Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The solution to autoing and a reduction in RWT.... a 3d client

b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

The fact that Runescape uses a browser based design it great on many fronts, the game is easy to get into, easy to play for 10 minutes on and off, and is a good starting place for MMO gamers.

However

The ways in which such a simple system can be preyed upon by autoers are so numerous, that the game has a bot population rivaling that of any other game in existence.  The fact that the only thing connecting the server and the players computer is an application running in internet explorer, rather than a full out client which moniters other programs running as well as keeping track of the actions of users in a much more in depth method.

I realize that Jagex stands for JAva Games EXperts, but in all honesty i see this as the only way to truly limit autoing and RMT, to upgrade the client to a modern level (without nerfing the gameplay at all).

plus on the bright side, i for one would love nothing more than 3D runescape with WASD and good graphics

Comments

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

They can make it a client while still making it java, like wurm online. But a lot of there players wouldn't be able to play because their computers aren't so good.

?

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by AkaJetson

They can make it a client while still making it java, like wurm online. But a lot of there players wouldn't be able to play because their computers aren't so good.

It would also call for Jagex to admit they've been lying to their customers all these years by saying RS was the best that could be done in JAVA, despite proof (WURM, for one) that it isn't.

Personally I can't stand Runescape ( as many here know ), but my main reason for that is its community. I've often said that Runescape would be an awesome game if the gameplay was left alone and everything brought up to 3D.

Unfortunately, either Jagex is too incompetent to accomplish this task, or they're happy to pull in their millions with the outdated and dismal graphics they have now as long as players are willing to pay for it. I'm betting it's both.

• roguetechroguetech Member Posts: 126

There's a reason it has a "bot population rivaling that of any other game in existance." It's got a human population rivaling that of any game in existance. Making it 3D would have very little to no effect on bots.

But it would be awesome! If they could make a 3D clilent that leveled and gained experience in the same ways/at the same rate, there's no reason they couldn't keep it as a browser game, and leave it at our choice which client to use (and just charge more per month or an upfront fee for the 3D client).

• LlamsterLlamster Member Posts: 234

First of all,

IT'S ALREADY 3D!

Second,

THERE ARE NO MORE BOTS. JAGEX GOT RID OF THEM A FEW DAYS AGO.

{ Mod Edit }

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.
    Currently playing: RuneScape, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.

Originally posted by Zorvan

It would also call for Jagex to admit they've been lying to their customers all these years by saying RS was the best that could be done in JAVA, despite proof (WURM, for one) that it isn't.

Personally I can't stand Runescape ( as many here know ), but my main reason for that is its community. I've often said that Runescape would be an awesome game if the gameplay was left alone and everything brought up to 3D.

Unfortunately, either Jagex is too incompetent to accomplish this task, or they're happy to pull in their millions with the outdated and dismal graphics they have now as long as players are willing to pay for it. I'm betting it's both.

The main reason it has bad graphics is because it's a browser game. Jagex has never said that they have the best graphics that Java can do. Quoted from a dev journal, "Being a web-based Java game, there are limits to how far we could go with the graphics yet still keep the game running smoothly."

And, as I mentioned, it's already 3D. Anybody who's actually played this game *points an accusing finger* would know that.

Have played: RuneScape, EQ2 (free trial), Last Chaos, Silk Road, Dungeon Runners.

The notion that graphics, or anything else for that matter, are anywhere near as important as gameplay/fun is so utterly ridiculous that anyone who shares such a view should be placed in an asylum.

Originally posted by Llamster

First of all,

IT'S ALREADY 3D!

{ Mod Edit }

It is NOT 3D. It has no shadows or lightening effects. Granted it's all a matter of perception, and every game is 2D, at least until my 3D monitor shows up. But, nonetheless,

{ Mod Edit }

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

The main reason it has bad graphics is because it's a browser game. Jagex has never said that they have the best graphics that Java can do. Quoted from a dev journal, "Being a web-based Java game, there are limits to how far we could go with the graphics yet still keep the game running smoothly."

And, as I mentioned, it's already 3D. Anybody who's actually played this game *points an accusing finger* would know that.

I have played the game. Also, Jagex has said many times that RS is the best they could do with JAVA. Their community reps and GMs have used it as an excuse for the games' pitiful graphics, you just may find a few of these comments here in these forums if you're so inclined to look. If you've never seen them say it, then maybe you should pay more attention to the devs of game you play. Anyway, the childish , over-sized yellow text you used in your outburst above is one more example of the issues I have with the RS community.

Even though not the best JAVA can do, the graphics are good enough for immersion. If it weren't for the updates, graphics or no graphics, it'd be the best MMORPG on the market (IMHO). Yes, there are a lot of  immature jerks and "noobs", but RS also has a lot of mature, kind people as well. Well, there USED to be, no telling how many will stick around since they've cut out sharing.

I have played the game. Also, Jagex has said many times that RS is the best they could do with JAVA. Their community reps and GMs have used it as an excuse for the games' pitiful graphics, you just may find a few of these comments here in these forums if you're so inclined to look. If you've never seen them say it, then maybe you should pay more attention to the devs of game you play. Anyway, the childish , over-sized yellow text you used in your outburst above is one more example of the issues I have with the RS community.

If you have played the game, then why don't you acknowledge the fact that RuneScape is undeniably 3D?

The GMs are customer support, and they may not be well-informed about every single detail of RuneScape's development (though they should be). If you want the company's official stance on the graphics, read the dev journal I mentioned (no link, because the URL leads to the main page). Just scroll down until you see "development diaries" on the left column. In the journal, there are comments like (not quoted word-for-word) "We are constantly improving our tools and engines, resulting in better and better graphics all the time" and, as I mentioned before, "Being a WEB-BASED Java game, there's a limit to how far we could go with the graphics and still keep the game running smoothly." Both of these contradict the comments that you claim come from Jagex, showing that the Graphics team, at least, are an honest bunch.

Outburst? I was just trying to be blunt, though I probably overdid it. I'm rather insulted that you would compare me to the average RS player.

• K33n0K33n0 Member Posts: 80

Llamster, I'ts pretty obvious that most of it is 2d, and i agree with all of you, it does need a 3D client. And i do seem to remember that Jagex did say that it wasnt the best graphics that they could do. I think they should stop worrying about the gameplay or updates to the enviroment and get those graphics sorted. Thy hve made some big mistakes with the updates to stop RWT although i do think some action was needed. A client would be a good way to solve this problem, and then they would not have needed to bring some of these newest updates into place.

Originally posted by K33n0

Llamster, I'ts pretty obvious that most of it is 2d, and i agree with all of you, it does need a 3D client. And i do seem to remember that Jagex did say that it wasnt the best graphics that they could do. I think they should stop worrying about the gameplay or updates to the enviroment and get those graphics sorted. Thy hve made some big mistakes with the updates to stop RWT although i do think some action was needed. A client would be a good way to solve this problem, and then they would not have needed to bring some of these newest updates into place.

It's pretty obvious that you don't know what you're talking about, frankly. Do you want proof that RuneScape is completely and undeniably 3D? Hold the arrow keys while you're playing the game.

The autoers ran on advanced color-detection software. A new client would not solve the problem. Still, RuneScape did need a 3D client. That's why Jagex released one FOUR YEARS AGO.

I agree that they should step up their graphical improvement process. They also need to REPLACE  the game engine, not just update it.