Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DF update #19

Comments

• outlaw101outlaw101 Member Posts: 351

Thanks alot for posting this, keep up the great work guys, its looking great!

"Don't hold breath about another KOTOR game coming from Bioware" - Chris Preistly

"Bioware is more intrested in pursueing development of it's own Intellectual properties"

- James Henly

One thing i liked was 'We don't think that you really need more than one character with the flexibility the skill system allows'

GREAT WORK GUYS, KEEP IT UP!

"Don't hold breath about another KOTOR game coming from Bioware" - Chris Preistly

"Bioware is more intrested in pursueing development of it's own Intellectual properties"

- James Henly

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Yes, the journal contained some interesting info. Shame about testing running behind, but Developers never estimate the testing effort correctly. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UbberGooberUbberGoober Member Posts: 247

They seem to have independant testers or paid people doing the testing for them. The recent screenshots show a battle at what looks like an orc clan city with a few dozen guys running around and beating the hell out of each other.

www.darkfallonline.com/gallery/visuals

BTW the first 4 screens are new enjoy, they are recent. The first one seems the most interesting, looks like a siege.

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Found this on the AS site :

Game Programmer:

Computer Games Industry

Overview:

Aventurine S.A. is looking for a senior game logic programmer for our highly anticipated MMORPG Darkfall Online.(www.darkfallonline.com)

The position requires you to implement gameplay features and system features in Java.

Java?????

ROFLMAO

This is going to be a WEB-BROWSER game ! ? !

• snoopy20snoopy20 Member Posts: 85

Great update. Getting more hopeful, and looking forward to the videos.

Currently playing: Planetside, Americas Army.

Praying to Zeus for: Darkfall.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275
    Originally posted by Shoal

Game Programmer:

Computer Games Industry

Overview:

Aventurine S.A. is looking for a senior game logic programmer for our highly anticipated MMORPG Darkfall Online.(www.darkfallonline.com)

The position requires you to implement gameplay features and system features in Java.
    Java?????
    ROFLMAO

I think its for the ingame web-browser feature, you can see that in the DF UI thread.

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772
    Originally posted by daarco

Game Programmer:

Computer Games Industry

Overview:

Java?????
    ROFLMAO

I think its for the ingame web-browser feature, you can see that in the DF UI thread.

Might be for the actual game programming as well i hear that Java has come along way to the point where you can do just as much with it as C++.

• hopefadeshopefades Member Posts: 46

"Things have been progressing smoothly in most areas except for testing. We're behind on the actual tasks and it's a lot of work. We have on-site testers on the job right now and we're looking for more. "

Hey I have this wild and crazy idea. Since you're looking for more testers why don't you have something called A PUBLIC BETA TEST.

Then you can have tons of testers free of charge testing. Pretty cool idea right??

""All this work is making it hard to release more updates than what you get in this journal and even this is a stretch."

They think releasing a dev journal once every 2 weeks is a "stretch"?. Man it must take so much work snapping screenshots and recording videos. Fucken hilarious. 

Hey I have another great idea. Why don't you hire someone called a PR man. Then all he can do is sit around releasing all your updates for you. Great idea right?  Unfortunately they don't want to do that though.. wonder why ?  Instead they just complain that they have "too much work" so they can't release any news.

Do they really expect anyone to buy into these BS excuses? Bunch of fools.

I have a feeling the Darkfall fans are going to have to wait a really LONG time still before even getting a sniff of a possible Beta to play.

• UbberGooberUbberGoober Member Posts: 247

Hey I have this wild and crazy idea. Since you're looking for more testers why don't you have something called A PUBLIC BETA TEST.

The game is not ready for public testing, it's in pre beta stage. You can't realy put in in closed beta unless they are done, we have no idea where they are at this very moment; they are still adding content and features or at least finishing the overall work that needs to be done but they still need to polish it a bit before they get a clan beta going. Most of the closed testing that will deal with beta and testers will deal with balancing the game, touch up and polish.

They have a few dozen or so testers aside from the developers and they are paid to test it and offer input on what needs to be changed.

Originally posted by UbberGoober
    The game is not ready for public testing, it's in pre beta stage.

Ever heard of a closed Beta testing?

You trying to tell me they can't invite a few hundred testers into a closed testing phase?

They have a few dozen or so testers aside from the developers and they are paid to test it and offer input on what needs to be changed.

you can't test a mmorpg with 12 people. You need hundreds at the least..

Game Programmer:

Computer Games Industry

Overview:

Java?????
    ROFLMAO

Check the job posting. 

Originally posted by Scriar

Game Programmer:

Computer Games Industry

Overview:

Java?????
    ROFLMAO

Might be for the actual game programming as well i hear that Java has come along way to the point where you can do just as much with it as C++.

No, it has not.  Not even close.

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332

Originally posted by hopefades

You trying to tell me they can't invite a few hundred testers into a closed testing phase?

Despite rumors to the contrary, software testing (even for games) is a profession and cannot be done by just anyone.  Too many companies make this mistake and fail to understand the importance of real QA testing and rely far too heavily on beta testers.

Beta testing is mostly worthless, the reports are disorganized, hard to reproduce and unclear due to the lack of training and tools by the testers.  There is no substitute for a trained QA staff, and in fact, most software is released being tested only by these sorts of folks.  Beta testing is a phenomenon of applications that have to run on a wide variety of hardware platforms and it real value is in identifying problems with drivers, networks and other systems outside of the software base.

Adventurine is talking about qualified, trained software testers, and those are hard to come by, especially if you're a game company located in Greece, which isn't well known as the Silicon valley of Europe.

Besides, even if they did invite a few hundred testers into a closed beta, there's a good chance they'd never tell us about it.  Its just not their style.

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

Hell, If they've created even some of the game with java so far, I don't care if they create it all with java, It's working alot better than when other companies used c+.

- James Henly

The stumbling block with Java is speed: interpreted Java runs something like 20 times slower than C. Nothing prevents the Java language from being compiled and there are just-in-time compilers appearing at this writing which offer significant speed-ups. It is not inconceivable that full native compilers will appear for the more popular platforms, but without those there are classes of problems that will be insoluble with Java because of the speed issue.

Cant wait to see 2,000 people slamming their Java game code all at once.  Should be fun.

There hasn't EVER been a commercial grade MMORPG or game developed using Java before..  and there's a reason for that..

It's great they've added wind resistance to the ships, zig-zagging to avoid maximum resistance seems to realistic, It's great!

- James Henly

• QuestionableQuestionable Member Posts: 653
    Originally posted by hopefades

You think they can keep DF under such a tight wrap with that many players? No they cant and perhaps if you would open up your mind and look at the consequences of your suggestions you'd be better off.

you can't test a mmorpg with 12 people. You need hundreds at the least..

If you can't tell their not testing everything at once but only certain parts which doesn't require hundreds of people.

Is it better than an open beta? They're pros and cons for both which is why their going to have both but decided to start off with a more profesional one since they want open beta to not be so buggy. Perhaps you should re-read their goals.

• QuestionableQuestionable Member Posts: 653

ROFL    Blind Faith and Ignorance of the reality of the situation here is so blatant, I have to wonder if  outlaw101 might just be viral.

The only ignorant one seems to be you since think that having some code in java makes it a web-based game. Your posts are full of "Do better next time".

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Its nice to see so many DF haters reading the updates : )

• MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698

Trying to convince us, telling us Adventurine is a bad company (cough hopefades cough) its not gonna get anywhere

You dont like DF or Adventurine? {mod edit} They are doing an amazing job and you not appreciating the fact that they are making the game you'll most likely be playing in the near future is absurd!

If they were ready for the closed beta, they would release it. Yes yes I know that they said some time back, maybe 2 months ago, that they could launch beta anytime, so they were wrong, big deal. And all the junk of them saying 'beta beta beta' like five years ago was a load of shits because it never happened, and no one has yet to prove it.

So if you don't like DF, don't waste your precious life trolling the forums because your accomplishing nothing aside from making people like you less. But if thats how you like things, great! Well done. If you're going to bash the company, post on the official DF forums so you are actually heard by THEM.

Originally posted by Nasica

Game Programmer:

Computer Games Industry

Overview:

Java?????

ROFLMAO

Ya dont think it would have anything to do with this would you ?

It clearly says Game programmer. Game logic is gameplay features .. not server technology.. So they are coding their gameplay systems in Java.. which is an extremely strange thing to be doing. It's completely unnecessary and doesn't provide any kind of "advantages"..

Originally posted by Murdus

Trying to convince us, telling us Adventurine is a bad company

Don't need to convince anyone of that. They do a good job of that on their own. All you have to do is look at their track record...  worste company I've ever seen when it comes to releasing anything in a timely manner.   They've already failed because of it.  Darkfall is a fossil.  The industry moved on a long time ago... leaving DF in the dust and vapors..  Soon games like AoC and War will launch and put the final nail into Darkfalls coffin for good.  Nobody cares about Darkfall anymore.. other then it's little cult following which isn't nearly enough to $ave it.

The last real hope this project had was releasing ASAP.  And judging by the sound of this last dev journal it looks like it's going to be a hell of a long time still before anything could actually be played commercially anytime soon..  Possibly even years..

• yami187yami187 Member Posts: 21

LOL java? its in C plus plus and java like swgpre cu was but bad coding XD bulliten boards your ui and stuff like that can be in java or somethign like that not sure on details but java can be mixed with  C++

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

CNN exclusive:

Aventurine buys out RuneScape-by-Jagex.  They upgraded the graphics engine, made the entire world ffa-pvp, and add new features, and finally rename the game to Darkfall Online.

JAVA programming, now that is too funny.  Can't see what direction they plan on taking this game now.

Oh, and for the record, I noticed how they are having issues with beta.  This eliminates a 2008 beta chance and most likely 2009 as well.  I hate being negative, but you've had to have been blind not to see the guild beta delay coming.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."