Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Play wow and be active

ID10TID10T Member Posts: 110
OK I think I got!!!!!

So I have been watching my wow Friends get fatter and fatter, and I have to omit I have gained about 12LB, because I get off work from my nice comfortable office and go home and sometimes WOW for hours on end sitting on my butt. So I am on a mission to get rid of the FAT WOWBERT stigma. “just made that up hehe”

I was talking to one of my friends and he said the Doctor told him he needs to be standing way more throughout the day (I won’t go into why, but the old gamers might know what I am talking about), so he configured his desk so he can stand and game. So at that very moment something triggered in my head. That’s a awesome idea cause this Nintendo WII things is really taking off, but because it doesn’t do MMO’s or strategy games it would be a waste of my money, but imagine if you can game standing up instead of sitting on your butt!!!!.

So I am taken some time off over the holidays and I plan on re-configuring my desk area so I can stand and Play wow but I need to play it efficiently because I love PVP’ing.

So this is my Idea and of course this is my Crude beta Game standing thingy.

1.     I am going to take my N52 Belkin game pad and build something around it so it is stable and I can reach all my buttons and use the turning buttons on the side. I will kind of strap it to my hand.

2.    Because I am an I.T guy Extreme I have a full height Server Rack. I am going to move my 24” monitor 4” above eye level standing.

3.    Because I still need to mouse I will put the keyboard tray ergonomically level with my forearm.

4.    I really don’t use my Keyboard much but I plan to have it about 6 to 8 U’s above my mouse.

5.    Because I am still trying to finish my basement in my new house I will have to go to something like Wal-Mart and get a rubber mat to stand on, maybe wear running shoes so my feet won’t hurt. I know the first week my feet will kill me but I believe I will get used to it fast, like when I was a kid working in a warehouse.

6.    I am going to remove all the chairs for the basement so it won’t give me chance to sit down. Human nature dictates that if you see a chair you will want to sit in it when your feet start to hurt.

7.    I have one issue I need to somehow set up my spare monitor, maybe I can use the rack and stack my monitors instead of side by side. Again I will be using head movement.

I am sure some of you have thought, I love gaming but how can I be more active. The teenage won’t understand because they can sit there and lose weight but it would be the 26 to 50 age bracket I would appeal too. If you have any suggestions or have done anything yourself to change your experience please reply. The true answer would be, stop gaming and do some sports but, I like gaming so there must be a way to game and be active?????  On the 7th I will post some Picture of what I have come up with I am sure it will be Crude at best lolol. Yeah this is a crazy idea but I want to Play wow but be more active doing it. My whole configuration will be built to play wow effectually

The gaming pad I was talking about, I think I can put a Pad on the bottom and use a tensor band to hold it. will see i guess   http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=2071&pcount=&Product_Id=157024

Comments

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

You know, I had this same issue back in the day I played WoW. So, what I did is that at every boss encounter on a raid it always seemed to take 5-10 minutes to get everyone set up. Assuming I knew what I was doing, I took that time to alternate 50 pushups, 50 situps while everyone was getting set. As soion as I heard the "Ready" Dong. I got up and we hit the boss.

HOnestly, I worked out fairly well. Not good for cardio, but Im sure it could be adjusted.

Torrential

• ID10TID10T Member Posts: 110
    I would agree with you in doing a few simple exercises while you game, but I just never get to it. I bought an elliptical that sits in the corner and I don't use it as much as I should. I am thinking about just a natural act. Removing the temptation of sitting on my butt all together I will be taking all the chairs and putting them in my garage for a while or until I get used it to. I will give it a whirl any how
  • WikkedbowtieWikkedbowtie Member Posts: 494

Do some searching, I remember about a year or so ago a guy modified his eliptical machine so he could exercise while playing. He had a pretty nice set up.

• turnipzturnipz Member Posts: 531

Doing some strength training will not lose you your gut, a proper diet will.  And cardio if you really cant stop eating. 

Think of your calory intake as a wheelbarrow, the amount your wheelbarrow holds is your basal metabolic rate, if you fill it too full the excess is stored as fat.  By doing cardio you empty your wheelbarrow a small amount.  The idea is to eat enough that you dont overfill it, or even try to underfill it so you can lose weight.

Weight training will burn miniscule amounts but you need something that gets your heart rate up to make it worthy of losing weight, and dont forget that toning is a myth and doesnt actually exist.  Crunches will not "tone" your stomache.

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772

erm why not go play a sport or exercise. Standing will not get you fit you will still get fat, and if your doctor really told you that you need to stand more tell him to go back to school because he sounds like an Idiot.

wow you guys don't read, I have only gain 12 pounds i weigh 208 and i stand 6 foot. I still fit in my 34's jeans. please stay on topic., everyone knows playing sport is better i really don't think i ever disputed that lol. this blog is about standing and gaming instead of sitting on your butt. it is not about your eating intake or wieght lifting and so on.. I just got back from skiing in Panarama so yes i do sports lol. The TEMP is -20c so playing soccer when there is 18cm of snow on the ground is not a option for me. I don't think i have givien much info on my life style or even how much i eat. i bet you assumed i was 300lb and could run 3KM's

back to the story

I have been doing it for two days now, i will admit that my feet hurt. I have a carpet down then a throw rug and i am also wearing runners. but i can stand for about 4 to 5 hours after that i am done. i have cheated  a bit,, while i was waiting for AV to come up i sat down a couple of times. remove the chairs was too hard. i am keep honest in standing 99% of the time. i am even standing when typing this msg.

I have configured my gaming center extremely ergo. PVP I still rock and rarely beatable. i don't believe i have scarficed anything gaming wise.

I am interested on some RAIDING now. you know that can be slow some times so will see how that is. but i am guessing that i will walk around like i do when i am waiting for PVP or other things.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

dance dance mat.

Assign the keys to WoW.

• iddmitriiddmitri Member UncommonPosts: 671

Sorry to say but that is just stupid. Go out and jog for at least 10-15 minutes a day - problem solved. Standing in front of the computer won't solve any problems. If you are so desperate, buy treadmill and attach laptop to it. You will be able to exercise and play your favorite game at the same time.

• ewinewin Member Posts: 22

My friend's Dad who is in his 50's plays WoW.  He's also a karate instructor etc......

He rigged up his system on a stand in front of his treadmill so that he could run/walk while playing.  It was pretty funny to see, but hey -- it's definitely healthier than just sitting in a chair.

So last night i was so tired that i couldn't stay up past 10 Pm and i wanted to raid but couldn't . I contribute this to standing and gaming. No i wasn't working out or doing anytning out of the odinary, just a simple day

it is almost like a arcade game in a style now. some of you may say that standing and gaming is gay, and or dumb. instead of shoot off your mouth  i challenge you or anyone to set up your rig and play your games standing up. I bet you find it much harder than you think. I am really curious to hear if anyone attempt this. but i would really like to hear from the people that last longer than 3 to 6 days. If you do it try to set it up as ergo as possible. Don't even try it with out something for your feet.

I know this blog is really crazy but i really want a few people to try this and tell me about what you have done to make it eazier and how you feel. The extreme gamers that play longer than 6 hour every day would be much better but i will willing to take any info.

• 0k210k21 Member Posts: 866

Go and buy a Wii?

Quoting people doesn't make you clever, in fact, it makes you all the more stupid for not bothering to read the quotes you post in the first place.

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

How about game on a treadmill?

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• wenrjieewenrjiee Member Posts: 42

Contoll my own time, go out of playing passively. I contribute this to standing and gaming. 

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Just standing isnt going to do much to help you be more fit. It will help on your joints ect but do nothing as far as loosing weight/being fit. For that you actually have to do something besides just stand there. I actually have a treadmill setup that lets me do PvE or consol gaming while i jog.

• XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

Turn off your PC, go to some parties, run around the block, just get some fresh air once in a while dude.

No annoying animated GIF here!