Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Certain Video Cards Mesh Better With Different Processors?

8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Hey all just a couple quick questions that has been on my mind for a while but I shoved away until I just got a nice commission check today.  That means I can go back to thinking about getting a new video card.

Lets see,the main question being the subject:

Do certain video cards (Nvidia and ATI pretty much) work better with certain processors (Intel and AMD pretty much)? 

Secondary question being:

Currently my computer running Vista has an integrated Nvidia 6150 GE (or some crap similiar to that, sry at work now), and I was wondering, once I install a new vid card will that integrated one be totally bypassed or will it still take up any processing?

Thirdiary (just sounded fun to type):

Right now I think my power supply is like 400-450 watts, what would be optimal for a GX Card like an Nvidia 8600-8800 series or upper end ATI, without being overkill?

Current Rig: (from what I remember)

Dual Core 4200+ AMD

2 Gig of Ram

Intergrated GX Card

500GB HD

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

Comments

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

That power supply could run a HD3850, a 3870 or 8800GT would be pushing it out of the saftey zone. Also once you install a dedicated card, the onboard is automatically disabled.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

If you go 8800gt or 3870, you'll probably want a little more juice from the powersupply. And if you're running onboard video, I'm guessing you have a Dell or something similar. They use notoriously crappy powersupplies. Get an antec, or corsair, something like that in the 500-600 watt range. Anything over that is overkill. There are other brands that are good also, but I'm sure someone else will post their opinions on that.

Be careful with the onboard video. It is suppose to disable itself when you plug in a vid card, but that is not always the case. You might have to go into the BIOS and disable it manually if you have any issues.

Hope that helps.

D.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Another note: I don't think the processors themselves matter so much, but I could be wrong. There are a couple other guys on the site that know the minute details better than I.

Just remind everyone of that initial question, or everyone will just go off on the nvidia vs. ati debate. :CP

D.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

What matters is the northbridge.  Intel and ATI northbridges work better with ATI, while nVidia north bridges work better with nVidia.