Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What PvP title will be worth calling PvP?

I have to say with three to four upcoming PvP titles coming out in 2008 my hopes are high I can finally dump all the other MMO trash off my my computer. The question now is which one will deliver the best overall PvP experience? My only complaint is most of these games are still class based, and not sandbox.

Class base games that are either PvP, or have PvP have no true sense of balance. It's basically rock Paper scissors. One class can take out one class, but that class can't take out this class crud. This is why my hopes are more geared for darkfall than AOC or War. Sandbox games the players have more controll over their own weaknesses, and strenghts than just the devs telling them which class has an advantage over another class. I just want to see what the other PvPers feel is going to be a worth while game, and why?

Comments

• ImpyrielImpyriel Member UncommonPosts: 711

Originally posted by Mistick

The question now is which one will deliver the best overall PvP experience?

I chose Warhammer because of my experience with Mythics previous game Dark Age of Camelot ( without any doubt the greatest PvP experiences I have had to date ). Plus the Warhammer (and Warhammer 40k)  IPs are excellent.

Other games on that list I have an interest in are Age of Conan and Darkfall though. Darkfall is so open-ended and the Conan IP is just my big pull for AoC (not so much the pvp although from what I've read it sounds pretty good).

Mainly Warhammer though.

• NaryysysNaryysys Member Posts: 117

I have to agree with Impyriel, Mythic knows how to do PvP.  The frontiers were a little slice of brilliance, and I think Mythic has learned a LOT from DAoC.  Heck, they even have classic servers up for the players that didn't want Trials of Atlantis (READ: Which is to say, 90% of the players ).  Age of Conan does sound like it could have some great stuff going for it, but I really didn't like Anarchy Online, so I'm kinda hesitant to pick up another Funcom title.  Only time will tell, though.

• Aren_DAren_D Member UncommonPosts: 92

My vote vent for Spellborn.
    1.Unique combat system witch includes fps aiming and RPG skills, in addition customizable skilldesk.
    2. Gear independent combat.
    3. All classes are hybrids, every class has its strengths and weaknesses. That makes all classes are strong if played right and all classes are weak if played wrong.
    4. Manual aim and dodge.
    5. No mana. Don't need to waste time on restoring it.
    6. No luck mechanics. Lucky row of procs/crits/resists won't work here.
    7. No "unfair" mechanics as stuns, polymorph,immobilize,fear and other mechanics witch makes players unable to act.
    8. Overall skill based PvP system.

Spellborn already has The Arena and The Mines as PvP areas. In addition "The Shard Conquest" is planed as additional PvP ( and maybe PvE) content. Witch probably will contain Guild vs Guild or House vs House PvP content.

"Don't argue with dick-heads, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

• MistickMistick Member Posts: 100

Spellborn indeed looks like an overall new concept. I just  hope it works out where it is indeed a skill based game, and not pick a classs to beat a class.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I voted Darkfall, if it gets released. Otherwise its Chronicles of  Spellborn.

• gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503

WAR. If it's DAoC only slightly better, that's enough for me.

MMORPG Maker

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

Darkfall - if it comes in 08. Skill based FFA PVP, with real risk and reward - yes please!

AOC - FFA PVP server with siege battles. I don't like the idea of blood money however, as it doesn't sound like it will equate to much risk/reward. Hopefully they do decide on a FFA PVP ruleset with a form of item looting, then we'll be talking!

WAR - sounds decent, but I [personally] often find I get bored with the restrictive and repetitive nature of RVR and (resetting) zones, as well as zerg vs zerg battles with little risk turn me off. I however am hopeful that I will be pleasantly surprised.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

spell born.  no autotarget  everything is aimed.  if your sword hits something whether ally or enemy it gets hit.  if your fire ball hits something it gets hit.   there's even stuff like jumping to get out of an earth spike spell. 

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• ShohadakuShohadaku Member Posts: 581

My vote went to other, because I am most interested in Fallen Earth.

Not fixed to any simple class.

Warhammer will get a try out of me just for the reason I used to play the tabletop version. It has promise, but only playing it will decide.

Darkfall has the best concept of pvp but lets see how good the game itself is.

Most of all I am waiting for what bioware cooks up.

Lets see who delivers.

• undiesusaundiesusa Member Posts: 116

Originally posted by paulscott

spell born.  no autotarget  everything is aimed.  if your sword hits something whether ally or enemy it gets hit.  if your fire ball hits something it gets hit.   there's even stuff like jumping to get out of an earth spike spell. 

You just described darkfall except darkfall has FFA pvp and full loot. Poor choice imo.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Chronicles of spellborn is real.   and spell born loot wouldn't mean anything since armor is there to be pretty,  and all weapons are unique to the person so you couldn't go into a town with them anyways.

has FFA PvP zones, and the most profitable zones are FFA.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• undiesusaundiesusa Member Posts: 116

Chronicles of spellborn is real.   and spell born loot wouldn't mean anything since armor is there to be pretty,  and all weapons are unique to the person so you couldn't go into a town with them anyways.

Hate to say it bud, but Darkfall is as real as Spellborne is. Additionally, your final little statement there about how FFA pvp has no purpose?

Hmm, Spellbourne pales in comparison to the "purpose" of Darkfall. Build a world, like the players of Eve have, let the player control it, build their own cities, make their own laws, and see how the system plays out. Yes if your afraid of dying, and losing your epicz, the game is probably not for you.

But if you want the singular thrill of burning another gullds city to the bitter ground, with you and your mates efforts, there is NOTHING in the current market that can compete with Darkfall.

• MR-BubblesMR-Bubbles Member Posts: 649

Originally posted by undiesusa

You just described darkfall except darkfall has FFA pvp and full loot. Poor choice imo.

Also Darkfall is the king of Vapourware.

I voted for the last option as i mainly play EvE which is billed as  a PvP sci-Fi game which is pretty much what it is. Oh and its classless and leveless too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Retired from: Neocron, Everquest, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, RF Online and Final Fantasy VII

Currently Playing : EvE Online.

Originally posted by undiesusa

Hate to say it bud, but Darkfall is as real as Spellborne is. Additionally, your final little statement there about how FFA pvp has no purpose?

Hmm, Spellbourne pales in comparison to the "purpose" of Darkfall. Build a world, like the players of Eve have, let the player control it, build their own cities, make their own laws, and see how the system plays out. Yes if your afraid of dying, and losing your epicz, the game is probably not for you.

But if you want the singular thrill of burning another gullds city to the bitter ground, with you and your mates efforts, there is NOTHING in the current market that can compete with Darkfall.

Problem is unlike EvE it never got past Alpha stage so it failed. Give up and move on im sure there are other games out there to satisfy you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Retired from: Neocron, Everquest, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, RF Online and Final Fantasy VII

• GuitanoGuitano Member Posts: 208

Darkfall Online will be the best choice for PvP! Any other MMO on the way out or already released is unbalanced, instanced, quest driven based, item based, gear based, level based, grind based with lame PvP restrictions. Those kinds of MMO's that are unbalanced, instanced, quest driven, item, gear, level, grind based ARE very much made for dudes that cant handle REAL PvP and REAL SKILL in PvP. Many MMO's being made are looking for the big $$$ from the larger population of dudes that need to wear a dress while they play. So yes... again... Darkfall Online WILL be the greater PvP MMO. Somtimes the truth hurts! 

• JsteinerJsteiner Member Posts: 217
    Im sorry... was someone complaining that they were gonna make DAoC more like WoW?

GOOD!

DAoC interface = suck.

WoW PvP = suck.

WoW roll diversity = sub-par (Not as bad as some games... definitely not as good as DAoC)

DAoC Graphics engine = suck.

DAoC animations = suck.

take the DAoC suck and replace with WoW strengths and you know what? You have a great money maker in a fantastic IP with years of replayability.

end story.

The ultimate solution to every problem: more space marines.

• GuitanoGuitano Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

Originally posted by Guitano

Darkfall Online will be the best choice for PvP! Any other MMO on the way out or already released is unbalanced, instanced, quest driven based, item based, gear based, level based, grind based with lame PvP restrictions. Those kinds of MMO's that are unbalanced, instanced, quest driven, item, gear, level, grind based ARE very much made for dudes that cant handle REAL PvP and REAL SKILL in PvP. Many MMO's being made are looking for the big $$$ from the larger population of dudes that need to wear a dress while they play. So yes... again... Darkfall Online WILL be the greater PvP MMO. Somtimes the truth hurts! 

This game was announced in 2001, its almost 7 years later.... expect another 7 imo

You should read up on the dev updates. Yes the game was announced in 01, they have revamped the game since then, moved the studio since then and much more. The game will be going beta soon... to much info is out, even a df fan got sent not to long ago to the studio and got to play the game.

• tyrrintyrrin Member UncommonPosts: 39

Age of Conan will be the only true PvP game, even Warhammer is nothing more than a multiplayer shooter at heart, not a real mpog.

Originally posted by Guitano

Darkfall Online will be the best choice for PvP! Any other MMO on the way out or already released is unbalanced Not really in EvE every ship is ballanced on its strengths and weaknesses, instanced Non of these in EvE , quest driven based Nope its all Player Driven in EvE ;P , item based Items are important in EvE but all items can be made by players, gear based isant this the same as items?, level based No levels in EvE , grind based Nope none of this either with lame PvP restrictions ?????. Those kinds of MMO's that are unbalanced, instanced, quest driven, item, gear, level, grind based ARE very much made for dudes that cant handle REAL PvP and REAL SKILL in PvP. Many MMO's being made are looking for the big $$$ from the larger population of dudes that need to wear a dress while they play. So yes... again... Darkfall Online WILL be the greater PvP MMO Exept for eve which has all those featured darkfall will suposidly have plus more AND its been out for 4-5 years and has constantly grown nonstop.. Somtimes the truth hurts! 
    The truth is that Darkfall ahs yet to show AY evidence that its more than a few shoddy looking movies with DirectX 6.0 graphics.

If Darkfull really is growing into a realgame then why not link us to some evidence [assuming its more than hot air from the fanbis].

• jdilling00jdilling00 Member Posts: 26

well I had to vote for darkfall, with conan being a close second, and if eve were to get a live fireing system rather than click to attack I wouldnt be voting right now I would be playing eve. I hear the king of vaporware comment a lot with darkfall, but realy any of these games could go in a second.  darkfalls age to me seems to indicate they picked up some deep pockets investors in italy. Darkfalls graphics will not be the best on the market when released , they are optimizing for large scale combat in a zoneless world. While I realy enjoy a game of chess with fancy pieces on a marble board I have played many a game with less fancy pieces and had fun. I have also seen a number of mmos implement graphics upgrades on there existing titles. if half of what they have said is correct about combat and city siege it will be exactly what I have been looking for.

• JsteinerJsteiner Member Posts: 217
    I disagree entirely. DAoC animations may have made the cut in its prime, but now I would actually expect a variance in spell and attack animations that looked smooth and cool. Dizzyating EQ2-style overboard POW WIZ BANG animations? no. But certainly more than DAoC.

The ultimate solution to every problem: more space marines.

The fact is darkfall may have outdated graphics compared to some games, but so does wow, and we all know how that game is doing. I don't go for graphics, I go for the best pvp enviorment, and most hardcore pvpers will agree. I mean come on look at UO it's still alive and kicking at it's old age and it isn't even a 3D game. The best thing about DF is it is the closest thing to what old UO is about plus some. Sorry but if this game is vaporware, it's the best damn invisiable game I have heard of.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

I like how people are constantly talking about their dream MMOs, reminiscing on the old days of UO, and putting their faith in jokegames like darkfall when their dream game has already existed for years, EVE. I see this all too often

Originally posted by Asamof

I like how people are constantly talking about their dream MMOs, reminiscing on the old days of UO, and putting their faith in jokegames like darkfall when their dream game has already existed for years, EVE. I see this all too often

Well UO was the birth of fantasy online pvp. Many players still swear by it's mechanics. The reason being there isn't a balance issue. Class based games are well wacked because there is always a class that beats an another class, and not because of skill or template. Not one class base game ever gave me a feel that I can beat any player with skill like UO did.

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384

Darkfall Online, if it arrives.