Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sitting at the resub screen, once again :P

SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Well, I've tried tons and tons of different games, all leaving me with the same empty feeling, so I've been thinking of coming back to DAoC again.

My situation is a little different than most returning players though. I've never actually gotten that far into DAoC, so I'm still about as newb as it gets. With that said, I had a few questions before I take the dive back into the game.

Firstly, I had heard about some of the normal servers being clustered recently, giving the classic cluster some competition in terms of population. I've always been a big pve-er (hence the EQ addiction lol) and I had heard that TOA added a ton of pve to the game. The thing is, I really wanted to experience the pvp aspect of the game on the most fair playing ground possible and I've heard the normal servers were pretty harsh compared to the classic cluster in terms of pvp for newer players. I guess that's because of the insane artifact items and non-buff restrictions? Basically, I'm just wondering which would seem the most suitable for a new player who wants to dabble in both the pve and pvp aspects of the game. To be honest, I'm more interested in the older content of the game anyway, so the classic server would probably suffice as far as that goes.

Secondly, how are the overall populations for both the classic and normal clusters? I'd like to go with the most populated, which I'm guessing is still the classic cluster?

Finally, would any of you from either cluster happen to be in, or know of a friendly, family style guild that wouldn't mind giving a new player a shot? I'm going with Alb and a Friar as my class (and probably a heretic later on as an alt) and it'd be great to be part of the community early on. I've never really been much of the loner type ^^.

Anyway, I think that covers about everything I was wondering about. DAoC always seemed like one of the most impressive and promising MMO's even to this day, and I think it's about time I gave into it's charm ;). I'm just hoping I'm not to late at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help or information. Can't wait to return to camelot .

Comments

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Albion?!?!

I kid

Regarding your population question I'd say go the the camelot hearald and look at the numbers there.  It will give you the clearest idea.  Since the rather large exodus of people due to Trials of Atlantis many changes have been made on the normal servers that have made the pve aspect of it a lot easier.  It no longer takes weeks to do but with a sizable amount of people it can be done I think in a day or so.  I have been away from the game now for a few months, I stopped playing in late July and that was as a comeback just like the one you're planning.

That's about the only info I can really give you.  While I played on the classic cluster I just goofed around in the startup guild and didn't really care for a proper guild mainly because there were new people in it all the time.  The only time it got boring is when it was late and they were all sleeping.

MIDGARD FOREVER!

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

I think the belief that the "Classic" servers are easier for players - espically new players - to get into RvR is a myth.  It is also a Myth that things are "fairer."  In order to explain, I will need to discuss templates.  Templates is essentailly figuring out what bonuses/resists/abilties you want your character to have and then maximize it with the use of armor/weapons.  You will need to do this on all servers at level 50.  I think this is the most daunting aspect to new players.  But anyway here is the deal:

Classic:

1.  Most of your armor is going to be crafted.  This will require you to detail out yourself all of the bonuses you want.  Further, you will need to fins someone to make/spellcraft your armor.  Last, you are going to need to have the money to pay for it.  At level 50, you will not have the money to pay for all of this unless you start farming gold. 

2.  The "uber" items fall into two categories.  You will have your champion weapon.  This will require you tp run through a series of long (but fun) quests or to earn a certain champion rank.  Often, people go for the latter and do so in RvR.  This is much harder for a new player.  So your weapon is likely sub-standard unless you can get people to spend the large amount of time doing all of the quests. 

3.  The second type of uber items come from an 8 man dungeon instance.  It is long, difficult, but fun to do.  However, in order to get the best items you will need to do this over and over.  Many items you want will be for sale, but they will cost a lot.  Hence, either you grind this instance or your grind for money to pay for it. 

Regular:

1.  Your primary source of items with be ToA artifacts.  These are very easy to get.  Everything in now able to be done by group and done quickly.  These cost your nothing.  ToA also drops a lot of gold while you are doing thing.

2.  Many places on the web, and people in game, can tell you the perfect template using ToA items.  This will take the guess work out for a new player until he learns all of the ins and outs. 

3.  You will only need a few pieces that are crafted.  This will be easier to do and cheaper, because you only have a few pieces.

4.  ML abilties.  ML are also easy to do and people run them often.  Further, ML abilties are far from the biggest worry for a new player.  Higher realm ranks are really what the disparity in power is. 

5.  ML abilties give new players things to bring to the battle field and things that are very useful.  Casters often run out of power, but, with a powerfont near you can regen that power quickly. 

6.  Certain ML abilites require different strategies and counters to deal with.  So the RvR experience is different than Classic:

Summation:

You will need to work at getting ready to compete on either server type.  I highly doubt most people that play classic have spent much time running through characters on the regular servers to see that it is actually easier to get ready for RvR there.  But both sides will require work.

I find that people on classic are more willing to group, espically at lower levels, but the general player is more focused on getting to level 50 and RvR.  They are not focused on doing PvE content.  I am sure there are many who do, but the common impression you get from those playing there is that it is more "RvR' focused and as such many of your groups will be running instances. 

On the regular servers, grouping at lower levels will be harder.  But at upper levels you will be grouping and doing a variety of PvE content. 

Whatever server you play on, you will need to find in the lower level battlegrounds (not like WoW's though).  You will need to do this to earn realm ranks before you get to 50. 

The Classic cluster still has the highest population.  Depends on your playing time, but it ranges from 200-400 more players during the peak hours. 

When I played on classics I had absolutely no problems with money.  By the time I got to 50 I had over 10 plat and was more or less completely finished with Master Levels.  I did my master level quests as I leveled up.  Not only would they lead to a sweet weapon at the end but they gave tons of exp to get me to 50 and gave a good chunk of gold while I was at it.  Also when I played back in July there was a few gather quests that would send you out to a zone to pick up some stone and wood (midgard) and upon return I would get 250 g and half of a bubble of exp which is damn good considering all it took me was a 10 minute round trip.

My epic armor got me to rank 3 before I sat down and calculated out the proper stuff for my crafted suit.  When it came time to get all the items I just went to the housing area and searched for what I wanted.  Most of my armor was made all I had to do is find it and buy it.  I didn't have to wait for anybody to log on or anything.  The spellcrafting and alchemy wasn't all that difficult either IMO.  I sent my template off to a guy, he came back the next day when I was on and within 15 minutes I had all my procs and effects done, he got his money and I was good to go.  All that was somewhere in the 7 plat range.  Money well spent if you ask me since I could quite a bit more with all that new good stuff.

The disclaimer here is that things might have changed.  The quest I was doing was part of the whole dragon storyline and the whole event might have rolled forward but I think there might still be a quest or 2 that will provide you with plenty of money.  For all I know I might have met some super cool people who didn't mind doing the spellcraft for me and the others might be bastards.

In regards to the standard servers, I do not know.  I have not played on them since toa was released.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Well, after thinking it over for awhile, I think I've decided to give the classic server a try. If my old account is still around, I should have a level 15 Friar on it already, I think on Gareth.

Thanks a lot for all the information :). Now I'm just hoping I can find a friendly guild that won't mind giving the new guy a shot.

Thanks again ^^.

Oh, my name will either be Senvilan, or Seilan (can't remember what my friars name was) in case any of you feel like sending a hello.

If at any point you had a character there it will be there no matter what.  Mythic doesn't delete characters or remove accounts so I think you'll be fine.

best of luck to you.......

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I still have fun playing DAOC. In the end , thats enough. I dont care anymore about "X template for this" or "Y class overpowered". Just getting out into the battlegrounds or Frontiers you just feel that sense.."Im a MID". other players who are fighting alongside you are not just random flyby night guys who you dont even look at thier names...there is a connection..and I dont know how to explain it. But you know that hes got your back and you his. And if you both die...you are both coming out and coming back together

Torrential

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

My wife and I just started the trial and liking it. we are albion on the halagrad server

sweet game