Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth Video Thread

WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178

Please keep in mind that the graphics shown in older videos have been re-vamped by Icarus Studios during the development of this game!

Interviews, reports and previews:

Fallen Earth Exclusive Video: In this video Lee Hammock, lead designer of Fallen Earth, shows mogarmy's Ryan Verniere some of the  basic gameplay elements.  Other things that are discussed are character creation, in-game travel, the skill system, the story, factions, etc etc.  This is probably one of the most informing videos out there at the moment so be sure to check it out!  This is just the first part, click on the following links for the other 3 parts:  2, 3 , 4

GDC 2007: Another video brought to us by mogarmy. This time we actually get to see a glimpse of the character creation options and the first part of the tutorial. Just as the video posted above, this one is prety informative. For the uncut version, click here.

otalMMO: A totalmmo episode that feautures a small preview of Fallen Earth (at 2:10)

Mmorpg.com interview with Lee Hammock: This is our very own News Manager Keith Cross interviewing Lee Hammock for mmorpg.com.

Fallen Earth Gen Con 2007:  A lenghty video about FE, made at the gen con 2007.

Interview for TCS:   Wes Platt, writer for the game, presents Fallen Earth in an interview with Al Giovetti for The Computer Show. Part 2, part 3  (2/3/09)

G4TV interview: A interview held with Lee Hammock for G4TV. Date: 03/09

MMORPG.com series (very informative!)

Fallen Earth Part I: Getting Started after the Apocalypse: Lee Hammock, Fallen Earth's Lead Game Designer was on hand at GDC to give us an information rich tour through the early stages of this post-apocalyptic MMORPG. In part one he provides an overview of the setting, and guides us through the basics of character creation and the starting tutorial.

Fallen Earth Part II: Tutorial, Gear, and Combat: In part two of our look at Fallen Earth with Lead Game Designer Lee Hammock we learn about the starting tutorial, combat, skills, weapons, equipment, and looting corpses.

Fallen Earth Part III: UI, Factions, and PvP: In part three of our look at Fallen Earth with Lead Game Designer Lee Hammock, he tells us about the game's factions, customizable UI, and PvP.

Fallen Earth Part IV: Crafting Cars, Bullets, and Horse Feed: In part four of our look at Fallen Earth, Lead Game Designer Lee Hammock introduces us to the game’s crafting system, which is important because after the apocalypse you have to make your own bullets and brew your own gasoline.

Official trailers, teasers and promo's made by Icarus Studios:

Gameplay trailer: Newest gameplay trailer. Released: 3/26/09.

Dance video:  A video showcasing some of the available in-game dances.  Feb,2009.

Faction teaser:  The latest teaser from Icarus Studios. Released in January, 2009.

Updated Fallen Earth trailer:  Posted on the official website on May 27, 2008

We are survivors: Posted on the official website on September 5, 2007

A typical day: posted on the official website on January 9, 2007.  It believe its much older tho...

First FE video: The first official trailer that was released by icarus studios. Made in 2005.

E3 2004: A promotion video that was made by Icarus Studios for the E3 2004.

Fallen Earth promo: Another promo made by icarus studios. I don't know the release date of this one.

Fallen Earth preview: Another pre-revamp video released by Icarus. It probably got released somewhere in 2005?

Concept art:  A video showing us a few concept art pictures of the environment in Fallen Earth.

Fan-made videos:

World of Fallen Earth: A video made by a fan, depicting the actual size of the world with google earth.

Fallen Earth fan video 1:  random fan video.

Fallen Earth fan video 2:  random fan video.

Fallen Earth fan video 3:  random fan video.

Fallen Earth fan video 4: Another cool fan video.

Fallen Earth art revamp: Showing us some pictures of the new models. 

Misc stuff:

Icarus Studios Platform overview: Overview video of the Icarus real-time suite of tools to build massively multiplayer online games and virtual worlds.

Fallen Earth world editor demo: At this year's Austin Game Developer's Conference, News Manager Keith Cross (mmorpg.com) had the opportunity to sit down and talk with Colin Dwan, Lead Game Engineer for Fallen Earth and get a run though of their World Builder.

Icarus Studios & VIVOX:   Gamezombie.tv presents Icarus Studios/Vivox, shot on location at the Austin Game Developer's Conference 2007!

Comments

• suskesuske Member Posts: 714

nice job. hopefully it draws some attention to this cool game

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Amazing. I had only seen a few videos before. And my personal hype got really high.

After seeing this. Fallen Earth is ny new nr 1 MMO to wait for. (exept Darkfall...lol)

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Member Posts: 96

i said it before, and ill say it again...

BRING IT !

this game looks very sweet.  non-fantasy setting, huge map, sandbox...its everything that current games aren't and its what seasoned players are looking for.  Me and 6 friends are eagerly awaiting a reason to leave EQ2, and this could be it !

• raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326

I thought that their graphics looked just fine but there were some that criticized them.  I guess the devs were listening because they are working on a major overhaul of the graphics.  I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements.

Is there any official ETA on some more videos?

I get to see more of this amazing MMO.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

In a recent question of the week, the devs stated that videos would not be coming out much because of the amount of labor they require could/would be spent on adding content and polishing.

Honestly, I see this as a good thing, as the devs are getting serious about finishing the work on FE to beta and then to market.

As always, I think their answer of "It will be ready when it's ready," is a good answer and one that game developers have been all too reluctant to give. How many of the MMOs released in the last year have stunk because of being unfinished/unpolished/just plain crappy? A lot.

I agree to 100%, the devs is the ones knowing whats best for their game. Not the community or publisher. Beeing a Darkfall follower make this waiting easy : )

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Member Posts: 96

if it is true that "...devs are changing graphics due to complaints...", then this approach of "listening to the customer" may be ground breaking !

I too am in full agreement with the "it will be ready when it is ready".  A game of this scope stands a FIRM chance of de-throning WoW, EQ2 and other mainstream MMO's.  In order to be successful at becoming the best, then full attention should be paid to the product.  The dev's desire to not release videos and instead use the man-hours for polishing and development will, in itself, prove to be good marketing.  After all, most MMO's players are informed by rumor and forum posts than a mocked up video and a cool box.

All hail the FE dev team !  keep your head down and we will all look forward to paying you guys upon release...

Johnnee

P.S.:  after sending this thread to co-workers, our team has grown from 6 to 11.  we will keep the hype alive and hope to have a 20 man team ready for go-live.  most of us are analysts or developers (of business applications) but are not "friends" nor "family", so we wont make beta (but our Vancouver base will all apply for it), but we will be system-ready for release day (new laptops for everyone !)

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Originally posted by JohnnyCache

I too am in full agreement with the "it will be ready when it is ready".  A game of this scope stands a FIRM chance of de-throning WoW, EQ2 and other mainstream MMO's.

/sigh

• suskesuske Member Posts: 714

guys go check out the new question of the week! freakin' sweet!

forums.fallenearth.com/fallenearth/showthread.php

I didnt know about those. Good way you posted it : )

• W6B6PC97W6B6PC97 Member Posts: 1

In a recent question of the week, the devs stated that videos would not be coming out much because of the amount of labor they require could/would be spent on adding content and polishing.

Honestly, I see this as a good thing, as the devs are getting serious about finishing the work on FE to beta and then to market.

As always, I think their answer of "It will be ready when it's ready," is a good answer and one that game developers have been all too reluctant to give. How many of the MMOs released in the last year have stunk because of being unfinished/unpolished/just plain crappy? A lot.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by W6B6PC97

Man after my own heart.... doh... I've been forum plagiarized....

• WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178

UPDATED!

(or in other words: /shameless bump )

• Fort23Fort23 Member Posts: 3

I used to follow this game pretty closely, until they started fleshing out the factions. I find the game itself to be awesome in many ways, from what I've seen, but the factions to me are cheesy and poorly conceived, which will keep me from playing it.

• HellsMajestyHellsMajesty Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by JohnnyCache

if it is true that "...devs are changing graphics due to complaints...", then this approach of "listening to the customer" may be ground breaking !
    I too am in full agreement with the "it will be ready when it is ready".  A game of this scope stands a FIRM chance of de-throning WoW, EQ2 and other mainstream MMO's.  In order to be successful at becoming the best, then full attention should be paid to the product.  The dev's desire to not release videos and instead use the man-hours for polishing and development will, in itself, prove to be good marketing.  After all, most MMO's players are informed by rumor and forum posts than a mocked up video and a cool box.
    All hail the FE dev team !  keep your head down and we will all look forward to paying you guys upon release...
    Johnnee

P.S.:  after sending this thread to co-workers, our team has grown from 6 to 11.  we will keep the hype alive and hope to have a 20 man team ready for go-live.  most of us are analysts or developers (of business applications) but are not "friends" nor "family", so we wont make beta (but our Vancouver base will all apply for it), but we will be system-ready for release day (new laptops for everyone !)

This is an awesome looking game that i will almost certainly play. The videos posted uin this thread where very helpful and i should commend the OP oin his efforts. But please stop saying that this game or any other game will de-throne WoW. The fact that the dev team are listening to players is awesome and you should feel free to look foward to this game as much as you like. But the odds are it won't even become mainstream and it definately will not de-throne WoW, but dont worry about this because it will still be a great game and that should not stop you enjoying it, so stop caring about WoW

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

The game certainly has merits. You can imagine how buggy it is though at the end of alpha. Hell, half the content wouldnt even be properly placed. Although I imagine most of the assets are functioning at this point in some form or other. Anyways, I have my hopes for the game.

• CrelmCrelm Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by HellsMajesty

This is an awesome looking game that i will almost certainly play. The videos posted uin this thread where very helpful and i should commend the OP oin his efforts. But please stop saying that this game or any other game will de-throne WoW. The fact that the dev team are listening to players is awesome and you should feel free to look foward to this game as much as you like. But the odds are it won't even become mainstream and it definately will not de-throne WoW, but dont worry about this because it will still be a great game and that should not stop you enjoying it, so stop caring about WoW

Agreed.

WoW and Fallen Earth are completely different genres of RPGs. Dunno why the Hell people even mention them in the same sentence. FE isn't aiming to displace WoW at all, it's just trying to win in the sci-fi realm.

FE is a double project though. It's being developed to showcase the Icarus Studios Development Tools, and as an MMO that will earn some revenue. For that reason, profit is important, but it isn't the entire goal. It isn't trying to compete with WoW at all.

• WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178

Updated with a bunch of interviews, the new trailer and some miscelanious stuff.  Be sure to check it out if you haven't done so allready.

Btw mods, I was wondering if maybe this thread could be stickied, as well as a few others. There are some very informative threads out here that (combined) would make a great introduction for people who are completely new to this game.  It would be nice to atleast have a few of them, considering the fact that there are none whatsoever at the moment. Cheers :)

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

I'm not really into the post-apocolyptic genre, but I gotta say these guys really seem like they know how to make a good game. I wish more companies would take a lesson from them.  I'm probably going to end up playing this even if I'm not crazy about the genre... it looks that much better then anything waiting in the wings right now.