Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I have your attention please? Questions.

MacksumMacksum Member Posts: 49

I've never seemed to catch on the Eve pheremones the one time I trialed it about a year ago for 15 minutes.  It seemed like complete garbage.  You can't fly from the cockpit? No first person? Is there something I'm missing about this game?

Comments

• gholstongholston Member Posts: 83

Are you serious? I'm really hoping this is a joke, somehow mocking people who really HAVE tried the game for like 15 minutes and then make some sweeping judgement...

seeing how you look to be an older fella, I would hope you have developed more of an attention span by now. But if not, God help you.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

This thread lacks a point.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

If those are your complaints about the game, then I hate to say it but go play something else.  EVE is not for you.  It isn't, and will never be a twitch game.  Sorry if people will jump all over you for this, but this thread seems like just another 'same old same old' troll thread.  It's pretty obvious that you haven't done any reading about the game before posting this thread, and I would have thought that a poster that had been around as long as you have that you would have had a bit more knowledge about a game so commonly discussed as this one.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

EVE ships do not have cockpits they are to big, small single seat fighters like X wings have cockpits but a 1 kilometer long ship has a bridge.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

Eve ships don't have bridges or cockpits, you're a pod pilot, which means your body is in a capsule and the ship's sensors and controls functions are directly linked to your nervous system.  Ships still have a (much smaller) crew but all they do is maintenance functions.

http://www.eve-online.com/background/eggers/

As for first person, R&D on a process that will allow us to freely link/unlink from our capsules whenever we want in nearing completion, look for us to finally be able to walk around in our ships and stations sometime in the new year.

• swaindaddyswaindaddy Member Posts: 155

I am with the OP. I am sure there is some amazing gameplay at the higher levels of the game as you all claim, however: when new people try it out and realize that you

1. You have to click to move. CLICK to move!!! I have control of a spaceship and I have to click to move!!!??? Please.

2. Have no connection to the ship that is your avatar (like cockpit views or first person views etc.) the major disaster is the time you spend on making your avatar's picture only to find out it is just that: all it is is a picture  on your screen the entire game.

3. Combat is boring at the low levels - sure "It gets better" but who wants to play a game that isn't fun at the start?

Maybe they will focus on making a game fun to start with and then they will get subs. I doubt it.

The best part is when a guy comes here to ask what he is missing and the community rakes him over the coals about it. Probably an indicator of whether or not you should play the game.

• phantom195phantom195 Member Posts: 37

At first I was a bit puzzled by your thread.

If it's an attempt at making  fun of those who whine about EvE without even trying the game... well i think you should add more sarcasm and a few good jokes.

But if it's not .... wow !!!

Trying EvE for 15 minutes ? How is that even possible ? In 15 minutes you can barely create a char and follow the very first steps of the tutorial. So no, you didn't try EvE Online. You installed it and just made sure the game was working.

If you only had 15 minutes to evaluate EvE why didn't you try a Tarot reading or even Mayan astrology ? The results couldn't have been worse :)

Fortunately i managed to solve the puzzle.

I read your thread here : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/160808

And this is even better that this thread. You make fun of TR and call it weaksauce based on the game's trailer !!! It doesn't get more superficial than this ! But again if it's an attempt at humor then....well, let's say, i didn't laugh as hard as you.

As a final note, you said you were silent for several years before starting to post. How about going back to silent mode for a couple more years ? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

Originally posted by phantom195

If it's an attempt at making  fun of those who whine about EvE without even trying the game... well i think you should add more sarcasm and a few good jokes.
    Trying EvE for 15 minutes ? How is that even possible ? In 15 minutes you can barely create a char and follow the very first steps of the tutorial. So no, you didn't try EvE Online. You installed it and just made sure the game was working.
    If you only had 15 minutes to evaluate EvE why didn't you try a Tarot reading or even Mayan astrology ? The results couldn't have been worse :)

And this is even better that this thread. You make fun of TR and call it weaksauce based on the game's trailer !!! It doesn't get more superficial than this ! But again if it's an attempt at humor then....well, let's say, i didn't laugh as hard as you.
    As a final note, you said you were silent for several years before starting to post. How about going back to silent mode for a couple more years ? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

If thats your idea of fun - great. I would rather play a game than try to solve a puzzle LOL

Originally posted by Sheista

If those are your complaints about the game, then I hate to say it but go play something else.  EVE is not for you.  It isn't, and will never be a twitch game.  Sorry if people will jump all over you for this, but this thread seems like just another 'same old same old' troll thread.  It's pretty obvious that you haven't done any reading about the game before posting this thread, and I would have thought that a poster that had been around as long as you have that you would have had a bit more knowledge about a game so commonly discussed as this one.

He will and many others will as well. That's the point.

• PegasusJFPegasusJF Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by swaindaddy I am with the OP. I am sure there is some amazing gameplay at the higher levels of the game as you all claim, however: when new people try it out and realize that you

You can have some amazing gameplay right off the bat, my first month I was in 0.0 making friends and making isk.

Originally posted by swaindaddy 1. You have to click to move. CLICK to move!!! I have control of a spaceship and I have to click to move!!!??? Please.

You're too tied up with the various sci fi arcade fighter simulators that exist. Nothing wrong with them, but EVE is entirely different. For one thing, you don't fly fighters in this game, you fly capital ships. Akin to carriers, Battleships and frigates in our modern navies.

Do you really want to control a massive ship with a joystick? I think the click to move is the best implementation for the milleu this game exists in.

Originally posted by swaindaddy 2. Have no connection to the ship that is your avatar (like cockpit views or first person views etc.) the major disaster is the time you spend on making your avatar's picture only to find out it is just that: all it is is a picture on your screen the entire game.

No connection, it's a matter of persecptive. I name every ship I own that's larger than a newb ship. Many I've had for a long time. Many ships bring memories when I recall their names.

I'll give you an example.

One ship I used to have was a Rupture class Cruiser named "Sic Semper Tyrannis" Latin for "Thus shall it be for tyrants" IIRC. It was my first ship of that class in my 0.0 home. It was meant to fight this aggressive alliance named "Curse Alliance," but regretably her first combat was agasint the Confederation of Free Stars, the alliance which allowed me to enter 0.0. She was destroyed by a former corp mate.

That is only one ship that is noteworthy to me.

About the avatars, well, CCP is working on ambulation, but considering it's not the center of the gameplay, it's not really important.

Originally posted by swaindaddy 3. Combat is boring at the low levels - sure "It gets better" but who wants to play a game that isn't fun at the start?

Again, it's all what you do at first. Take risks, make friends, and go out and fight. You can fight in a frigate and be an effective fleet member, you can get effective cruisers in a month of training. EVE is not a game that hands you your fun on a platter, you have to find your fun.

Originally posted by swaindaddy Maybe they will focus on making a game fun to start with and then they will get subs. I doubt it.

Eve has 200k subs and is thriving. We're doing fine, whether you like the game or not.

Originally posted by swaindaddy The best part is when a guy comes here to ask what he is missing and the community rakes him over the coals about it. Probably an indicator of whether or not you should play the game.

We can be harsh at times but the OP did not show much knowledge on how the game runs, and his OP did sound a bit trollish. We just ask that negative posters at least giv e the game a fair 2 week shake and run the tutorial so at least they can give a informed opinion why they don't like the game.

If they don't like it, fair enough, but you need to actually try it first.

My 2 cents

Creed Richards

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

I somehow doubt you have a point.

• phantom195phantom195 Member Posts: 37

swaindaddy :

You are missing the whole point. EvE Online is working beautifully for a lot of players and that's all there is.

This is a niche game that targets and appeals to a specific audience and CCP has done a wonderful job of addressing the gaming aspirations of their target audience. EvE Online has been constantly gaining new subscribers since launch and is now at over 200,000 accounts which is great for a niche game.

No, it's not in the same league as WoW and in fact the worst thing that could happen to EvE Online imo is a massive surge of subscribers. I don't think the current game mechanics could handle several million players (but i may be wrong).

So if ppl like you and the OP don't like the game it's all good. Just try to understand that EvE isn't for you. Long time subsribers like me aren't going to unsubscribe because someone didn't like it after 15 min or because another one didn't try to understand the logic of the game.

And the game excellent reputation and constant improvements will guarantee an ever-increasing number of players (within it's niche market).

I completely second PegasusJF's answers and i must add that there's a huge difference between genuinely enquiring about a game and asking about a game you call garbage. 

As for the "puzzle" you didn't understand : it wasn't about eve it was about the op :)

The thing i really can't understand is : if someone doesn't like a game why waste his time (and ours) arguing about it on forums. There are tons of MMOs that i've tried and that i didn't like (WoW is one of them). However I respect the fact that other players like those games and I just move on. I'm wondering what these kinds of posts are meant to achieve, especially when dealing with a game that anybody can try for free for 14 days and  judge by himself.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Now I'm sure of it.

Originally posted by swaindaddy

You spent your first month of play mining and chatting LOLOLOLOL that is classic as a definition for FUN? wow - amazing.

Oh, and somehow my version of fun is less than yours? Do you trivialize the mere act of sharing your time with your corp mates or friendly locals, granted across significant distances? Do you trivialize working together for a common goal, or helping each other out? Do you trivialize the excitement in working in an area that is considered dangerous, and reaping it's riches thanks to the help of your friends? Do you trivialize making new friends, sometimes very close friends? Do you trivialize working with hundreds of people to create an alliance that is among the finest in EVE?

All that I experiened or started the path towards in my first few months of EVE (some even the first month, I joined the corp I am now in at the end of my first month), and such joys are certainly not limited to just EVE.

Even the things you consider to be insignificant, that is what got me to enjoy EVE, and to continue to enjoy it.

If you treat that with contempt, well sir, don't expect to be treated any better.

And perhaps, you can begin to understand why we get a little defensive, when people jump in here and either act or give the appearance of acting disrespectful of a game we enjoy (EDIT: Or to the people who enjoy it, which you have blatantly done). One can come here and give a reasonable discourse on why he or she doesn't like EVE and it's all good.

• FadeFade Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by swaindaddy

Originally posted by phantom195

If thats your idea of fun - great. I would rather play a game than try to solve a puzzle LOL

learn to read.  The "puzzle" refers to the OPs reasoning for making these threads not the game as you mistakenly assumed.

proud member of BKB http://www.bkbhq.com/

• MacksumMacksum Member Posts: 49

Look at you guys, going off.  Settle down children.  But I mean serious, any other game that has trials you'll know how the game is in 15 minutes.  Why would you wanna fight in space if it's not arcade style?  You guys know that first person dog fights out in space are billy badass.  EV E online is actually like an RPG...  Sure your community is sweet and the pvp might keep you interested.  But combat blegh

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898
    Originally posted by Macksum

Look at you guys, going off.  Settle down children.  But I mean serious, any other game that has trials you'll know how the game is in 15 minutes.  Why would you wanna fight in space if it's not arcade style?  You guys know that first person dog fights out in space are billy badass.  EV E online is actually like an RPG...  Sure your community is sweet and the pvp might keep you interested.  But combat blegh

While I probably would not have stated it that way, I have to agree with your premise.  I loved everything about EVE minus the combat (Which is the main reason I play MMORPG's.  Combat for me consisted of clicking on a target and clicking all the weapons on my hot bar.  EVE is a great game but it just couldn't hold my attention. 

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

in 15 minutes time, i've probably not had enough time to finish the tutorial/starter/learning area in any game.  i'm not one for wasting huge amounts of time in a game that doesn't seem fun, but i DO give them at LEAST a week or two *cough* tabula rasa *cough*, before i give up on them.

when i first started UO, i thought there was this crazy NPC guy that hung out just north of brit, whose sole purpose was to kill anything within 100 mile radius.  after a couple of days of dying to this crazy NPC, i learned that the glowing red npc was a "murderer"... ahh, the joys of being new to a game a decade ago.

anywho, based on you stating, more than once, that you spent a whole 15 minutes playing, i find it hard to think you could have an opinion on anything about eve.

combat/pvp is one of the areas that (even according to the devs) needs a lot more work.  every patch/update, it seems they're trying something new and trying to make the combat fun.  eve is a big pvp/combat game and it's pvp/combat system is rather suck-tastic (don't take my word for it, take it from the devs, as you can see in the dev blogs even).

i'm hoping the avatar system gets implemented soon, and that it expands quite rapidly.  the way ccp does things, it's either going to be "hanging out in stations at the bar" for the next five years or within the next year, there will be everything possible up to, and including, planet colonization (so you can grow medicinal herbs and such).

again, depending on how the avatar "stuff" is implemented, this game could pick up all the disgruntled SWG players, plus whatever star wars/babylon 5/star trek/firefly/etc fans that have to make-do with project entropia and the uberly-dorked SWG.

honestly, i can see avatars added, and expanded upon in a quick fashion, making this game as big as thegamethatisnottobementionedbecauseitmaysuckyoursoulintohellforeternity.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• NarsheNarshe Member Posts: 563

Yes PVE combat is extremely tedious at lower level missions, where an agent sends you to rambo down waves of weak ships and all you really need to do is click orbit and pick off targets, but it gets more complex and I found it thrilling when I first started, testing out different ships and weapons and ammo, reading guides and learning what to train, getting help in Rookie Channel and making some friends right away... I really wish I could go back to being a complete newbie to EVE. Christ, I even had a blast just flying around and listening to the awesome music.

Ambulation is coming for avatars and station interiors, but there'll never be first-person space combat in the game, they'd have to redesign everything. And really the best way to fight is with the tactical grid or zoomed out, so its not needed.

Anyway, if you're looking for twitch, stay tuned for Jumpgate Evolution. Might be exactly what you're looking for.

Waiting for Fallen Earth, World of Darkness, Old Republic, FFXIV

• MajorBiggsMajorBiggs Member UncommonPosts: 709

It is definitely a different type of space game. But don't let it get you down. It is a shame that it isn't to your tastes, but i'm sure something like it will come out...............later lol. Try Vendetta or Jumpgate. They might be what you're looking for. I think Vendetta is skill-based and is twitch-based like an FPS.

But yeah, EVE is kinda like an RTS. It takes a different kind of thinking to be good in combat (meaning survive) and other parts of the game. Alot of these posters here sound like ass-tightened fanboys "if you dont like our game you're a dumb fuck who doesnt understand anything". They're not going to help with subscriptions, but then again, do they really need more lol.

I agreed with you on your first impression of the game. I tried the trial a year ago and i said blegh. I tried it again at the beginning of december, and i REALLY TRIED to catch on, and I did. It's much different than any other MMO, but I have to say it is very fun, and I do feel satisfaction with my character because he grows over time, even when im not online. Just give it another go maybe, wait as long as you have to, then try it again. Or not...whatever you wanna do mate

Look at you guys, going off. Settle down children. But I mean serious, any other game that has trials you'll know how the game is in 15 minutes. Why would you wanna fight in space if it's not arcade style? You guys know that first person dog fights out in space are billy badass. EV E online is actually like an RPG... Sure your community is sweet and the pvp might keep you interested. But combat bleghimage

That is not necessarily true, there are many games that have a lot of hidden depth that takes some digging to discover yet they are very enjoyable and worthy games. (Simulations and some strategy games come to mind as examples).

EVE's combat also has some hidden depth, and while I agree with you a more X-Wing-ish MMO would be very nice (Vendetta Online is an example, if only if it'll get more subscribers). EVE's combat engine has it's subtleties, you just need to get into some small fleet actions and learn the details.

Such depth cannot be found in 15 minutes.

• ravnosdaeravnosdae Member UncommonPosts: 2

Eve is a for those that are mature, have patience, and have more of a attention span of a fish. The click controls are there to make things simple and not need another input device. The arcade style of other games remind me more of platform games for children than a adult computer game.

I'm sorry to hear that some did not like it. It is a game not for everyone and like someone said, we like it like that. We don't want everyone playing this wonderful & beautiful game, with it's hidden subtleties. Even in high sec, there are hidden complexes to explore. This is no arcade game where you can just be in the action in 5 mintues. I understand those games and they require no thinking. Eve requires thinking, a lot of planning,  a cynical demeanor, and a good sense of sarcasm & irony.

All of us who are on and have played more than 6 months know the true depth about this "sandbox". I say sandbox, because it is not scripted and you are led down a tunnel. You do what you want, whenever you want. You are responsible for your actions. You are responsible for your own & sometimes corporations(guild) & alliance's livelihood & well being. It builds friendships, competitors, and even enemies. It may take time, but those willing to stick it out, the rewards are amazing and extra-ordinary. The fact that you & your mates have achieved something against others is more satisfying than going on missions and grinding for the best loot. Don't get me wrong there's that as well, but 0.0 is where the real game is at.

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

I've never seemed to catch on the Eve pheremones the one time I trialed it about a year ago for 15 minutes.  It seemed like complete garbage.  You can't fly from the cockpit? No first person? Is there something I'm missing about this game?

this is not the game you think it is

honestly, it's as idiotic as starting TF2 and wondering why there is no solo adventure. scifi can be more than a fps or twitch space sim, take homeworld for example.

also if you call a game garbage in a forum for that game you are a troll.

thank goodness you don't play eve.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

Originally posted by ravnosdae

Eve is a for those that are mature, have patience, and have more of a attention span of a fish. The click controls are there to make things simple and not need another input device. The arcade style of other games remind me more of platform games for children than a adult computer game.
    I'm sorry to hear that some did not like it. It is a game not for everyone and like someone said, we like it like that. We don't want everyone playing this wonderful & beautiful game, with it's hidden subtleties. Even in high sec, there are hidden complexes to explore. This is no arcade game where you can just be in the action in 5 mintues. I understand those games and they require no thinking. Eve requires thinking, a lot of planning,  a cynical demeanor, and a good sense of sarcasm & irony.
    All of us who are on and have played more than 6 months know the true depth about this "sandbox". I say sandbox, because it is not scripted and you are led down a tunnel. You do what you want, whenever you want. You are responsible for your actions. You are responsible for your own & sometimes corporations(guild) & alliance's livelihood & well being. It builds friendships, competitors, and even enemies. It may take time, but those willing to stick it out, the rewards are amazing and extra-ordinary. The fact that you & your mates have achieved something against others is more satisfying than going on missions and grinding for the best loot. Don't get me wrong there's that as well, but 0.0 is where the real game is at.
    i wouldnt say u need to be so much as maturity. i dont think maturity comes into the equation. patience? yes definitely, everything else u said is pretty much nailed down on short and sweet point. but to say u need to mature is a bit vague. I played the game for roughly 6months  of gameplay got to almost t2 gallente. ( think i was up to T2 drones) i just left cause well frankly I ran out of patience, got a bit boring for me, so you are right, you need to have tolerance for this game, you need to have patience, but not so much an attention span. I think the game is either a love it or hate it type of a deal, with a bit in between.

i love the game for its originality, and scifi feel, but i hate that its too open, too sandboxy, as I find little to do, other than gate camping, corp politics, talking smack on the channels in local, going after nuetrals, or reds that warp into our sector. yeah it can be fun at times, but it gets long on the tooth. I left cause i need to refresh myself, I may come back but i think its always best if you find a game boring you, leave for a bit then come back fresh. but either way, good point on how the game is and what to expect. i was rather stoked i finally landed T2 drones. i just dont feel like resubbing just yet hehee, i may in a few months.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• FinwolvenFinwolven Member Posts: 289

@Nakuma:

Thank you for the most intelligent 'against' comment on this thread so far. It also shows that you did give EVE a try with six months of doing.

I'd disagree with you on the 'too sandboxy' thing, but it's a matter of preference. EVE is made to be a sandbox, and it appeals to players who like to play in a sandbox environment. I appreciate that it doesn't directly hold your attention, though. Different folks and so on...

@OP:

What you've found in your 15-minute soiree into EVE is that it's probably not the game for you. Asking what you missed, we could give you a huge list , but if the things you already listed as bothering you are accurate, it's probably pointless. EVE most likely isn't made for you.

@Other 'EVE-Haters':

Does the fact that EVE has an ever-growing subscription base threaten you? Does the existance of a sandbox-MMO annoy you? Is it a constant pain in your head that there exists a game where you do not have to be online 24/7 to raid and grind xp, and where doing 'quests' isn't the only (or even preferable) method of self-advancement?

From much of the posts on this forum in general, it would seem so. The mere fact that someone dares to do something 'different' from the standard mold like CCP has done is like a slap to your face, it seems. And, just so you understand, not a month goes by that doesn't see 'suggestions' on these forums and EVE-O forums that would turn EVE into what is basically another Lineage/EQ/WoW/KoreanMMO-clone.

I'm not saying EVE is perfect, far from it. But the issues that bother me in EVE are so far beyond the people who've 'played it for 15 minutes' or 'did the trial once/twice/15 times' that it's not even funny. And what it still is, is the best space MMO currently running. There just isn't any serious competition at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.