Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best duo

thedrakonthedrakon Member UncommonPosts: 213

Me and my friend are going to make a static duo group next sunday (and then every sunday) I was wondering, wich duo class should we play.

I thought about Shaman/Berserker

Beast Lord/druid

Shaman/monk

My friend already played a druid to 65 .. he don't want to make another. I,m kind of bored of monk.  He finally choose shaman.  But for my part, I was suppose to go beast lord ... Should I got berserker or beast lord ... or there anything else better duo ?

I'm going to test the berserker .. but I would like to hear some advice

Comments

• kestorkestor Member Posts: 37

Shaman + monk

Pro : Great pulling/splitting mobs tools, high DPS, weak tanking possibility covered at high end with gears and AA.

Shaman + SK

Pro : Good pulling/splitting mobs tools, average DPS, Good tanking at high end with gears and AA.

Shaman + berserker

Pro : weak/none pulling/spliting mobs tools, best DPS in the game, weak tanking possibility at high end with gears and AA.

I will say that your choice depend mostly from your goals and playstyle in the game.

Good luck.

• thedrakonthedrakon Member UncommonPosts: 213

What about beast lord ?

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

Overall, I think the Beastlord is the best class to play for varied reasons.  Tank.  Slow. SoW.  Dps.  Pet.  Buffs.  Mana/HP regen spells.  You name it.  When played right, the Beastlord is truly a beast.

The Beastlord is not the end-all, be-all class; instead, it is simply a very well (best?) designed class.

As far as combinations are concerned, you have several options.

1)  Beastlord + Druid

You have everything as described above in addition to ports (useful especially when in trouble), healing which is crucial if Beastlord tanks (its slow is not as good as an ench's or shaman's), additional buffs, resists, etc.

2)  Beastlord + Cleric

3)  Monk + Druid*

4)  Monk + Shaman

5)  SK + Shaman*

6)  Paladin + Shaman*

7)  Paladin + Wizard^

*(know someone who did this and excelled)

^(do not knock it until you've tried it)

Overall, you want:

1) tank ability

2) heal ability

3) slow ability

4) dps ability

The Beastlord + Druid combination accomplishes the above well. 

My 4-box, back in the day:  Warrior, Beastlord, Enchanter, Cleric. 

I had some redundancies and was missing some things such as ports.  Nevertheless, worked well.

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

I have seen success, also, with mage/cleric - treat the mage pet as a tank, and the cleric as its healer :)

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

Enchanter and mage/necro all the way. Did mage enchanter with a friend of mine, and we had a smooth ride all the way up to 65

they're a lot of good proposition here. Thx

I will talk about those to my friend. 

I was wondering too,

Will Shaman/Beast lord will be too redundant ? or it could be good

since Beast lord still have spell Shaman don't have

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

BST + necro, necro + mage, or for the ultimate DPS necro + necro. Of course all of these will be kiting groups. You can't duo a BST + melee, because once past level 60 you will need a healer. My favorite is necro + necro, because that is the fastest killig duo out there by far.

Originally posted by thedrakon

I was wondering too,
    Will Shaman/Beast lord will be too redundant ? or it could be good
    since Beast lord still have spell Shaman don't have
    I think so.  The Shaman slow will certainly help with the Beastlord's ability to tank, but your heals will not be adequate if the two (and only you two) plan to duo. 

I would not duo a Shaman and Beastlord.  Instead, I think a Shaman with an SK, Monk, or Paladin would work better for your needs.

-----

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Back when I use to play EQ, I played a shaman with my ranger friend. The duo worked well all the way up. We picked up some people along the way sometimes though, that was what made it a blast. I couldn't stand to play it now after luclin was released.

I miss a game where each class had distinct strengths and weaknesses when compared to another class. It was great fun. I would slow the monsters and haste the ranger and we did very well.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Beastlord and necromancer hands down.  You'll be able to kite outdoors for fast, easy exp and slow nameds/summoners for loot and cash. 

Really the only way I could go back to EQ would be if I could find a beastlord to pair up with my necro. There's tons of old world content I never got to see but could flat out own with a bst-necro combo.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• Jtrav1987Jtrav1987 Member Posts: 79

I'm in a similar situation with the whole duo thing.  I plan on returning to EQ with my roomate, and I just have this feeling he is going to be something that will require myself to compliment his choice, rather than the other way around :)

Maybe I've just been out of the loop for awhile, but wouldn't a cleric and berserker or warrior work out alright, at least for the majority of the game?

Originally posted by Jtrav1987 

Maybe I've just been out of the loop for awhile, but wouldn't a cleric and berserker or warrior work out alright, at least for the majority of the game?

Berserker will require a lot of healing.  The Berserker is nutty DPS but cannot tank.  A Beserker, Shaman, and Cleric is a good trio, though.  I would  not, however, do that trio; there are better trios.

A Cleric and Warrior is a fundamental duo.  I think an SK and Cleric would be better for varied reasons such as 1) DPS, 2) Pulling, 3) utility SK spells, and 4) other. 

I hope you have fun.  Going to Combine server?

-----

Cleric, warrior is a excellent way to build around you and your a friend a solid group each time you log on. You can then add a slower (shaman, beastlord) then some DPS (rogue,berserker,wizzie,mage,ranger) then some puller maybe (monk, SK, pally, bard, necro) then you can fill the group as you like.

Very solid and active way to get the hand on the game again.

Good luck.

• sebbonxsebbonx Member Posts: 318

I most strongly recommend you avoid playing a warrior. It is one of the most useless classes in Everquest, in fact I can't think of a more useless character class in any game except maybe Vanguard where Brad also had a hand in making the class worthless.

Necromancer and Shaman are a great duo, don't even think of War/Cleric. I played a warrior and boxed one with two chanter/cleric and warrior is a garbage class in Everquest due to a piss poor design. These posters played CASTERS here for a reason, melee are gimped in EQ.

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

• Jtrav1987Jtrav1987 Member Posts: 79

Seems like everyone nowadays wants ez mode. :)

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by sebbonx

I most strongly recommend you avoid playing a warrior. It is one of the most useless classes in Everquest, in fact I can't think of a more useless character class in any game except maybe Vanguard where Brad also had a hand in making the class worthless.
    Necromancer and Shaman are a great duo, don't even think of War/Cleric. I played a warrior and boxed one with two chanter/cleric and warrior is a garbage class in Everquest due to a piss poor design. These posters played CASTERS here for a reason, melee are gimped in EQ.

Yep.  Everquest is easily the most poorly balanced MMO I've ever played.  Unless you're raiding I would rather have just about any other class in my group.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

Everyone has been correct about Warriors:  do not play them.

My first character to max level was a Warrior.  It was a constant struggle.  As one said, unless you raid, warriors are quite useless and under-powered.  I was a Recruitment Officer then Raid Leader in a Guild on my first server, so I had slightly different experiences as a Warrior.

I imagine just being an ordinary Warrior is the worst class in Everquest. 

-----

• lillinlillin Member Posts: 207

Necro & Beastlord

This by far would be your best bet.  I played a necro for years i can honestly say there isnt much you cant solo.  The pains are summoning mobs but this is where the bst lord can come in handy.  You have many bst buffs at your disposal and bst pet is pretty healthy for tanking, even necro pet can tank decently with bst buffs.  Also the slows a bst lord has will help out alot and at 53 i believe necros get thier rez ability so thats covered ( can be painful to get EE's for rez but plenty people farm and sell em).  Necro also has great utility from kiting, pulling, to dps. 

Example of use : say you and your friend want to get to botto of some nasty dungeon to a named spawn you want to camp.  well the bst may have problems gettin down there and ya dont wanna waste all day fighting every mob.  So easy way kill bst, fd necro all the way to your spot ( or swap invises) summon bst (or drag) rez bst up and start from there.

I have no doubt with this set up you will cruise through most content.

Originally posted by truenorthbg

" I imagine just being an ordinary Warrior is the worst class in Everquest. "

" I imagine just being an ordinary player is the worst class in Everquest. "

and in any game not matter what class you play.      

• krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214

Warrior is truly broken, a Paladin or SK would be far smarter to play. I would lean toward SK because of FD pulling. My credentials are:

ST for number 2 guild on Tunare Velious era-Primordium Guild

MT for Stromm Guild Sua Sponte to get them over the hump of VT

Warrior is the suck class of EQ, in fact the dev incharge should be fired for letting the class play the way it does. EQ is already not a very casual friendly game, limiting its player base further by lame ducking a class as popular as warrior should result in some firings.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

I'm going to have to say that cleric / pally, while good against undead, is not very good overall until they both have some decent gear and AAs.  I have that combo currently using an old account (from 2000) to level my cleric, and it is painfully boring and slow.  Yeah, unless you are retarded, neither is going to die, but pally's just don't have the dps to make the duo worth doing.  In the end, for decent fun and fast kills I'd go with 2 casters, 1 preferrably being a necro.  I personally would look at necro / druid if I were going to get a friend in a duo with me.  SoW, long term snares, good stacking dots, decent burst dps, ports, FD pull, harmony line, a pet to tank if needed, slow on undead mobs, good buffs, evac, heals, regen, and a ton of other utility between the two.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

If your friend is making a shaman you have a lot of choices that mesh well (shaman is one of the most popular choices for duo's)

I duo Mage / Shaman with my wife as our mains. Very little content the two of us cannot kill.

Shaman / Shadowknight is also an extremely powerful and versatile duo.

Neither of the above will be adversly affected by summoning mobs at higher levels, both have the means to single pull mobs. The sk is far more gear dependant than the mage, but can eventually become far more durable.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin