Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE noob

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Had my first experience with the game,but i'm not really into space sims or sci fi.The interface is extremely cumbersome,i spent alot of time going through the tutorial wich i didn't find very useful and loads more time trying to figure out the controls on my own.

Over all the main controls wern't too bad ,i'm sure alot is still up in the air for me as a noob i pretty much only went mining.THing is mining i got bored pretty fast as really there is very little animation to it.At least to me as a noob you really can't do much at all as the game seems to be ALL about money/isk.I got a little miffed when i got an almost instant email in game from a RMT isk trader.Then the noob chat is spammed steadily by isk rmt'rs.

Anyhow what really got me was how the heck do you exit the darn game?i had to cntrl alt del to the task manager,geesh.I finally tried to do a mission and finally found one agent.That part took a full day to even realize there was missions and that io needed to find an agent somewhere,as my starting area had no agents other than tutorial agent.The first mission was easy i went killed a few ships and returned.The second mission made me quit the game lol,ya i know no patience.

Actually i have a fair bit of patience but ,when i returned thinking i was done the mission,the agent said i had to deliver some humans or something to him to wich i found none when i searched the empty vessells after i killed them.No where could i find any detailed explanation of my mission at all.So i was left in the air as to what i was missing or should do to follow it up.

I think all in all the game is quite outdated and the detailed explanations are lacking.By outdated i mean the animations are almost non exhistant and really that's all the game would have going for it.You spend all your time trying to gain ISK by whatever means ,and then get a better ship.After weeks of playing this game you have got to be bored with mining and upgrading ships can keep you entertained for only a short time.

The massive amount of skills really is masked content because there is only two real ideas in the game>>>battle ship or mining.Spend your whole game building a great mining rig or a great battle rig,but after you get either or the animations that follow up battles or mining are so weak that the reward doesn't matter.The game for people who like to just mess around flying a space ship i'm sure it's enough satisfaction but for content/graphics/animations there isn't much there.I would have at least expected to be able to get out of your ship an walk around the space stations,but nope nothing to do at all there.

This game is one of those i would have to say COULD have been great with some decent content to backup the huge world,and adding in some diversity like walking around the planets and space stations just for starters.Oh well i hope i didn't make anyone angry that likes the game,there's just not enough there to keep me entertained.For those that like it ,peace and enjoy.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Comments

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

Why do noob always try mining lol it's weird cause you can do Agent missions.

• orodeonorodeon Member Posts: 79

yea its a little bit of a pain in the beginning but it gets easyer  and more fun after u do some mission or ratting...   or my favorite pvping..     you should try to join a corp as soon as u can  so they can help u get good mission spots   groups for pvp and  protection from other players if u go into low sec space

wats your evename i might be able to help u out a bit??

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

EVE isn't really a game you can just jump in and play. Doing a little research before hand makes the experience a bit more enjoyable.

First, I recommend you read a good new players guide, like this one:

www.battleclinic.com/forum/index.php/topic,3510.msg14690.html

A quick Google search will take you to about 10 more.  I read 3 before I ever downloaded the trial.

Then, when you go to create your new character, be sure to follow the guidelines set forth here:

wiki.goonfleet.com/index.php

Now, I know you started off with mining, but I agree, mining sucks, I've never done it outside of the tutorial.  I think mission running is the best way to get started (or ratting).

This thread here will take you to a dozen useful mission running resources to help you get started.

myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp

So far, you've experienced so little of the game, today I blew up a stargate in a mission and the explosion was spectacular

Its true, EVE is very challenging to learn, however if you just stick it out by the end of the tutorial you'll start to get the hang of it.  Try to join a new player corp like EVE university, they'll be able to answer lots of your questions.

edit: Oh yes, and to exit the game, press the ESC key and then look for the exit game button in the lower right hand corner of the screen.  Don't worry, you're not the first person to have trouble finding it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Honestly, I think you're making things more difficult than they really are.  I just got a friend into the game, and the only MMO he has ever played is WoW for the past couple years.  By the end of his second day on his free trial, he is up to 2.4 million ISK already.  At the end of his first day, he was already in a Rifter.  Now, he's headed towards Cruisers and he's made it his goal to have a fitted Cruiser and to be able to fly it by the end of his trial when he'll subscribe.

Edit:  And also, if you think the game is just for "people who like to fly around in a ship and mess around", you are very mistaken.  I'm not trying to be demeaning, but it sounds like you just don't understand what EVE is about.  It is one of the most complex and enriching MMOs I've ever played, and this is from a long history of them.  EVE is an empire-building, political playground, with a thriving real world economy and harsh PvP.  There is a lot more to it than anything you will experience during your free trial, especially if you didn't even give it a chance past a couple days.

• ShohadakuShohadaku Member Posts: 581

EVE is not a simple jump in and play game. It helps if you have someone showing you the ropes. If I were a noob I would look up the player corp EVE University. They are a great help for teaching noobs the game. No matter what area you want to get into. Combat/market/industry.

BTW

I would rather run headfirst into a wall then mine.

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

Originally posted by Shohadaku

I would rather run headfirst into a wall then mine.

LOL! Same here. I know a few people that just mine almost all the time... I just can't understand the fun in it - but that's the great thing about EVE, it definitely supports the "each to their own" saying. :)

-iCeh

• armouredcorearmouredcore Member Posts: 17

ok let me start of with some of your quotes

"I think all in all the game is quite outdated and the detailed explanations are lacking.By outdated i mean the animations are almost non exhistant and really that's all the game would have going for it"

this sound like you froma fantasy world game where you expect sparkley stuff to shoot from the ships

please dont and try this game with other experiences of MMos as this is a very eunique game and should be treated as such

"You spend all your time trying to gain ISK by whatever means ,and then get a better ship.After weeks of playing this game you have got to be bored with mining and upgrading ships can keep you entertained for only a short time."

this is not the nly thing to do in the game ....this is just mearly what you see in the game, to really experience the game you need to find a non NPc corperation where you experience more of the game ( after all it a MMO not just a normal game) when you join a player owned corp you can experience more like war friends possible drug smuggling and making 0.0 industry , ratting or doing missions (mainly the war is mostly intresting down in the lower sec systems)

"The massive amount of skills really is masked content because there is only two real ideas in the game"

this isnt your regular skill system that you used to with such games like wow where you actually have to plan you career in eve other than just chopping down tree or what ever the haell you guys do on WOW, you career requires planning and thought instead of just a set level system . In turn this brodens that game vastly since you will never find a charater that is the same unlike with GW, WOW and such where there are level barriers and it sall determened by what weapon you have this is determened by what skills you have to use such ships and weapons alike

."Spend your whole game building a great mining rig or a great battle rig"

higher skill enable you to make them with in hours .....this is not the game and you are not understanding the concept of the game

"The game for people who like to just mess around flying a space ship i'm sure it's enough satisfaction but for content/graphics/animations there isn't much there.I would have at least expected to be able to get out of your ship an walk around the space stations,but nope nothing to do at all there."

there more than enough content in this game that to do it all and get all the skills will take over 30 years of RL training... oooh and the amount of faction agents to do all ranging from level 1- 5 in each faction so that 4 routes of level 1-5 agents, that in it self is content, there are plenty of corps out there in 0.0 and low sec for PVP in the ways of piracy and anti piracy with shooting all day long...oooor even join in the southen confrontation against BOB and goon (BTW for those that dont know that is a huge confrontation where there pod being blow up all the time and at this time is the biggest war to date in eve online) there also the industrial sector of eve where you can become a professional miner with a better ship that what your mining in at the moment where you can make and mine ships in hours not years with that little noobie frigate you flying (search for exhumers for pro mining ) make ship and sell in the market , or go to low sec and 0.0 and mine high end ores and transport them  back to high sec for isk , or pirating industry (lke me) and make drugs and smuggle them through systems to large (unamed ) corps and allaince :P, there is also trades  from system to system to sell in places where the comodity is worth higher that the place you brought it from ..........and if that doesnt satsfy you then you can also dabble in stocks and shares in corperations and make isk over time

IS THIS ENOUGH CONTENT FOR YOU BUT I SUPPOSE THAT BEING IN A GAME AND SOUND LIKE NOT BOTHERING HAS GOT THE WORST OF YOU

ooh

"adding in some diversity like walking around the planets and space stations just for starters."

next year is ambulation which is walkign in station and flying around planets but this just sound like a excuse instead of a genuine reason to give this game a try

• unherdninjaunherdninja Member Posts: 331
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Had my first experience with the game,but i'm not really into space sims or sci fi.The interface is extremely cumbersome,i spent alot of time going through the tutorial wich i didn't find very useful and loads more time trying to figure out the controls on my own.Well The interface is cumbersome at times but thats mainly due to the fact that EVE is a complex game. Also in EVE the tutorial is a must.

Over all the main controls wern't too bad ,i'm sure alot is still up in the air for me as a noob i pretty much only went mining.THing is mining i got bored pretty fast as really there is very little animation to it.At least to me as a noob you really can't do much at all as the game seems to be ALL about money/isk.I got a little miffed when i got an almost instant email in game from a RMT isk trader.Then the noob chat is spammed steadily by isk rmt'rs.Why oh why do New players always do mining first. Your right it is boring but theys so much more in the game then mining. Also you could say EVE is all about making isk. Then again you could say EVE is all about building an empire, or Being a pirate, or being a carrier pilot, or being a scout expert, or combat spec, or bounty hunter, or expert tackler, ext. Also about being smapped by isk sellers. It will stop after a little while. It seems like they do that a lot to noobs.

Anyhow what really got me was how the heck do you exit the darn game?i had to cntrl alt del to the task manager,geesh.I finally tried to do a mission and finally found one agent.That part took a full day to even realize there was missions and that io needed to find an agent somewhere,as my starting area had no agents other than tutorial agent.The first mission was easy i went killed a few ships and returned.The second mission made me quit the game lol,ya i know no patience.Wait. Didnt you just say in paragraph one that you didnt find the tutorial useful? Well if you did the tutorial you would know how to run and keep track of your mission. You would have learned how to use your journal. Comes in handy. Also when you said ya i know no patience. Well then EVE isnt the game for you. EVE requires a lot of patience i believe.Hell Theres kills that can take up to 2 mounths to train. If you cant spend an hour or so on one mission how are you going to be able to wait 2 mounths.

Actually i have a fair bit of patience but ,when i returned thinking i was done the mission,the agent said i had to deliver some humans or something to him to wich i found none when i searched the empty vessells after i killed them.No where could i find any detailed explanation of my mission at all.So i was left in the air as to what i was missing or should do to follow it up.Once again do the tutorial. You probebly had to look in one of the habitats or something.
    I think all in all the game is quite outdated and the detailed explanations are lacking.By outdated i mean the animations are almost non exhistant and really that's all the game would have going for it.You spend all your time trying to gain ISK by whatever means ,and then get a better ship.After weeks of playing this game you have got to be bored with mining and upgrading ships can keep you entertained for only a short time. So here goes... First, sorry if EVE doesnt have magic pixies flying around it instead we got drones. Sorry we would rather use missles instead of fire balls. and sorry we rather be protected by 3 feet metal shell then in a cloth robe with fancy colors on it. EVE is about skill not trying to look "omg uber 1337". Also EVE isnt all about making isk. If you ever read a reveiw about the game you would understand that. EVE has one of the most amazing pvp combat out there. If anything you should say EVE is all about politics.
    The massive amount of skills really is masked content because there is only two real ideas in the game>>>battle ship or mining.Spend your whole game building a great mining rig or a great battle rig,but after you get either or the animations that follow up battles or mining are so weak that the reward doesn't matter.The game for people who like to just mess around flying a space ship i'm sure it's enough satisfaction but for content/graphics/animations there isn't much there.I would have at least expected to be able to get out of your ship an walk around the space stations,but nope nothing to do at all there.Acually your wrong here also.  The key is to specalize. Im currently working my way up to being a great logistics support(thats EVE for healer class basicly).You could also spec as a tackler, recon, miner, manufacture, trader, mission runner, Capitol ships (hard), Carriers(hard IMO), explorer,  Sniper ships, support cruiser, and more. Also they are coming out with an expansion to let you leave your ship(I dont know what people obsession with that is though.)

This game is one of those i would have to say COULD have been great with some decent content to backup the huge world,and adding in some diversity like walking around the planets and space stations just for starters.Oh well i hope i didn't make anyone angry that likes the game,there's just not enough there to keep me entertained.For those that like it ,peace and enjoy.Wrap up: Well first once again being able to walk around stations will be added later. Also really you need to get out of high sec and experiance 0.0 life.  the game has so much content but you have to discover it. CCP wants to challenge there games and not just hand them everything on a silver platter like most other MMO's. They want to give players freedom and not just hold there hand and drag them around.  This is Unherdninja giving my 2 cents. Signing out. *static*
    P.S.Everything here was my opinion and im not speaking for the world no matter how much it may sound like i am. thank you for understanding.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

You guys are pretty much correct in your responses to my response but i pretty much figured all that out .Thing is as a noob there is nothing to steer you in any crafting mode or ship building.I mean at one time all players were noobs so the tutorials would have been horrible to players in the start of this game.I know everyone says the game is not easy and you need to PLAN ahead but that in all honesty is really only an option to an experienced player .A noob would have absolutely no idea at all as to what direction to take,other than mining rig or battle rig.I sort of set my sights on a mining rig with the ability to make it very defensive.Other than that i wouldn't have a clue as a noob.

I know mining is boring and you people are correct in saying why oh why lol,but remember that is because the tutorials are so bad that that's the only real concept that is easily grasped by noobs,especially when the game concept is to make ISK.

Like i said but many missed the point,the skilltrees are masked content.They are not really skills but really just a time=reward icon you click and let time pass to learn it.You don't do anything with the skills other than click them and let time pass.I noticed the skills once hit 4/5 take a real long time to pass by  like months.I was only able to learn one skill at a time, i am sure after doing something you can learn multiple skills at once but again no tutorial for that.For me waiting 1/2 mnths for one skill to pass before i can learn another is not too fun.

Delivering goods or items or whatever is still just flying around in a ship as there really isn't anything to do other than set destination go have a smoke and let the auto pilot takeover.The game is still about the battles or PVP as most would call it and i'm not into PVP at all.The crafting part sounds like fun as making ships is a sorta nice content to the game but i spent many hours reading just to try and get the concepts of the game, i am kinda tired of reading by now lol.This part of content however i would actually get into as it would involve gathering /moving around and thinking a bit.

I really do not like to follow some cookie cutter path laid out for me by some website,after all the game is suppoose to be mine not someone elses.To the person who said his friend had 2 mil ISK in second day that is quite doable as i already had 1 mil and really i didn't do much of anything except read and figure out travel controls.I thought to myself now what?upgrade a ship and fly around some more.I got bored of flying around as really i was just setting auto pilot and eating food.

One thing i really advise ,well it's too late now i guess but SPAM your forums to get rid of the unreal RMT chat spam.I mean it is ridiculous how there was a GM in the same chat while yellow RMT spam was continually spammed across the chat.It was so bad i couldn't even read the noob chat in hoping to learn something from others chat.I already had 2 players blocked for sending me ISK sales ads.

I may click into this game again as there really is nothing out there to keep me entertained but i'll be at a loss as to what to do with myself in game.I wish we could have walked around planet surfaces and fought mobs.Going out and PVE fighting against pirate ships wasn't intriguing at all because all i really saw was a ship icon and a steady pulse flash from my weapon.The battles need to be more graphical/exciting.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

Originally posted by slannmage

Why do noob always try mining lol it's weird cause you can do Agent missions.

Because mining is about the only thing in Eve that's simple enough for an unassisted noob to figure out on his first day.  It took me about a week to really start figuring things out, and I still learned a ton from my first corp and the forums.  Eve is many things but simple isn't one of them.

Oh yeah, I still mine

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Had my first experience with the game.......This game is one of those i would have to say COULD have been great

WOW WOW WALLYKAZAM One try and you got it all figured out! You r the man!

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

EVE is not about owning stuff or about having the best armour or sword and if that's what you expected to find its going to be disappointing, all games have content and stuff but EVE is a lot more than that EVEs about making your way in a harsh dangerous galaxy, its about standing with your alliance/corp mates fighting wars or its about being a master of business and logistics and managing profit margins and production efficiency, you can even be a crook and mastermind your latest con trick or work your way into a corps trust so you can walk away with billions.

Mining is not fun neither are missions they are just work or a means to an end, you say combat wasn't exciting but you obviously have not flown an interceptor and chased down a target to stop him escaping and praying your guys get there before his friends do or flown a Battlecruiser and fought against the odds to either snatch victory or to lose 150 million ISKs when you go down in flames or felt the rush of being a trader flying a blockade runner with goods to sell in low sec space trying to outwit and outmaneuvered the pirates who will blow you away if you give them even half a chance

You need patience and a big chin to take the knocks but most of all you need imagination.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

You guys are pretty much correct in your responses to my response but i pretty much figured all that out .Thing is as a noob there is nothing to steer you in any crafting mode or ship building.I mean at one time all players were noobs so the tutorials would have been horrible to players in the start of this game.I know everyone says the game is not easy and you need to PLAN ahead but that in all honesty is really only an option to an experienced player .A noob would have absolutely no idea at all as to what direction to take,other than mining rig or battle rig.I sort of set my sights on a mining rig with the ability to make it very defensive.Other than that i wouldn't have a clue as a noob. The thing you are missing here is that you ask a 2 year old veteran PvPer how to set up a mining ship and they will be as clueless as any n00b. it is a game where there is always something more to learn. This challenge to explore different aspects of teh game gives it its longevety.

I know mining is boring and you people are correct in saying why oh why lol,but remember that is because the tutorials are so bad that that's the only real concept that is easily grasped by noobs,especially when the game concept is to make ISK. Yup, not easily grasped, means you have to think for a change.
    Like i said but many missed the point,the skilltrees are masked content.They are not really skills but really just a time=reward icon you click and let time pass to learn it.You don't do anything with the skills other than click them and let time pass.I noticed the skills once hit 4/5 take a real long time to pass by  like months.I was only able to learn one skill at a time, i am sure after doing something you can learn multiple skills at once but again no tutorial for that.For me waiting 1/2 mnths for one skill to pass before i can learn another is not too fun. It is a long term game, it is very very hard to wait out that time for the lvl 5s, but it unlocks content, like better ships and weponry. If you don't see the long game then eve isn't for you.
    Delivering goods or items or whatever is still just flying around in a ship as there really isn't anything to do other than set destination go have a smoke and let the auto pilot takeover. This is great way to loose a lot of in game credit.
    The game is still about the battles or PVP as most would call it and i'm not into PVP at all. Again i have to say that the game isn't for you, even the most tame carbear has to think about PvP, people are out to get you, either in space or in the market, they want to hurt you.
    The crafting part sounds like fun as making ships is a sorta nice content to the game but i spent many hours reading just to try and get the concepts of the game, i am kinda tired of reading by now lol.This part of content however i would actually get into as it would involve gathering /moving around and thinking a bit. Again, you are not looking at the longevity of the game, the crafting in the game is enormously elaborate, some of which (every T2 item) has some elements that must come from player owned structures (moon mining, complex reactions). This is not content that can be solo'd. It requires large organisations and leads to large PvP engagements, wars over resourses and market share. the majority of items in the game are made by players, and you want to be familiar withit all in one afternoon? that would kill the game.
    I really do not like to follow some cookie cutter path laid out for me by some website,after all the game is suppoose to be mine not someone elses. Take the long view and you will see that a bit of 'wasted' training here and there doesn't actually matter.
    To the person who said his friend had 2 mil ISK in second day that is quite doable as i already had 1 mil and really i didn't do much of anything except read and figure out travel controls.I thought to myself now what?upgrade a ship and fly around some more.I got bored of flying around as really i was just setting auto pilot and eating food. lol, try that in low sec.

I may click into this game again as there really is nothing out there to keep me entertained but i'll be at a loss as to what to do with myself in game.I wish we could have walked around planet surfaces and fought mobs.Going out and PVE fighting against pirate ships wasn't intriguing at all because all i really saw was a ship icon and a steady pulse flash from my weapon.The battles need to be more graphical/exciting.
    this reminds me of your first post
    Had my first experience with the game,but i'm not really into space sims or sci fi.
    as you arn't interested in PvP or space sims, not playing eve would make a lot of sense.

there is no doubt that eve is not noob friendly, hell it is not vet friendly either, it is a difficult game with a cut thoat attitude. its strength is the long game and the PvP focus that is given to every action in the game.

if you want some more reading check out this thread.

http://mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/153471

• BearmugBearmug Member CommonPosts: 18

Don't really understand that, my experience is almost completely different. I started as soldier and from Gallente navy academy so maybe that changed the tutorial.

I did learn mining and so on, but I also got fighting, been sent to second tutorial agent (for 10 mission series), got a new ship as reward for one of missions (and I think I got a second ship, the Incursus that I still have stashed for the 'no destroyer' missions - I know I didn't buy it).

Everithing I still was curious about I checked in the tutorials (the ones you activate in 'tutorial' on menu on the left side - like overheating modules), or looked up on the net (only one thing for now though - didn't know if it was worth it to switch to destroyers).

I like the absence of hyperactive button mashing, level NOT making you immune to new players and that I can play when I feel like, and not being forced to grind.

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

You think the tutorials are bad now!!!!!

HeH guess you should ahve seen what they were like 4 years ago. Back then you started out in space with one  small asteroid and one orbiting drone. all you weretaught was how to target the asteroid and mine it  [i cycles worth], And how to target the drone and kill it.

Then you were told to dock a the Noob station for the rest of the ttorial, And heres the kicker. You were many AU from anywhere and couldnt see any stations at all. And you are not told the following.

How to find a station

How to navigate

How to ask in local for help

How to warp to something

How to dock.

So as you can imagine it took me 15 minuites to work outthe answers to what is really a simple problem.

And that was justthe spae stuff.

The station stuff just explained the different button functions of the instation menu. You werenot told how....

To navigate to a different system.

How Autopilot worked or even that it existed.

How to use the map

etc.

Back then joining a corp was ESSENTIAL to actually learning how to play. So when i hear someone sayyhe tutorial is hard i dont exactly tell them off but i do give a Nostalgic smile now and then.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand