Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Beyond the MMORPG - Assassin's Creed

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

In our Beyond the MMORPG column, we take a look at a game that doesn't fit into our genre and speculate about how that game could be used to positively influence our genre. This week ,Donna Desborough takes a peek at Assassin's Creed.

Assassin's Creed has been anticipated for a long time from UbiSoft. The amount of hype and mystery surrounding this game has been tremendous. I wasn't immune to all the excitement mounting up and even bought the limited edition with the lovely resin statue.

I think the most obvious place to start is with the amazing graphics. The developers managed to make a game that just makes you want to stare at it. There are no separate CGI graphics sequences for cut-scenes; it's all the in game graphics. Now that alone should tell you something about the beauty of this game. There's more than just bloom encrusted pretty pixels to stare at though.

Read it all here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• outlaw101outlaw101 Member Posts: 351

I hope it doesn't influence our genre, the graphics maybe good, but the game? Kill 10 people or so and it's finished, the quests? Collect 100 flags, find 5 templars, etc etc so fourth.

"Don't hold breath about another KOTOR game coming from Bioware" - Chris Preistly

"Bioware is more intrested in pursueing development of it's own Intellectual properties"

- James Henly

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Name 2 Games that should influence MMORPG's

Now if a MMO could be made like

So those where/are my thoughts ...and nope not talking about gameplay, like the orginal post it's about the graphics and anitmation, besides the gameplay isn't all that bad to get into the game, but like MMO's one needs to TRULY play the game instead of rushing thru a game which seems to become the norm for some people.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Grand Theft assassin.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• stitchy1503stitchy1503 Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Grand Theft assassin.

I wish :)

It would be amazing to see combat like what was in Assassin's creed, and ive always wanted to see a city that didnt suck in an MMO, the only city that comes to mind right now is Camelot from DAoC the rest of them were horrible.
  • SkragnonSkragnon Member Posts: 1

The only up coming MMO that I can think of that is supposed to have some of these features is Age of Conan.  Combat is combo based, requiring that the player execute particular swings (including direction) within the right amount of time for them to execute properly.

Funcom has also touted that the NPC AI is supposed to have a much more "real" feel.  They move around during the day, go home at night, etc.

Is it the panacea?  Probably not, but I'm sure it's a step in the right direction.

• L0k1-L0k1- Member Posts: 240

Grand Theft assassin.

isn't there an mmorpg in development called PBA?

it some sort of mmo version of grand theft auto, you can play th gangs of the cops. Publisher is going to be webzen i think and the original creator of GTA is working on it.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

You know, most of the Asian games are very good at graphics and yet few play them for long as they have no content.  You could get by some years ago with great graphics, but not today.

This game is just another example of a developer paying far too much attention to how the game looks instead of what is inside.

Just another example of a company with it's priorities in the wrong place and we all know what happens to games with those problems.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Originally posted by Ozmodan

You know, most of the Asian games are very good at graphics and yet few play them for long as they have no content.  You could get by some years ago with great graphics, but not today.
    This game is just another example of a developer paying far too much attention to how the game looks instead of what is inside.
    Just another example of a company with it's priorities in the wrong place and we all know what happens to games with those problems.
    I hope we'll hit the cieling soon when talking about graphics, so that circle can be compleeted and all those perks that all theese new duo, quadro and more cores offer can contribute to some realy new and exciting gameplay options.

Looking at Assasins Creed and Crysis, graphics has become so good that the new wave of machinime movies can be up there right next with Pixar, I mean Crysis with graphics on high looks almost better than Final Fantasy movies.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by Skragnon

The only up coming MMO that I can think of that is supposed to have some of these features is Age of Conan.  Combat is combo based, requiring that the player execute particular swings (including direction) within the right amount of time for them to execute properly.
    Funcom has also touted that the NPC AI is supposed to have a much more "real" feel.  They move around during the day, go home at night, etc.
    Is it the panacea?  Probably not, but I'm sure it's a step in the right direction.

age of conan will have climbing skill also, but it won't be near as amazing as in assassins creed. but still cool to have in a mmo.

My blog: image

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

GTA (roaming) + AOC (blodthirsty combat) + Creed (mobility) would be an interesting combo.

Imagine the chaos of the rooftop PVP battles   

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884
    Originally posted by chriswsm

GTA (roaming) + AOC (blodthirsty combat) + Creed (mobility) would be an interesting combo.
    Imagine the chaos of the rooftop PVP battles   

• osirissosiriss Member Posts: 136

Originally posted by L0k1-

Grand Theft assassin.

it some sort of mmo version of grand theft auto, you can play th gangs of the cops. Publisher is going to be webzen i think and the original creator of GTA is working on it.

Greetings..you mean APB(all points bulletin) which is gta online and a real mmorpg. Its being developed for xbox 360 and pc. This game is pvp....

www.mmoginfo.com/pc/APB/index.html

www.youtube.com/watch

• uttausuttaus Member Posts: 120

I to would love to see cities in MMOs feel alive with people.  Every city in every MMO I have played feels false. Even if the people didnt react to you, I would like to see non quest npcs roam the city and behave as if they have a life. Hopefully making the city feel alive.

As for ASSASSINS CREED it is a beautiful game but is saddly a bad incomplete game with key abilities all assassins should have missing.  Rent it, borrow it, but don't buy it.

my 2 cents

Asheron's Call, Champions Online, Dark Age of Camelot, EVE Online, EverQuest, Lineage 2, Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft.Waiting for SWTOR

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by L0k1-

Grand Theft assassin.

You mean APB I think?

If so, yeah looks very cool :)