Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Roleplay Game

2»

Comments

• toxicmangotoxicmango Member UncommonPosts: 119

I quit over their cheating and corruption.  No matter how pretty graphics may be, I do not pay my hard earned money to have dishonest developers cheat and rig things against me, my corporation, or my faction.  There have been other scandals and cover ups too. 

• UrielxUrielx Member Posts: 4

I think I'd have to say that I agree with others that UO will always be in my heart as the best place to RP.

The amount of character customization was so much higher then any other game I've played to date.

In UO the houses were 100% purposeful, you had limited bank space as well as tons of craftable furniture, special little house things etc.

I played on chessy as a vampire.  Shame they went to the facet system.  Our RP community really seems to have a sense of respect, and certain guilds were feared. Well going to a town where someone can insult you all day and you can't attack them totally ruins that =/.

• SilanderSilander Member Posts: 14

Sure the mentioned Rp elements like housing, advance character customization, being able to change the in-game world are all nifty additions. But it starts with a community and a game company that will not only stimulate Roleplay ( by providing rp goodies & RP server ) but also force the rules. Right now there isn't any MMO out there where this is the case, besides UO maybe, but as stated this is an ancient game by current standards.

Role-play can be anywhere, if it's EQ, UO or warcraft, imagination of players has no limits. But no matter how much you try to emerge yourself in your character. The “LOL” talk, talking in russian, or people that laugh their butts of when you say something IC, really spoils the fun.

I play on EQ2 AB server, and yes people RP sometimes, but the more deep roleplay isn't there outside the guild. It was better a few years ago, but right now it's not a real RP server anymore.

I play(ed) on all the rp servers in Warcraft, 2 years ago it was quite normal to play IC, but currently it's very rare and people even think it's funny to disrupt a guild meeting, or event by shouting “you gayish noobs!!!”.

So if you guys & girls know a rp game ( or server ) where there's actually roleplay, point me in the right direction.

Somehow I always feel like, if the real roleplayers just joined the same server, and found each other, the game itself ( wow, warcraft, LOTR ) doesn't mater that much. They are all a grind fest without RP, fancy to slay 10 orcs again?

• vala2008vala2008 Member Posts: 229

I have to say that i have had really bad experinces with the rolepay element in both WOW and LOTRO. Games in themselves are all possible roleplay enviroments and the roleplay comes down to the people you meet. once you meet a good bunch then stick with them.

In wow i have had people giving so much abuse that everytime i roleplayed around stormwind i had to add about 10 to my ignore list. Apparently rp is for young idiots etc but if it wasnt for rp there wouldnt be this games industry.

In LOTRO i have very high hopes and the atmosphere is truly amazing. My first encounter with some 'roleplayers' was a real disapointment. while i was having fun and enjoying the fact i am walking half way across Bree land in chacter they were more interested in my punctuation and complained that i wasnt roleplaying if i didnt use punctuation, needless to say i just started to roleplay on my own:)

Eventually i meet a realy nice kin that did roleplay but the interest in the game has really gone down. I am now going to RP on oblivion and see if that has better roleplay on it:) nothing like an offline game i have come to think.

Lets all hope AoC is what we have always wanted,,,a roleplay enviroment with nice and actually roleplayers who dont jump up and down and then start dancing. If that is the case i want to be able to cut their heads off.

• DeiothDeioth Member UncommonPosts: 64

Originally posted by Silander

Sure the mentioned Rp elements like housing, advance character customization, being able to change the in-game world are all nifty additions. But it starts with a community and a game company that will not only stimulate Roleplay ( by providing rp goodies & RP server ) but also force the rules. Right now there isn't any MMO out there where this is the case, besides UO maybe, but as stated this is an ancient game by current standards. 
    Role-play can be anywhere, if it's EQ, UO or warcraft, imagination of players has no limits. But no matter how much you try to emerge yourself in your character. The “LOL” talk, talking in russian, or people that laugh their butts of when you say something IC, really spoils the fun.

The community can be a hard thing to bring about.  Usually the problem is the lack of roleplay focus on the part of the GMs, lack of RP enforcement in even RP servers, and the challenge of finding reason to bother.  WoW, being the best example, had no reason to roleplay in it.  In the end, you're too restricted by the in game mechanics themselves that your imagination is highly limited.  I hated day in and day out that I was enemies with the Night Elves (I played Tauren rather exclusively), and further aggrivated by the lack of reason for it and story behind it.  Add on the overwhelming amount of l337s and other MMO jerks who think any way not their way is gay, and it was pointless to bother, so why play the damn game?

Despite the commonality of idiots and intolerable non-RPers and those who couldn't RP out of a boot and just those who otherwise are good people but hate to RP and break your immersion for it, roleplay can only be brought so far even if you can ignore the non-RP chatter and insults.  The game itself has to offer room for roleplay and give reason for it.  If the only reason to roleplay is for roleplay's sake, I'd much rather play D&D or another pen and paper than waste my time and money on some shitty MMO.

I would like to offer an idea of my own, though time has taken its toll, and its community is both its greatest strength and greatest weakness since it has a fine RP side to it but also some of the worst anti-RP and l337s you'd ever meet.  www.nexustk.com - Nexus the Kingdom of the Winds, oldest MMORPG out there (yes, older than UO, started in 1993 in Korea), and the only one I've ever played (never did pick up UO) with the partial exception of Anarchy Online that had a story, had fun with it, and made it mean something to be a part of it all.  It's the only game I've played that rewards roleplay and really offers support for it.  Reasons why I've quit and come back over the past 9 years since it went retail in the USA and am now unregistered potentially for good would fill a dozen posts.  But, it might be well worth trying if you want a more RP centric MMORPG.  It's unfortunate how far it's gone in many ways, but there are still many redeeming qualities and it will surely reward you with many solid hours of fun if you've never played.  If you stick with it, tell most of the older barbarians or barbarian guides that Minotar says hi for me.  Maybe some Diviners still remain that remember Dannicus, too.  Oh, and some guides of the Muse path, InYoHo's head shines brightly for them... Yeah, don't ask... lmao

• UrielxUrielx Member Posts: 4

IMO it's all in the chat UI... Being able to talk to anyone anywhere as easy as can be completely destorys immersion. I'm partial to overhead text/chat bubbles. Reading text in a chat box makes me feel like i'm on AIM or something.

• DeiothDeioth Member UncommonPosts: 64

Nexus has chat bubbles and a scrolling chat log

• montivagusmontivagus Member Posts: 7

The OP seems to be looking for something that was lost when the days of the all important video cards and fast action started. If you can survive without these so called improvements the best arena for any RP is in the myriad of hundreds upon thousands MU*/MOO*s out there. That is where you have all the character interactions and one on one achievements. The character customization is limitless as there are no graphics but the words you weave to describe your little beast. The best part is the fact that everything is described and always getting better even now. Basically what I am saying is the 'hardcore' RP is not to be found on a graphical MMOG whether it be for RP or not, the very fact that the Graphics have to be designed prior to you and then used in just such a way limits the entire interaction. The in-game events are rarely there in most and are once again typically lacking, nothing like being able to make anything on the fly, to include personal houses or guild areas. These are still available in the MUD environs. Quite simple and free, just have to stretch out your eye-muscles and remember how to read just like all those D&D rules. But like was said you have to forget about all the stock graphics from whichever design studio that pleases you most and remember to use your own brain to design the world around you within the text and your own words and poses.

As far as sticking with the 'new world' of graphics I am not yet impressed, fun games all around some pull you in but barely more than just a 'oo the graphics look good could almost be there' feeling that does not promote RP. Nothing like trying to say its something when the graphics tell you its something else. Though from the reviews in this thread it appears Planeshift might have some hope and will bear some looking into. If anything when I am looking for that RP pill I will always go back to a MUD even if I have to search through a number of them, the control over the environment and the presence of real RP will always be there in force.

• UtMoonUtMoon Member Posts: 99

Heya. 'Tis I again. I just wanted to point out again that Planeshift is far from finished, and will likely be many years in developement yet. There is a lot of 'rat killing' going on at the moment as the combat system is tested and  tweaked to try to ballance it as more things are added.

The reason Planeshift is different that I see is not because of the engine, graphics, or settings. It is the fact that most of the Devs working on the game are former players (by that I mean roleplayers). Since the game is free, and created as a hobby (or addiction in some cases), there is not a push to get the game 'sold' to the general masses of paying l33ters.

The world is small, but grows larger with each release. The mechanics are flawed and still in development, but have come a long way, and continue to improve. The best part is, if you think you can lend your skills to the cause, you can apply.

Stop on in. We'll leave the lights on. www.planeshift.it/

IRC channel is freenode #planeshift, if you want to talk about it to players, GMs, and Devs first.

If it is not your cup of tea, nothing lost but a bit of time. If you like it a lot, perhaps we'll see you as a Dev one day.

Edit: Drat. Forgot to give creds to the Art team. This gives a good taste: video.google.ca/videoplay

I changed my mind. PlaneShift is not worth the time.