  SOE has a bigger following with EQ which is generating a lot of EQ2 hype.  Blizzard games always generate a lot of hype because of Blizzards reputation for releasing games of very high quality (few or no bugs, etc), not alpha products, which never happens with MMORPGs.  People are expecting their quality to carry over to their first venture into a MMORPG.
    2.) Will this game offer anything different than a typical EQ type game ? I read another post that mentioned something about Orcs breaking down a door to attack you ?
    I don't know enough about the game to answer this question.  I do know enough about Turbine to tell you I will be playing this game.  I just don't get over-hyped about a game early (espescially MMO's).
    3.) Has beta started ? And if so, anybody care to share first impressions with us ?
    Not that I know of.  And if it has, the testers would likely not be able to tell you about it.
    4.) What should I expect as far as player populations go ? Im leary about playing a game with very few others around. I read that 50k population is considered a success. I played Horizons and might have stuck it out longer than a month but there was just nobody playing. Im worried if I do try this game out, Ill be by myself while everyone else goes to EQ2 and WoW. 
    Do not worry about the player population for MEO.  The franchise name alone guarantees it will have plenty of players, and I think that Turbine will do a much better job than they did with AC2 in keeping those players.  They really are a great company that has the best vision for MMO's.  They made a mistake with AC2, which I believe was heavily influenced by their relationships with Microsoft, who they are not in bed with on this one.  They've proven that they are dedicated to quality, long-lasting MMO's, by the long-life of AC1 (to be followed next year with an expansion pack) and the drastic turnaround of AC2.

• bart.pietersbart.pieters Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by admriker444

Bart: There is HUGE community on the official forums. 90,000 members and over half a million of posts. It's just that community here is a bit low....
    I have good experiences with Turbine.... for what it's worth :)
    Bart: there is a number of things I really like about the game. In comparison with other LotR games you can explore the whole of Middle-earth and not just the thin sliver the fellowship went through! Also the world will be HUGE. Crossing the initial release alone takes 10 hours to run!
    Quests decissions multibranch and depending on your decissions you will slide on the scale between virtuous and corrupt (corrupt is not equal to evil btw, it's more egocentric.... the goal justifying the ends sort of thing) and depending on that you will become a certain subclass geting access to specific skills and cities.
    MEO will have instancing technology, like some other games, so that you will not have too much troubles because of camping. But! in addition to that they will also use the technology to let you have permanent effects on the gaming world.... at least the gaming world as you view it.  For instance there could be a quest to repair some old Dunedain statue near Fornost when you finish it and you pass it by, you get to see a nicely repaired statue whereas players who have not ended the quest still see the ruined statue. Also the skill system is very nice but that takes a little longer to explain.
    Bart: Nope. However on August the 7th there is a Turbine fan meeting and during the fan meet 50 beta accounts are given away. I am hoping that is a sign that beta is not too far away.
    Bart: I hope it will be big success.... there are plenty of people from all over the world playing the game....

• GambinoGambino Member Posts: 31

The only reason this board is slow, is because everyone is at the official forums. Turbine is in my opinion, the best developer in the MMO gaming world, so I'm pretty confident that this will be a very successful game. The game itself is a year away from release, so it won't be getting too much attention until the dev's start releasing more information.

I don't like coming to these boards too often, becuase they are full of kids who say WoW or EQ2 is dA bOmB and are so fixated on repeating this phrase, that they try to flame anyone who says different. Look, it seems like you know just about nothing when it comes to this game, so you are very skeptical. Maybe if you went to the official forums, you might learn something. You might also learn that this game will be a lot different from all the other MMO's out there. Even the kinships (other name for guild or clan) are different. Almost all of them so far are a roleplaying kinship; each of them roleplaying a certain group of people. They don't want to be the l33t clans that want to dominate the server with their l33tness, but are trying to immerse themselves in the world of Middle-earth.

Originally posted by Gambino
    ...the fact that this is Lord of the Rings, and not some world thought up in some developer's head. Tolkien's works add up to over ten thousand pages from the past decades by one man. He created an amazing world, and Turbine is following their designing process to the letter. They are tring to focus on bringing Middle-earth to life, the way Tolkien envisioned it. If you want to immerse yourself in a world unlike any other, Middle-earth Online is the one. Travel to the official forums to learn more if you wish, there are already over 80,000 registerd members there and the game is a year away from release. They are removing the level grinding system that the old and new mmo's use, and implementing a way to advance without killing endless amounts of enemies to progress. The game itself will take over ten hours to run across from East to West, and all of that space will be filled with a living, breathing world where you can explore lands the movies never showed, talk to people you have always wanted to meet (Tom Bombadil!). So far, you can be a dwarf, hobbit, elf, or man. Just imaging living the simple life of a hobbit in your hole in the Shire! Plant your gardens, hold parties, join the nightly gossip at the local pub, or try and make an adventure of your own. If you're a dwarf, you'll could be mining the finest ores in the earth, building great halls, holding massive feasts, retaking Moria, exploring mountains, smithing the finest weapons! Elves will be the only race that doesn't use money. Instead, they will be using a trading system, which is what they actually did in the books. Imagine exploring Lindon, Mirkwood, the Grey Havens, Rivendell, or Lothlorien. The Elves built great cities, crafted some of the finest weapons, and wore the fairest clothes of all the land. They were wise, living countless years of their immortal lives... and you can be one of them before they all leave for the Blessed Realm! The humans will be the most diversified race of the four, and will probably have the most classes and therefore will probably be the most poplular. Roleplay one of the Dunedain, slay foul orcs in the name of good, travel the lands on great quests, or join Gondor and Rohan (yes, there will be horses) in their struggle against Mordor.You can also follow the corrupt path, doing bad deeds, killing innocent people. You will do whatever is neccessary to complete your task without hesitation. Your character may find great power, but there is always a price to pay. For one thing, you won't be allowed to find the haven Rivendell in the mountains unless you are of the good alignment.This is but the tip of the iceburg, but I hope it sis enough to explain what makes MEO so good.

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526
    I didnt realize the game was so far away from release. Thought it was maybe coming out by January. I will definitely check their official forums then. Thanks all for posting info on the game, it sounds fantastic.