Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best solo quest class? (New Player)

SkudklattenSkudklatten Member Posts: 23

Hi.

I've recently started to play EQ2. I've been playing alot of mmorpg's and done lots of high end raiding in most games. But now I got a lil baby boy and even tho I love grouping and raiding I just don't have the time with the studies and the baby. But I love to relax a lil with some mmorpg when done with studies and the baby is sleeping.

I've been playing a lil with a brigand but I really get in trouble when I get a quest where I need to do some killings where there is just more than one mob in a pull..

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good casual solo quest class?

/BootieTrap

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

brawler (monk/bruiser)  or summoner (necro / mage)  are among the best soloers

necros solo better than mages because that have better pet heals with the Tainted Heals AA

• LunaniLunani Member Posts: 15

I like my fury to solo. heals and good damage are hard to beat.

can be a bit slow in the lower levels, but at about 25 it's starting to get a lot better. not as good as necro but still among the best soloers.

• RJO_RJO_ Member Posts: 174

I'd say Fury or one of the Summoners.  Fury you also get the added benefit of being able to be a viable healer as well... Gives you that extra edge if you are ever looking for a group.

• stv182stv182 Member Posts: 46

If you want a class that takes some skill but can be an amazing soloer try a Brigand and spec him down the int line for feign death.

Great boss killer, can go anywhere with no risk of death due to stealth + 100% guaranteed feign.

I would not recomment the int line for grouping since its mostly wasted but for solo feign death is a must for a quester/ farmer.

Hes also a great deal of fun and not a Dime a dozen like necro/fury unless you're on a pvp server.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Most popular solo choices seem to be Necro, Conjuror, Fury and Bruiser.

My main two characters a 76 Zerker & 61 Swashbuckler solo just fine also. 

• SkudklattenSkudklatten Member Posts: 23

Thank you all for those fine replies... I managed to get my Brigand up to lvl 30. But he handles multiple mobs very badly. Which of those classes handles multiple mobs (adds) the best?

I like that the Brigands really do massive dmg on a single mob.. but that just isn't enough when you get 1 or 2 adds and can't really take the dmg =/

/BootieTrap

• DuvarisDuvaris Member UncommonPosts: 127

I would say either necro or bruiser for multiple mobs. Necro pets can tank pretty well. Plus they can heal there pets and themselves with life taps. And for bruiser you can kill one or 2 then feign death and heal abit then rinse and repeat.

Originally posted by Skudklatten

Thank you all for those fine replies... I managed to get my Brigand up to lvl 30. But he handles multiple mobs very badly. Which of those classes handles multiple mobs (adds) the best?
    I like that the Brigands really do massive dmg on a single mob.. but that just isn't enough when you get 1 or 2 adds and can't really take the dmg =/

Berserkers can actually be quite destructive on multiple mobs from 50+ in particular.  Couple of nifty CA's they get then really puts the hurting on mulitple mobs.  That added with the fact they wear plate armor + the right AA set up and they are pretty formidable.

• How do Shadowknights and Paladins stack up in the list? And wizards and warlocks for that matter.

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

I would suggest saving yourself the headache and play World of Warcraft instead.  While both games can be soloed, you will be much more rewarded for doing so in WoW.  When I tried soloing in EQ2, I felt like I was constantly being punished for my play style.  The rewards were crap, the content was lack luster and the community as a whole despises us soloers.  WoW is a simpler game, but it's still very fun and it doesn't make me feel like an outsider for my play style and I have yet to see any difference in maturity level of either game's player base.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• FuhyoFuhyo Member Posts: 66

Monk is very solo friendly.  Got my monk up to Lvl 70 95% solo, the only time I grouped was to mentor down to help some friends.  But having said that, while it was a challenge to solo to the (at the time) lvl cap, I did feel that I lost out on the end game raid content.

Fuhyo

• mdolsenmdolsen Member Posts: 47

Conjuror (Good side)/ Necromancer (evil side) would be my picks.  The pets make your character almost like a duo, making mutiple mob pulls a relative breeze.....I have flown through the first 60 levels almost entirely solo at an excellent pace.

Originally posted by Sawtooth

How do Shadowknights and Paladins stack up in the list? And wizards and warlocks for that matter.

They are ok, they can still solo maybe not as good as other choices.  Probably the Wizard and the Shadowknight are the better of the four for soloing.

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

Originally posted by Vrazule

I would suggest saving yourself the headache and play World of Warcraft instead.  While both games can be soloed, you will be much more rewarded for doing so in WoW.  When I tried soloing in EQ2, I felt like I was constantly being punished for my play style.  The rewards were crap, the content was lack luster and the community as a whole despises us soloers.  WoW is a simpler game, but it's still very fun and it doesn't make me feel like an outsider for my play style and I have yet to see any difference in maturity level of either game's player base.
    When did you play EQ2? What you say was very much true at launch but now I feel very much rewarded when soloing in EQ2. It has a deeper gameplay than WoW and I like the lore and graphics better, also I think the fighting in EQ2 is more fun and there are a lot more classes and choices to be made (great things to me!).

Anyway EQ2 is a great game to solo in nowadays.

About Shadow knights, they are very good soloers, I would say better than paladins and berserkers but probably not as good as monks and bruisers. But they are a good choice for a plate wearing solo character.

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

In eq2 i was a happy solo'er when i didnt want to group with a plate tank healer palladin, with right points invested and some decent armor and master spells, especially the heals solo'ing was not a problem.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• xcaliburxcalibur Member Posts: 571

Shadowknights are awesome soloers.  Plate, good damage, decent aoe, healing through lifetaps...

• lillinlillin Member Posts: 207

Play a monk or bruiser.

This is very simple ................... they can fd at any time.  Basically baby starts crying, fd in the middle of killing and you are safe.  Right in the middle of mobs and totally safe for 12 hours till it wears off.  So you are soloing a dungeon want a smoke, fd where ya stand and pick up right where ya left off.

This stuff about necros and and such, sure a necro can fd but it pops ya up in a few minutes.  Yeah you could find a place to invis safely but if baby is crying you gotta move right then, cant waste time fighting to a safe spot .............. or gate out to walk all the way to where you were again.

I play a monk, and even though im told everyday day bruisers are so much better for soloing i have no problem killing what they kill, sometimes i can do it better.  So monk or bruiser ........... im not going to generalize the two like so many are quick to do ......... ie brawler is spike dps, monk is group defense ............ take your choice.  But for your situation brawler class.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Originally posted by Vrazule

Well that isn't my experience.  When I played wow the best stuff was the stuff you got from grouping in dungeons or later from raiding.  The stuff you get solo is mostly crap.  getting people to group is also pretty difficult without having a guild and even then now days it seems kinda rediculous.  I did eventually get a guild but nobody really did dungeons reasonably they would tend to log in a high lvl alt and run everyone through the dungeon to complete all the quests and get the great loot...

Even when I finally got into the raiding game there was a lot of conflict in the guild I was in with some people wanting to raid but having issues with other people in the guild wanting to do pvp.  This created a lot of strife with people bitching and arguing about people attending raids or not...  And again the best loots in the game come from raids.  At the high lvls you either raid or you pvp in arenas and that is about it. 

Frankly in eq2 today I find the quests to be much more enjoyable.  Unlike wow they don't tend to always send you across the zone then back and forth for each step.  EQ2 quests have far less running in them and they also have more general story and variety.  Some of the quests in neriak and sinking sands are great!  There is also a lot more variety of questing that is less conventional.  Things like collection quests which get kinda adicting.  Then there are catalog quests which can be interesting if you like to explore.  Or if you are a person that likes to get into wierd places like on top of buildings then there are some fun quests with a lot of vertical, climbing and jumping elements to them.  Well I could go on but the quests in EQ2 at release were comparable to Wow but with less running.  Today the quests in the later area's of eq2 really beat wow hands down.  The loot and itemization however I'd probably give wow the nod on that.  I think eq2 has come a long ways since release but they still need more variety.  That said you can get very good equipment from crafted items which again favors the soloer.

Overall I like eq2 a lot more then wow today.  I think it has come a LONG way since release where Wow has been fairly static.

I think the necro is a great soloing class although I think almost any class can do pretty well.  My main character is a swashbuckler and I have no problems soloing even con one up heroic mobs.   And while the necro has a big more flexibility in soloing I think my swashbucker can kill mobs faster.  But I've also played some other classes and my wife has every healer and frankly they all seem to do very well.  I think that eq2 is pretty well balanced for all classes.

---
    Ethion

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

For the first time, due to the Kunark release, I'm playing a Bruiser. I've never seen a character that can take the hits like this one. I'm soloing ^yellow's in groups.

Personally, I'd say this is the best solo character. You can do pretty much anything.

• SkudklattenSkudklatten Member Posts: 23

Thank you all for the very fine answers, comments and suggestions.

I actually ended up making a bruiser, necro and fury. Gonna try them all out and see which playstyle suits me the most. And a friend irl is considering starting to play the game and if that's the case I would prolly go for fury since he usualy plays a tank. He's been looking into SK and zerker. If he's not gonna start I will probably go for Bruiser or keep my Brigand. Did found out that the brigand is not  that bad after I got some nice upgrades on armor. But I did like the idea of being able to FD in mid of fight if the baby is crying. Good thinking (c;

Just a question... What makes the fury a better soloer than the Warden? Heard some ppl talking bout melee warden being just as good as a fury? Dunno what it means tho.. Druids are mainly casters aren't they?

/BootieTrap

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Maybe its just me but I found the warden takes longer to kill things than the fury.

Originally posted by Moirae

Maybe its just me but I found the warden takes longer to kill things than the fury.

That is correct... Warden is a more defensive druid where as Fury is more offensive.  That is where Fury gets its edge when it comes to soloing.

Originally posted by Skudklatten

I actually ended up making a bruiser, necro and fury. Gonna try them all out and see which playstyle suits me the most.

Let us know how the experiment goes :)