Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RMT Issues

nofx11nofx11 Member Posts: 44

Would a game like this do well against deterring RMT and why do you think.  I would love to see a system that removes rmt altogether, and would like to know if Darkfall is the game to do it. (If its ever released)

Comments

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199

I can't see RMT being a factor in an FFA PvP game.  It's very easy for players to spot bots and RMT in other games, I'd imagine it'd be the same here.  Stumbling across farmers in public zones, I can see players cooperating with one another to massacre RMT again and again, until they give up and go elsewhere.

So, in answer to your question, yes, I think this game will do a very good job of stomping on RMT.

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

I think it will do better then WoW. In WoW I would try to kill the farmer and the farmer would jsut rez and help me kill my mobs. This terrified and spooked me when the farmer did that. I just left her alone after that lol

Alas, I am uncertain. in what ways do the Farmers annoy you?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

There will still be RMT....just means they'll have to use fewer bots and more active players behind the wheels.... the gold will cost more of course, but you'll still be able to buy it.

Don't underestimate the power of farmers, if players start preying on them, they'll form their own gank squads for defense, I saw this happen in L2.....

Still, its nice to have guilt free targets .....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

How weird is that?

The farmers need guards to protect them. L2 were levelbased, so there were not much to do agenst the farmers (if you vere 22 and they were lvl 50).

In DF you atleast can get those bastards with a fair chance.

• eosyneeosyne Member UncommonPosts: 392

i could assume there would be plenty enough bot hunters

they should be very afraid in darkfall.

btw you can be looted so if you rmt and get stomped nice waste of money haha

it might be smarter to leave it out of this one, but only time can tell

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332

Originally posted by jackeccs

Keep in mind, the same anti-griefing rules that protect the average player from random pking will also protect the farmers from random pking and they'll be willing to set up perma- red characters/accounts because they won't need to worry about their faction

Nor will they worry about losing gear because they'll have all they need. If fact, I imagine you could end up with farmer cities, wouldn't those be fun to siege?

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

I have one question?

I know UO were 10 yesrs ago, but how did the "bot sitution" look like then?

Maybe DF will be similar?

• QuestionableQuestionable Member Posts: 653

Originally posted by Trollstar

Originally posted by jackeccs

Keep in mind, the same anti-griefing rules that protect the average player from random pking will also protect the farmers from random pking and they'll be willing to set up perma- red characters/accounts because they won't need to worry about their faction

Nor will they worry about losing gear because they'll have all they need. If fact, I imagine you could end up with farmer cities, wouldn't those be fun to siege?

Your right they are protected from random pking but they arent exactly safe fighting monsters. Also not all monsters will have gold or give out enough to cover any repairs you might have. This means they would have to kill higher up monsters which is even more dangerous especially if they get ganged up. So then they lose their money and all equips.

How exactly would they have all they need? Weapons, armor, reagents, repairs. All these cost money and can all be lost in a moments notice anywhere. Though yes those cities will be fun to seige.

So the farmers will have their own citys??

LOL This get better and better all the time. It means these citys will always have the highest amount of farmed resourses.

And its free for all to siege them (as you said).......hmm, could it be that it will be these farmers that will keep the economy going? Not the ordinary casual farmers?

I like it, they will create more conflict then the racewars : )

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

Don't be blind to RMT roots.  Big guilds have been using RMT to fund guild vacation/get togethers for years.  Also, they sell items/gold to pay for guild websites and communication tools among other things.  So please, enough with the /cry the RMTers are going to ruin the game for us talk.  There was a report by Mr. Yantis a couple years ago where he even said his highest profits/sales come from PvP servers and guilds.  They all try to one up each other and that just means more money to him because these guilds are either selling to him or buying from him.  Either way, the RMT companies thrive best in PvP games.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

But im still wondering about how the RMT were in UO and SB?

Originally posted by daarco

I remember from the original G&H forums, one guy talked about how bad RMT was and how much coin his guild leader sold.  The guild leader took those who wanted to Vegas for a "guild get together" where each guild member had an all expenses paid vacation to Vegas thanks to the RMT he did in SB.  Sad part was, there a few people with similar stories from SB, L2, UO, EVE and other games.

In my opinion, all of these game companies need to sell their currency/items so cheap that no one could possibly make any money off it but then too many people would cry foul. 

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• hopefadeshopefades Member Posts: 46

I wouldn't mind a game that lets you sell your items and stuff in-game for real world $..

• outlaw101outlaw101 Member Posts: 351
    Originally posted by hopefades

I wouldn't mind a game that lets you sell your items and stuff in-game for real world $..

That system would be a failure, I'm glad DFO isn't doing that.

"Don't hold breath about another KOTOR game coming from Bioware" - Chris Preistly

"Bioware is more intrested in pursueing development of it's own Intellectual properties"

- James Henly

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332

Originally posted by daarco

I recall an early story about UO, and how one of their devs or support staff started selling gold and or items (maybe even houses) online (that he created using his god-powers) and made many thousands of dollars until they caught him.

And the first gold I ever bought was in DAOC before the asian farmers had come into their own which was sold to me a regular player here in the states who had lots of free time on his hands so he sold gold to make a bit of money.

SB I don't recall seeing much RMT, but it was very easy to make money in SB, I don't think I ever found myself short of money for much of anything.  SB did it right, the drops you got from PVE farming were great, always very useful for your character, sold for a bunch of cash to npc vendors or other players, and when someone stole something or looted your corpse it wasn't the end of the world, you just went out and got some more.

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

Originally posted by hopefades

Try EQ2   They have what is called Exchange Servers.  On those servers you can do exactly that and it is perfectly legal.  Here is a link to that  http://eq2.stationexchange.com/ and you can read all the details about it http://stationexchange.station.sony.com/

Hope that helps.

• eosyneeosyne Member UncommonPosts: 392

does this game even have anti-griefing? i havn't read anything about that in any official posts or faqs. it was quoted that if you want to kill someone kill them. doesn't say you have to be or do or have so and so to do that. just do it

You can TRY to kill anyone, and pay the price if you loose : )      (all will laugh at you)