Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Trial Account Limitations Enacted to Combat Spammers

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

reported at  news.filefront.com/

As Blizzard has made it ever more difficult for spammers and gold sellers to do their dirty work, the operations have come up with a new method of assaulting subscribers.

If you’ve made a new character anytime in the last few months then you’ve experienced the latest form of gold seller spam. You’ll be doing your leveling thing, grinding or boars or what not, and suddenly you’ll get a party invite from a level 1 warrior in either Elwynn Forest or Durotar. Should you accept the invite, you’ll be inundated with offers for everything from “cheap WoW gold” to hacks that transform your character into a level 10,000 behemoth.

To meet this new challenge, Blizzard has placed new limitations on its World of Warcraft 10 day trial accounts.

We applied a small hotfix early this morning to include an additional restriction to trial accounts.

Trial accounts may no longer invite players to a party. They can still, however; accept invites from subscriber accounts who they may wish to group with.

Comments

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

They keep trying.

And, they will keep failing.

Only way to stop it is to regulate the Economy.

Regulate the amount of Gold that can be transfered between different accounts at one time and over time.

Regulate the price for which Items may be sold on the AH.

Regulate the price at which items may be sold between characters.

These games really should not have totally open economics because the resource supply and therefore the Gold supply is never-ending.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I dont think Bliz is failing at preventive measures

Gold spam used to be really bad in WOW until patch 2.1 -- difference was night and day

I welcome this latest change too

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

great change, all I need now is a way to squelch trials from /say and i'll be happy

• D|CED|CE Member Posts: 197

yep, whatever they are doing seems to be working.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

It is another positive step.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• wenrjieewenrjiee Member Posts: 42

Blizzard's limitation is 10-day trial account.

• WikkedbowtieWikkedbowtie Member Posts: 494

I can understand what they are trying to do. But, I wouldn't have bought the game if this had went through before I started my trial. I had 5 freinds start playing with me and it was a real pain not to be able to group with them because we were on trial accounts.

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

Originally posted by Shoal

They keep trying.
    Regulate the amount of Gold that can be transfered between different accounts at one time and over time.
    These games really should not have totally open economics because the resource supply and therefore the Gold supply is never-ending.

By doing that they would screw up the player based economy that is in place atm, wouldnt help any subscribers, only hurt them.

• Irish_RedIrish_Red Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by kwai

Originally posted by Shoal

They keep trying.

By doing that they would screw up the player based economy that is in place atm, wouldnt help any subscribers, only hurt them.

Nope. Regulating is the only fix to any games economy. IMO

Look at UO's economy. Stuff sells for multi-millions.

or

Take a look at the US dollar. We keep printing the paper with no gold to back it.

I'm not economics major. In fact I hated that class in college. But I can tell you, with out a doubt, the only way to fix an economy is to regulate the cash/gold.

Shoal you have it right on the "money".

*edit

Players/farmers are the people that screw the economy in the first place. IMO

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

It's taken a while but Blizzard have really closed down most of the easy ways to spam.  At one point, it got really bad.

They probably won't eliminate adverts completely, but I can accept a tiny infequent spam message now and then.

People talking about "fixing" the economy - I can't really see how this is possible without removing the economy, eliminating player to player transactions, and even if they did this, whatever the player is doing instead will become the service that the gold-sellers provide, probably power levelling etc.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

Originally posted by Wikkedbowtie

I can understand what they are trying to do. But, I wouldn't have bought the game if this had went through before I started my trial. I had 5 freinds start playing with me and it was a real pain not to be able to group with them because we were on trial accounts.

While I understand this argument imo it's one that A) not happens very often B) Certainly doesn't happen often anymore these days C) benefits FAR outweigh the small loss of being able to group on a *trial*