Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Numbers

The_HulksterThe_Hulkster Member Posts: 16

A majority of active players are guilded.

I've noticed a steady decline in guilded person numbers, despite the guildhalls.

At my workplace, we "underpromise and overdeliver" as our guest service motto and practice that each day.  We have seen the opposite happen here.

Comments

• KemarikKemarik Member Posts: 122

If you are referring to the web page that shows a list of all guilds, I have a completely different interpretation than yours.  That page has been clogged with many inactive guilds for a long time - including the one I started in that went inactive over a year ago.  In the past two month cycles, the game has disbanded all guilds that didn't have at least 10 members and/or didn't have a sufficient balance in their treasury.  The list is now about one third the size it was.  As of the last cycle, only active guilds now show on the list.  Out of those active guilds, I have seen a slow but steady increase in membership numbers over the past couple months.  My current guild has doubled in size.  There has been a ton of content added the past couple months and the server stability has greatly increased.  It's easier to retain new players now.

• KruniacKruniac Member Posts: 132

The Roma Victor thread - bringing you comedy since <whenever>

The game is dying - end. Sooner or later the VERM will run out, and Red will go out of business.

Heres what went wrong -

Server issues. Launch had way too many, and when I got banned, the server issues were still numerous. This is an era where upon launch, lag is expected, and within a month, its fixed. This just didnt happen. I dont care if they have 0.005 people working on the team, it should have been fixed in a timely manner. It wasnt, and a HUGE number of people didnt play the game.

Implementations. SO much was promised pre-launch, and nothing was delivered. I wasnt in the Beta, I dont know how ghetto it was back then (I imagine pretty much so, since its a beta.) I do know, however, that the game upon release and afterwards lacked 70% of the features listed on the main webpage. That is not a good way to push your game. In fact, I remember distinctively trying to get my brother to purchase the game so we could play it together, and he asked me how the game was. I was honest with him, and he nearly laughed me out of the room. We were vets of Ultima Online, Everquest, DAOC, and Asherons Call. We played with Anarchy Online and Shadowbane a little too. He had a certain standard of quality that had to be met, and RV at the time came nowhere near it. Unacceptable.

The Playerbase at the time. Oh boy. Aside from certain vets, and a few comedic characters, no one wants to see one person with 23987 accounts owning Corst.

-----

Now those are the facts. Here are my own opinionated additions.

Roleplaying. It just wasnt. People tried. A lot of people tried. Almost everyone failed. Cyne did it well enough, as well as a few others. Mostly, however, you would see the "lols" become prevailant, especially amongst such trash as <insert that chick's name here. Couldnt roleplay to save her virginity.. nevermind>

Carebearitis. You do not make an area nopvp. I dont care if its elysium (okay, maybe not elysium), you just dont do it. You do not make houses forcefields of doom, AND punish players for hitting cowards through the walls. You should have been able to walk in through that open doorway, and plow someone in the head. Idiotic.

Unrealism. The biggest flaw in my opinion. The game pushed realism so hard, and failed miserably. If I kill an NPC Legionnare, I should be able to loot his gear. End. If I kill a player (read carebearitis above), I should be able to take every belonging he has in his inventory. End. If I want to become LLM via PKing the current LLM, I shouldnt have to wait until they log on, all the while they chat in IRC getting info from players currently logged on.

Fucking lame.

Im Kruniac Zio, and thats my two cents. (Now without KFR threats! NEW!)

• CynewulfCynewulf Member Posts: 17

I just look in the C&E to gauge the liveliness of the game. When it's filled with vacuous nonsense such as the dozen "Guildhall Completed" threads, I know the game is dead. Or worse, an "RP" story about some guy punching a goat.

The day the game is reviving, there will be a 5-page flame war about something interesting, like a conflict. It's been about three months since something like that.

I see PI, 18th Legion, and guys from my own guild online and BUSY on a daily basis on the western side of the map.  With so much planning and construction going on, I have little interest or energy to post in the RV forums.  I suspect everybody else is the same way.  Your assumption that the level of flame wars in the forums is an indication of in-game activity is false.

• CynewulfCynewulf Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Kemarik

I see PI, 18th Legion, and guys from my own guild online and BUSY on a daily basis on the western side of the map.  With so much planning and construction going on, I have little interest or energy to post in the RV forums.  I suspect everybody else is the same way.  Your assumption that the level of flame wars in the forums is an indication of in-game activity is false.
    In-game activity, but not interesting in-game activity to any but the obsessive that need that 16th kiln.

I'm calling bullshit on the claim that building things leaves you too little time to post in the forums. That blue progress bar during every add is magical at making people browse and post in the forums. I did most my posting during adds or while waiting for a vigour bar to regenerate. That's the pace of gameplay in RV: a hell of a lot of waiting.

Truth is, you've nothing to say that would be considered new and interesting to other players. That's how it stands right now with RV. Guildhalls are already passe.

6000 brick and tile adds at 1 minutae each.

• VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492

Originally posted by Cynewulf

I just look in the C&E to gauge the liveliness of the game. When it's filled with vacuous nonsense such as the dozen "Guildhall Completed" threads, I know the game is dead. Or worse, an "RP" story about some guy punching a goat.
    The day the game is reviving, there will be a 5-page flame war about something interesting, like a conflict. It's been about three months since something like that.

You mean a classic HC HV thread? hehe, beta was SOOO much better

• jdagjdag Member Posts: 48

Yikes been three months, took a scroll through the rv forum and wow nothing was worth reading. I guess my thread 'say goodbye to pvp welcome pve' was correct.

• MrDDTMrDDT Member UncommonPosts: 276

Originally posted by jdag
    Yikes been three months, took a scroll through the rv forum and wow nothing was worth reading. I guess my thread 'say goodbye to pvp welcome pve' was correct.

It was more "Good bye playing Hello x new game"

-MrDDT

• DecimvsDecimvs Member Posts: 5

What the hell? Does MMO stand for Massive Multiplayer Online? I dont see the MASSIVE part anywhere in Roma Victor, haha.