Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few Questions for the veterans!

K1nGSlayeRK1nGSlayeR Member Posts: 24

Hello, I am your typical fantasy mmo lover, but lately I have been getting tired of the, "Run of The Mill", cookie cutter F2P games so I was thinking about playing EVE, but that would mean uninstalling something near and dear to me so I was wondering how you would explain combat and general goals in EVE, is it heavy on in ship to ship combat? is that all there is? is there any? any-who if there are any  Veteran EvE players out there who would not mind shedding some light on the subject I would appreciate it very much!l lol  I have read through the list of features on the website, but I am still not too clear about, "what goes on here"

Comments

• OsireOsire Member Posts: 33

It is important to understand that there is no goals in EVE. It is a complete sandbox where you decide your own goals. The only problem with this is sometimes you may be sitting around saying "What should I do?"; not out of a lack of choices but because theres so much to do. You can be a manufacturer and build anything from a sensor booster module to capital ships. You can be a pirate, a CEO, a mercenary, a mission runner, a ratter, a miner, a trader, and anything else you can fit your mind around.

PVP will take some getting used to. Combat can range anywhere from 1v1 to 100's v 100's . There are tons of battles going on all over EVE whether it is a war against power blocks in 0.0 space, pirating in low sec, or wars in high sec space, theres always something out there. The death penalty also adds a big adrenaline rush when you die or kill someone since it is so significant (you lose your ship, your modules, your implants, and clone). However, since the death penalty is significant you wont find many consensual PVP, meaning that people will try not to fight if they cant win.

Roles in terms of combat is extremely diverse since there is no "classes". However, there are general roles that many people play including: tacklers, scouts, snipers, logistics, electronic warfare, bombers, capital ship support, etc etc.

• K1nGSlayeRK1nGSlayeR Member Posts: 24

thank you very much, much appreciated and even more helpful =D  ty for taking the time for a quality answer BIIIIG thanks!

• FinwolvenFinwolven Member Posts: 289

Originally posted by burn1ngh0t

Hello, I am your typical fantasy mmo lover, but lately I have been getting tired of the, "Run of The Mill", cookie cutter F2P games so I was thinking about playing EVE, but that would mean uninstalling something near and dear to me so I was wondering how you would explain combat and general goals in EVE, is it heavy on in ship to ship combat? is that all there is? is there any? any-who if there are any  Veteran EvE players out there who would not mind shedding some light on the subject I would appreciate it very much!l lol  I have read through the list of features on the website, but I am still not too clear about, "what goes on here"

Umm, while I don't yet classify myself as a 'vet', I'll try to answer. In short:

EVE Online is a sandbox PVP-allowed MMO with shardless, one-universe approach to gameworld and a massively player-driven economy.

There's ship-to-ship combat, and lots of it, of both PVE and PVP variety. General goals for a player in EVE are quite nebulous: You can, with time and patience, do anything and everything well that you set your mind to doing. I've recently skilled up my previously combat-trained char to also do research, and am deriving a small, but nice income from datacores.

You can mine, manufacture, trade, missionrun (quests-like 'jobs' from NPC agents that give you cash, loot, loyalty points to buy faction items with and, most importantly, standing with the agents corporation/faction), PVE-rathunt (kill random NPC pirates for loot, bounty and security status), build Player Owned Starbases and Outposts, and, finally, PVP.

The ways EVE differs from most 'mainstream' fantasy MMOs:

1: It's a sci-fi setting

2: Your avatar is (for now) inside your ship all the time

3: The economy actually works

4: PVP has a harsh death penalty (loss of piloted ship+contents).

5: Corporation/Alliance wars and player politics with PVP mean real changes in gameplay to participants, along with access to better resources that are often fought over.

6: It has a learning curve best defined as a 'ramp' or a 'wall'.

If these things don't daunt you, I suggest giving the free trial a try, even if it means uninstalling something (or maybe burning your mp3-collection to DVDs?). Remember to ask when confused, and stay out of the 'help' and 'recruit' channels, they are nothing but spamfests for goldsellers. Sign up with EVE University Corp, and get the information you need instead.

• K1nGSlayeRK1nGSlayeR Member Posts: 24

ty much =D I think I might give it a try! now the hard part, making myself uninstall something I once loved!  =P lol hehe ty again all!!! much appreciated

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Eve isnt primarily about Spaceships. Those who play for a longer time can tell you, that the real focus is on the social aspect. Making friends, making enemies and then go out and shoot each other. Its most importantly a huge political world with complex dependancies between alliances.

• maxnrosymaxnrosy Member Posts: 608

the beauty of eve, yesterday my allience got wardec by a corp who had a grudge with a corp that joined our allience.

we prepared a huge assult on them as we pinpointed their bases and location. when the war started, 25 min into it we tear them to shreads losing only a few frigates and a cruiser or 2, we podded 7 of their pilots and none of ours got hurt. 15 hours later, they call off the war after losing over 1bil isk in ships

all this was done in secure space.

anything can happen in eve and once you get a good taste of pvp you wont escape its charm.

all i can say is Grouping in EVE is 100 times better than any other mmo. here corpsmates actually become good friends. SOLOing in eve for pvp is suicide . you will just become cannon fodder.

I recommend you join a corp asap, but make sure itts a medium sized to big corp so you can have people to be with any time you play.

avoid small corps the last thing you want is to be in a corp where rarely people log on, that will ruin your experience in eve.

zomg finally after 3 years i got 100 posts

Watching Fanbois drop their soap in a prison full of desperate men.