Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Reader's Choice Award Voting Begins!

Comments

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539
    Originally posted by daemonbarber

I suspect that EVE will not fair so well this year, with the voting coming immediately after their little 'oops'.

Eve should never have won all the awards the last 2 years its all the idiot Eve Fan bois who come on here and spam up there votes So don't be surprised this year when they abuse the vote system yet again.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by rznkain

I suspect that EVE will not fair so well this year, with the voting coming immediately after their little 'oops'.

Eve should never have won all the awards the last 2 years its all the idiot Eve Fan bois who come on here and spam up there votes So don't be surprised this year when they abuse the vote system yet again.

depends if CCP asks it's players to vote on the website again.

• BhagpussBhagpuss Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by Amathe

Normally these things are fun and above board, but this year it's the "Ah c'mon, give Vanguard something" awards. Every choice seems to have that craptastic, abject failure of a game in it. Give me a break. is Brad working again? I thought I recognized him when someone was parking my car.

I voted for VG in three categories for the simple reason that it's the most enjoyable MMO I have played in 10 years and I have spent two-thirds of this year playing it. Anyone who's been playing VG in the last few weeks can't have failed to notice the big influx of new players, too.

I recently began playing EQ2 again, but after the flexibility and freedom I had gotten used to in Vanguard I am having trouble accepting the limited options I have in EQ2 and the degree of control the game mechanics in EQ2 exert over my gameplay.

I was fortunate in that I had few technical issues in running Vanguard right from launch. VG's launch was rocky, but better than the launches of other MMOs I have experienced - AO and Horizons to name but two. The internal problems at Sigil meant that the post-launch period was directionless, but once SoE took over things improved very rapidly.

VG is likely to be the game I play for the next year or two, if only because there is not a single MMO in development and likely to come to market in the next couple of years that I am even slightly interested in playing.

• AckbarNLAckbarNL Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Somnulus

Originally posted by sandage

Originally posted by Somnulus

MMORPG.COM should have kept the "none of the above" option for statistical purposes so they would get a more realistic idea of their readership's actual preferences.

A "none of the above" vote would at least indicate that they didn't feel any of the games in the category were acceptable, instead of forcing them to choose the lesser of the evils.

I disagree whit this if that would be so then it would be almost every year none of above since the user base on mmorpg.com are generaly prety negative, and a "none of above option" is kina stupid imo.

Whether they are negative or not, they could either vote for the game they liked or register a non-vote "none of the above".

It would show statistically that X number of voters preferred this game, that game or none of the listed games while maintaining a total of everyone who voted in each category.

So instead of people either choosing a game in a category that they really didn't think deserved it OR not voting at all, you would get a tally of every single vote.

Example:

220 votes for X game

313 votes for Y game

68 votes for none of the above

Total Votes: 601

Rather Than:

220 votes for X game

313 votes for Y game

68 visitors who did not vote because they did not want to choose any of the available options

Total Votes: 533

The resulting percentage would reflect exactly how popular a given game in each category really was based on the percentage of positive votes against the total of all votes, including non-votes.

It's just like voting in an election.

If all of the votes, even those for none of the above, are tallied, it broadens the percentage across the board.

Rather than showing a candidate won X percentage of the vote based solely on the cumulative of votes for or against them, it shows the actual percentage of the popular vote that they received based on every single vote, even those that were neither for nor against.

So while it may not have an impact on whether they get elected or not, it will still show how much actual popular support they received.

I agree completely, they never should have eliminated the "none of the above" category. In fact, I purposely threw my vote away on VG in the first question (best new game of the 2007?) just to keep the LotRO fans from becoming insufferable. But none of the above was still my choice.

Sorry LotRO fans, but claiming the top spot in a year of zero competition is hardly an honor.... more of a booby prize..... sort of like winning the Daytona 500 because all the other big names in racing decided not to show up until next year.

Still, I was forced to vote in several categories where I'd rather have chosen none of the above or skipped voting due to a lack of any real opinion. Best paid expansion....I played none of them, so I voted for the EQ 2 one, but why, I have no idea if any of them were good. (except for TBC...I knew that one was bad)

In the end, if EVE was on the list I picked it.... because ...I'm playing EVE atm...makes sense I suppose....

I still disagree that there sould be an option of "none of above" If players would think there all bad games, well then so be it? , the best one of the bad games will be the best one for that current year, how can a game that realy did not deserve it not be the best of that current year? then the others must have done even worse ...so it comes to the conclustion that it is simple the best of the year, but ofcourse that does not have to mean its a good game, its simple is the best of that "current" year.

I dont think anybody is waiting on a "none of above" result for almost every year. so what if there is no competation? that only means its not a great year, its the same as whit the oscars, if there have not been many great movies there will be very little competition, but thay wont putt an option "none of the movies" simple becouse its a little bid stupid, a year is a year , weather there good games or bad ones there has to be picked one of them imo.

Playing: World of Warcraft.
    Played: Lord of the Rings Online, Starwars Galaxies.
    Tried: Starwars the Old Republic, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Aion.

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180

Originally posted by Gameloading

Happens basically everytime.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• PegasusJFPegasusJF Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by Greatness
    Originally posted by Gameloading
    Originally posted by daemonbarber I suspect that EVE will not fair so well this year, with the voting coming immediately after their little 'oops'.

Happens basically everytime.

If EVE fares well or not, what happens happens.

But what of it if CCP posts that this vote is up. In RL it's called campaigning.

vote for what you wish, and that's all there is to it.

But to be quite honest, IMHO EVE should win most improved.

Why? One word: Trinity.

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

Originally posted by Cola

Would be nice to have more choices.
    Agreed, the way it's constructed it's not really a valid reader poll. 

The Best Overall Game of 2007 should have included ALL the games on the left side of the screen

<-- there

• ThunD2ThunD2 Member Posts: 20

Most of the games I'd vote for weren't there , I ended up answering just 1 question.

• kikinchazkikinchaz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Had to give VG the love it deserves - its come a long way. Its obvious WoW will just dominate though. Youve got a huge playerbase vs split up much smaller playerbases.

WoW is fantastic at first, and still is in short bursts with big breaks in between. But now its just become boring after 2 years. I guess that just happens with most games though tbh.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Originally posted by Zulika

I could only answer for most anticipated. The rest  I needed none of the above.
    Agreed.  The only noteworthy things about 2007 for the MMORPG genre was the overall poor showing and the various disasters like Vanguard, Auto Assault and Gods and Heroes.  

Looking back at this year, there should have been a choice not only of "None of the Above" but also "Let's not see another year like this"

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Don't worry, MMORPG.COM will receive yet another surprising jump in accounts as the EVEbois all create 50 new accounts each to counteract CCPs' stupidity.

Originally posted by Flummoxed

Originally posted by Cola

Would be nice to have more choices.
    Agreed, the way it's constructed it's not really a valid reader poll. 

The Best Overall Game of 2007 should have included ALL the games in the game list: www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/show/all/sCol/estimatedRelease/sOrder/desc

Fixed.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

I don't see why so many feel Second Life doesn't fit other than the EQ-clones have been so prolific that people think that's the only typeof MMORPG.

Second Life is Massively Multiplayer. It's Online. People roleplay - in very scary ways, but they do it. It's a Game - an activity providing entertainment or amusement.

Grinding, levels, and raids are not the defining features of an MMORPG; they're just the most common.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

Instead of a "None of the above," I would've liked to have been able to vote for my own choice, especially for the free MMO part.

• U-TurnU-Turn Member UncommonPosts: 164

This was a very bad year for MMORPGs.  Any poll where were are potentially voting for Vanguard as the best game is just laughable.  How about a "Worst game of 2007"?  Lots of runners for that title.

Let's hope 2008 is not all hype and no substance.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Originally posted by Shannia

While I respect the the staff for coming up with these "choices" for us, next year please have another option listed "None of the Above" in each category.  Really, some of those "choices" you gave us just plain suck.  On a side note, it wasn't your fault.  We've had a pretty bad spell the past few years.

I agree.  Please give us that option.

• MiexonMiexon Vendetta Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 181

Yea this vote definitely sucks this year. Only like 15 games to chose from total.  How about best underdog mmo!  Allowing people to chose from games other than wow, eq, eve, and etc. Definitely saddened due to the lack of options available.

-1 mmorpg.com

Member of the Phoenix Alliance Guild
    in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

• elliottwaveelliottwave Member Posts: 1

Your suspicion seems to be blown out of the water by a recent news article:

"eve online: breaks the wall yet again!

reported by CCP Wrangler | 2007.12.10 14:46:54 | NEW

On 2007.12.09 20:18 Tranquility's simultaneous user number reached an astonishing 41,690 up from 38,242. This marks yet another proud moment in EVE Online's history. Records are made to be broken and EVE continues to attract new users with every expansion. This proves yet again that EVE is not simply aging gracefully, but is continually adapting, expanding, and improving in ways that will keep EVE competitive for years to come."

If this was a "major catastrophe" as many are reporting it, I don't think there would be enough of the player base left to reach this new record.

It turns out the bug in question affected only a very small minority of people as the required circumstances to reproduce the bug are very rare.

At any rate, any publicity is good publicity and the new graphics are just astonishing. EVE really makes all other MMO's look like the creations of 2 year olds with crayons now.

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

Yeah, this is a lesser of two evils situation as it is each year.

We're not so much voting on OUR opinion as we are on MMORPG.com's opinion.  They could sit around and ask, "Which one of our favorites do they like the best?", for all that we know.

Every year they get the same complaint about this poll, and yet every year it's designed the same way.  They need to add a vote to each game in their games list for each category so that a reader can go to that game, vote for it, and be done with it.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

What's amazing is the very first sentence of page 1 of the poll is:

"In 2006, MMORPG.com users voted overwhelmingly in favor of the "none of the above" option in terms of their favorite game launched in that year."

Yet, they failed to include it for this year.

• HardinHardin Member Posts: 70

I voted for EVE again for third year running.

It has been the most developed MMORPG - the new graphics are simply awesome and many other changes have enhanced the game. Yes they fecked up the patch and yes there are a lot of bugs due to its implementation but on past CCP performance these will be ironed out reasonably quickly. They certainly aren't game breaking as some imply.

It is by a country mile the best Sci-Fi MMORPG. Although I have been hearing good things about Tabula Rasa so may check that out at some stage.

Finally it is Game of the Year because quite simply EVE is best. Not saying that it is best for everyone - it certainly wont float everyone's boat - but its player generated content (epic wars, calamitous betrayals, huge heists, magnificent markets) gives EVE a life of its own that no other MMORPG comes near touching at the moment... 

Amarr Victor

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

I would like to know why Star Trek Online is on the listing of new games, when it doesn't meet the minimum requirements set forth on the qualifications to be listed; IE: 5 SCREENSHOTS (only 1 as of now).

And that Darkfall is not listed for new games....  What, is Darkfall taking to long to develop?  Well heck, the same goes for STO.

Oh I would like to add in a new category for next year:

Most anticipated bomb*

* Qualifications: Large hype, expected to be canceled. Example: Gods and Heroes.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• OudoksujaOudoksuja Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by elliottwave

"Major catastrophe" as many are reporting it, I don't think there would be enough of the player base left to reach this new record.

Indeed.. Funny how the "major catastophe" has increased player base substantially. Or it's something else.. Maybe the best mmo design, imba pvp, insanely huge free graphics upgrade expansion that fixed a pile of old bugs and improved performance on the same go, linux and mac clients..

Sure, it could be the "major catastrophe."

• digitalmandigitalman Member Posts: 3

As some others here have mentioned, while the EVE patch bug did have dire consequence for those who installed it, the affected number of people was relativally small. The latest dev blog posted about 250 people or so, and CCP even coordinated with groups like Geek Squad to have them go out and fix user's PCs who were broken by the patch and couldn't be fixed over the phone.

EVE is by no means perfect, as most of it's players will tell you. But we do love our "game". I place that in quotes as to some is seems almost belitting to call it as such. Frusterations aside, this online world we inhabit has largly been shaped by us, and we are very proud of it.

I took my time voting through the categories, and there are some games (Pirates of the Burning Sea) that I am eagerly awaiting. But this is no spamming. The EVE fanbase believes very strongly that it stands tall above the rest.

• eveasdaeveasda Member Posts: 1
    EVE-Online - the BEST!!!
  • CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

Really surprised that SWG and AO weren't options for the Sci Fi category.  AO at least should have been an option for best free to play, as that would have been my choice.  And no DAOC anywhere?  Since original EQ was an option for best game overall, I would think DAOC and even AC should have been options.  I'm guessing subscription numbers were part of the criteria to get listed.