Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is this Sword of the New World?

How accurate does it depict the 17th century New World?

Does it have sailing?

Is there plenty of gear?

Does it feel like a real adventure?

I see dinosaurs in some screen shots? Why?

Are there Native Americans?

Although it is free, I do not have enough space on my laptop at the moment. Depending on what I learn I may just uninstall one of my games to play SotNW.

Comments

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

It doesn't depict 17th century life very well.  Its kinda like most Linear RPGs except with Boroque Architecture rather then medieval.  It is pretty though.  On your actual questions.

There are no player owned ships/combat.

There is new gear about every 4 levels as well as a variety of gear end-game.  However, the Sword of the New World version doesn't allow you to change your look when you equip new gear.

It could feel like a real adventure if the story was translated better.  Also it would feel more like an adventure if they used voice overs in a few areas.

Its just a monster.  As we all know most dinosaur fossils are found in North America.

You could consider some monsters like Native Americans, although in a really really rascist way.  There are phobitan who are native to the land and literally red-skinned.  You also end up killing them into the thousands, just like the real european explorers.

However, this game does have a few things riding on it.  Its combat system is very fluid and allows you to manage 3 characters at once.  Also each area was meticulously edited to allow for smooth movement.  The stance system also is a nice approach to leveling skills and gives a unique feel compared to other skill advancement systems.

• BaywillowBaywillow Member Posts: 70

I'll try it. Any suggestions?

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Its easy to not play the game once you hit 30.  I mean that as in its easy to fall into the trap of just letting your characters AFK level.  My suggestion is to only play the game when you want to play it.  You will suck out the enjoyment if you AFK level.  Also stick to 3 characters until you hit max level.  Its also real easy to wanna make 9 characters real early.  It would also suck out the fun if you keep having to level more then 3 characaters at the same time.

• BaywillowBaywillow Member Posts: 70

First impressions: this game is beautifully done. I love the art style. It feels really polished. The action is immense.

I started my 3 characters, the Reynols family, on Cesario. They are Malcolm the musketeer, Zoe the scout, and Inara the wizard, and I like this setup so far. They are all level 9.

So far I have reached this level 10ish dungeon, Al Quet something. This place is hard. I died many times in the 3rd room.

Also I have gotten lots of this missions and a few quests.

I think I'm getting the hang of the combat. My people kill everything too fast for me to use any of their specials. Sometimes my scout will wonder away from the main battle to chase some far off mob.

I'm still not sure how to play this game, as far as grabbing quests and where to go. Right now I'm just exploring and killing stuff on the way. I came across a few statues that give missions.

So how should I go about progressing in this game? Through quests? Grinding? Where should I go? Do I just explore? What are motivations for gaining a level? I haven't come across much gear except for an upgraded musket or dagger or rod.

Lastly, wheres the PvP? And when can I participate?

• boommer99boommer99 Member UncommonPosts: 309

Originally posted by Baywillow

First impressions: this game is beautifully done. I love the art style. It feels really polished. The action is immense.
    I started my 3 characters, the Reynols family, on Cesario. They are Malcolm the musketeer, Zoe the scout, and Inara the wizard, and I like this setup so far. They are all level 9.
    So far I have reached this level 10ish dungeon, Al Quet something. This place is hard. I died many times in the 3rd room.
    Also I have gotten lots of this missions and a few quests.
    I think I'm getting the hang of the combat. My people kill everything too fast for me to use any of their specials. Sometimes my scout will wonder away from the main battle to chase some far off mob.
    I'm still not sure how to play this game, as far as grabbing quests and where to go. Right now I'm just exploring and killing stuff on the way. I came across a few statues that give missions.

So how should I go about progressing in this game? Through quests? Grinding? Where should I go? Do I just explore? What are motivations for gaining a level? I haven't come across much gear except for an upgraded musket or dagger or rod.
    Lastly, wheres the PvP? And when can I participate?

Leveling is mostly about grinding but there are a lot of quests pre-50.

As for PvP, there are several different levels of PvP:

PK/Baron Mode: Basically once you hit Family Lvl 6 (usually this is about 4 characters at about 50) you can right click on another player and select force attack and start attacking them.  There are penalties associated with this like when you get PK'd you lose XP and when you are a Baron you drop unequipped items when you are killed.

PvP Soldier: There is a PvP Soldier in every major city and you can go there and join battles... no one really does though...

AM PvP Events: This is a GM run event at the PvP Soldier, you can win costumes for besting everyone else.  These are a lot of fun.  They happen every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  You can see more here:  http://forum.swordofthenewworld.com/index.php?showtopic=15765

Clan Wars: Any clan about 52 in opposing Faction can war with each other.  This is one of the big reasons to be in a clan.  There is no limit to when they can war.

Faction Wars: This is something that the Sword servers have yet.  But basically there are colonies all around the world.  During a Faction War, Clans battle each other to take control of these colonies.  Each colony gives the controling Clan a buff.  So the more colony you clan has the better.  Also at the end of the Faction War the faction with the most colonies is deemed the 'controling faction'.  There is some benefit associated with this... but it is not clear yet what that is.  Finally, during Faction Wars ANY Clan can declare war on any other Clan regardless of Faction alignment.

---
    Bartle Test Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 26.67%, Socializer 66.67%