Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To late to start?

Hey everyone! Have a few questions about this game.

One, how long has it been out? And is it to late to get into it and I guess catch up to where the updates are?

Also what is a good server to start on if I decide to get into this game?

Thanks for all the help!

Comments

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332

Definitely not too late, with new holiday deals (9.99 per month) being offered I think lots of new players will be joining.  I no longer play so I'll let others recommend a server to you.

Its been out since March of this year as I recall, and its not a slow grinding game so you'll catch up in content just fine.

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by Trollstar

Definitely not too late, with new holiday deals (9.99 per month) being offered I think lots of new players will be joining.  I no longer play so I'll let others recommend a server to you.
    Its been out since March of this year as I recall, and its not a slow grinding game so you'll catch up in content just fine.

I agree with a troll...wth...oh wait nevermind got confused

I agree with Troll here, definately not to late and even though I do believe you could have googled this information and read recent threads regarding all of this, look up Brandywine as a home server.   From what I heard, Landroval has a decent sized community there, I just could not find them during my playing hours so I jumped to Brandywine and see lost of people.

So far, it seems that mixed in with the new people are people who are rolling alt's and gathering crafting mats for mains...so they are willing to help you out as you work in certain area's.  Been a real nice community some far and have not seen a single issue of 1337 KIDZ since I started...not even anything outside of fake arguing about issues.  Most mature MMO ever for me.

/crosses fingers and knocks-on-wood

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• Jaxom92Jaxom92 Member Posts: 267

It's definitely not too late to start. The starter areas are lower population then the rest of the world, but there are still people out there, from what I've observed as of last week leveling an alt for crafting.

Don't worry if you can't find a group for the fellowship quests in the starter areas, as they aren't necessary to level. You can come back in five levels and solo it yourself (depending on class, maybe more) if you want to. I highly recommend the epic quest line, though it is necessary to find a group for certain portions of it.

Serverwise, Brandywine is always a good pick for a high population. Elendilmir, the server I'm on, seems to have a good population too. Silverlode and Landroval seem to be pretty good to, but I can't really say for sure.

Check out my LOTRO Blog: www.middleearthadventurer.blogspot.com

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Not too late.  My main is a 27 captain dating back to open beta.  Taking it very slow.  There's no rush to 50 in this game, because there's no rush for endgame gear.  You can raid a few instances at endgame just for the experience of checking it out, but endgame crafted gear is nearly as good as raid gear...and easier to get.

I recommend taking your time and savoring the content/stories.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Have a 50 Captain I got in under 2 months.

U decide if you want  to level that fast but IMO the best content is in the 32-42 level group so there is where you will have the most fun, or where I did. Angmar was a head ache, Misty was slow and those are your options after 45.

Join up, Brandywine is popular, I play Landroval. I think there is a 3rd. You may prefer a slow server. Grouping is harder but you have more ore and stuff at your disposal.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Brandywine has a great population.

Don't speed level....take your time, enjoy the game. LoTRO is a lot of fun the whole way through.

I'll take this chance to recommend that you select Explorer as your first crafting profession, for your first character. This way you can harvest as you level, and make some good starter money. Explorer will give you the ability to harvest metals, wood, boil leather, and make your own armor.

Just a friendly tip...welcome to the game

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by free2play

U decide if you want  to level that fast but IMO the best content is in the 32-42 level group so there is where you will have the most fun, or where I did. Angmar was a head ache, Misty was slow and those are your options after 45.
    Join up, Brandywine is popular, I play Landroval. I think there is a 3rd. You may prefer a slow server. Grouping is harder but you have more ore and stuff at your disposal.

Sorry, but level 50 under 2 months is that fast? :)

REALITY CHECK

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Originally posted by Thillian

Yes, very.

I am playing since 14th of April, still didn't hit 50 :) (49,5, but still...)

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• holdth3picklholdth3pickl Member Posts: 8

nah, join brandywine and there is still tons of people in the lower levels.

• AckbarNLAckbarNL Member Posts: 458

Well i have been playing this game since lanch and i have not catched up whit the content yet, im only about to start book 7, and i have been playing this game a lot, so it depens a lot on your playstyle , but i gess you catch up someday eventuly, but trust me, dont try to rush things, try out everything, and try not to focus on leveling but on enjoyment.

Playing: World of Warcraft.
    Played: Lord of the Rings Online, Starwars Galaxies.
    Tried: Starwars the Old Republic, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Aion.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by DonnieBrasco

Originally posted by Thillian

Yes, very.

I am playing since 14th of April, still didn't hit 50 :) (49,5, but still...)

DB

Well level 50 in Lotro is like 4-6 days played time? Correct me if i'm wrong, but even when I was trying to do all the crafting to grandmastery and open all traits it didnt get past the 6 days.

REALITY CHECK

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• troyautroyau Member UncommonPosts: 8

LoTRO launched late April this year. A lot of hardcore players are working on their 4th or 5th level 50 alt... but it is never too late to start.

Getting to 50 isn't much of a chore, getting all your traits maxed along the way is another thing. They're not too fun to do solo either but get with a half decent guild who are working on their alts and you'll find having company makes the grinding much more pleasurable

• Jaxom92Jaxom92 Member Posts: 267

For me, even if I'm not playing with my kinmates, just having the chat open and talking to them helps distract me from the fact I'm trying to kill 240 frickin crawlers in the Troll-Shaws just for a small agility upgrade in the trait.

Check out my LOTRO Blog: www.middleearthadventurer.blogspot.com

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Not to late to start.  New people coming in and lot of level 50's rolling alts so there's plenty of low levels around to group with.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Never too late to start playing any mmorpg.

• VallenarVallenar Member Posts: 124

Nah, it's a great time to join as a lot of bugs and balance issues have been worked out.

Plus with the end-game still in development you won't be missing much during your leveling experience.

Try Elendilmir... great friendly server :)