Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE Sale to India: 100% False, John Smedley

www.massively.com/2007/12/23/john-smedley-sony-online-is-not-getting-purchased-by-zapak/

John Smedley, CEO of SOE:

We aren't for sale and never have been. Nothing like this has ever been discussed with the Zapak guys. The truth is we were talking to them about distribution rights to one of our games. And we have no idea how this story got started.

-----
WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

Comments

• MilkyMilky Member Posts: 339
    Originally posted by truenorthbg

www.massively.com/2007/12/23/john-smedley-sony-online-is-not-getting-purchased-by-zapak/

We aren't for sale and never have been. Nothing like this has ever been discussed with the Zapak guys. The truth is we were talking to them about distribution rights to one of our games. And we have no idea how this story got started.

Why the hell should I believe a single word that comes out of Smed's mouth?  He's not exactly known for his honesty.

• blix2006blix2006 Member UncommonPosts: 415

EPIC HAHAHAHA!!!!! to who ever started this

• ThecensoredThecensored Member Posts: 79

And when has management been the first to know this? Poor guy doesn't know he's losing his job.....

• ChomaChoma Member UncommonPosts: 23

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8120&Itemid=59

Funny how that + internet  BS = Soe being sold

• Shifty360Shifty360 Member Posts: 629

Really? I had my hopes up. Oh well, I guess SOE has to come and ruin the fun again.

Can you point out the shills on this website?

I can. They all appeared at once right after Smed posted and made some phone calls.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

I missed the whole rumor thing, but good to hear. Not that SoE does much better, but I wouldn't trust an indian company with an MMO. I just don't think it would end well.

"Can you point out the shills on this website?

I can. They all appeared at once right after Smed posted and made some phone calls."

Some people can never let go of the conspiracy. We'll order up some tinfoil hats and get you back on your feet chasing the chupacabra in no time little guy.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• LordSicLordSic Member Posts: 142

I kinda assumed it was false when that idiot posted the same thing on every forum folder on the site.

• DarkentwoDarkentwo Member Posts: 160

Originally posted by Kordesh

I missed the whole rumor thing, but good to hear. Not that SoE does much better, but I wouldn't trust an indian company with an MMO. I just don't think it would end well.

I can. They all appeared at once right after Smed posted and made some phone calls."

Some people can never let go of the conspiracy. We'll order up some tinfoil hats and get you back on your feet chasing the chupacabra in no time little guy.

I'm an Indian, and I would really like to know why we Indians would be bad at running an MMO compared to western companies. Care to answer?

Hope you like Rupees, India doesn't pay in Dollars. Little guy...

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Smed denied the NGE when it leaked as well a month before it was released.  Over all I feel the issue here is not race or culture. It is what will happen to the existing games by a company that never has ran a MMORPG> usually when I hire staff I hire based on experience. When I invest in games I invest based on experience. I will predict that if this is true 2 things will happen with existing content- a 60% drop in subscriptions or this company will do a great job. However I feel based on actual experience that North American and European subscriptions will drop at a 60-80% rate when the news officially breaks on SOE's side.

I am also happy to see Inida moving forward in the world as much as I am happy to see the 1.86 billion citizens that can enjoy happiness and a middle class life that all citizens of earth deserve in all nations.

SMed- your time has come buddy - laterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah, but SOE doesn't have anything to offer. 300M is a good deal. I mean, EQ will be like a new release over there, so at least it will live on for a few more years. But I'm sure LA and DC will pull thier IPs.

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

If you still at this point, ater al these years, belive in anythign Smed says then good luck to you.

This could actually turn out for the better ( if it is true ) for games like Matrix and pretty much every game other than the Everquests as they would actually get a dev team.

Where do you think Smed would get a job if something like this happened ?  Perpetual lol ? Any mmo getting this guy is looking at a player base shinkage lol

• NaryysysNaryysys Member Posts: 117

It's kinda sad when you think about it..  SOE is going to give India a sour taste of western MMOs when/if they port their games there..  Really, they're not ALL like that!

• LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Originally posted by Milky

Originally posted by truenorthbg

Why the hell should I believe a single word that comes out of Smed's mouth?  He's not exactly known for his honesty.

yes so true.

Playing: Everthing
    Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
    I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

• MalakaiMalakai Member Posts: 147

Honestly I believe Smedley on this one.  I have read a few different articles detailing how SOE is going to create a Ramayan 3392 A.D. mmo.  In order to do this they have partnered with Sir Richard Branson and Deepak Chopra's Virgin comics to bring their India based comic book to mmorpg format.  The same indian team that worked on the comic will also work on the game.  I imagine the talks with Zapak are simply to help support and develop this new product.

Malakai

• U-TurnU-Turn Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by Darkentwo

I'm an Indian, and I would really like to know why we Indians would be bad at running an MMO compared to western companies. Care to answer?

I believe it is a cultural thing.  For example, I would have no idea what people in India really like so how can Indians know what Americans like?

Our IT industry is only moving to India due to low cost, not because Indians are better Developers.  Low price does not equal a good product.

• Anti-FanboiAnti-Fanboi Member Posts: 188

Originally posted by U-Turn

I believe it is a cultural thing. For example, I would have no idea what people in India really like so how can Indians know what Americans like?

Our IT industry is only moving to India due to low cost, not because Indians are better Developers. Low price does not equal a good product.

Nice way of showing your ignorance. This is why there are marketing and research firms established that deal with these type of issues. Seriously you really need to move out of mom's basement and get a grown up's job.

As for your IT comment. Most companies can get the type of same type of work done for less at the same level of quality if not higher in some of these countries. If they couldn't expect a certain level of quality of work then there would not be no sound economic reason to move in overseas in the first place. Any company trying to save money on wages would have their earnings offset by the need to shore up crappy workmanship. Thus this would totally negate the reason to move in the altogether.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

India's Zapak Digital Entertainment Ltd, part of the Anil Ambani-led ADAG group, is set to acquire Sony Online Entertainment for about $300 million, the Economic Times newspaper said on Sunday quoting unnamed sources.

Anil Ambani (born June 4, 1959) is an Indian businessman. As of October 6th 2007, he has a net-worth of US$45 billion, making him the 6th richest person in the world. His was the world's fastest-growing multi-billion-dollar fortune in percentage terms as his wealth tripled in 1 year. [1] Ambani is chairman of Reliance Capital, Reliance Communications and Chairman & Managing Director, Reliance Energy, and was formerly Vice Chairman and Managing Director of Reliance Industries Limited. His personal stake in Reliance Communications is 66%.

this guy wont invest 1 cent if he cant get 3 cents out of it

• And I believe anything that Smed says as far as I could throw him and his Red Bull.

• anonymousseanonymousse Member Posts: 61

Originally posted by Anti-Fanboi

I believe it is a cultural thing. For example, I would have no idea what people in India really like so how can Indians know what Americans like?

Our IT industry is only moving to India due to low cost, not because Indians are better Developers. Low price does not equal a good product.

Seriously you really need to move out of mom's basement and get a grown up's job.

You lost any credibility you may have ever had with that comment.

LEARN. Insults don't make an argument better.

Now go remember this fact and come back later.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

I would say go for it! Sell to the india company, since they couldnt do a good job its time let the up and rising country do it! i believe it would only be good for us gamers.

Maybe they would roll back to pre NGE!  And Vanguard will see a new lease of life, not sure about The Agent though....

RIP Orc Choppa

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927

If SOE got completely outsourced it could only be an improvement.

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

• TheChronicTheChronic Member Posts: 253

could it be that LucasArts knew about the SOE takeover and is preparing themself to pull the license off SOE ?

could it be that LucasArts is about to give BioWare the license for a new StarWars mmo ?

only time will tell I guess :)

"You must be either retarded or a fanboi..."

• DarkentwoDarkentwo Member Posts: 160

I believe it is a cultural thing.  For example, I would have no idea what people in India really like so how can Indians know what Americans like?

Our IT industry is only moving to India due to low cost, not because Indians are better Developers.  Low price does not equal a good product.

Oh really ?  So now it's a cultural thing is it?  You said Indians couldn't run an MMO, but now it's a cultural thing. So basically you're saying American Culture and tastes are somehow better than my own or that of other Indians ?

By the sounds of it, you've never been abroad and know nothing about India but you're quite quick judge what Indians are all about.

You're IT industry is moving to India because of low cost and the same or better quality than available in your country. We wouldn't be one of the fastest developing countries in the world if we were all about low cost and shoddy workmanship.

If you want to be a racist, go ahead and be one, but don't try to clothe it in a sea of respectable speech and ill thought out logic.

This discussion has been closed.