Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you are planning to watch I am Legend then dont enter this thread.

EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

That had to have been the MOST DEPRESSING F**KING MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN.

I mean, from the first three minutes to the last minute it was pure depression.

While I did like the cinematography of the picture, the general mood was just too damn depressing. Oh...did I mention how depressing it was?

It made "The Passion of the Christ" look like Ella Enchanted.  There was no redeeming quality of the entire film except for the scene where he gives the vial of cured blood to the woman who was responsible for him getting slaughtered in the first place.

Jesus, the entire film was just ...well....let's just put it this way:

When we picked up our kids at the sitters I frigging hugged them for 30 minutes and then we watched a light hearted christmas movie

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Comments

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

Girly image

From what I've gathered, it doesn't follow the book to closely, particularly the end. Which dovetails with my belief that Hollywood wouldn't cast Will Smith in a role where he commits suicide.

As such, dvd material perhaps, but not paying $9 to see it in a theater full of shitcocks talking on their cell phones through the whole movie. Cause, by god, if I'm going to jail for murder, it'll be for a worthwhile film like Juno, or Wristcutters

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Coldmeat

Girly

From what I've gathered, it doesn't follow the book to closely, particularly the end. Which dovetails with my belief that Hollywood wouldn't cast Will Smith in a role where he commits suicide.

As such, dvd material perhaps, but not paying $9 to see it in a theater full of shitcocks talking on their cell phones through the whole movie. Cause, by god, if I'm going to jail for murder, it'll be for a worthwhile film like Juno, or Wristcutters

I know what you mean I will wait until it comes out on dvd or something

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Well, I think it will be one movie my wife and I can agree on, so We will probably see it in the theatres.

Is it me or is this entire year been a bad one for movies. I cant recall anything good that came out this year

Torrential

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

This movie was one of the biggest cock-teases ever.

I thought the movie was simply amazing. The visuals, the acting, the cinematography... I thought for sure this would nab best movie of the year... until the end of the movie.

They really (and I mean REALLY) rushed the whole "Guy who renounces God finds salvation" idea. And the Hollywood ending of a good guy sacrificing himself for others just made no sense at all. The woman said there was enough room in the little safe space for him to fit in--why didn't he just throw the grenade and then hide in there?

-Machiavelli

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

I think its simple. I havent seen the movie but i read the book a friend told me the ending. There is no sequal to the book so if Robert and the women lived there couldve been a call for a sequal. And almost every sequal written from scratch after a first movie does bad. So they just kill him.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

I wouldn't let myself die for anyone.......... every man for himself.

• enzymeenzyme Member UncommonPosts: 464

I haven't seen it yet, but I read Matheson book and already seen the 2 earlier adaptations (The Last Man on Earth, The Omega Man).

I am looking forward to checking it out.

For those that haven't seen the 2 earlier flicks, I Highly recommend them.

Current Games:

• AdrealAdreal Member Posts: 2,087
    Originally posted by enzyme

I haven't seen it yet, but I read Matheson book and already seen the 2 earlier adaptations (The Last Man on Earth, The Omega Man).
    I am looking forward to checking it out.
    For those that haven't seen the 2 earlier flicks, I Highly recommend them.

The Omega Man was pretty interesting. I'd like to see a modern remake of it. Pretty depressing too, but I didn't really care. I've been wandering what Legend is like. I'll have to see it some time.

"Put your foot where your mouth is." - Wisdom from my grandfather
    "Paper or plastic? ... because I'm afraid I'll have to suffocate you unless you put this bag on your head..." - Ethnitrek
    AC1: Wierding from Harvestgain

• mithrandir72mithrandir72 Member Posts: 1,286

I thought it was simply amazing. The death of the dog is probably the worst I've ever felt about anything dying in a movie since I was like five. Honestly, though, I wouldn't wait for it on DVD, because it was so damn good in theatres. Me and my friend didn't say a word from beginning to halfway out of the building, we were both pretty stunned by how good it was.

I haven't seen any of the earlier movies or read the book, so I don't know how this compares, but honestly, best movie of the year I've seen. Beats out Bourne, Transformers, probably even Live Free or Die Hard.

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment;
    We are choosing to be here right now -Tool, Parabola

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Originally posted by Enigma

While I did like the cinematography of the picture, the general mood was just too damn depressing. Oh...did I mention how depressing it was?
    It made "The Passion of the Christ" look like Ella Enchanted.  There was no redeeming quality of the entire film except for the scene where he gives the vial of cured blood to the woman who was responsible for him getting slaughtered in the first place.
    When we picked up our kids at the sitters I frigging hugged them for 30 minutes and then we watched a light hearted christmas movie
    well thats an infinitely more happy ending then the book.

But the book is totally worth reading.

the movie was 1/100th as depressing as the book.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

Originally posted by mithrandir72

I thought it was simply amazing. The death of the dog is probably the worst I've ever felt about anything dying in a movie since I was like five. Honestly, though, I wouldn't wait for it on DVD, because it was so damn good in theatres. Me and my friend didn't say a word from beginning to halfway out of the building, we were both pretty stunned by how good it was.
    I haven't seen any of the earlier movies or read the book, so I don't know how this compares, but honestly, best movie of the year I've seen. Beats out Bourne, Transformers, probably even Live Free or Die Hard.
    Like I said, I completely agree, except for the ending. Honestly, that shitty WWE movie The Condemned had a better ending. It was so Hollywood, it was sickening. I hope to God that they come out with some sort of extended director's cut with a different ending. Otherwise, the next time I see it, I'm just going to walk away right when Will Smith blows up all the C4 around his house, and assume that everyone died.

-Machiavelli

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Originally posted by ViolentY

Like I said, I completely agree, except for the ending. Honestly, that shitty WWE movie The Condemned had a better ending. It was so Hollywood, it was sickening. I hope to God that they come out with some sort of extended director's cut with a different ending. Otherwise, the next time I see it, I'm just going to walk away right when Will Smith blows up all the C4 around his house, and assume that everyone died.

wow dont you think saying the condemned has anything better then any movie except for waterworld is jumping the gun a little bit??????

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• mithrandir72mithrandir72 Member Posts: 1,286
    Originally posted by ViolentY

I see where you're coming from, but I like to think in my own mind he was just trying to motivate the girl. Still, either way, the rest of the movie was pretty much enough for me to look over the faults in the ending.

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment;
    We are choosing to be here right now -Tool, Parabola

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Vampir

yeah. I read the book first so I was going to the theatre thinking that it would be somehow based on the book. Wow...was I wrong.  The director took bits and pieces from it and then made a movie from it.  There was SO many things that the movie took from the book and many  more that they ignored.

My 3 million dollar question is:

How the hell did the woman and the boy get to Manhatten in their SUV when all the bridges were blown up and the tunnels flooded?

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

•  

First, good job by you warning all of possible spoilers in your thread. Next, further good job by you of keeping from outright spoiling this movie.

This movie really got to you eh?

IMHO the fact that it got sooo far underneath your skin, proves how EXCELLET it is!

If you want to see depressing - go check out "The MIST"  which may still be out. It's based on a Steven King novella. That is easily more depressing than "I Am Legend", which ends on a far higher note. IMHO you are too used to the stereotypical Hollywood formula which says the good guy/main character never gets scratched (a-la Rambo-cliche style). "I Am Legend" shows how people would really act under those situations - though it could have went far further. Let me tell you something, talk to anyone, anyone, who was stuck inside NYC during the Blackout that lasted 24 hours. You D%^$ right the goverment will come out in force and act vs. it's own citizens with "extreem prejudice".

You are depressed bacause this movie was too real.

About Will Smith's character and his actions at the very end. Please re-watch the movie. Watch very closely the helicoptor scenes! ALL of them!!! Do NOT blink, talk, get distracted, or turn your head for at all. Get the full picture of why he really did what he did at the very end?

To everyone else, I recommend you see it! If you can, read the book first. Or read the book afterwards. Either way, you will still fully enjoy the book. My friend told me the book was very famous when it came out in the 1940's - 1950's.

The book is far better, (Hey, the movie only has 2 hours to work with...) But the movie does a nice job standing alone on its own.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

I just got back from seeing it, I loved it. The streak still stands in my opinion, Will Smith has yet to be in anything bad, from Fresh Prince to I Am Legend, and everything in between are great movies.

As somebody said above, the dog dying really hit me, I saw it comming throught the movie, but not like that. I think the movie did a really damn good job of drawing the line and not showing you the line, even if you have seen the original one with Charleston Heston(same movie I think).

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

•  

Originally posted by Vampir

yeah. I read the book first so I was going to the theatre thinking that it would be somehow based on the book. Wow...was I wrong.  The director took bits and pieces from it and then made a movie from it.  There was SO many things that the movie took from the book and many  more that they ignored.

My 3 million dollar question is:

How the hell did the woman and the boy get to Manhatten in their SUV when all the bridges were blown up and the tunnels flooded?

Have you ever been to Manhattan?

1. There is a secret tunnel system underneath Manhattan that litterally is a city underneath the city.

Two well known (out of many) nexus points for this underground tunnel system is underneath the Waldorf Hotel, and underneath Penn Station. In fact, if you go visit Penn Station right now, and enter on the 34th street side (the entrance that is on 34th street, but closer to 7th ave. There is a 3-6 story long escalator going straight down.). .... after entering, on the wall along the left side, is a huge, monitor, showing a history of building tunnels underneath Manhattan. And how insane the modern technology is.

2. No where in the movie does it show the tunnels getting flooded. And even if they were flooded, or blocked, it's very possible the trapped people, police, fire dept, and police, could have sooner or later forced opened some barricades in the traffic tunnels, and the ONE subway tunnel that goes from Manhattan, to the Newport Mall over in New Jersey. Flood waters can subside.

3. At the very northern tip of Manhattan,in the Tappan Zee bridge area,  it's very possible for one to build their own makeshift bridge to cross in from NY state, into Manhattan. This area has the narrowist width of water.

4. (Bleep) happens. As the movie showed when the 2 helicoptors with the millitary were flying along. (Bleep) could have happend with blowing up any of the numerous bridges, and tunnels surrounding Manhattan. One or more may not have been completly destroyed.

4b. Talk to anyone who was in Manhattan during the famous recent Blackout. Men and women in suits and ties,,  were beating up cops, SWAT, to get out of Manhattan which was litterally put on lockdown just like in the movie!  The PABT (Port Athority Bus Terminal) which is the largest bus terminal in all of America,, had the doors locked, then link chains wrapped around the doors. No one was allowed to leave. Then rows of cops stationed in front of the doors. All those "Leave it to Beaver" suburban professionals in their buisness clothing got a wiff of that killer-instinct-must-survive-F#$%-the-goverment and charged the cops with no fear of getting shot, beaten, or killed. Every cop had the look of a wide-eyed-doe.

The movie showed people behaving, lining up, allowing the goverment to decide who can leave, and who got locked down. Real life events show and prove  people are alot smarter, and would, WILL, bum rush the goverment, with the intent to rip apart any cop, or military trying to stop them. While the goverment goons are trying to blow up a bridge, flood a tunnel, barricade a bridge, barricade a tunnel, they would get ripped limb from limb, stampeaded on, by the millions  of people with NO CARE at all for their life, getting shot, or killed. No gun has infinite ammo. During the daytime, Manhattan has roughly 11 million people. During off peak hours (roughly from 6pm to 6 am) Manhattan has roughly 3 million people. The movie showed the lockdown happening during solid daytime - still during peak hours.

Back to the movie, who is to say some of the goverment, military, people did NOT flood all the tunnels, block all the tunnels, and bridges? Many in the military, and police, would feel funny about being ordered to "kill their own" - people who look like their mom, dad, kids, brothers, and sisters. The movie even hints at this when it shows the miltary guys messing up when they scanned Will Smith's wife (in the movie). It shows they are capable of messing up. The movie even shows the military fighting each other, when the army guys with Will Smith aim their guns at the army guys who would not let them through. If Will Smith had not spoken up, the slaughter would have started.

---------------------

I do agree with you that the movie never explicitly shows how the woman drove in. But after thinking about the above 4 points, it makes it plausible she could have made it in.