Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's it like...

13»

Comments

• PunisherXPunisherX Member Posts: 231

So what is the highest amount of characters you have seen on at a time?

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by Aspirant13

For me, SW was always about how cool it is to have a lightsaber. I tried the new trial, and after figuring out how long i was going to have to grind to get one, I lost interest.

I'm going to assume there is a reason this is post #1 for you.  Although, on one of my trips back to NGE, there was a noobie asking at what level he got his lightsaber.  What a good laugh that was.

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by PunisherX

A current player will have to give you the answer on that one...but if you are talking about in its "hay day"...in Corolag's cantina on both Bria and Chilastra there would easily be two full groups of ents (group = 20 at that time) plus more people wanting group, "patrons" watching the entertainers, a couple of master dancers/musicians on the side with people grouped for buffs.....so easily 50-60+ people in that one location, not to mention the people in and right outside the spaceport  and that was just one server city.  Participated in an event on Bria one time involving Tuskens that had so many people show up the lag was so bad one could hardly move and it was difficult to get away from the location.  Also participated in a multi-guild event on Chilastra one time of imperials destroying rebel bases that involved several full groups.  Several of us experienced a crash during the event and some claimed we had "overloaded" that section of the server due to the number of people in such a small area.  If one knew the "hot spots" for a server (usually around cantinas or spaceports/shuttles), one had no problem finding people.

Side comment to person who grouped with level 90 and found the "con" mixed-up.  The game has gone through several stages with grouping....originally, people did not have levels posted on them, one could group with anyone and animals always spawned at the same difficulty level (ex. a random spawned mountain squill was the same difficulty as a mountain squill from a mission and the level didn't show...although they did have a level which a CH found out if they successfully tamed an animal), ease of kill was more about group size (if the highest level player left, as long as there were enough players still in the group and they worked well together, they could still survive), solo groups became popular and one could end up with lairs more difficult than one could handle but armor and buffs allowed one to solo higher than one should have been able; then came the CU and levels were plastered on everything, what the group could kill became based on the highest level player in the group, if grouped with someone higher you got less damage and could hit harder than normal, if the highest player in the group was still grouped but was not with the group you could still survive but if the highest level player left the group you suddenly were getting slaughtered by things you had been wiping out with ease; then NGE hit and the group dynamics changed again, there was no longer the desire to do mission terminal lairs for xp because one got better xp from doing quest lines, no matter what levels you were grouped with the damage you took and gave seemed to be based on your own level rather than the level of the group...basically, I think SWG has moved more and more over time to the model of most MMOs with "only people of x level in this group."

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

Now I have another question, is there any way to tell the Star Wars Galaxies creators what you would like to see in the game?

Sure on the official station forums, but dont waste your time the devs have not listened to the customers for the past 4 or 5 years. They just keep ramming unwanted changes down there throats

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Oh wow I think it was July or August 2004 and places like Theed, Coronet and even player cities around Dant (on Lowca) were packed and I actually counted the people around Coronet due to a conversation on ventrilo, I still remember there were 214 people in the whole city (courtyard, starport, bazaar and cantina) and there was sometimes 2 doctor buff line but when I counted there was only 1 so that wasn't the busiest time. Then I hopped over to Theed and there were 91 people.

Now you're lucky to even find 20 people in Restuss these days and about 5 people in major NPC cities.

Time has certainly changed.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Originally posted by sookster54

Oh wow I think it was July or August 2004 and places like Theed, Coronet and even player cities around Dant (on Lowca) were packed and I actually counted the people around Coronet due to a conversation on ventrilo, I still remember there were 214 people in the whole city (courtyard, starport, bazaar and cantina) and there was sometimes 2 doctor buff line but when I counted there was only 1 so that wasn't the busiest time. Then I hopped over to Theed and there were 91 people.

Now you're lucky to even find 20 people in Restuss these days and about 5 people in major NPC cities.

Time has certainly changed.

I was from Lowca to, and I'll tell you that this is no exageration.

I can remember in the very early days places like Dearic on Talus were like this.

I don't think there's even 250 people on the WHOLE server of Lowca anymore, I remember Lowca averaging "light" on the server status before the CU/NGE but a few months after the NGE it showed "medium" yet Lowca had noticably lost a big chunk of people (mostly from FEDS, Omen, Goon and HONOR) but now shows very light all the time. Exactly the same situation occured on Tarquinas, nowadays there's hardly any player bounties for my old-timer BH on there.

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

Here are the most recent published stats, it seems to me that there are more than 250 people since there are 349 officers and the GCW ranks are but a small fraction of any servers total population.

• 48 Bounty Hunter (13.75%), 47 Commando (13.46%), 2 Entertainer (0.57%), 132 Jedi (37.82%), 52 Medic (14.89%), 21 Officer (6.01%), 15 Smuggler (4.29%), 28 Spy (8.02%), 4 Trader (1.14%),

• 120 Imperial (34.38%), 229 Rebel (65.61%),

• 40 Captain (11.46%), 49 Colonel (14.04%), 103 General (29.51%), 96 Lieutenant (27.5%), 32 Lt Colonel / Commander (9.16%), 29 Major (8.3%),

• 349 Lowca (100%),

Is that excluding alts? :) I was probably exaggurating but I know a few people that has all 2 or 3 of their chars ranked. Personally I don't have the patience or time to even have 1 ranked since I no longer pvp.

Here's an example of this from just one person:

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Chilastra is still populated today.  Although with Chapter 7 it hasn't happened much since most people are PvE'ing, we've had a number of PvP battles that had over 100 people particpating.  When Chapter 7 went Live, the Village was packed with people checking it out.  Not too many people at the Village now since people prefer to use Camps to get to the instances....but there's usually 3-5 groups standing outsite the instances getting ready to go in.

• GuernicaGuernica Member Posts: 71

FarStar seems reasonably busy. The item count on the bazaar has fallen in the last three months by around a quarter, but the Imp chat is fairly constant and there are usually at least a dozen people standing around at Mos Eisley most times of the day.

I've been away a few months and am pleasantly surprised to see most of my friends list are online at least once a day.

Interestingly there are a lot of new names running around the place as well. A few new toons that could be alts or second accounts, sure. But there are also a lot of cl90 toons too I don't know. I've been playing for two years as well, so chances are these are returning vets.

Not as populated as I'd like it to be, for sure. But enough to make the server worth playing on.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I like the game, but is really a plain simple game, it is fun but it have no depth, except for housing options, tons of huge planets to explore, agood amount  of starships to have, etc but, in the basic feature of the game, the combat system, is just too  much easy. But I like it.

Aye, the new content is a welcome addition. The collections system gives high level toons a reason to go somewhere other than Restuss or Mos Eisley and the Heroic instances present a new challenge.

I'm hoping this is only a taste of things to come. New collections are probably inevitable. Hopefully there will be more heroics as well but with more effort required to get in and through them. It was kinda easy to get keyed for the three we have so far and I have friends who are bored of them  already, having run all three every day since launch.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Chapter 8 will have new collections and at least one new Heroic encounter.  Being a chapter supposebly dedicated to space content, rumours are flying around that it may be a space themed Encounter.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

To the OP:

I played mostly on Valcyn (a small server) in the good days of this game, and on virtually any FRI/SAT/SUN night, there would be a running PvP battle around Anchorhead/Bestine and typically there'd be up to 150-200 players on a side. And it would roll for hours sometimes. I played a bit on Bria, and some of the battles in the same places all but crashed the server, because of too many people, double that of Valcyn, easy.

Now? Maybe 30 or 40 on a side on one or two servers. That is how far the pop in this game has fallen. Yup, used to 50+ ENTERTAINERS in several of the cantinas back then, not counting customers. Now lucky to see 50 players in game sometimes. Good luck finding a non loot vendor or paying less than a silly amount of credits for previously mundane, common items.

If you want to play a populated game, either pick one of the top three servers, or pick another game, and I'd suggest the latter. Give another company your money. Not even Koster himself could save what remains of SWG. Might as well drive a stake through its heart already...

• bedolla3401bedolla3401 Member Posts: 293
    Originally posted by Agricola1

Originally posted by Obraik

I really don't think you can compare contracting HIV to past development mishaps in a game...
    My point is that they've learnt their lesson far too late, would you agree with that or do you believe SWG is salvagable and could be brought back to it's former glory?

i think SWG can be saved and brought back to its former glory, everyone just need to have patience and WAIT and see whats going to happen instead of wanting it all now.  And as a SWG vet, i didnt start playing until just after the hologrind (which i wished i had started playing) pre cu was awesome you have 32 professions that u can mix up to what ever u wanted  .  Jedi was how it was suppose to be HARD to get instead now a freaking starting class.  but now its getting little better but slowly.  But the only advice i can give is you can take in all the responses you hear and think about it or try the 14 day trial and play for yourself and see what its like.

It absolutely could be saved. Its getting better all the time - more content, more choices, less bugs. Still some bugs, but absolutely all games, especially MMO's have lots of bugs. Not as much content and choices as some other choices, but there is a steady stream of new stuff coming out and its all STAR WARS! The biggest thing missing from the game is players. Its true there are not a huge number on many of the US/Oceanic servers and only two of the three EU servers are worth looking at (my opinion only). And that, sadly, is the one area SOE do not seem to be addressing. You cannot even buy a copy of SWG in a shop. A few dusty copies on Ebay, thats it. Now you can download the game, and some would say thats the future of publishing anyway. But there is no associated marketing push for SWG. You would only know there even was a Star Wars MMO from hearing bad press from disgruntled former players or if you were a Star Wars fan and sought it out.

Without new players being brought in to experience the new content, new choices, and unique Star Wars universe, the game won't be saved, it will just fade away. There have been rumours of a 'new' Star Wars MMO for years. Maybe they are true and thats why SOE isn't pushing SWG. Maybe they just don't have enough faith in their ability to deliver a quality SWG experience when they're up against so much competition that hasn't suffered the years and misfortune SWG has.

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274

SWG is worth buying and trying out for at least 30 days. I have had 2 years of dedicated playing, most of it post NGE (new game enhancments). I was only able to play pre NGE for like two weeks....the NGE came out suprising everyone. A good rule of thumb stay away from the official forums. Most official forums tend to be negative and turn into flame fests. If you need a guide or other info just google a search and there are tons of guides available.