Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So...I Jumped Out Of A Plane Yesterday...

Yesterday the wife and I strapped on the gear (which included grown men) and jumped from a plane at 13K feet above the ground.  I have to say it was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had.  Last night as I was going to sleep, I could still think back and recall the sensation of the jump from the plane.

Just wanted to see if anyone else here had done it or wants to do it?  I wonder if ninja's can fly...

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

Comments

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

I've done it once about 5 years ago as they take off from down the road to me. I never thought i'd be scared but when your in that plane waiting all i did was worry about if something went wrong, even though they tell you how safe it is and all lessons before hand. I didn't do it alone though i was on one of them double ones because your first jump they don't let you go alone. Yes the feel of falling made me feel like that sick feeling at first but then you get to love it and want it to last forever...

• NeptusNeptus Member UncommonPosts: 988

I've done skydiving before and I'm an Airborne Paratrooper for the US Army. It's worth the 150 extra a month.
    It's a really great experience even if you're afraid of heights.
    I know I 'was' afraid of heights when I went through Airborne Training down in Fort Benning Georgia but afterwards I wasn't. I went through so much training like Ground week, to Tower week, to and finally Jump Week. If you just train your body to respond well to the dramatic death defying effects you'll be alright.

Just make sure to PLF (Parachute Landing Fall) correctly when hitting the ground.
    When you hit the ground you bend your legs so you will hit the ground like a rag doll instead of hitting the ground like you have no sense.
    Feet, Knees, Pullup Muscle (side of hip), and your Shoulder if you want. I use my shoulder but some people try not to because they feel like taking the pain.
    Watch your head when you hit the ground and have a good jump.

Neptus - FFXI - Pandemonium
    Neptus - WoW - Detheroc

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

so my fake parachute backback assasination attempt didn't work.

I wonder who got the fake ones?????????

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• InflictionInfliction Member Posts: 1,115

When I go back to visit my hometown me and a buddy are going to go skydiving in memory of a buddy of ours that died in a plane crash a couple months ago going to go skydiving. Was his favorite thing to do. I've never been.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Verg...where you failed is everyone kept grabbing this one set of equipment but setting it back down because it felt "too light....almost like there is no parachute in it."  Hey we live (thankfully) and we learn...better luck next time.

Infliction, I am sorry to hear about your buddy, but that is a touching tribute...when you are up there, you will feel closer to him than you will anyone else.  Have fun.

Always remember, if at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

I've always wondered...

Does it give you that rollercoaster-stomach feeling the entire way down? The feeling in your gut when you drop down really fast on a rollercoaster? I don't know if I could take that, hehe.

-------------------------

Originally posted by Netzoko

I've always wondered...
    Does it give you that rollercoaster-stomach feeling the entire way down? The feeling in your gut when you drop down really fast on a rollercoaster? I don't know if I could take that, hehe.

No it doesn't actually, you get it initially...I got it as we jumped and rolled over on our back and then finally stabalized...but once you hit terminal velocity...about 135 mph the resistence is constant and your body (well mine and my friends who jumped) acts accordingly and calms down.  My wife gets that sensation easily, even in the car going over a hill real quick, but she had about the same experience I did.  It is a complete adrenline rush and all you keep thinking about is "This is so F#$king awesome!!"

• AdrealAdreal Member Posts: 2,087

Originally posted by 8hammer8

I've always wondered...

No it doesn't actually, you get it initially...I got it as we jumped and rolled over on our back and then finally stabalized...but once you hit terminal velocity...about 135 mph the resistence is constant and your body (well mine and my friends who jumped) acts accordingly and calms down.  My wife gets that sensation easily, even in the car going over a hill real quick, but she had about the same experience I did.  It is a complete adrenline rush and all you keep thinking about is "This is so F#$king awesome!!"

Heheh. Nice. The closest I've ever come to skydiving was a 400-foot drop. It was a tower at an amusement park that picked you straight up into the air so that you could see a good part of the city if not entirely. Then it dropped you straight down. It did give me a pretty big feeling in my stomach both times I went on it. It also made me feel a bit weak. I loved it.

I know that I have problems breathing in the face of wind - even winds as slow as 25-30 mph. Did you ever have a problem breathing when you were going down, 8hammer8?

"Put your foot where your mouth is." - Wisdom from my grandfather
    "Paper or plastic? ... because I'm afraid I'll have to suffocate you unless you put this bag on your head..." - Ethnitrek
    AC1: Wierding from Harvestgain

Originally posted by Adreal

I've always wondered...

Heheh. Nice. The closest I've ever come to skydiving was a 400-foot drop. It was a tower at an amusement park that picked you straight up into the air so that you could see a good part of the city if not entirely (from 13,000 Ft. I could see a large section of the county and a few cities ). Then it dropped you straight down. It did give me a pretty big feeling in my stomach both times I went on it. It also made me feel a bit weak. I loved it.

I know that I have problems breathing in the face of wind - even winds as slow as 25-30 mph. Did you ever have a problem breathing when you were going down, 8hammer8?  (I did not have a problem with the wind in my face though one of the older ladies (44yrs old) said she did a little bit, I figure if you did, you could curl your head underneath you [a little] and create a pocket of calmer air.  Also remember you are only free falling for about 45-50 seconds after that it is very calm on the ride down.)

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

I've always wondered...

Terminal Velocity is 120mph

Originally posted by bezado

I've always wondered...

Terminal Velocity is 120mph

Cool I could not remember my physics...

Based on his readings: Top Speed 142 mph ---- Avg Speed 132 mph ---- Opened Chute 4500 ft