Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$OE bought out by Indians.

2»

Comments

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508

http://www.reuters.com/article/mergersNews/idUSBOM22006020071223

You guys might want to read this before you get all happy!

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

Originally posted by Obee

Originally posted by ABRaquel

In my opinion, I highly doubt that SCE and SCEA would sell SOE.

SOE is a subsidiary of Sony Pictures.  Sony as a whole has been doing poorly over the past two years, which could give them an incentive to make a quick cash grab by selling a relatively obscure subsidiary.  If the story is accurate, and SOE is only pulling in $150 mil per year in revenue (which isn't profit), SOE doesn't even pull in as much as a single film can.  It would be the equivalent of Sony Pictures selling off a small film that isn't expected to be a huge blockbuster.

SOE is buried in a division that sees more money going in and out on single projects than SOE sees in an entire year.  That is the whole reason there hasn't been any major shakeups in management in the past three years while their customer numbers have made a major plunge (they have slightly less than half the number of subscribers, company wide, than they had two years ago).  SOE flies under the radar of the Sony Corporation.

Let me correct myself, SOE is owned SPD and SCEA.You are right, it is a really small company in the grand scheme of things regarding SONY as a whole, but again I still doubt that SPD/SCEA would sell a Game Studio/Publisher. The only reason that comes to mind is the PS3.

Again its my opinion.

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

Originally posted by jadan2000

http://www.reuters.com/article/mergersNews/idUSBOM22006020071223
    You guys might want to read this before you get all happy!

You are a correct Sir, until there is an official announcement, a rehash from the IndianTimes.com that Reuters posted on their website, which clearly they state "quoting unnamed sources" doesn't mean its TRUE.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Regardless if SOE is really bought out or not can't change the fact that SOE sucks

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• Poetic justice...  SOE outsourced to India, and Smed left saying "They took yer job".

• Originally posted by Burntvet

Man... the Indians got ripped off... 300 mil for that House of Shizola? 

It's being sold for basically 1/3rd what Bioware was bought by EA for...  Think on that for a moment.

• kano71kano71 Member Posts: 207

why are all this spam threads about false buyuot rumors keep poping up its old news... move along nothing here

• ThecensoredThecensored Member Posts: 79

How old is it?

• LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680

what the heck? lol

It's okay tho the people that own blizzard now are french.

Playing: Everthing
    Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
    I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642
    Originally posted by Obee

Originally posted by ABRaquel

In my opinion, I highly doubt that SCE and SCEA would sell SOE.

SOE is a subsidiary of Sony Pictures.  Sony as a whole has been doing poorly over the past two years, which could give them an incentive to make a quick cash grab by selling a relatively obscure subsidiary.  If the story is accurate, and SOE is only pulling in $150 mil per year in revenue (which isn't profit), SOE doesn't even pull in as much as a single film can.  It would be the equivalent of Sony Pictures selling off a small film that isn't expected to be a huge blockbuster.

SOE is buried in a division that sees more money going in and out on single projects than SOE sees in an entire year.  That is the whole reason there hasn't been any major shakeups in management in the past three years while their customer numbers have made a major plunge (they have slightly less than half the number of subscribers, company wide, than they had two years ago).  SOE flies under the radar of the Sony Corporation.

SOE's Finacial info is buried deeper then The Ark of the Convenant .

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• suskesuske Member Posts: 714
    Originally posted by Shayde

Dots not feathers.

NEW DELHI: Zapak Digital entertainment, the online gaming company promoted by Anil Ambani-led ADAG group, is all set to buy out Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) for around $300 million (Rs 1,200 crore).

According to sources close to the development, the deal will be finalised within the next few days. Sony Online was on the block for the past two weeks and Zapak, which has been looking for acquiring international studios, is finally said to have reached a consensus over the valuation of Sony Online.
    “The deal is almost through. It is in the final stages of negotiations and by next week, Zapak will have a full right to all content, owned and published by Sony Online,” sources told SundayET.
    Sony Online Entertainment is the game development and game publishing unit of Sony and posts revenue of around $ 150 million (the company doesn’t reveal the exact details for the division). It has in the past come out with popular games such as Everquest, PlanetSide, Star War Galaxies and Vanguard. SOE’s headquartered at San Diego, California, with additional game development studios located in Austin, Texas, Denver, Colorado and Seattle.
    This acquisition is in line with the future plans of Zapak Digital, which is planning to enter the gaming space in China by early next year. “This makes perfect sense for us, as around 80% of content in the gaming industry is manufactured internationally. Buying out Sony, will not only give us access but also expand our reach in the global market,” said a senior Zapak Official.
    The major expenses in the gaming industry is on content and marketing, and Zapak aims to reduce the cost of publishing a game by buying out those studios and relocating them to India. “This will reduce the cost drastically from $30 mn to $10mn, which will give us the advantage to channelise our funds towards marketing and other activities,” the official said.
    In the recent past, Sony has aligned with Virgin Comics, a Bangalore-based collaboration of famed, self-help guru Deepak Chopra, filmmaker Shekhar Kapur and Richard Branson of Virgin Group. After the proposed acquisition, Zapak plans to retain control over all the deals, which has been signed by Sony Online.
    According to the latest IMRB report, there are about 2.8 million online gamers in India and the online gaming industry is worth Rs 21 crore. Zapak is one of the top players in the Indian gaming space.

LINK

First of all... a sell off of the company as a whole does NOT mean they're doing well.

Second of all.. it's nice that the game developers will be in the same place as the customer service department.

Third of all, there's MANY quotes above that are just fall-down laughable.

this is nice and all but shouldn't you get over it?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by salvaje

Poetic justice...  SOE outsourced to India, and Smed left saying "They took yer job".

Smed said something (on EQ2Flames)

www.eq2flames.com/general-gameplay/17217-may-explain-few-things.html

This story is completely false. We aren't for sale

No idea who made this up. We are in discussions with various companies in India about bringing our games to this growing market but that's it. We aren't for sale.

Smed

I guess time will tell

• savagegoosesavagegoose Member Posts: 41

cool when do we get our 1st all singing all dancing  boy meets grrrl  romance  mmo?

• fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003

Time will tell of course but surely this is a load of crap?

Why? the PS3 of course doesnt SOE handle the online content for that as well as the MMO part? may bewrong of course but even sony isnt daft enough to sell a major part of its PS3 unit without having something in place.

Lets not for get that HOME or whatever its called is supposed to be coming but as ever time will tell i suppose and yes Smed was very quick to try and squash this rumour.

• fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003
    Originally posted by savagegoose

cool when do we get our 1st all singing all dancing  boy meets grrrl  romance  mmo?

and LOL i'll play it

• ExiledagainExiledagain Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by bstuart

its just smeds nature to lie he is the bagdad bob of the gaming industry
    he just needs to transition to his next job wearing a paper hat and salting the frys

lmao

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

first  300 millions $ only ..LOL LOL hahaha

second ,do we vets have finally won not only a battle but the whole war !???

what exciting  x-mas news if this would be true and Smed  get fired !

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

The whole situation seems so believeable IMO, particularily when Yahoo talked of Howard Stringer's (the CEO of Sony) recovery plan for Sony.

"When Stringer took the helm at Sony in 2005, the company — once a symbol of innovation with its Walkman line of personal stereos — had been stumbling, falling behind in flat-panel TVs and digital music players. Stringer's recovery strategy included massive job cuts, plant closures and dropping unprofitable businesses."

The entire article can be found here for those interested.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071211/ap_on_hi_te/japan_sony

• JasPlunJasPlun Member Posts: 155
    Originally posted by tkreep

Screw SOE they suck balls now, I just hope the rest of sony wont go down with them later because I like my PS3.

Me too because I have finally decided that I want a PS3 over the other 2. I once was planning on an xbox 360 due to the game line - up ,But what good is having all those titles when your xbox keeps dieing with the red ring of death. I want a decent machine that will last me 4-5 years and 3 year warrenty is not enough for me. If I have to shell out 400bucks or more it better be good. I have not heard about any issues with the PS3 and I do see it winning the race over the long haul.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Funny how the mods deleted this off the current board. Don't know how this could be more current and have more of an effect on current gameplay.

Great job mods. /tiphat

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by Shayde
    Funny how the mods deleted this off the current board. Don't know how this could be more current and have more of an effect on current gameplay.
    Great job mods. /tiphat

For issues with moderation contact [email protected]

Do you mean this thread: SOE Sale to India: 100% False, John Smedley?
    Also since its about SOE & not specifically SWG it is suppose to be in the general section, since there is one thread already this one gets locked.

This discussion has been closed.